Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Anyone go to the Met Opera HD Macbeth last night. All very good Netrebko brilliant and the whole cast first class but I am getting fed up with these broadcasts, no technical glitches in the broadcast last night but in the Carrick on Shannon (no longer on in sligo who have switched to the ROH live broadcasts), and the volume was just not loud enough and the air conditioning unit was too loud! I don't think i will ever go to a broadcast at this cinema again. The sound system is just not up to standard. The best I have experienced so far is the Eye cinema in Galway, I will pick and choose future performances to go to but for example the Meistersinger in December will be worth a longer drive to a cinema that actually takes its opera going audience seriously.

Any other reports from other locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

westtip wrote: »
    Anyone go to the Met Opera HD Macbeth last night. All very good Netrebko brilliant and the whole cast first class but I am getting fed up with these broadcasts, no technical glitches in the broadcast last night but in the Carrick on Shannon (no longer on in sligo who have switched to the ROH live broadcasts), and the volume was just not loud enough and the air conditioning unit was too loud! I don't think i will ever go to a broadcast at this cinema again. The sound system is just not up to standard. The best I have experienced so far is the Eye cinema in Galway, I will pick and choose future performances to go to but for example the Meistersinger in December will be worth a longer drive to a cinema that actually takes its opera going audience seriously.

Any other reports from other locations?

The cinema in Limerick seems to have had a sound upgrade since last season , it was outstanding.

Can't agree with you on Netrebko . I know I will be in a minority but I just don't get the adoration she draws and imho she is completely wrong in this role , no menace or sense of deviousness , just a pretty face that never seems to get out of her nightie - all a bit passé at this stage .
    Heresy I know but there you go.

marienbad wrote: »
    Heresy I know but there you go.

Heresy indeed! Only the best dramatic verdi soprano of the generation IMO.

thanks for comment about Limerick, I won't be going to Carrick again - its simply not worth it to try and listen to the opera over the noise of the air conditioning unit and the volume and sound system just wasn't worth paying €25 for.
    Anyone been to the Eye in Galway recently - I seem to remember it was very good the first time I went there for a Tosca about 3 years ago when the Met series started in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 wexoperafan

The rep for Wexford 2015 was announced last night

Koanga by Frederic Delius
    Guglielmo Ratcliff by Pietro Mascagni
    Le pré aux clercs by Ferdinand Hérold

Wex

Juan Diego tonight! Can't wait!

• Advertisement

JDF wonderful! still on cloud nine! In fact probably heresy to some but closing my eyes and listening last night it took me back to the first time I heard Pavorotti in his early 40s. Every bit as good at that age, we are very lucky to have an heir to the throne of king of the tenors and king of the high c's. Last night aside from not singing Mes Amis was just fabulous, the standing ovation and adulation of the audience was well deserved and the expense of the tickets worth every penny!!!! JDF please come back to Dublin for a repeat performance next year.

Really enjoying Wexford this year and today is my last day , so this afternoon we have Trial By Jury and The Wandering Scholar and Don Bucefalo this evening.

Anybody else go this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

JDF wonderful! still on cloud nine! In fact probably heresy to some but closing my eyes and listening last night it took me back to the first time I heard Pavorotti in his early 40s. Every bit as good at that age, we are very lucky to have an heir to the throne of king of the tenors and king of the high c's. Last night aside from not singing Mes Amis was just fabulous, the standing ovation and adulation of the audience was well deserved and the expense of the tickets worth every penny!!!! JDF please come back to Dublin for a repeat performance next year.

Cloud nine is getting crowded - I'm just recently back from London after a recital by Ms. Garanca followed by a meet and greet! I can say, with authority, that she is even more beautiful up close.
    The gala performance in Wexford featured a video greeting from JDF in which he spoke very fondly of his memories of the festival. He seems to be a most charming young man.

@Marianbad. I enjoyed Don Bucefalo on Sunday - an opera buffa with some great music. Particularly entertaining was when the good Don "conducts" the orchestra. I was amused to learn that the volunteers refer to it as "buffalo".

garancafan wrote: »
    The gala performance in Wexford featured a video greeting from JDF in which he spoke very fondly of his memories of the festival. He seems to be a most charming young man.

He most certainly is - the patience he showed after show when staying behind to sign autographs on copies of a CD he had on sale was amazing - the CD L'amour -a new CD of an all french collection and mainly the repertoire of the concert is very much worth buying. He really did seem to show his appreciation allowing people to have photos with him and doing selfies etc. A friend of mine said you are like a teenage girl at a One direction concert - once I had established who One Direction are I understood the comment, Juan Diego is just fabulous! Who needs boy bands to adore.

Now that the dust has settled what did people make of Wexford this year ?

I thought the opening act of Silent Night was brilliant but after that the libretto seem to drag in every cliché possible and it descended into too much sentimentality. Still a great night at the theatre though .

Salome is growing on me more and more , it seemed slight enough at the time but there was quality of decay about it that made it well worth the visit.

Don Bucefalo was great fun , but if it wasn't so brilliantly staged and sung would we even remember in in 3 months .

Overall though the productions are of astonishing quality and seem to be improving each year.

By the way , next year's offerings - