Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

By-Elections 2019

Options
  • 10-10-2019 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

With Clare Daly, Mick Wallace, Billy Kelleher and Francis Fitzgerald all gone off to Europe there are four by-elections coming up, expected to be held in November.

Dublin Fingal sees the party of alleged insurance fraud throw up an old favourite who wants to make a come back to the trough- Dr.James Reilly- who'll no doubt be hoping that his parish pump antics of opening primary care health centres in his constituency against HSE advice will curry favour with the voters. Clare Daly has yet to announce if her group will run anyone but rumours are rife. Senator Lorraine Clifford Lee is on the FF ticket. James Reilly topped the poll in this constituency in 2011 before voters realised he was plain incompetent and dumped him in 2016. So will be hoping the constituency is suffering from collective amnesia and votes him in again.

Dublin Mid-West sees even more attempts to return to the trough, this time by 'Independent Green', chart topping pop star and former TD Paul Gogarty as well as the former Labour TD Joanna Tuffy. FG are expected to run Cllr.Emer Higgins ,Soc Dems has Annmarie McNally with FF unannounced so far.

Cork North central looks like it will be a straight shoot out between FF Councillor Padraig o'Sullivan and FG Senator Colm Burke with o'Sullivan expected to benefit massively from Billy Kellehers vote.

Wexford looks like another straight FF-FG battle with FG running Verona Murphy and FF Malcolm Byrne.

Then finally we have the announcement today that Gemma o'Doherty intends to run too, she has yet to announce which constituency but where ever it is it will be interesting to see if her brand of racist politics gains any traction.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Don't agree with sitting TD's being able to run in elections for the European parliament, ditching their seats in the Dail and facilitating these by elections that we, as taxpayers have to ultimately foot the bill for again. Next year another election is going to be held, which we will have to pay for anyways. Its starting to p!ss people off too. Which may actually see the rise in citizens voting for extreme candidates as a protest vote in one of these by elections, needless elections caused by sitting TD's flying off.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Forgot Clare Daly was gone. Thought things seemed quieter alright.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wexford is Byrne's to lose; Cork NC could go anywhere - Kellehers vote has a personal element to it that may not pay down to another FF candidate; Fingal - I wouldn't even try to guess it (Labour are running Duncan Smith, Councillor in Swords, to add to the list of others); Mid West I wouldn't be surprised to see Higgins get it and then lose it at the GE which isn't far off.

Daly or Wallace anointing a "successor" could cause significant disruption in Fingal/Wexford but I can't see either getting in. Wallaces poll topping days in Wexford are long gone and I had him down as losing that seat next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I found it very revealing and interesting looking at the facebook transparency tools snd looking basically at what candidates spent on their facebook advertising. Billy Kelleher spent 160 euro and Malcom Byrne spent 5600 euro. Ouch.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I see Lorainne Clifford Lee (FF in Dublin Fingal) is recieving some flack over comments allegedly posted previously on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LorrCliff/status/1193247550452719617?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Malcolm Byrne FF will take the wexford seat

I see Lorainne Clifford Lee (FF in Dublin Fingal) is recieving some flack over comments allegedly posted previously on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/LorrCliff/status/1193247550452719617?s=19

Is Gript supporting Gemma O'Doherty?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I've absolutely no idea what to make of this. But some people are quoting actual tweets supposedly made previously. Reading these doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Colm Burke is very popular and he's around a long time - he has as much "personal capital" as Billy Kelleher, if not more. Padraig O'Sullivan isn't as popular as many seem to assume, especially on his home patch of Little Island, which is quite extensively of an FG hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is it not a bit mad to run now in the by election with an election on the cards?
    Especially for anyone not full time TD/senator already...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not sure what that has to do with Clifford's tweets?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is it not a bit mad to run now in the by election with an election on the cards?
    Especially for anyone not full time TD/senator already...

The government are legally obliged to hold a by-election within 6 months of a seat being vacated. The courts forced them to change a law after Brian Cowen left a seat empty for over a year to prop up a dying FF government, Pearse Doherty took a High Court case and won and they said 6 months is the max time a seat can be left empty.

Anyway those tweets from Lorraine Clifford Lee arent going to do her any favours. She is 38 now so was 31 at the time she wrote them. Not exactly behaviour you would expect from a mature adult who is a solicitor.

https://twitter.com/paddygalvin11/status/1193657445891137536

https://twitter.com/cyclingbob2507/status/1193484850864545792

https://twitter.com/cyclingbob2507/status/1193484326530363392

https://twitter.com/KF381531171/status/1193545178168082434

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Clifford lee is running out my way

I have an immense dislike for her but i would be very much against this notion of hanging people with old tweets...not as if she is calling for the 4th Reich or another final solution.

Something tells me that she wouldnt be against using historic tweets against somebody though..she is of that ilk

Anyway im confused on that one but she isnt getting a sympathy vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well cork north central which is the constituency I live in, you'd think colm Burke is in with a big chance and he's been trying for years. I had no idea who the FF candidte is. Never heard of him and was surprised that Kenneth Flynn wasn't the obvious choice for FF but he wasn't. I know of the labour and GP candidates considering they were elected city councillors at the last local elections. Thomas Gould is running for SF and he always polls well enough.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Not sure what that has to do with Clifford's tweets?

Gript are the ones initially making a HUGE deal out of them. It seems like John McGuirk and Gemma O'Doherty supporters are behind all the releasing LCLs tweets so I was pondering if there was a link between McGuirk/Gript and O'Doherty

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I know of someone who worked in an office LCL worked in a few years ago. They said to me she is totally unsuitable for public representation. “Totally unsuited” was emphasized. Apparently worse to come out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I don't see how Clifford Lee can do anything but resign her position. If this was a conservative this would not even be a discussion, the media would be burying them. Why is she getting a free pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

They are bad for a public representative. A 31 year old wrote them. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I was watching the news earlier and not a peep about this, if someone from the right was using the word knacker and black Brazilian dwarf in tweets they would be hung out to dry.

Ive watch her interviews and she is always pushing the leftie progressive agenda.

It's almost as good as Trudeau getting caught out for going blackface.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't see how Clifford Lee can do anything but resign her position. If this was a conservative this would not even be a discussion, the media would be burying them. Why is she getting a free pass.

What did she say that was so bad? Feel like I am missing something here......

Her previous ridiculous accusations of sexism in the seanad would rule her out for me, but there is feck all in those tweets, especially without context

I took the dwarf comment as how random the bus can be, you can sit beside anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I know of someone who worked in an office LCL worked in a few years ago. They said to me she is totally unsuitable for public representation. “Totally unsuited” was emphasized. Apparently worse to come out as well.
    wasn't 2016 the time for anything to come out

I was watching the news earlier and not a peep about this, if someone from the right was using the word knacker and black Brazilian dwarf in tweets they would be hung out to dry.

Ive watch her interviews and she is always pushing the leftie progressive agenda.

It's almost as good as Trudeau getting caught out for going blackface.

It was covered on RTEs 9 o'clock news although they didnt state or show any of the tweets, just reported it had happened and that FF said that there would be no sanction on her

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She’s on radio now saying sorry sorry sorry and sorry again. Complete chancer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,205 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Gript are the ones initially making a HUGE deal out of them. It seems like John McGuirk and Gemma O'Doherty supporters are behind all the releasing LCLs tweets so I was pondering if there was a link between McGuirk/Gript and O'Doherty
    Mcguirk is the editor at Gript I think? but I thought him and GOD had a falling out?
    Well I can see a tweet where he is saying her opinions have taken a turn towards crazytown.

It's a rabid pro life site I think linked to youth defence so I wouldn't be arsed reading it.

Forget Lorraine Clifford-Lee and Verona Murphy when Charlie Keddy is running to be elected in all four by election constituencies

keddycharlie_twitter.jpg

#KeddyIsReady

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Muahahaha wrote: »

#KeddyIsReady

11th time's the charm.

https://electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=4218

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Forget Lorraine Clifford-Lee and Verona Murphy when Charlie Keddy is running to be elected in all four by election constituencies

keddycharlie_twitter.jpg

#KeddyIsReady

I realise this is a somewhat hypothetical scenario, but what would happen if a candidate was elected in more than one constituency. Would he/she represent them all in the Dail?

I realise this is a somewhat hypothetical scenario, but what would happen if a candidate was elected in more than one constituency. Would he/she represent them all in the Dail?

No ideas but they would certainly like to take two salaries and two pensions if it did happen :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Somehow I don't think Mr Keddy is going to allow us to find out :P

Advertisement