Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is this being proposed as a cheaper measure or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Idbatterim wrote: »

As a suggestion, why not read the documents?

The DAA submission to CAR explains the plans in copious detail

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/cip-2020/submission-to-regulator.pdf?sfvrsn=845c46bd_2

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Idbatterim wrote: »

I don’t think anything to the scale will be built and operational in the next 10 years, unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

41 is going 24/7 from the 1st of December, hopefully that will help ease the amount of people waiting for taxis.

Every 30 mins apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

It adds some more gates and space by clearing away the cargo building which is there currently. So more space and more gates, never a bad thing at an airport.

I believe it also means there will be no bottleneck and 2 A330's can pass each other which is not currently possible.

Yeah it's always a good thing of course but I don't think it's going to reduce the demand on the south gates as some are hoping it will.

Can the fuel tanks not be removed to allow for further expansion. I always felt these tanks were very exposed to the public and a very easy target for someone with bad intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Blut2

Kev11491 wrote: »
    41 is going 24/7 from the 1st of December, hopefully that will help ease the amount of people waiting for taxis.

Every 30 mins apparently

https://www.98fm.com/news/24-hour-bus-service-dublin-begin-next-month-922365
    Dublin's first 24 hour bus service will start running on December 1st.

Earlier this year the National Transport Authority confirmed the number 41, that runs between Swords and the city centre, would be the first route to be trialed. The service also stops at Dublin Airport. The number 15, between Clongriffen and Knocklyon, will also become 24/7 under the plans.

Services will run every half an hour through the night on both routes.

Thats a smart route to go 24/7 on, I'd imagine a lot of airport staff will use it.

Hopefully it does make even a small dent in the taxi queues at least too.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Blut2 wrote: »
    https://www.98fm.com/news/24-hour-bus-service-dublin-begin-next-month-922365

Thats a smart route to go 24/7 on, I'd imagine a lot of airport staff will use it.

Hopefully it does make even a small dent in the taxi queues at least too.

I'm hoping the fares stay the same also, it'll be a great alternative for people in the CC and north city

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Kev11491 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the fares stay the same also, it'll be a great alternative for people in the CC and north city

Fares will be as normal day services. This is a regular service, not Nitelink.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

While we are on the subject of airport bus services, does anyone think the actual bus stop area itself is extremely confusing in its layout. I'm talking specifically in terms of the fact that many of the people using it have just arrived from another country and have never been on Dublin Bus before. Dublin bus' tactic of having a ticket desk right outside terminal 2 suggesting that the 747 route is the only bus to the city is unfair considering they are charging twice the price for almost the same service. Of the 5/6 times that I have got a 16 or 41 into town from the airport, I have been asked by confused looking tourists each time how to use it or where does this bus go, etc.

EI321 wrote: »
    While we are on the subject of airport bus services, does anyone think the actual bus stop area itself is extremely confusing in its layout. I'm talking specifically in terms of the fact that many of the people using it have just arrived from another country and have never been on Dublin Bus before. Dublin bus' tactic of having a ticket desk right outside terminal 2 suggesting that the 747 route is the only bus to the city is unfair considering they are charging twice the price for almost the same service. Of the 5/6 times that I have got a 16 or 41 into town from the airport, I have been asked by confused looking tourists each time how to use it or where does this bus go, etc.

Sadly the DAA sees the provision of bus stop space as a commodity with which to make money rather than viewing it as a service. The bus stop locations are subject to competitive tender. Both Dublin Bus and Aircoach pay significant sums of money to use the kerbside areas for their commercial services.

They need to make their money back somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Isn't that something the regulator should be taking action on in the consumer interest, instead of fecking around with already low landing charges?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The provision (or more correctly the lack of provision) for buses, especially the BE services, has been a source of much irritation to me for quite some time, in that there is no guidance about the stand or the time of the next service anywhere other than on the stands, so for infirm or elderly passengers, having to sit (or stand, depending on the number waiting) at the stand for prolonged periods of time is a less than exquisite form of torture, in that there is no way to be sure what time the bus will actually arrive, and personal experience of the 109A, the Kells Airport service, is that it is completely unreliable time wise, a supposedly hourly service is often up to 50 minutes late, or completely missing, and the on line mapping system that should show where the buses are doesn't work because BE won't sort out the Google licensing issues, so there's no map to display the buses on for smartphone users.

The totally insufficient and inadequate provision of any sort of facility and the absence of accurate information for passengers in a warm and dry location is a travesty, and due to the unreliability of the services, and the lack of accurate information, it's not safe to stay in the area under the multi storey car park (which is marginally warmer and drier) as it is altogether possible for a bus to arrive at a stand and be gone before you get to the stand from the under cover area.

