Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should those on disability allowance have subsidised cars?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am in full time employment so I need my car. i have only started learning. In the next 2 years i will also be having a hip replacement, due to arthritus.

I have been told that Arthritus sufferers come under the criteria of the primary medical Cert.
    I do know people with it.
    Does it affect your lower limbs?
    If so then that is your calling card.
    "When your arthritus is bad it leaves you basically immobile. You cannot use your legs ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deise_dudette

vectra wrote: »
    I have been told that Arthritus sufferers come under the criteria of the primary medical Cert.
    I do know people with it.
    Does it affect your lower limbs?
    If so then that is your calling card.
    "When your arthritus is bad it leaves you basically immobile. You cannot use your legs ;)

When I first went for the interview for the primary medical cert i was told within 5 minutes that i didnt qualify. I have arthritus in my hips nearly 10 years and im shown early signs of it in my left hand, i do everything with my left hand. I am only 22. Ive never asked for anything in my life from the state.

People who have disabilities and genuinely need grants for cars are being refused while able bodied people seem to achieve more... Its like banging my head against a brick wall :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 deise_dudette

ottobock wrote: »
    I wish you well in this appeal.
    And it does seem that there are quite a few anomalies in this scheme which should be looked at by the Department.

Thank you so much i really appreciate it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

GER12 wrote: »
    but i've seen people in employment earning good wages who were quadroplegics and had a care attendant who was rights paid for getting these benefits.

This is good! I mean a quad with a well paid and successful career is a pretty rare person indeed - check out the stats on PWDs and employment when you're researching all your facts - and for a chippy AB to know more than one in this situation is just short of completely unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    NO they fùcking get enough

You should really take into account the fact that a lot of people on disability allowance are on it for a reason.
    Not everyone who is disabled or has a disability has the luxury of of getting cushy jobs which pay a lot of money.
    Sometimes the DA is all these people live on.

As for the questions about cars, no I don't think we should have that over here.
    AFAIK anyone who claims for DA is issued a bus pass so that should be more than enough I think.

I'm currently getting the blind pension and I was issued a bus pass and it does me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

The guy im in same postion as you but i disagree. Not all area have transport links. Whatever I do first thing I have to think about is how goin to get there. eg. local major town is 15 min drive if I were to get a job starting at 9 am i would have 2 choices get townlink which is often late, goes the longest route and doesnt arrive til 10.05 or leave house at 7.15 walk to train at 7.45 and hang around from 8am in the irish weather.

You live in meath I know meath well and in comparison to many areas it has good public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Partially correct
    VRT is reclaimimable to a certain amount
    Up to :
    Approx €9.5k for a driver
    Apparo €15.5k for a passenger

Depending on how much is reclaimable on the given vehicle.

Again Partially correct
    Excise duty (not VAT) is reclaimable on fuel up to a maximum of approx 2,600 litres per year

Correct

Absolutely incorrect.
    Adaptations have to be paid for by the purchaser.
    ie.
    Driver must make adaptations to the vehicle in respect to their disability.

A Passenger MUST spend at least 10% of the final cost of the vehicle on adaptations.
    However,
    VAT is reclaimable on these adaptations.

Got it wrong in relation to this - but vat is re-claimable though.

In most towns you can only park in the disabled drivers spot.
    ( Have you ever checked how many Fit driver use and abuse these spots?)
    Other towns allow disabled drivers to park anywhere on the street as long as a valid parking disc is displayed.

I agree with you regarding disabled driving places - and the ignorance shown of able-bodied drivers who park in these spots. It comes down to enforcement however from the county councils and parking enforcement. Certainly, when I worked in this sector - we had no problems parking in non-disabled parking spaces quite legally.

Would you prefer to see this person at home claiming disability/invalidity pension instead?
    Give the people a break
    They obviously want to work but need the transport and help to get their.
    ;)

No, I would sooner see equality meaning equality. Provisions put in place to enable disabled people whether these people have physical, mental or learning disabilities get into employment. What I am trying to put across is my experience of the disability sector - which people can agree or disagree with. Part of the remit is social inclusion through equality - and I just think equality should mean equality across the board - no differential treatment including in rights and entitlements, equal opportunities and social policy responses. And in relation to the multitude of organisations that have grown up around the disability sector - why is there so many - there's so much duplication in their action areas.... surely it make better sense to pool resources given many of the challenges are across the board and experienced by people irrespective of the nature of their disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 deniseot

some people here dont seem to realise it costs more to live with a disability ! We either cant get life insurance or if we can have to pay through the nose for it, car insurance costs more for us. and while we dont have to pay for our medication we still have to pay the same as everybody else to go to the doctor or have hospital treatment. I work even with my disability and dont claim disabilty allowance. The whole point of the relief on cars and on duty for fuel is to try and give people with disabilities as close to the same standard of living as everyone else. Also just to let you know it is extreamly difficult to get a primary medical cert so i doubt there are that many chancers getting it that dont deserve It took me ages to get mine and I have very limited use of the whole left side of my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

old boy wrote: »
    a company director that i worked for retired due to health problems, he now drives a fancy bmw free tax etc, he walks 5 miles each day, i cannot walk 50 yards and i am considered not qualified for the same grant. it is no wonder we have nama
    I haven’t applied but from what I have heard from others I will have problems because of my disability (M.E.) even though I can only walk around 15m in one go (and not continuously). The criteria don't seem designed for people like me. I know other people with M.E. who have to use taxis a lot – they have free bus passes but it is too far to walk for them. I have a free bus pass for over a decade but haven’t been able to use it (even though I live in Dublin and have nothing against buses – got them to and from school and college for over a decade before becoming ill).

kangaroo wrote: »
    I haven’t applied but from what I have heard from others I will have problems because of my disability (M.E.) even though I can only walk around 15m in one go (and not continuously). The criteria don't seem designed for people like me. I know other people with M.E. who have to use taxis a lot – they have free bus passes but it is too far to walk for them. I have a free bus pass for over a decade but haven’t been able to use it (even though I live in Dublin and have nothing against buses – got them to and from school and college for over a decade before becoming ill).

I have MS and although I found it hard to get passed for the primary medical cert even though my left side shakes (i have an implant in my brain to lessen the tremor) and i can only walk a few hundred yards. I went and got letters from all my doctors, letters to show what alterations i needed done, letters from the parkinsons assoiation (alot of their members would have the same implant) and i got letters from my local T.D and he made loads of calls for me too. In the end i got it !:)
    If you think you deserve it keep pushing and use every bit of help you can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

deniseot wrote: »
    I have MS and although I found it hard to get passed for the primary medical cert even though my left side shakes (i have an implant in my brain to lessen the tremor) and i can only walk a few hundred yards. I went and got letters from all my doctors, letters to show what alterations i needed done, letters from the parkinsons assoiation (alot of their members would have the same implant) and i got letters from my local T.D and he made loads of calls for me too. In the end i got it !:)
    If you think you deserve it keep pushing and use every bit of help you can think of.
    Thanks. It both gives hope and is also interesting to hear what you did.

Do you know how other people with MS have faired, maybe ones where there isn't a "side-specific" aspect to their condition? i.e. perhaps you could squeeze in under the criteria of not having use of one limb, etc., but I wouldn't.

kangaroo wrote: »
    Thanks. It both gives hope and is also interesting to hear what you did.

Do you know how other people with MS have faired, maybe ones where there isn't a "side-specific" aspect to their condition? i.e. perhaps you could squeeze in under the criteria of not having use of one limb, etc., but I wouldn't.

I more went with the thing of it would be impossible for me to get around without a car. tell them excactly how far you are from nearest bus stop. I also told them i would have to give up working if I didnt have transport. you also have to be able to prove if you are going as a driver that you would be able to maintain control of the car. nobody matches the discription of what is on the list if you did you would not be able to drive. everybody i know that has applied has had to appeal a few times and still only the ones who really had no other way to stay independant got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 knetworks

hi just wondering what would the vrt and vat approx on a 3yr old kia ceed 1.5 dsl,say if the car was on sale for 12000 at the garage.thanks

there is a vrt calculater i think its on the reenue website. google it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

knetworks wrote: »
    hi just wondering what would the vrt and vat approx on a 3yr old kia ceed 1.5 dsl,say if the car was on sale for 12000 at the garage.thanks

I dont think you can reclaim on a pre-registered car.
    You can if say you bought it new and then at a later stage went to make the reclaim

I dont think you can reclaim on a pre-registered car.
    You can if say you bought it new and then at a later stage went to make the reclaim

you can buy a second hand car or even bring a car into the country and register it yourself. I have done both !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

They should.

My GF is in the process of trying to get a car so she can get around. Because she is on disability and doesn't have a wage no car dealer will give her Finance. It's ****.. Her family cant help her as they are unemployed. She has the primary medical cert and all.

If anyone has any advice for me please PM me and i'll pass it along.

Thank you.

NeVeR wrote: »
    They should.

My GF is in the process of trying to get a car so she can get around. Because she is on disability and doesn't have a wage no car dealer will give her Finance. It's ****.. Her family cant help her as they are unemployed. She has the primary medical cert and all.

If anyone has any advice for me please PM me and i'll pass it along.

Thank you.

credit union would prob be her best bet and buy a second hand car

Advertisement