Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ads from the 80s...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Can anybody help me with these two ads.....does anybody remember a beer ad when a man walks into a pub,buys a pint,walks out with the pint and walks down the road and then through fields and meets his friend at a wall and gives him the pint?

And also one where 2 farmers were having a heated argument in a field-one of them says "ah mind yer own business" and the other one says "if TB's spreadin on my land,tis my business" and the closing line says: "This is the man who didn't give a damn-know him for what he is".

Can anybody tell me what those ads were about and what were they for.I'd really appreciate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    Can anybody help me with these two ads.....does anybody remember a beer ad when a man walks into a pub,buys a pint,walks out with the pint and walks down the road and then through fields and meets his friend at a wall and gives him the pint?

And also one where 2 farmers were having a heated argument in a field-one of them says "ah mind yer own business" and the other one says "if TB's spreadin on my land,tis my business" and the closing line says: "This is the man who didn't give a damn-know him for what he is".

Can anybody tell me what those ads were about and what were they for.I'd really appreciate it.
    The beer ad was on in the late 80's..It had a bit of a strange opening where yer man orders the pint then the barman sees the fellas reflection changing in the mirror and gets a shock.Can't remember what beer it was advertising.I very vaguely remember the ad with the farmers,think it might have been a good few years before the other one.

darkdubh wrote: »
    The beer ad was on in the late 80's..It had a bit of a strange opening where yer man orders the pint then the barman sees the fellas reflection changing in the mirror and gets a shock.Can't remember what beer it was advertising.I very vaguely remember the ad with the farmers,think it might have been a good few years before the other one.
    Those 2 ads have me pickin at me brains for months just tryin to remember what they were about.Tis a real pity RTÉ can't release a DVD with old ads-twould be a real hit with a lot of people.

And now for a more recent ad.......who remembers an ad about road deaths,one which had a terrifying line with an echoing voice,whispering "the child you hit,is dead...dead...dead...dead"

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I've been trying to think of this ad all week.. I think it was for Fanta or some fizzy drink, load of students leaving school, coming down steps to the sound of Dont Stop me Now by Queen (I think) could be early 90s....

Was I hallucinating?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Anyone remember the Satzenbrau beer advert? Stunning woman walks into bar with friends, I think she wore a cowboy hat and there was a bird of prey in the add. Late 80s I think. Couldn't find it on Youtube.

• Advertisement

Smeggy wrote: »
    I've been trying to think of this ad all week.. I think it was for Fanta or some fizzy drink, load of students leaving school, coming down steps to the sound of Dont Stop me Now by Queen (I think) could be early 90s....

Yep I remember that one well enough-that was for Club Orange.

Anyone remember this ad which had a talking head shot of a female teacher saying about how stressfull her job was and how hard it was to teach "thirty teenagers with everything on their minds from U2 to pacman"?Would have been early to mid 80's.Can't remember what it was for but it might have been for rennies or some kind of pain reliever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Yep I remember that one well enough-that was for Club Orange.

It was. I think the school was in Terenure. My ex GF told me it was filmed in her school.

A long buried memory about the ad with the farmers just popped into my head.One of the farmers angrily turns away from the other fella and then theres a freeze frame followed by the "this is the man..." line.There was a spoof of it on Halls pictorial weekly where for the freeze frame the two farmers stand still awkwardly while the voice over is delivered.

A long buried memory about the ad with the farmers just popped into my head.One of the farmers angrily turns away from the other fella and then theres a freeze frame followed by the "this is the man..." line.There was a spoof of it on Halls pictorial weekly where for the freeze frame the two farmers stand still awkwardly while the voice over is delivered.
    Yep,the freeze frame-I remember that part very well!!
    As soon as me man says "....well I don't give a damn!!..." he turns to walk away but immediately the picture freezes,and then the V.O. abruptly delivers the closing line something to the effect of ".....the man who doesn't(or 'didn't') give a damn.Known(or 'know him') for what he is."

Jeez I wish I could remember more....

• Advertisement

I visited me Ma today for Mothers Day and I asked her about this ad,and she remembers it well because she found it quite funny; with lines like "....it is my business!! TB spreadin on MY land is MY business!!" and "...I don't like reactors...".
    According to Ma,it was about a campaign to stop farmers from illegally moving livestock from field to field to land which wasn't their property-hence the spread of TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

loved the ad of the big pack of rollos being pushed down the hill, cant seem to find it on youtube..

Lads does anyone know what this ad was for-a mother is dropping her little girl off at school-presumably her first day-and they both look sad,and in the background there's a woman singing a song which goes "...take good care of yourself,I worry about you when you're gone...." ??

Yes I remember that.Someone wrote into Mailbag complaining about it saying that the image of the schoolkids charging out of their class and the song Don't stop me now was encouraging bolshy behaviour from schoolkids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Do ye remember the ad about fire safety where the little girl is standing in front of the fire in her night dress and it catches fire, the "mum" then says "sure wouldn't you be lost without them" or words to that effect. Used to terrify me wouldn't go near sitting room when I was ready for bed, guess it worked!!!!

Do ye remember the ad about fire safety where the little girl is standing in front of the fire in her night dress and it catches fire, the "mum" then says "sure wouldn't you be lost without them" or words to that effect. Used to terrify me wouldn't go near sitting room when I was ready for bed, guess it worked!!!!
    Yes,that woman was a scary old bint,no kid would dare go near the fireplace after seeing her in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Lads does anyone know what this ad was for-a mother is dropping her little girl off at school-presumably her first day-and they both look sad,and in the background there's a woman singing a song which goes "...take good care of yourself,I worry about you when you're gone...." ??

It was to do with milk.

It was to do with milk.
    Thanks.You're right-first I remembered the song,then I started remembering the ad....yeah now I remember that twas either the National Dairy Council or Premier Dairies.There was no talking or voice-over during the ad.

I'm probably wrong but is that the same ad where the girl has just brushed her hair and leaves the brush on an unguarded fireplace with her nightgown too close to the fire,and the woman reads out a label number IS148 for fireproof nightgowns??

I'm probably wrong but is that the same ad where the girl has just brushed her hair and leaves the brush on an unguarded fireplace with her nightgown too close to the fire,and the woman reads out a label number IS148 for fireproof nightgowns??

yes thats the one, had forgotten about that bit..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

The woman was Laurie Morton, wife of the late David Kelly.

She always played old crones.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

I remember that ad. A bloke in my class in school claimed to be one of the school kids in it. He must have been near the back, cos I never saw him!! It was earlier than the early 90s though, around 1986/87.

http://youtu.be/mlXwumQxrRw

The old Safe Cross Code ad, love the clothes and the car. My kids are being taught it in school now, some things stand the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

http://youtu.be/mlXwumQxrRw

The old Safe Cross Code ad, love the clothes and the car. My kids are being taught it in school now, some things stand the test of time.

I remember having a safe cross code badge

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I remember having a safe cross code badge

Did anyone else go to the "traffic school" (I think that's what it was called) in Fairview? You got to go in the pedal cars (cool) or on bikes (Triumph 20, deeply uncool and no fun at all) around mock roads to learn the rules of the road.

What a fantastic day out of school :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Did anyone else go to the "traffic school" (I think that's what it was called) in Fairview? You got to go in the pedal cars (cool) or on bikes (Triumph 20, deeply uncool and no fun at all) around mock roads to learn the rules of the road.

Had noting like that down here in Kerry,we were just happy out with our badges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Yes,lived up the road from it,used to be able to go in on our bikes at the weekends
    Good times :)

I can remember an ad for Kelloggs Cornflakes with Enya's "Book Of Days" song playing in it,but would I be right in saying that another one of her songs was used for another commercial for a car?? I'm thinking maybe early 90s here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The woman was Laurie Morton, wife of the late David Kelly.

She always played old crones.

I believe that actress also played the Whirlygig Witch on Fortycoats. I remember making the connection at the time. Oddly, I just checked IMDB.com (tv/film credits website and it shows a list of TV/film credits for that actress but not Fortycoats yet it is definitely her from googling her image. There is no mention of the children's tv show Fortycoats at all on imdb..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Another good way of finding 80s ads off Youtube is if you search for programs from that era. If someone taped them off RTE and uploaded them to youtube you'll often find they include the ad breaks in whatever programme they uploaded. I was looking for some documentaries on Dublin in the 1980s so by inputting Dublin 1988, I got some shows about the Dublin millenium etc which had a number of ads I remembered from back in the day.

I might be going back to the 70s now but does anyone remember an ad for Rolos where a giant rolo tube filled with loads of packets of Rolos rolled down the street with everyone (in their flares:D) running after it. It had a theme of "Roll out the Rolo" which was a take of the song Roll out the Barrel. I remember as a kid thinking those people in the ad were so lucky to be getting all those Rolos! I'd love to see that ad again for pure nostalgia!

Another ad I liked was for Cookeen (cooking fat) where everyone floated into the air after eating food (scones etc) with Cookeen in them (Give em a lift ooh ooh with Cookeen!)

Advertisement