Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Wexford tickets go on sale at the end of this month to the general public, a lot earlier than usual and with a new pricing structure involving some tickets as low as 25 euro I believe.

They must be feeling the pinch .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Saw Fille du Regiment at ROH with Juan Diego Florez last night.

OMG. Wow. These kind of singers come along a couple of times in your life singing at their peak of their careers.

Can't say much more. Still in a state of shell shock. Simply fabulous!!!!:)

westtip wrote: »

OMG. Wow. These kind of singers come along a couple of times in your life singing at their peak of their careers.

I saw it with him and Dessay a few years back at ROH and it is one of, if not the highlight of my opera going life .

marienbad wrote: »
    I saw it with him and Dessay a few years back at ROH and it is one of, if not the highlight of my opera going life .

MB his second act aria also bought the house down, he held onto the last note of that aria with a degree of perfection that was simply magical! but that Mes Amis will live forever in my mind. I couldn't get tickets five years ago. I have been to the ROH many times and have been lucky enough to have heard the greats of our generation at the peak of their careers there, I truly do believe Juan Diego is going to join those greats. I am not into the comparing voices game - and the issue about him being the "new Pavorotti", was Pavorotti the new Stefano? No, Pavorotti, Domingo, Stefano were all themselves. Florez truly is amazing - he is only 41 - he won't be singing Tonio in probably five years time, it truly is a role for a young tenor at his peak, I don't think Pavorotti sang it as role much past the age of 45 (1980), yet he was known as the King of the High C's because of what he achieved in that one aria so I really wanted to hear florez do it now. He has such an amazing career ahead of him. When you hear voices like this - you know 30 years later you will be looking back - and thinking - I heard him at his very best. It truly was a privilege to be in the ROH last night. Like you it goes down as one of the top five highlights of many many nights in opera houses over the course of the last thirty years. Memorable!!! I'm still dizzy!

MB his second act aria also bought the house down, he held onto the last note of that aria with a degree of perfection that was simply magical! but that Mes Amis will live forever in my mind. I couldn't get tickets five years ago. I have been to the ROH many times and have been lucky enough to have heard the greats of our generation at the peak of their careers there, I truly do believe Juan Diego is going to join those greats. I am not into the comparing voices game - and the issue about him being the "new Pavorotti", was Pavorotti the new Stefano? No, Pavorotti, Domingo, Stefano were all themselves. Florez truly is amazing - he is only 41 - he won't be singing Tonio in probably five years time, it truly is a role for a young tenor at his peak, I don't think Pavorotti sang it as role much past the age of 45 (1980), yet he was known as the King of the High C's because of what he achieved in that one aria so I really wanted to hear florez do it now. He has such an amazing career ahead of him. When you hear voices like this - you know 30 years later you will be looking back - and thinking - I heard him at his very best. It truly was a privilege to be in the ROH last night. Like you it goes down as one of the top five highlights of many many nights in opera houses over the course of the last thirty years. Memorable!!! I'm still dizzy!

My God was it five years ago already !! I got just one ticket by chance and I knew the opera gods were smiling on me .

Great night ,great opera, great cast and I agree with you - we should not compare .Just be grateful we have had all these magnificent artists in our lifetime .

And to think it is not that long ago the Florez was in the Wexford festival with Jurowski conducting, how time flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

It is truly heart-warming that, given your long association with the genre, you can enthuse so effusively about a current performer. By the way, how was Ms Ciofi? - and indeed Ms te Kanawa?

garancafan wrote: »
    It is truly heart-warming that, given your long association with the genre, you can enthuse so effusively about a current performer. By the way, how was Ms Ciofi? - and indeed Ms te Kanawa?

Thanks, the day I stop enthusing about brilliance and genius is the day they nail down the lid. Ms Ciofi was charming in the role, she is a lovely soprano well able to grace the stage of the ROH, there are lots of good sopranos out there so maybe my raving about Juan Diego is unfair on her, the Guardian reported she had a viral infection and there were some indications of slight strain in her voice, she played the tom-boy role beautifully, her second act aria was a delight and the whole choreography of her relationship with "her" regiment was simply wonderful to watch being played out. This is such a lovely delightful production, but she is good, mark my words.

Re Dame Kiri, and being fortunate enough to see her play the pantomine dame role on her birthday. She sang the little ditty they slipped in for her from Puccinis Edgar very nicely, for a 70 year old, she got a great ovation and they held a stage managed birthday celebration for her at the end with a drop down screen and various messages from celebs. For me the most notable of which was Placido who referred to the wonderful Manon Lescaut they did together I was privileged to see back in the 1980s, I also remember him as Cavaradossi opposite her Tosca in or around 1980 so for me it was pure nostalgia. I heard the dame sing many times in her prime, this was a fond farewell to say thank you Kiri.

But lets look to the future and in ten years time hearing Florez as a great Otello. I am wittering on here, believe me - it was a memorable evening last Thursday. Memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wexoperafan

Am delighted to read this comment. Off to London tomorrow, and I have a ticket for the Wednesday matinee performance of La Fille du Regiment with Florez. Was looking forward to it. Now I am at the can't get there soon enough stage :)

Still have the ticket for Rigoletto on Wednesday night at ENO. Looks like it could be the case that Wednesday will go from the sublime to the ridiculous ?

Wex

Am delighted to read this comment. Off to London tomorrow, and I have a ticket for the Wednesday matinee performance of La Fille du Regiment with Florez. Was looking forward to it. Now I am at the can't get there soon enough stage :)

Still have the ticket for Rigoletto on Wednesday night at ENO. Looks like it could be the case that Wednesday will go from the sublime to the ridiculous ?

Wex

don't spoil your day, live on the high c's have a few drinks in celebration and give the Rigoletto ticket away is my recommendation. Strange day for a matinee, Wednesday!

Wex

Wex how was Rigoletto for you? More to the point how was JDF in La Fille.

• Advertisement

Wex how was Rigoletto for you? More to the point how was JDF in La Fille.

Hi Westtip

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Was away from Tuesday for work - interferring with my opera activities yet again !!

JDF was superb as expected. Heard him in Pesaro in 2012 and 2013 and thought that there was a slight edge / sharpness coming into the voice, but at Fille I could not find any fault. Have to be totally honest and say that I was not impressed with Ciofi. She sounded very breathy and the top notes were very effortful. The rest of the cast - even Kiri were excellent. Overall an enjoyable way to pass a Wednesday afternoon.

Rigoletto was well sung and there were very committed performances from all the cast. I have no clue as to what Alden was doing on stage, but managed to disconnect the visual from the aural and enjoyed the music. The 2 glasses of wine I had beforehand may have assisted with that !

Highlight of the trip was the performance of Die Frau ohne Schatten at CG on Friday 14th. Again the production was a bit odd – but the opera itself could be called that – but the singing and orchestra were magnificent.

The Dyer’s Wife was Elena Pankratova was absolutely class as was the Dyer , Johan Reuter. Their scene together at the beginning of Act 3 will stay in my memory for a long time.

Wex

Hi Westtip

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Was away from Tuesday for work - interferring with my opera activities yet again !!

JDF was superb as expected. Heard him in Pesaro in 2012 and 2013 and thought that there was a slight edge / sharpness coming into the voice, but at Fille I could not find any fault. Have to be totally honest and say that I was not impressed with Ciofi. She sounded very breathy and the top notes were very effortful. The rest of the cast - even Kiri were excellent. Overall an enjoyable way to pass a Wednesday afternoon.

Rigoletto was well sung and there were very committed performances from all the cast. I have no clue as to what Alden was doing on stage, but managed to disconnect the visual from the aural and enjoyed the music. The 2 glasses of wine I had beforehand may have assisted with that !

Highlight of the trip was the performance of Die Frau ohne Schatten at CG on Friday 14th. Again the production was a bit odd – but the opera itself could be called that – but the singing and orchestra were magnificent.

The Dyer’s Wife was Elena Pankratova was absolutely class as was the Dyer , Johan Reuter. Their scene together at the beginning of Act 3 will stay in my memory for a long time.

Wex

I'd need a bottle of wine before I could see that Rigoletto again and try to make any sense of it - bizarre wasn't it.

Agree to a point about Ciofi. but JDF is something else. Great to hear about Die Frau. Intend seeing it in early April.

Did anyone see boheme from the Met tonight. Dreadful sound quality in Sligo - any problems in other venues. The sound on the first three acts was simply dreadful in sligo - I asked and got a refund it was so bad.

Did anyone see boheme from the Met tonight. Dreadful sound quality in Sligo - any problems in other venues. The sound on the first three acts was simply dreadful in sligo - I asked and got a refund it was so bad.

Yes I saw it in Limerick , sound seemed ok to me . Although I thought Rodolfo was a bit ill at ease in the lower register, but I put that down to the singer rather than the sound system.

Didn't see, but caught Act IV on Lyric FM - sound fine.

Yes I saw it in Limerick , sound seemed ok to me . Although I thought Rodolfo was a bit ill at ease in the lower register, but I put that down to the singer rather than the sound system.

You would have noticed it. I was close to walking out, but had someone with me, as were several others in sligo, there was a hissing sound on the speakers,almost like when you are slightly out of tune on FM radio, it was a bit like listening to a scratchy LP on an old box mono record player, speakers vibrating type noise and cackle and hiss interference, the first two acts were "unlisteneable " (is there such word!), the third act despite complaints was even worse simply dreadful, by time the fourth act came around they had sorted some technical issues and it was at best acceptable. I think it was a local issue but just want to get some feedback from others who saw it in other venues. Anyway give them their due - they refunded the full €48 to my credit card! If you don't ask you don't get!

I thought these broadcasts were a good idea and still supportive but the MET ones at €24 are expensive for what is a night in the cinema, (the opera in cinema distributor which does the ROH and other houses only charge €15) I have experienced a few technical problems not just in sligo but other venues as well, this is not acceptable as you are paying for technical excellence by the broadcaster and cinema to provide a near theatre experience. People go on about the "live" experience, well you have to suffer the theatre length intervals, and watching a few roadies move scenery is interesting the first time but loses its appeal, and its not as if you are in the foyer of the Met sipping a glass of wine and people watching. Actually the best technical experience has been on "non live" cinema broadcasts, any technical glitches are sorted it is still a live performance and most operas are about the length of a feature length film. In terms of technical and near theatre experience the best I have had today was in the EYE cinema in Galway, the sound was fantastic - good and loud - whilst I am having a go at sligo - too much sound coming in from other parts of the multiplex....Ah well next time I am going to try Castlebar Linnenhall venue.

Just a brief note to say that Wexford Festival Opera won the award for Best Re-discovered work at The International Opera Awards in London on Monday night for last seasons Cristina regina di Svezia.

Wex

Just a brief note to say that Wexford Festival Opera won the award for Best Re-discovered work at The International Opera Awards in London on Monday night for last seasons Cristina regina di Svezia.

Wex

Thanks Wex. Great news. Would you believe I had tickets but was unable to attend!!

Any news of principals for this year?

garancafan wrote: »
    Thanks Wex. Great news. Would you believe I had tickets but was unable to attend!!

Any news of principals for this year?

Pity that you missed it. It was good show.

No news about this years singers - not even rumours !
    Will keep an ear to the ground and will post when I have concrete info.

Wex

Pity that you missed it. It was good show.

No news about this years singers - not even rumours !
    Will keep an ear to the ground and will post when I have concrete info.

Wex

Chelsea Opera Group have announced that they will give a concert performance of Cristina regina di Svezia by Foroni at Cadogan Hall on November 8th.

Helena Dix who sang the title role, and Andrew Greenwood who conducted the opera in Wexford last will reprise their roles.

Wex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

Is anybody going to anything in Wexford this year?
    The only one I'd be interested in is Salome, but I didn't realize the priority booking opened on March 1st instead of the usual first week in May so there are hardly any tickets left.

Is anybody going to anything in Wexford this year?
    The only one I'd be interested in is Salome, but I didn't realize the priority booking opened on March 1st instead of the usual first week in May so there are hardly any tickets left.

I am all booked and ready to go ,I even have all the cds bought to familiarise myself with the music . :)

Does Salome look as though it's going to be worth hearing/seeing?

Does Salome look as though it's going to be worth hearing/seeing?

Would you believe I haven't even listened to any of them yet, I am too busy working my way through La Cenerentola, Moses und Aron , Le Chute de la Maison Usher etc , all of which I will be going to before Wexford .

Life is indeed difficult :)

I've just booked a ticket for Salome on October 25th,
    Row D, seat 9 in the circle.
    I've only ever sat in the stalls in the new theatre in Wexford.
    But it's not a bit theatre so I'm sure it will be fine.
    Has anybody sat up there before?

I've just booked a ticket for Salome on October 25th,
    Row D, seat 9 in the circle.
    I've only ever sat in the stalls in the new theatre in Wexford.
    But it's not a bit theatre so I'm sure it will be fine.
    Has anybody sat up there before?

Yeah, I have been sitting everywhere , no problems in the circle . Very good seats actually.

I love the new theatre in Wexford.
    I've heard opera in more places than I care to remember, but I've never been anywhere where the voices fly over the orchestra like they do in Wexford. Quite stunning.

I love the new theatre in Wexford.
    I've heard opera in more places than I care to remember, but I've never been anywhere where the voices fly over the orchestra like they do in Wexford. Quite stunning.

Indeed , they have done a great job with the renovation . But it is the least we can expect with the prices they are charging !

,I even have all the cds bought to familiarise myself with the music . :)

I never prepare for the operas in Wexford. I prefer to savour the idea of going to an opera I know absolutely nothing about (very rare when most opera houses seem to rotate between La Boheme and La Traviata).

• Advertisement

I never prepare for the operas in Wexford. I prefer to savour the idea of going to an opera I know absolutely nothing about (very rare when most opera houses seem to rotate between La Boheme and La Traviata).

I like that also , but I enjoy them much more when I know the music . I won't bother with the libretto just have an idea of the score .

Advertisement