Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

How long are they taking to credit TCs and Avios these days? I flew return to JFK on the week before last and there's no sign of anything in my account yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

How long are they taking to credit TCs and Avios these days? I flew return to JFK on the week before last and there's no sign of anything in my account yet...

I was onto them recently about a European flight and they said 1 week for the outbound, and up to 28 days for the inbound. I had been enquiring about the inbound, and at that time it was 14 days, and, coincidentally the points appeared the following day. (For Tier credits)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

fullstop wrote: »
    That place is awful. Last time I went, there was a queue of about 20 people to get in and no seats in the place.

Some of the better shared lounges EI use, in my experiences;

World Lounge in MUC - good hot buffet, lots of drinks and great chairs!

No 1 Lounge in BHX - big step up on the Aspire Lounge that EI used to use.

BA Lounge BRU - Belgian beers!

Has the EI lounge in MUC changed from the Atlantic Lounge? I always through that lounge was one of the worst of the EI partner lounges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

It changed almost a year ago, the new lounge is outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

anacc wrote: »
    Has the EI lounge in MUC changed from the Atlantic Lounge? I always through that lounge was one of the worst of the EI partner lounges.
    Aer Lingus use Aspire lounge in Manchester. Really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aer Lingus use Aspire lounge in Manchester. Really good.

MUC is Munich. Aspire in Manchester is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm currently on 507 tier points, needing 94 to hit Platinum.

Got a mail from AL this morning that says:

"Your anniversary date is coming up on 29 Nov, 2019, on that date your Tier Credits will reset to zero, while Avios continue to accumulate until you choose to use them.

You currently have 507 Tier Credits. Your membership tier for the upcoming year will be determined by the amount of Tier Credits you have earned in advance of this anniversary date."

Apologies if this has been asked before but am I about to be reset to 0 and remain on Silver? I'm nearly positive that when I was on green, I never lost any tier points. Most of those 500 have been amassed over the last 12 months.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes you're about to be reset to 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

I'm currently on 507 tier points, needing 94 to hit Platinum.

Got a mail from AL this morning that says:

"Your anniversary date is coming up on 29 Nov, 2019, on that date your Tier Credits will reset to zero, while Avios continue to accumulate until you choose to use them.

You currently have 507 Tier Credits. Your membership tier for the upcoming year will be determined by the amount of Tier Credits you have earned in advance of this anniversary date."

Apologies if this has been asked before but am I about to be reset to 0 and remain on Silver? I'm nearly positive that when I was on green, I never lost any tier points. Most of those 500 have been amassed over the last 12 months.

Thanks!

Come the 30th of Nov you'll be on silver status with zero tier credits.

• Advertisement

Fantastic. With current bookings, I'll get to within 24 points. Might be worth finding an extra trip in there somewhere.

Is it safe to assume that once the travel happens before the 29th they'll credit the points and bump me to Platinum?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Fantastic. With current bookings, I'll get to within 24 points. Might be worth finding an extra trip in there somewhere.

Is it safe to assume that once the travel happens before the 29th they'll credit the points and bump me to Platinum?

Thanks!

You might need to send an email or two, but they'll honour it (eventually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got the warning email about the anniversary date coming. Nowhere close to getting status; despite the same volume of travel leading to me having the first proper grade of status with two hotel chains and a car hire firm. Upgrades, express checkin etc comes with that status so its not just a different coloured card.

L1011 wrote: »
    Got the warning email about the anniversary date coming. Nowhere close to getting status; despite the same volume of travel leading to me having the first proper grade of status with two hotel chains and a car hire firm. Upgrades, express checkin etc comes with that status so its not just a different coloured card.
    ]

I got the same email but they said i have 450 when i have 512(ish)

2 return trips to Amsterdam and 1 return to JFK before the 29th so fingers crossed i get Platinum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I've just had the same email, but am only on 430 ish points, so no hope of platinum. Had a couple of SFO-DUB flights end up being 25 instead of 50 - annoying you cant tell until after you've booked what actual fair type you've got.

Also annoying that I've done several flights with Lufthansa this year as there's no alliance with EI I can use to collect all my work flights in one place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

BigMoose wrote: »
    Had a couple of SFO-DUB flights end up being 25 instead of 50 - annoying you cant tell until after you've booked what actual fair type you've got.
    When you select your flights on the booking page, click on the Fare Rules link and scroll to the bottom. The first letter is the booking code for each leg you have selected.

• Advertisement

steve-o wrote: »
    When you select your flights on the booking page, click on the Fare Rules link and scroll to the bottom. The first letter is the booking code for each leg you have selected.

Thanks - never knew you could do that, just waited until I got the email after booking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Does travel on the 29th Nov get included in this year or next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

To save me digging through the thread, would anyone care to remind me why it might be better to actually be part of the BA avios scheme as opposed to Aer Lingus?

My travel is probably 60/40 between UK/Northern Europe (usually connecting in LHR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

crisco10 wrote: »
    To save me digging through the thread, would anyone care to remind me why it might be better to actually be part of the BA avios scheme as opposed to Aer Lingus?

My travel is probably 60/40 between UK/Northern Europe (usually connecting in LHR)

I’ve silver status with both Aerlingus and BA and if you are connecting via LHR a lot I’d advise you to get membership of both clubs but try to fly with BA as much as possible.

You can earn slightly more miles and tier points easier in general with BA.

Spending miles with BA tend to require lower taxes

BA Silver Card would allow you access Aerlingus Dublin and LHR lounge as well as all the BA lounges if you are using them for your onward connections, as well as priority security and boarding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Casati wrote: »
    I’ve silver status with both Aerlingus and BA and if you are connecting via LHR a lot I’d advise you to get membership of both clubs but try to fly with BA as much as possible.

You can earn slightly more miles and tier points easier in general with BA.

Spending miles with BA tend to require lower taxes

BA Silver Card would allow you access Aerlingus Dublin and LHR lounge as well as all the BA lounges if you are using them for your onward connections, as well as priority security and boarding

The BA silver card will also get you free seat selection from the time of booking on BA metal and earn double avios on BA flights which adds up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

BA Silver by a mile, that'll get you OneWorld Sapphire which opens up an absolute ton of lounges - which includes 51st & Green if you do transatlantic hops and AA Flagship lounges at the other end.

cson wrote: »
    BA Silver by a mile, that'll get you OneWorld Sapphire which opens up an absolute ton of lounges - which includes 51st & Green if you do transatlantic hops and AA Flagship lounges at the other end.

Does BA Silver get you fastpass, lounge etc. in Dublin Airport?

80% of my work travel is Dublin to the UK so that's why I focused on Aer Lingus. However, personal travel will be into Europe and the States so maybe BA might be better to focus on for 2020. I'll have AL Platinum going into the year, could probably hit BA silver if I focused on that in 2020.

Is anyone experiencing delays with being awarded tier credits/avios? I made 3 flights last week and have nothing awarded so far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Is anyone experiencing delays with being awarded tier credits/avios? I made 3 flights last week and have nothing awarded so far...

Always!! I have to chase them for about half of the flights I take and it usually takes at least a week for any credits to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

some good deals on for Avios at the moment - triple points in some stores - handy for Christmas presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

I am. Normally if I fly on a Wednesday my points will be in on following Monday.
    Flew last Wednesday and Thursday and nothing through yet..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭niallo32

lfc200 wrote: »
    I am. Normally if I fly on a Wednesday my points will be in on following Monday.
    Flew last Wednesday and Thursday and nothing through yet..

Same, flew last Sunday week and had them on the Wednesday.

Flew home Friday and not received.

So i'm going to be at 597.5 by mid next week and im flying on Thursday 28th to Amsterdam and it says my points reset on the 29th.

Will Aer lingus pick that up as bumping me to platinum as it'll take a few days for the points to go on or will i have to contact them to plead my case?

PS.. i assume ill be eligible if i travel on the 28th?

Also... is it 12.01am or 23.59 on the 29th that the points reset does anyone know?

See attached....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Your name and card number are visible in that photo.

Also... is it 12.01am or 23.59 on the 29th that the points reset does anyone know?

That's a good question as I'm due to fly Dub-SFO on the 29th and I'll be very annoyed if that counts as this years tier credits!

• Advertisement

Flights departing on 28th count for this year. Flights departing on the 29th count for next year.

Your name and card number are visible in that photo.

Absolutely blind i am!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Do you get tier points for the stobart and cityjet flights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

deconduo wrote: »
    Do you get tier points for the stobart and cityjet flights?

you do if it's an Aer Lingus ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

So if I book my fair via the Avios website what kind of fair do I get for a flight to Amsterdam ?

Does it include a bag and seats ?

Or is it basic fair ?

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

So if I book my fair via the Avios website what kind of fair do I get for a flight to Amsterdam ?

