Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Lemlin wrote: »
    Tyrone won at the third attempt last night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/12918407.stm

Tyrone play Monaghan next Wednesday. I'm expecting a Tyrone/Cavan final and a very tough game for Cavan.

This Tyrone team are well drilled and used to very big games. They were minor All-Ireland champions in 2008 and 2010. The Cavan panel has no experience like that.

Tyrone went six points behind last night and still had the experience to come back.

There seems to be a big push to get people to the Louth game at the weekend. First time ever I've seen a big flashing sign on the N3 advertising a League game.

Could it be that any of the u-21s could be used with the seniors for the league game on Sunday?Afterall,Cavan are in a relegation dogfight so with the under 21s doing well there must be a drive to get more fans behind the footballers which seems to have been lacking these last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

blackbelt wrote: »
    Could it be that any of the u-21s could be used with the seniors for the league game on Sunday?Afterall,Cavan are in a relegation dogfight so with the under 21s doing well there must be a drive to get more fans behind the footballers which seems to have been lacking these last few years.

Game is Saturday just in case you are thinking of going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Good win last night. Heard the lads weren't great but a win is a win. Fate is in our own hands now. Beat Tipp and we stay in Division 3.

Good win last night. Heard the lads weren't great but a win is a win. Fate is in our own hands now. Beat Tipp and we stay in Division 3.

One of the worst games of football i have been at in ages and that includes the Waterford game this year. Tipp are on a bit of a roll now and are after winning a couple in a row and i presume Cavan wont have the U-21 lads who made a big difference the other night.

celt262 wrote: »
    One of the worst games of football i have been at in ages and that includes the Waterford game this year. Tipp are on a bit of a roll now and are after winning a couple in a row and i presume Cavan wont have the U-21 lads who made a big difference the other night.

3 of the U21s were used and I heard it may be regretted as Gearoid McKiernan went off injured. He's an important player for the U21s.

I still think Cavan should have enough to beat Tipp at home and stay in Division 3. Here's hoping anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

G. McKiernan, thankfully, is none the worse of his knock on Saturday night and is fine now. The Tipp game will not be easy and given that the U-21s have a game on the Wednesday they won't be played. But a win is a must, in Breffni so there can be no excuses. It would be typical of Cavan to beat Louth and fall short against Tipp but now is the time to show their grit and win this game by any means necessary. A survival dogfight is never pretty, an ugly scrappy controversial 1 point victory would do just fine.

What is particularly concerning for me is David Givney, one of the brightest prospects we have had in years and he is being dogged by injuries. This is his 3rd year at Senior football and he should be getting into his stride and making a name for himself in the midfield. Instead he is in and out of the team making the odd substitute appearance. Please God this won't be another Michael Lyng scenario. If we are to progress against Antrim or Donegal this summer, a mammoth ask for this team in their current position, then we need to have David Givney fully fit and playing well partnering McKiernan in midfield.

G. McKiernan, thankfully, is none the worse of his knock on Saturday night and is fine now. The Tipp game will not be easy and given that the U-21s have a game on the Wednesday they won't be played. But a win is a must, in Breffni so there can be no excuses. It would be typical of Cavan to beat Louth and fall short against Tipp but now is the time to show their grit and win this game by any means necessary. A survival dogfight is never pretty, an ugly scrappy controversial 1 point victory would do just fine.

What is particularly concerning for me is David Givney, one of the brightest prospects we have had in years and he is being dogged by injuries. This is his 3rd year at Senior football and he should be getting into his stride and making a name for himself in the midfield. Instead he is in and out of the team making the odd substitute appearance. Please God this won't be another Michael Lyng scenario. If we are to progress against Antrim or Donegal this summer, a mammoth ask for this team in their current position, then we need to have David Givney fully fit and playing well partnering McKiernan in midfield.

That's good news about Givney. Is it true that Louth fielded a weakened team? If we've reached the level that we have to risk our U21s against a weakened Louth team, then we're at a pretty poor level. I'd imagine that Tyrone aren't risking there's.

I've a feeling we'll be playing Donegal and that Murphy will beat us on his own. A good run in the qualifiers is the most we can hope for at senior level.

I'd take the seniors getting hammered every game for an Ulster U21 title to be honest. Winning something at U21 or minor is the most important thing for Cavan at present IMO.

That's good news about Givney. Is it true that Louth fielded a weakened team? If we've reached the level that we have to risk our U21s against a weakened Louth team, then we're at a pretty poor level. I'd imagine that Tyrone aren't risking there's.

