Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE MELBOURNE CUP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Great ride by Moore. That's why he's the best jockey in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Nulty wrote: »
    I hope the kid doesn't realise he caused the death of a racehorse

So do I, but the lack of consideration for horses at race courses does annoy me at times, like the fan fare, photographers, umbrellas, people waving things (like the flag in this instance), etc. Remember the incident where Mr Mulligan fell in a chase in England and the jockey was injured and it was due to the fact a race goer was jumping up and down, waving frantically as the horses approached and jumped the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

It's not, but he won't be able to do what he was fortunately able to do on Adelaide, didn't exactly give Mount Athos the best chance two years ago. I wouldn't view it as a negative just wouldn't constitute a huge positive in Australia. Watch him (Ryan Moore) win it now with a cracking ride

Sh1t happens as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Nulty wrote: »
    I hope the kid doesn't realise he caused the death of a racehorse

I would say the fault lies more with the racecourse management who didn't have a proper system in place and failed in their duty of care to keep fans away from racehorses that are literally just finished a race. Any fan, particularly a child, could not be blamed for an accident like this. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Unfortunately it takes something like this to happen before things change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

convert wrote: »
    So do I, but the lack of consideration for horses at race courses does annoy me at times, like the fan fare, photographers, umbrellas, people waving things (like the flag in this instance), etc. Remember the incident where Mr Mulligan fell in a chase in England and the jockey was injured and it was due to the fact a race goer was jumping up and down, waving frantically as the horses approached and jumped the fence.

It was Mulligan in the '97 Tingle Creek, I had backed him that day, sickened me. I remember the previous Cheltenham he was a banker for the Arkle and fell too but I heard of a few people who wouldn't normally back only Cheltenham and Grand National, backing this horse called Mr Mulligan at 20/1 for the Gold Cup thinking they were on the "banker", and of course the rest is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Itsabrack wrote: »
    It was Mulligan in the '97 Tingle Creek, I had backed him that day, sickened me. I remember the previous Cheltenham he was a banker for the Arkle and fell too but I heard of a few people who wouldn't normally back only Cheltenham and Grand National, backing this horse called Mr Mulligan at 20/1 for the Gold Cup thinking they were on the "banker", and of course the rest is history.

Reminds me of one or two lads I knew who backed Galileo in the 2002 Sun Alliance Hurdle in the mistaken belief that the same horse had won the previous year's Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Reminds me of one or two lads I knew who backed Galileo in the 2002 Sun Alliance Hurdle in the mistaken belief that the same horse had won the previous year's Derby.

:pac::pac:

My My My The Aussies really have a bad situation on their hands. Just like the Americans they have decimated their staying stallions for the sake of speedy Stallions. Euro based horses have raided their top two races with success and ease. and they key man in the equation was Ryan Moore.

Hope SLADE POWER can have the same 'success and ease' on Sat.

dat time ov the ear again matey

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

xlogo wrote: »
    Looking at the posts on this thread it's been 4 years since the last one ðŸ˜

Nah mate. It's on every year and has been for a while ;)

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Meanwhile, good on ya Joseph

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I've never liked Australians. And their beer is ****e. But Vienna is lovely to be fair and well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I am superman runs in rosehill on Saturday anybody here having any more info bar the racing post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Itsabrack wrote: »
    Looks like Ryan Moore is the man for the big occasion on any horse, any race, any course and any bloody country! I don't think any Australian jockey could have done any better on the last 2 big winners he has rode down there. Fair deuce to him, we are priveliged to be seeing one of the greatest jockeys ever at the top of his game.
    Great ride by Moore. That's why he's the best jockey in the world.

"Things you don't hear people saying anymore"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Glen Boss big race jock wins the golden eagle. No joy from i am superman and ó Briens runner.

Mellor wrote: »

When’s it on again mate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

‪#MelbourneCup ‬

‪Going for 3 here .‬

‪Latrobe (possible best horse in race , readied for this )‬

‪1 pt win 25 betfair‬

‪Southern France sure to be involved ‬

‪1 or win 25 Betfair ‬

‪Rostropovich silly price big run coming‬

‪1 point win 130‬

‪2 points place 5 places 15‬

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

amadain wrote: »
    When’s it on again mate

It’s on twice in the next 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

14 of the 24 runners were foaled in GB or IRE.
    A small bet on Rostropovich at 120s just to have an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Constantinople ahould have won the Caulfield Cup a few weeks back, but found trouble in-running. The small shift in the weights and the softer going should see it overturn Mer De Glace. The problem is 3 year olds don't have a good record in this race, so I am inclined to skip it, as much as I like the jockey, pedigree and form.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Master of Reality at 16's paying 6 places works for me. Placed in the gold cup and has run some nice races all season. The race is a bigger pin job than most sprint handicaps, what I am saying here is that you need a lot of luck to win it.

Given that Latrobe has won an Irish Derby he has to have a chance at around 14/1. The only group 1 winner in the race by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

There's a lot to like about Latrobe stepping up in trip, another feather in the JOB cap hopefully.

Backed him e/w.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

. The problem is 3 year olds don't have a good record in this race,

Think you must mean another race. The last two winners were 3YO's. Before that very few had even attempted to run as 3 Yo's.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Fecks sake. It is on the telly. I might stay up and watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Think you must mean another race. The last two winners were 3YO's. Before that very few had even attempted to run as 3 Yo's.

It may well be difference in birthday dates between northern and Southern Hemisphere that is proving the confusion. They are listed as 4yr olds on some sites but were actually 3yr olds in our hemisphere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Stuck a few bob on Latrobe ...class should tell ...if gets the trip .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fecks sake. It is on the telly. I might stay up and watch it.

I wouldn't bother, it starts at 4 am and lasts just over 2 minutes, madness if you have school in the morning. The hours between 1 and 4 in the morning can be very long, especially if your not up to much. It is a Monday night remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Latrobe for me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,410 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

BumperD wrote: »
    It may well be difference in birthday dates between northern and Southern Hemisphere that is proving the confusion. They are listed as 4yr olds on some sites but were actually 3yr olds in our hemisphere :)
    You are correct. I have no excuse now not to get on.

• Advertisement

Ive a few bob on Raymond Tusk @ 20-1 ew

He was an unlucky 4th in the Ebor after a luckless run (carried 60.5kg....runs off 54kg in Cup) and a decent Ascot 2nd to dee Ex Bee (giving 5lb) a few runs back.

Advertisement