It's a part of the total lack of joined up thinking in relation to the transport needs of the airport and surrounding areas, which is way beyond the remit of this thread, DAA and government have a lot to answer for in their lack of a competent and coherent strategy for the needs of both staff and travelling public, I've been watching this for over 30 years, and despair at the inability of the relevant bodies to make sensible and informed decisions. Worse, I don't see it changing any time soon, the inability to come up with a sensible Metro strategy, and linked bus and coach services is a major aspect on the appalling traffic congestion that all too often makes getting to and from the airport a lot less pleasant that it could be.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Never going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

L1011 wrote: »
    Never going to happen

Especially not with mcevaddy leading the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭prunudo

Surely if a 3rd terminal is ever built it needs to be connected into the existing terminals and infrastructure. No point having tourists arriving at the wrong place and being able to transit easily. Id say Daa would put up a fight to allow a third party access its area's. Sounds like he is piggy backing off a 3rd terminal idea with the real intention being to open up access to m2 to build offices and commercial buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,542 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The airport needs a new terminal and to develop the western part of the campus.

Get it done I say.

@ L1011 you have the most attrocious attitude to infrastructure in Ireland.

All your arguments are why things can't be done as opposed to why they can be.

Everything is "too big", "not needed", "impossible" in a "we are only Irish" sort of way.

Very depressing attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

McEvaddy will never be let develop a private terminal within the confines of the runways, its not in the DAAs interest and that makes it not in the Govts interest. TII won't entertain a motorway link to the M2 because the cost benefit doesn't stack up, its just a roundabout way of dumping more traffic on the M50, because the M2 northbound is not a demand route for Airport traffic.

DAA will feck about accommodating the additional pax from the 2nd runway in T1 and 2 and when it suits them they'll CPO the McEvaddy lands and hope the brothers are gone from old age by then. Their investors will take the premium and walk, open and shut case.

Get it done I say.

Everything is "too big", "not needed", "impossible" in a "we are only Irish" sort of way.

L1011 isn’t saying what you think they are saying.

There is already a DAA masterplan for development of the airport with satellite terminals to the west.

That is the only show in town.

• Advertisement

A motorway link to the M2 is inevitable one way or another as the only natural development progression of the airport is to the west.

Does not matter if it's the DAA that eventually builds it or not.

The main priority must also be to connect the present campus with the new western campus via underground transportation. This will enable the existing public transport set up to also be utilised in addition to the new transport provision for a new terminal.

The DAA are going to make a dogs dinner of the existing terminals for almost €2bn. It's crazy money for what they are going to get.

LXFlyer wrote: »

There is already a DAA masterplan for development of the airport with satellite terminals to the west.

Quite right.

McEvaddy has nothing but a ransom strip. He can either take what he's offered for it eventually or leave it marooned until he's long gone.

LXFlyer wrote: »

The DAA are crippled by debt and are going to throw another 2 billion on top of that just to get the airport to 40 million passengers.

Every reason to believe they won't have the financial capacity to do any of their long term plan for 55 million passengers.

And we have a regulator making the situation worse!

The DAA are crippled by debt and are going to throw another 2 billion on top of that just to get the airport to 40 million passengers.

Every reason to believe they won't have the financial capacity to do any of their long term plan for 55 million passengers.

And we have a regulator making the situation worse!

DAA are on a A- corporate rating with positive outlook, they can refinance at preferential rates till the cows come home.

Speaking of cows, thats all that'll be out there while McEvaddy controls the land.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get it done I say.

You are banned from Infrastructure for a reason. Do you want that to happen here?

Also, as pointed out you've jumped to a wrong conclusion here

L1011 wrote: »
    You are banned from Infrastructure for a reason. Do you want that to happen here?

Also, as pointed out you've jumped to a wrong conclusion here

I will consider reporting this post.

Thank you.

I will consider reporting this post.

Thank you.

You're some piece. Same in every forum. Report away.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You're some piece. Same in every forum. Report away.

I put forward my arguments - always well articulated and respectful - not my problem if some don't like it.

I am banned from infrastructure because of my opinions simple as that and I resent a moderator bringing that up like that as some sort of lightning rod for passive bullying of me to occur by others like yourself.

I think that is awful.

If you disagree then disagree but you should avoid making personal attacks.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't have an indo account so can't read the full article. What are those other buildings in the main image in the article (the ones in the foreground)? Offices?

Is there really a demand for office space in such a location?

• Advertisement

It looks like a very crude impression and not an actual plan.

Advertisement