Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do you want/ not want children?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Here is one such thought:
    I find babies gross, the drool, the runny noses, the nappies, etc... I really cringe if someone tries to make me kiss their baby - it makes my skin crawl - genuinely it does. Now I dont say to my friends personally "please keep your baby away I find them disgusting" because I know theyd be offended. But I should be allowed to say it here, on a discussion forum - not pertaining to anyones baby in particular. I cant help this cringey reaction. Im grand generally with bodily gross stuff but the whole saliva fingers and drool thing and then being expected to kiss them - I really really do not like it. I have driven around the corner and stopped the car and vomited out the door having been forced to kiss someones baby - its that visceral a reaction. If people find that offensive Im sorry for them, but I cant help how I feel and I think that I should be allowed to say that - even if some people dont like it.

I thinks thats really honest! (and funny)!! I can completely relate to this, while I haven't vomited I have been completely grossed out by holding kids that have puked or drooled on me :( One of my extended family members finds it hilarious how uncomfortable I am around kids and gives me one to hold at every opportunity. You can't say "no thanks, I think they're gross" so I end up holding the poor child praying someone will save me!

But then again I have a cat, who wanders around all my kitchen counters and other people find that gross!! :P Each to their own!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

sambuka41 wrote: »
    But then again I have a cat, who wanders around all my kitchen counters and other people find that gross!! :P Each to their own!!

I dont mind animal drool, spit, vomit - indeed, I have cared for my own mother after a stroke and dealt with a variety of bodily fluids and nasties - but I am not expected to hold and kiss animals or old people in this situation - and I AM expected to kiss children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

and I AM expected to kiss children.

I don't like kissing kids either, not because it grosses me out (but your description of it is very funny :D) but because I feel like I'm invading someone else's space when I do. I cringe when friends or family say "give aunty Jerrica a kiss goodbye!" because I remember that horrible feeling of being made to do it when I was younger. Likewise I think I'll be very uncomfortable with people I don't know or am not very familiar with kissing my baby. Except me, the poor child will be smothered from day 1 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I just never wanted kids. Even as a child I hated dolls and all things designed for little girls to play mummy to. I was very up front with my now husband when we started going out together. There is just no way that I could be happy as someone's mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'd love children. I just think they are great, have met some really great kids you just want to kidnap! And I know some friends of mine who have had children and just seem so happy now, even if they weren't planned. I get very broody when I see kids around and even on TV. I just feel like I have a lot of love to give or something :o

Kinda not sure though. It'll be a couple of year till I'm fully qualified in my job to even think seriously about it, but I suffer from anxiety and stress a lot, not sure how good of a mother I'd really make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I would never say never.

But I lean towards no.

When you have children with someone your are connected to that someone for life.

I don't think I would feel ok about working and raising children. I would feels the guilts. And I don't like the idea of losing that independence and being dependent on another person.

I have a friend in this position and I asked her if she wanted to come out. She had to ask her husband for money etc.

Plus financially I would worry etc. I don't think I could watch children going without.

And of course I am afraid of pregnancy and childbirth.

But then I see a picture or something or I think if the guy/girl I was with really wanted them.

I dunno ...I think I know one thing though...THERE MUST BE NO ACCIDENTAL BABIES.

Plan it to the letter and within marriage etc.

But I am undecided.

I know some women manage career and motherhood. I don't know how. But I don't know how they deal with guilt.

Also what if you ended up having a child with special needs or something?

Plus I have seen childbirth on youtube....whenever I see that I say yeah ..no **** that....if i did do it I would have drugs and drugs and more drugs...them gym after to snap back...

But yeah no I lean towards no. But you have to take into consideration what the other person might want too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jerrica wrote: »
    I don't like kissing kids either, not because it grosses me out (but your description of it is very funny :D) but because I feel like I'm invading someone else's space when I do.

That's funny
    I always ask my baby cousins if I can have a hug
    If they don't want to that's like okay cool
    I never thought about it, just do it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I HATE when the little feicers jump on my couch - I have cream porcelain tiles downstairs and all my carpets are cream - if that's not a sign of NO CHILDREN WELCOME what is? I have a friend that has never been in my house (cos she has three boys and they would wreck my lovely house) - but can I just say the best line of the whole thread is Lucyfur saying she'd love a giraffe.............I'd love a penguin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's funny
    I always ask my baby cousins if I can have a hug
    If they don't want to that's like okay cool
    I never thought about it, just do it that way

I would ask beforehand too because
    some kids don't like it. My father, without thinking, said to my niece give a family friend(who happens to be a farmer who had been working before he called) a kiss goodbye. Her reply......'no, he's dirty!' :)

I don't really foist my baby on others for hugs and kisses either because I know some people don't like them/feel awkward around them. I used to be awkward around babies myself before I had her. A baby would be shoved into your arms and you would be wondering what was the appropriate amount of time to hold him/her so as not to look rude/hog her. I find most people will ask if they want to hold her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But be very clear that this is not a blanket comment that all parents everywhere and forever are shadows of their former selves as a result of having children. But some are - I mean we all know people who are! - and stating this fact is not and should not be offensive - its just a statement of an unhappy fact.

Thats the thing though, how do you know they are unhappy? Have they actually told you they are unhappy?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Jerrica wrote: »
    I don't like kissing kids either, not because it grosses me out (but your description of it is very funny :D) but because I feel like I'm invading someone else's space when I do. I cringe when friends or family say "give aunty Jerrica a kiss goodbye!" because I remember that horrible feeling of being made to do it when I was younger. Likewise I think I'll be very uncomfortable with people I don't know or am not very familiar with kissing my baby. Except me, the poor child will be smothered from day 1 :pac:

I remember that too - awful! I swore I'd never make my child kiss or hug anyone they don't want to. Total invasion of their person IMO. I taught him early to blow kisses instead when they ask for a kiss. Babies are people too!

eviltwin wrote: »
    Thats the thing though, how do you know they are unhappy? Have they actually told you they are unhappy?

Yeah, some have, but you don't have to be a mind reader to tell when someone is unhappy, it's obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Lou.m wrote: »
    I know some women manage career and motherhood.'t know how. But I don't know how they deal with guilt.

How do the stay at home mothers deal with guilt that they are placing themselves and their children in more financially unsecure position, very dependant on their partner, which can be incredibly tricky if there is also domestic violence? And in case of their partners death or some some of accident are very often too long from labour market to walk easily back into a job? I don't know what is this obsession with thinking that women with children should by default just follow some Catholic ideal of self sacrifice. Stay at home mothers were the single biggest culture shock for me when I moved over here. I know I probably insulted the other half of the forum but for someone who comes from a country where women work in paid employment regardless of their financial or family situation, this kind of thing really is incomprehensible. People should be able to stay at home if it makes sense for them (financially and emotionally) but it should not be hailed as some kind of ideal. I don't think children where parents work are any more damaged, it is probably also less likely they will become long term dole offenders.

Oh and I am not going back to the previous argument, I would just like to say that I am not patronising towards all childFREE people just towards those who go on about cute kittens when they talk about children. I haven't notice anybody saying that they would rather have a dog than parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Yeah, some have, but you don't have to be a mind reader to tell when someone is unhappy, it's obvious!

But do you know that's because they have children? Maybe there's other things making them unhappy. I had plenty of moments of unhappiness when I was childfree.

lazygal wrote: »
    But do you know that's because they have children? Maybe there's other things making them unhappy. I had plenty of moments of unhappiness when I was childfree.

Hi, listen I'm not gonna get into a big debate about this again, see my earlier posts. I am specifically talking about people I know who were bright, happy, outgoing individuals, who then had children and became shadows of themselves. Since they became parents they are stressed, broke, complain constantly about a lack of sleep, support, time, how their marriage is suffering etc.. They complain about parenting, how it's so hard, how they wish they were child free etc...

I'm not sure why, and this is the second time on this thread that this observation of mine has been picked right down to "but how do you know, it could be other things". This is what I see. If I could show you these people you would come to the same conclusion (as the rest of their friends have). You may choose to believe what I say or not as you please but I'm not debating it any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

meeeeh wrote: »

Oh and I am not going back to the previous argument, I would just like to say that I am not patronising towards all childFREE people just towards those who go on about cute kittens when they talk about children. I haven't notice anybody saying that they would rather have a dog than parents.

LOL! I have to stop myself comparing my cat to other people's children sometimes, because I know some people get insulted by it. I can't help it though, if they are talking about having to get up in the middle of the night, or what cute little thing their child did then I want to share my stories too!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Malari wrote: »
    LOL! I have to stop myself comparing my cat to other people's children sometimes, because I know some people get insulted by it. I can't help it though, if they are talking about having to get up in the middle of the night, or what cute little thing their child did then I want to share my stories too!

I was the same with my dogs. I'd probably be the same now if I had a dog, even though I have two kids.

It's nothing to do with equating pets to children, it's just that there are some of the same challenges and it's human nature to compare those in conversation.

Just to address the "guilt of a working mother" trope from earlier. For me there is none. My kids (and me, and my husband) deserve the best version of me. I've been the non-earning stay at home mum, and that was not the best me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

No guilt about working here either. Both myself and my husband had working parents and there was no downside. I need to work outside the home to be a good parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Haha! I have great conversations at work with one of my colleagues, where we compare my child to her labrador. I don't take it as an insult at all - I used to have a dog myself and tbh, at times looking after my toddler reminds me of looking after my dog. I have to make sure everything breakable is out of reach, she needs plenty of food, exercise and cuddles, bathtime is as messy and every time I eat something, I get a pair of eyes watching me, looking for scraps. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I never felt guilty either. I cut back on work because it was too much pressure and I had no time for myself, I was burnt out. Trying to fit my life into evenings and weekends just wasn't for me, I'm not really a nine to five office person. Going part time gives me room to work but yet gives me a personal life as well. I suppose most people who know me probably think I went part time because of the kids but really it was about me :o

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    I suppose most people who know me probably think I went part time because of the kids but really it was about me :o

Fair play to you, Id love to do the same!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"Look I have the cutest pic of osky isn't he cute LOOK AT IT"
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Would really like children if possible, I won't let it define me though if I can't. I like kids and love my friends kids, but seriously sometimes the amount on pictures on social media...I log in and its like an onslaught!!

jaja321 wrote: »
    Would really like children if possible, I won't let it define me though if I can't. I like kids and love my friends kids, but seriously sometimes the amount on pictures on social media...I log in and its like an onslaught!!

I actually unfollow anyone who over-posts the kids pics. I dont mind seeing the odd pic but Ive no interest in my entire news feed being taken up. Also some people post kid pics that I find gross but they think are funny - so its unfollow for them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I actually unfollow anyone who over-posts the kids pics. I dont mind seeing the odd pic but Ive no interest in my entire news feed being taken up. Also some people post kid pics that I find gross but they think are funny - so its unfollow for them too!

Same. Some of my friends have kids, and whereas I don't mind, "Kid's first day at school" I certainly don't appreciate "Kid had the squits all night and bathroom is destroyed".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

jaja321 wrote: »

I am not a great fan of social media anyway. I try to keep that aspect of my life very private. I have a drop box account and my mother and some other relatives are allowed to share certain files but I do not post any pictures on FB or any other public forum. I'm not overly interested in other people's photos (any kind with a few exceptions) and I like to keep certain things private.

As for animals, I have no problem talking about animals, I love our dog and ten years later I still talk about my 'no balls one eyed' cat who is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

meeeeh wrote: »
    I am not a great fan of social media anyway. I try to keep that aspect of my life very private. I have a drop box account and my mother and some other relatives are allowed to share certain files but I do not post any pictures on FB or any other public forum. I'm not overly interested in other people's photos (any kind with a few exceptions) and I like to keep certain things private.

As for animals, I have no problem talking about animals, I love our dog and ten years later I still talk about my 'no balls one eyed' cat who is a legend.

Good for you, I actually think it's weird to upload all these baby photos. There are kids I've never even met who I feel I know as their parents have uploaded daily updates of their lives. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

bluewolf wrote: »
    "Look I have the cutest pic of osky isn't he cute LOOK AT IT"
    :o

I have a few friends who are not animal fans at all, and I honestly don't think they could even tell me what colour my cat is, so I never show them pics, or even mention my cat really with them.

On the other hand, there are friends I can get locked into a never-ending cycle of pet-pics on the phone when we meet up :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

In fairness small kids and pet comparison is easy to do. I am just back to London after a visit home, I was telling my dad and brother how I couldn't do the kids thing, after watching my bro clean up after my nephews I declared kids are too much work I'll stick with my cat!

I get home and the cat is so annoyed with me he pisses all over the bed, spent ages washing mattress and covers, my dad thought this was hilarious, he was like hhmmm yeah pets are less work than kids,sure!! :D :P

I find it funny when people get offended by the child pet comparison, why would it bother a parent how I view my pet or their children? Its back to perspective, even if I view my cat as equal to a child what difference does that make to the child? How is it insulting? For some people its the same instincts that drive their nurturing of a child as with a pet. Each to their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

sambuka41 wrote: »
    In fairness small kids and pet comparison is easy to do. I am just back to London after a visit home, I was telling my dad and brother how I couldn't do the kids thing, after watching my bro clean up after my nephews I declared kids are too much work I'll stick with my cat!

I get home and the cat is so annoyed with me he pisses all over the bed, spent ages washing mattress and covers, my dad thought this was hilarious, he was like hhmmm yeah pets are less work than kids,sure!! :D :P

I find it funny when people get offended by the child pet comparison, why would it bother a parent how I view my pet or their children? Its back to perspective, even if I view my cat as equal to a child what difference does that make to the child? How is it insulting? For some people its the same instincts that drive their nurturing of a child as with a pet. Each to their own.
    It's funny what bothers people though! I watched the Chimpanzee film with my son recently, and I commented to my mother that the baby chimp reminded me of how my son plays. She went nuts thinking I had CALLED him a chimp. :rolleyes: (didn't help when I said that we're all apes anyway).

Advertisement