Or is it basic fair ?

Thank you

20 kg bag and standard seats are included.

Short haul economy Avios redemptions are rarely good value unless travelling last minute or the flights are very expensive.

Or is it basic fair ?

Thank you
    Avios bookings include a checked-in bag. You can prebook a seat at the back of the plane for free. You'll have to pay if you want a better seat. You'll need to phone if you want to book a seat because Avios bookings can't be managed on the Aer Lingus website. Because it's Aer Lingus.

As VG31 indicates, check the regular fare before booking... it might actually be less than the Avios "taxes and fees". Because it's Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

steve-o wrote: »
    Avios bookings include a checked-in bag. You can prebook a seat at the back of the plane for free. You'll have to pay if you want a better seat. You'll need to phone if you want to book a seat because Avios bookings can't be managed on the Aer Lingus website. Because it's Aer Lingus.

As VG31 indicates, check the regular fare before booking... it might actually be less than the Avios "taxes and fees". Because it's Aer Lingus.

On Short Haul I’d be amazed if booking with Avios would offer any value on EI.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    On Short Haul I’d be amazed if booking with Avios would offer any value on EI.

It can sometimes be good value if there are still reward seats available at the last minute. For example to LHR paying 4,000 Avios plus €38 is better than a €150 (basic) fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

VG31 wrote: »
    It can sometimes be good value if there are still reward seats available at the last minute. For example to LHR paying 4,000 Avios plus €38 is better than a €150 (basic) fare.

Is that with BA or EI? I have found the BA structure/offers to be better.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Is that with BA or EI? I have found the BA structure/offers to be better.

EI is actually 4000 Avios + €17 DUB to LHR. €39 is LHR to DUB.

I've only ever booked Avios fares with BA. Sometimes last minute Avios bookings in Club Europe have worked out to be the cheapest option for me since economy reward seats tend to sell out much faster.

For example this Sunday the cheapest p.m. flight from LON to DUB is EI179 (€282). However there are Club Europe reward seats on BA836/838/828 for 7,750 Avios + €31. If you value Avios at €0.014, that works out at ~ €140 making it by far the cheapest flight (and that's business class).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

(and that's business class).

Eurobusiness =/= Business Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

It cost me 16k in the end Plus 120 euros for 2 people return to Amsterdam from cork airport

I think it was about 300 for the flights normally and I can also check in my bags so no liquids to worry about.

So happy saved 180 euros and free checked in bags

Is the avios site down again?

Cant click on the page to bring you to the collect page

I'm travelling Dublin - Chicago, Chicago - Miami and Miami - Dublin in January. Aer Lingus do direct flights on the transatlantic legs but not the internal. Any way to book through Aer Lingus to maximise the Avios gain?

Google flights returns the whole trip at about €800 but I have to then book through United's website which would mean no tier points as I understand it?

Also, work will be paying the transatlantic flights, any top tips for cheap internal US flights?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Also, work will be paying the transatlantic flights, any top tips for cheap internal US flights?

Thanks!

JetBlue. Excellent airline. Avoid Allegiant and Frontier, IMHO.

Nothing wrong with southwest airlines either
    I've flown both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

I'm travelling Dublin - Chicago, Chicago - Miami and Miami - Dublin in January. Aer Lingus do direct flights on the transatlantic legs but not the internal. Any way to book through Aer Lingus to maximise the Avios gain?

Google flights returns the whole trip at about €800 but I have to then book through United's website which would mean no tier points as I understand it?

Thanks!

The cheapest way to get that is to do as you have done and book a through ticket. Booking the internal legs with auS airlines will likely end up costing more than 800 quid alone. I wouldn’t bother chasing tier points in this case

No way 800 for just a one way Chicago mia

Google flights show ORD MIA for as little as €70
    About a third of the dates months ahead
    A lot sub €200 on other dates
    Many under €100

Dearest I see is €347 but you'd want to be unlucky to pick that date
    ALL RETURN
    One way is half those !

You could get your company to book the transatlantic on EI,out to ORD and back from MIA

If you get on well with whoever's doing the work bookings,they might do the internals separate for you if they're work
    However don't do them the same day as EI in case theres irrops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mortelaro wrote: »
    One way is half those !

One way is not half on EI longhaul. Its often significantly dearer. Ye-olde pricing model that they do not use on shorthaul.

They allow openjaw returns, however; I booked DUB-ORD; CLT-JFK-DUB for my mother a while back and got it priced as a return on the EI legs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement