Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE MELBOURNE CUP

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Constantinople
    Prince of arran
    Downdraft
    These are my 3 small e/w bets in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

2 ew bets for me

Latrobe 14/1 6 places
    Surprise Baby 16/1 6 places.

Looks like the going will be good to soft which isn't always good for low draw numbers.
    Last year was gd/sft and the first 4 home all had a double digit draw.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Given that Latrobe has won an Irish Derby he has to have a chance at around 14/1. The only group 1 winner in the race by the looks of things.
    You must be looking at the wrong race.
    Think you must mean another race. The last two winners were 3YO's. Before that very few had even attempted to run as 3 Yo's.
    Officially, 23 Three Year olds have won. And 45 four year olds.
    BumperD wrote: »
    It may well be difference in birthday dates between northern and Southern Hemisphere that is proving the confusion. They are listed as 4yr olds on some sites but were actually 3yr olds in our hemisphere :)
    It's a sourthern hemisphere race, so southern hemisphere stats are typically recorded. For arguments sake, call them 3.5 year olds. If you were to move them into a lower bracket, then you'd have to move any overseas 3 years old into a 2 year old bracket (which doesn't exist)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Mellor wrote: »
    You must be looking at the wrong race.

How do you mean ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Price boosts for win only:
    Southern France @ 26.00, RTusk@23, Latrobe@26 (subject to price/offer change)
    Otherwise (7pl) e/w for Prince of Arran on the week's mixed acca.

G'Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

How do you mean ?

He's including G1 handicaps I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

It's a game of Darts with both Joseph and Aidan running 4 and 3 each plus a load of their ex horses running in it as well. I think Southern France could run a big race, his Irish Leger form puts him ahead of plenty of the field. I'm quite worried about this being his first start for his new trainer, so a place is probably as good as he'll do. The Japanese horse and Cross Counter are the class acts in the field. I would love to see Magic Wand win but can't see her lasting home. That's the top 4 finishers for ye ( not :) )

How do you mean ?
    lemush wrote: »
    He's including G1 handicaps I'd imagine.

I don't feel like taking apart the whole field post race. But as a start,
    But I'll just point out that the Melbourne Cup itself is a group 1 race, and put it bed at no.1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Feel sick after that. Was on track. Thought I had it in the bad. Had a nice wedge on Frankie and Joseph's horse.

But I'll just point out that the Melbourne Cup itself is a group 1 race, and put it bed at no.1

So you were including group 1 handicaps. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I got the treble up.
    Backed last in the English Oaks, last in the English Derby, and last in the Melbourne Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

So is the Ryanair Steeplechase, but its' not really though is it?

For future reference and to save yourself the hassle, the only places in the world where the real Group 1's happen are in Ireland, the UK and France. I will give a minor dispensation for Meydan's last carnival day, but that is about it. An honourable mention to the Preis Von Whateveritsnameis in Germany.

The only other grade/group 1's are on the Dirt tracks in the states, it is a different style of racing so as such warrants its' own type of respect. The Breeders Cup is probably worth trying to win, but a lot of brilliant horses have never bothered. If you can name me the last decent winner of a turf race in Canada without googling it I will post you a selection box with a congratulations note.

I think the Asian anticlockwise stuff does not really count if I am honest. I have seen several Curragh handicappers who have won a maiden get sold over there for 2 million and subjected to some of the most drastic drug treatments any animal should be, all to allow the locals get stuck into them 364 days a year, they are called group 1's but I am not so sure, maybe the Japan Cup , at a stretch.

The Melbourne Cup is a handicap, if it was a group 1 they would all run off the same weight with a fillies and mares allowance. There might be scope to give an allowance to Australian bred 3 year olds, that is all.

If you need my advice on anything else in the future please feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

It's a strange kind of racing where the first 8 finishers in a mega money 2 mile G1 finish within 1 1/2 lengths of each other, with the top 20 finishers all finishing within 7 1/4 lengths of each other.

Guess the handicapper can be proud of themselves. The ex P Prendergast 4yo winner Vow and Declare was getting 7lbs off the Joseph O'Brien 4yo. It's a farce to be calling these handicaps Grade 1 races.

Magic Wand in 10th finished well from way back, it was a strange tactic to be holding up such a classy front runner. I can see the logic re getting the trip, but could have seen her finishing closer if raced near the pace.

Drawn 24 probably the reason she couldn't get prominent.

lemush wrote: »
    So you were including group 1 handicaps. Simple.
    I didn’t say your assumption was incorrect.
    So is the Ryanair Steeplechase, but its' not really though is it?

For future reference and to save yourself the hassle, the only places in the world where the real Group 1's happen are in Ireland, the UK and France. I will give a minor dispensation for Meydan's last carnival day, but that is about it. An honourable mention to the Preis Von Whateveritsnameis in Germany.

The only other grade/group 1's are on the Dirt tracks in the states, it is a different style of racing so as such warrants its' own type of respect. The Breeders Cup is probably worth trying to win, but a lot of brilliant horses have never bothered. If you can name me the last decent winner of a turf race in Canada without googling it I will post you a selection box with a congratulations note.

I think the Asian anticlockwise stuff does not really count if I am honest. I have seen several Curragh handicappers who have won a maiden get sold over there for 2 million and subjected to some of the most drastic drug treatments any animal should be, all to allow the locals get stuck into them 364 days a year, they are called group 1's but I am not so sure, maybe the Japan Cup , at a stretch.

The Melbourne Cup is a handicap, if it was a group 1 they would all run off the same weight with a fillies and mares allowance. There might be scope to give an allowance to Australian bred 3 year olds, that is all.

If you need my advice on anything else in the future please feel free to ask.
    It’s officially a group 1 handicap.
    You can argue all you want about how it shouldn’t be called that, or how it’s not a real group 1.
    But nonetheless, it’s a group 1 race. That’s a fact, not an opinion.

Obviously few Australian horses run in Ireland, the UK and France G1s. I don’t think that was as big an insight as you thought in your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

It’s a good handicap in fairness . I’d put it on or near on par with the Ebor handicap.

One thing they have right down there is prize money. We have a bit of catching up to do. Surprised no one mentioned the winning trainers cobalt case. Hopefully the horse wasn’t juiced to the eyeballs but I guess we will not hear.

Advertisement