I've a feeling we'll be playing Donegal and that Murphy will beat us on his own. A good run in the qualifiers is the most we can hope for at senior level.

I'd take the seniors getting hammered every game for an Ulster U21 title to be honest. Winning something at U21 or minor is the most important thing for Cavan at present IMO.

I don't think Louth had a weak team out? I know Judge was injured but I think Rooney was playing and Keenan was definitely playing. That was Louth's promotion game they needed it as much as we did. They did however play terribly and kicked 3 or 4 easy frees wide and the same again into the goalie's hands. Some credit must go to our much maligned full back line who did well.

As regards taking an U-21 win over a Senior one I totally agree. The Ulster Final will be the difference between this group being Winners or being 'Nearly-Men'.. It's a massive ask though especially if they end up facing Tyrone, they have a fantastically talented team.
    The Celt alluded to the attitude after the Donegal game as opposed to the Monaghan game at the same stage last year. No backslapping or pitch invasion this time just the sense of a job well done for the evening, they have their eyes on the Cup and nothing else so their mentality seems spot on.

I'd like to see how many of this team are survivors from the 2008 Minor team that lost narrowly to Tyrone..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Good win though louth were poor and i would stick with corr at full hopefully he will grow into it.i
    Louth seemed like us no gameplan at all.
    Givney is hopefully going to be the real deal he just needs a clear run at it..
    Least if we beat tipp we stay up...
    The u21s will hopefully go one better this year its by no means sure that we will have tyrone yet.
    Monaghan will be tough beat in the semi...

• Advertisement

I don't think Louth had a weak team out? I know Judge was injured but I think Rooney was playing and Keenan was definitely playing. That was Louth's promotion game they needed it as much as we did. .

Judge and keenan played and rooney came on near the end.

I will put my neck on the line and say without our U-21's Tipp will win next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Tipp could be relegated too,it wont help.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Torlac

So, Tyrone in the final, any thoughts how this will pan out?

Torlac wrote: »
    So, Tyrone in the final, any thoughts how this will pan out?

I dread to think but I would imagine we are underdogs and they are clear favourites.

Team for today's match announced:

Cavan (NFL v Tipperary): J Reilly; J McEnroe, T Corr, D O'Dowd; M McKeever, P O'Reilly, D O'Reilly; J McCutcheon, D Givney; K Fannin, R Cullivan, R Flanagan; S Johnston, C Mackey, E Keating.

Team for today's match announced:

Cavan (NFL v Tipperary): J Reilly; J McEnroe, T Corr, D O'Dowd; M McKeever, P O'Reilly, D O'Reilly; J McCutcheon, D Givney; K Fannin, R Cullivan, R Flanagan; S Johnston, C Mackey, E Keating.

Well done on the win and staying up. we are lucky to be staying with ye. best of luck in the u21 final. Would be nice to see a Cavan resurgence in football.

• Advertisement

Well done on the win and staying up. we are lucky to be staying with ye. best of luck in the u21 final. Would be nice to see a Cavan resurgence in football.

Was anyone else at yesterday's game?

First half was a poor show despite us being ahead at the break. At the start of the second half, we blitzed Tipp though and went 16 to 8 points up before David Givney was sent off. I was actually quite pleased with the team in the second half. Eugene Keating really came into the game after a poor showing against Louth and the first half. The forwards also started to shoot a bit more rather than looking for Johnston the whole time. The only two forwards out of the six I would be concerned about were Cullivan, who didn't look fit, and Mackey who, well, just didn't do much.

The back line did well and Givney was good in midfield. With him and Gearoid McKiernan there in the championship, we'll have a stronger midfield than any recent year. The bench also didn't look to shabby - Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brennan, Anthony Gaynor and Gareth Smith all being on it.

With the U21s to come back to the panel, I actually do think that Andrews and Hyland are making progress. I didn't doubt them but I did think that it could be next year before a bit was made.

Now the seniors hand it over to the county U21s to do the business on Wednesday. It's a big ask but here's hoping.

Was anyone else at yesterday's game?

First half was a poor show despite us being ahead at the break. At the start of the second half, we blitzed Tipp though and went 16 to 8 points up before David Givney was sent off. I was actually quite pleased with the team in the second half. Eugene Keating really came into the game after a poor showing against Louth and the first half. The forwards also started to shoot a bit more rather than looking for Johnston the whole time. The only two forwards out of the six I would be concerned about were Cullivan, who didn't look fit, and Mackey who, well, just didn't do much.

The back line did well and Givney was good in midfield. With him and Gearoid McKiernan there in the championship, we'll have a stronger midfield than any recent year. The bench also didn't look to shabby - Dermot Sheridan, Michael Brennan, Anthony Gaynor and Gareth Smith all being on it.

With the U21s to come back to the panel, I actually do think that Andrews and Hyland are making progress. I didn't doubt them but I did think that it could be next year before a bit was made.

Now the seniors hand it over to the county U21s to do the business on Wednesday. It's a big ask but here's hoping.

Was the game a colour clash by any chance because i feel both our Home and 2nd choice shirt clash with Cavan's new home shirt?

152389.jpg

Was the game a colour clash by any chance because i feel both our Home and 2nd choice shirt clash with Cavan's new home shirt?

152389.jpg

I was wondering why Cavan wore their white away jerseys despite being the home team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

well down to our U21s! - finally some silverware and a great achievement to be proud of!

will this talent manisfest itself into the senior panel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

This win has been a long time coming and I couldn't be happier for the lads. They deserve it big time.

• Advertisement

is the semi final on in parnell park this sat evening?

PGL wrote: »
    is the semi final on in parnell park this sat evening?

Yes, I thought they'd have to change it but Cavan management reckon it won't be according to interviews on the radio. Final is down for April 30th.

It's a disgrace if it goes ahead.

finally something to cheer about. Well done to the team and management

I think Cavan people should talk this team up,they have talked themselves down for far too long.A decent run in the seniors (even the quailifiers)would lift everyone.:)

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    I think Cavan people should talk this team up,they have talked themselves down for far too long.A decent run in the seniors (even the quailifiers)would lift everyone.:)

Couldn't agree more Gerry. However the senior panel need to play their part too. I'm not expecting them to play above themselves winning Ulster or All-Ireland titles etc. I'm referring to the fact that there appears to be a self destruct button in a lot of the players (past and present) who seem to lose the head quite easily and end up getting needless yellow and red cards.

If they can do themselves justice in terms of performance and discipline you'll soon start to hear the positive vibes coming from within and out of the county.

Just my opinion looking in from outside of the county. Maybe people who have closer links to the panel can enlighten the debate.

An All Ireland Final beckons for the breffni blues! - can we dare to dream of an all-ireland title after all these years?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great to see a county like Cavan in an All Ireland final - the very best of luck to ye. Ye will have it all to do as Galway are a fine football team.

Paul Brady is going for his 8th All Ireland 40X20 Handball Championship tomorrow. He faces Charly Shanks of Armagh in Abbeylara. If Paul wins he will hold the record for the most All Ireland's ever in the small alley.

Win or lose it is a phenomenal achievement and he is without doubt one of the most under rated athletes in Ireland over the last decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Any highlights from tonights game?

P. Brady defeated C. Shanks 21-17 21-3, to record his 7th successive All Ireland senior 40x20 singles success and also becomes the first Irish player in history to win 8 All Ireland senior singles 40x20 titles in Abbeylara today.

Amazing achievement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Was just wondering which club has the most players involved with the senior county?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    P. Brady defeated C. Shanks 21-17 21-3, to record his 7th successive All Ireland senior 40x20 singles success and also becomes the first Irish player in history to win 8 All Ireland senior singles 40x20 titles in Abbeylara today.

Amazing achievement.

outstanding result, delighted for him. winning with a broken finger unreal

Im after seeing that there, that is fu*ckin phenomenal.

I believe success breeds success,with the TRUE GRIT shown in the under 21s football,and Paul Brady in handball, Cavan are going in the right direction.LETS KEEP IT GOING.:)

Was just wondering which club has the most players involved with the senior county?

The Gaels used to in previous years but they have very few on the panel this year. That said, Seanie Johnston is worth the rest of the forwards scores combined in most matches!

This year's team is an assortment from alot of different teams. Castlerahan have three or four though so they probably have the most on the panel.

The Gaels used to in previous years but they have very few on the panel this year. That said, Seanie Johnston is worth the rest of the forwards scores combined in most matches!

This year's team is an assortment from alot of different teams. Castlerahan have three or four though so they probably have the most on the panel.

Do they not just have 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

So a Galway v Cavan U-21 final, an unusual pairing but that's no harm.

I have to admit I haven't seen this Cavan team play so know very little about them. From a Galway perspective we were surprised to beat Cork, this Cork team were odds-on to win it out. Galway dug in and ground it out, and when they put Cork on the back foot in the last 10-15 mins the Cork lads panicked and were the orchestrators of their own downfall really.
    Hopefully it'll be a good game anyway, a win in this one would be a big lift to either county, neither have been setting the world alight at senior level recently. No idea yet of where it will be played.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    So a Galway v Cavan U-21 final, an unusual pairing but that's no harm.

I have to admit I haven't seen this Cavan team play so know very little about them. From a Galway perspective we were surprised to beat Cork, this Cork team were odds-on to win it out. Galway dug in and ground it out, and when they put Cork on the back foot in the last 10-15 mins the Cork lads panicked and were the orchestrators of their own downfall really.
    Hopefully it'll be a good game anyway, a win in this one would be a big lift to either county, neither have been setting the world alight at senior level recently. No idea yet of where it will be played.

This Cavan team is decent, we haven't gone behind by more than 2 points to any team yet and unusually for a Cavan team seem very comfortable holding onto a lead, they are very adept at getting ahead by 2-3 points with a burst and then tagging on scores to match their opponents even for large periods of the game. Two quality free takers in Reilly and Brady have frees on both sides covered and McDermott and Brady are very dangerous from play.

However watching this Galway side on TG4 Saturday night I would say they have the edge, they have a stronger midfield than Cavan who have one ball playing midfielder at his most comfortable going forward and a work horse who breaks up play. Also Galway's forwards look to be stronger as a group than what we have faced thus far. Cavan have had luck on their side against Tyrone and Wexford, both games could easily have swung in another direction, Tyrone denied a penalty and missing a 2 on 1 goal chance and Wexford hitting the post twice and our midfielder clearing off the line twice.

Comparisons with other teams going into a final aren't a good marker but it's worth noting that Galway disposed of Roscommon with ease in the Connacht Final, a team that Cavan struggled to get past in the Hastings Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 cartoonninja

Found out there that ballinagh have four on the panel five if you count macdermott who will most likely join up with the senior panel after the u21s are finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭irishbuzz

Cavan vs Galway u21 final fixed for May 1st in Croke Park :D

Match will be a curtain-raiser to Dublin vs Kilkenny NHL final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Shall be a good day out in croker for all cavan Folk...:)..And a win would just be great :)

Found out there that ballinagh have four on the panel five if you count macdermott who will most likely join up with the senior panel after the u21s are finished

I stand corrected. I'm probably think of previous years where Castlerahan had three or four.

On a different note, I far prefer Cavan being underdogs. I hear Galway have a very strong midfielder though, who is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

I hear Galway have a very strong midfielder though, who is he?

Tomás Flynn in particular was outstanding in the semi-final, and completely outplayed Aidan Walsh. Ó Curraoin was excellent too. Both are very good strong midfielders. They are only 18/19 years of age but Cork' two talented midfielders Walsh and Micheál Ó Laoire were struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Galway's midfield were excellent alright, a great boost since it's an area we've struggled badly in at senior level. This Galway team is much better than I thought they would be at the start of the year, and the win over Cork was no fluke.

On the other hand any team that wins Ulster has to be doing something right, so I expect Cavan to be tough opponents. And great to have it in Croke Park, I had heard Markiewicz Park mentioned initially, but Croke Park is a far more fitting venue for an All-Ireland Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

From the Hogan Stand cavan section:
    Ticket info for Cadbury U21FC final
    19 April 2011

Tickets for the Cadbury All-Ireland U21FC final against Galway at Croke Park on Sunday 1 May are to be ordered through clubs.

Ticket cost €25 for adults; students and OAP's are €25 (€10 concession is available on submission of ticket at selected turnstiles), while children up to U16 are just €5.

Family tickets are available (Cusack and Davin stands only) which can consist of any combination eg. 1 Adult & 4 Children, 3 Adults & 4 children, 4 Adults and 1 Child etc.

All tickets are to be ordered through the Club. Clubs must submit orders by MIDNIGHT on Sunday 24th April.

Club orders will be available for collection from Tuesday 26th April to Friday 29th April.
    http://hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=146549

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Guess I'll be shaving and shrinking as I try sly in with an U16 ticket...:D

This Cavan team is decent, we haven't gone behind by more than 2 points to any team yet and unusually for a Cavan team seem very comfortable holding onto a lead, they are very adept at getting ahead by 2-3 points with a burst and then tagging on scores to match their opponents even for large periods of the game. Two quality free takers in Reilly and Brady have frees on both sides covered and McDermott and Brady are very dangerous from play.

However watching this Galway side on TG4 Saturday night I would say they have the edge, they have a stronger midfield than Cavan who have one ball playing midfielder at his most comfortable going forward and a work horse who breaks up play. Also Galway's forwards look to be stronger as a group than what we have faced thus far. Cavan have had luck on their side against Tyrone and Wexford, both games could easily have swung in another direction, Tyrone denied a penalty and missing a 2 on 1 goal chance and Wexford hitting the post twice and our midfielder clearing off the line twice.

Comparisons with other teams going into a final aren't a good marker but it's worth noting that Galway disposed of Roscommon with ease in the Connacht Final, a team that Cavan struggled to get past in the Hastings Cup.

I think this Cavan team have come a long way since they were at minor level. It's great to see this group of players winning games because, all too often, Cavan have snapped defeat from the jaws of victory. A winning mentality is greatly needed in Cavan and has been lacking for too long. These lads appear to be used to grinding out results and that's the bit of class that Tyrone and Armagh, and now perhaps Down have, that the rest of Ulster don't.

I can acknowledge your point re luck but I don't think luck comes into it myself. I'm sure any team can look back over games and say with one bounce of the ball different or one shot not hitting the post etc. However, it's the true teams like Kerry and Tyrone that are always on the right side of the bounce and I don't believe its luck, I believe its having a winning mentality where they grind out results. As the saying goes, a great team make their own luck.

One thing I noticed last week was a picture of the Virginia College team that won two Vocational school All-Ireland championships in a row. It's amazing how many of those two panels are on this U21 team. Some of these lads have been to All-Ireland finals before and have great experience of playing in big matches and grinding out results. That's exactly what Cavan need.

No matter what the result next Sunday though, this has been a great year for Cavan football already.

I think this Cavan team have come a long way since they were at minor level. It's great to see this group of players winning games because, all too often, Cavan have snapped defeat from the jaws of victory. A winning mentality is greatly needed in Cavan and has been lacking for too long. These lads appear to be used to grinding out results and that's the bit of class that Tyrone and Armagh, and now perhaps Down have, that the rest of Ulster don't.

I can acknowledge your point re luck but I don't think luck comes into it myself. I'm sure any team can look back over games and say with one bounce of the ball different or one shot not hitting the post etc. However, it's the true teams like Kerry and Tyrone that are always on the right side of the bounce and I don't believe its luck, I believe its having a winning mentality where they grind out results. As the saying goes, a great team make their own luck.

One thing I noticed last week was a picture of the Virginia College team that won two Vocational school All-Ireland championships in a row. It's amazing how many of those two panels are on this U21 team. Some of these lads have been to All-Ireland finals before and have great experience of playing in big matches and grinding out results. That's exactly what Cavan need.

No matter what the result next Sunday though, this has been a great year for Cavan football already.

Fair point about the bit of luck, you make your own luck as they say.. And the more you examine that the more it become true, for years people have been touting our Minor sides and lamenting "bad luck" when they lose out by a small margin. I never bought into this and always thought it wasn't bad luck but bad management and lack of winning mentality instilled in the players.

Working with such a small population I believe Cavan's best chance of remaining competitive is to put a lot of effort into Minor and Schools and U-21 and keep them going well, the odd final and the odd win, we will never be big enough to be dominant but keep things ticking over and produce a few lads each year.

I'm also a fan of Tom Reilly's ethos, he is massively positive, at half time during the Wexford game on the radio he apparently said "Don't worry about this game, we will pull away in the second half, I just want the people at home not to build up too much hype before the final".. He's sticking to Cavan men for the management positions and history has shown us this is the real recipe for success. Although the minor appointment does leave something to be desired...

I hope Cavan go out and play football against Galway, I accept that the swarming defence was necessary for periods of the Wexford game due to tired legs and tired minds but we got dangerously close to the Donegal style of play. I sincerly hope we go back to our earlier style and the style played last year, a game built on high fielding, quality long ball and blinding speed from the inside forwards varied by raids from the half forward and midfield.

KEEP THE FAITH suits you,talk about talking a team down.:rolleyes:

Merely stating things as I see them and from what I have seen of both teams, Galway look the more likely to win it on what they have shown thus far. They are favourites for a reason..

That said, the game is nigh on impossible to call with any level of certainty, we don't know how the players will react to Croker, whether Cavan will revert to the long ball or stick to the running game or mix it up, whether a fit Gearoid and Leddy can handle Galway's midfield. All questions which remain to be answered.

I think it will be extremely tough and Cavan will have to play out of their skin to get a result. This is a special group of players and I believe they have the mentality and certainly the ability to rise to the occasion.

I think Cavan can upset the odds, 3rd time lucky for us in U21 Finals. Cavan by 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement