Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade & Retro Chat' Special Championship Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

rubadub wrote: »
    sounds like an archvillian in an Austin Powers film.

He lost his youwho in an unfortunate smelting accident...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Might have a line on a copy of Vectorblade for the Vectrex.
    There's a guy in the US making PCB only copies, one at a time, by hand.
    Thinks he might have one to ship to me.
    The game is outstanding
    Can't wait!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's more new games coming out on the Vectrex than the PS5 and XBox Series X/S will have on launch day.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's more new games coming out on the Vectrex than the PS5 and XBox Series X/S will have on launch day.

This is a true statement.
    The Vectrex community is incredibly busy at the moment, with plenty of titles out and on the way.
    Vectorblade, the PiTrex, Vecfever, Sean Kelly is making his multi cart again along with generating new content to finish unreleased games like Dark Tower out onto the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

530523.jpg

• Advertisement

I can confidently say that my Vectrex will be getting more play over the next six months than the PS5 or Xbox Series X, partially because I didn't secure a pre-order for the PS5 and mostly because the Veccy is awesome... simple as that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can confidently say that my Vectrex will be getting more play over the next six months than the PS5 or Xbox Series X, partially because I didn't secure a pre-order for the PS5 and mostly because the Veccy is awesome... simple as that!

Just don’t wear it out :)

Just don’t wear it out :)

It's okay, I know a guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I've never heard of this before i see you can get scramble on it. That was the first game I really loved. I had it on tape for a commadore Vic20.

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    I've never heard of this before i see you can get scramble on it. That was the first game I really loved. I had it on tape for a commadore Vic20.

Scramble, the first ancestor of Gradius.
    There's a great version on the Famicom/NES as well, not to mention a whole series of great titles in the franchise.
    The Vectrex is a bizarro-world of games that are as old as time but have retained something special because of the display.
    And the homebrew scene is more vibrant than ever.
    If you can find a Veccy, I recommend one highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

XS5LK.gif

Or maybe the first one of all?

It's not fresh in my head anymore but I think it might have been the famicom version of that, would we have had that on at beers do you think?
    or this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadaver_(video_game)
    it showed up when I was checking screen shots.

I'd to move it out of my head because a childhood friend was like "remember a SNES game you used to play" and I can't, I'm a week at it and I'm no closer.
    I posted a video of Cotton and he thought it was that but after gameplay said no, it was a puzzle game with mazes with a bomberman camera
    Tried games like Mario & Wario and other cute games I played a lot like Miracle Girls, nope.

Like Krazy Klown?
    A fun isometric platformer for the Snes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Krazy Klown and the ps1 sequel are little gems

Kind of retro related but I only just found out that Higurashi has been adapted again as an anime. If you don't know, Higurashi is one of the very best visual novels and a real subversion of visual novel tropes. The anime is also a much better way to experience it if you don't have the 80 hours to read through the VN.

A transfer student comes to a new school and makes friends with 4 girls. Everything screams harem anime but it really, really does not go in the direction you expect.

It's a good halloween watch. Can't wait to see the twin sisters doing their nails together ;)

Like Krazy Klown?
    A fun isometric platformer for the Snes
    I think it's either the boss at 7.38
    https://youtu.be/Eww69PE8_1k

Or Goof Troop was my other idea, still haven't heard back, the cheek jkjk

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

See Parcel Motel are increasing their price to 4.50 a package?

Really going to have to think twice about using their service now for smaller to mid sized eBay items. I was already annoyed after the last increase but this is some jump!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Addresspal still €3.95

I only use parcel motel for sending stuff within Ireland to other users now. Had stuff go missing and delayed for weeks before with them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I use DPD parcel wizard. €3.85 to your door and you can track the van all the way. Another bonus is if someone or some shop is sending you something and they happen to use DPD, the package pops up in the app and you can track it that way as well.
    I'd say I've had a couple thousand packages using parcel wizard without issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Addresspal still €3.95

I only use parcel motel for sending stuff within Ireland to other users now. Had stuff go missing and delayed for weeks before with them

Parcel Wizard is still €3.85, direct to your door and with a more generous size limit than Addresspal or Parcel Motel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ah, so there is general chat thread.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread by I just dug out 9 Game Gear games I found while moving.
    Was going to make a thread asking if any of them are worth anything above like 3-5 euros just in case there is some sought after goodies among them.
    If there is a better thread to post on, let me know please.
    1. Sonic The Hedgehog 1 (w/ Manual)
    2. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    3. The GG Shinobi
    4. Columns (w/ Manual)
    5. Galaga
    6. Factory Panic (w/ Manual)
    7. Lemmings (w/ Manual)
    8. PGA Tour Golf 2 (w/ Manual)
    9. Super Monaco GP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

o1s1n wrote: »
    See Parcel Motel are increasing their price to 4.50 a package?

Really going to have to think twice about using their service now for smaller to mid sized eBay items. I was already annoyed after the last increase but this is some jump!

I stopped using about a year ago due to it being very slow. Switched to Parcel Wizard and never looked back.

I now only ever use parcel motel for santa stuff or similar

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I use DPD parcel wizard. €3.85 to your door and you can track the van all the way. Another bonus is if someone or some shop is sending you something and they happen to use DPD, the package pops up in the app and you can track it that way as well.
    Same here, handy to get the text although I'm rarely out now.
    My dog is in love with the DPD delivery guy, he gets a belly rub every parcel but he won't talk to him if doesn't knock, if I open the door first he'll just sit in the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I didn't know this, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Downside of AddressPal was they'd always notify me just before they're due to close that day and I'm no longer 5 minutes away from a post office so probably wouldn't make it by car/bike now.

Most of our parcels are DPD these days and they've really been on the ball. If I'm paying to have it forwarded I might as well get it to the door.

Here trying to download Jet Set Radio to my 360, after a sesh of Outrun Online on the same console, while Resi Evil 2 was looping in the background, on my N64... What a time to be alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Had my dreams crushed to pulp with getting a killer instinct cabinet. Just too big at the base :(

So I've started sniffing around others (UK lockdown isn't helping), and one in the top 5 would be Robocop, but with the full size sideart. Just a cool machine all round. Saw this video earlier from tnt that shows it off (minus art). Love the curved marquees on the deco stuff!

New Raspberry Pi variant, the Raspberry Pi 400.
    I'm not in love with the design, but it might be a nice option for some people to emulate the likes of the speccy, c64, Amiga etc.
    Such a pity they didn't make room for an internal USB 3 drive(trap door like the Amiga) or stick full size HDMI ports on the back.

DESKTOP_SIDE_.0.jpg

jZpiWdppTMSzD7XRr77Dze-2560-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Ah, so there is general chat thread.

Wasn't sure if I should start a new thread by I just dug out 9 Game Gear games I found while moving.
    Was going to make a thread asking if any of them are worth anything above like 3-5 euros just in case there is some sought after goodies among them.
    If there is a better thread to post on, let me know please.
    1. Sonic The Hedgehog 1 (w/ Manual)
    2. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    3. The GG Shinobi
    4. Columns (w/ Manual)
    5. Galaga
    6. Factory Panic (w/ Manual)
    7. Lemmings (w/ Manual)
    8. PGA Tour Golf 2 (w/ Manual)
    9. Super Monaco GP

I dont think theres anything crazy expensive there from just looking up ebay etc, probably best selling as one bundle possibly if you're letting them go.

(edit, i see galaga actually goes for about 30 - 50 euro give or take)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

New Raspberry Pi variant, the Raspberry Pi 400.
    I'm not in love with the design, but it might be a nice option for some people to emulate the likes of the speccy, c64, Amiga etc.
    Such a pity they didn't make room for an internal USB 3 drive(trap door like the Amiga) or stick full size HDMI ports on the back.
    Saw that but thought it was just a fancy (expensive) case for an existing Pi but its a new board and all. Strange they didn't include a full size HDMI port alright.

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Saw that but thought it was just a fancy (expensive) case for an existing Pi but its a new board and all. Strange they didn't include a full size HDMI port alright.

To be honest, the HDMI is annoying when you have to use dongles etc. But the real missed opportunity is allowing an internal USB 3 storage device. It's so much faster to run the OS/Games/whatever on a fast USB key or SSD compared to the microsd.

Advertisement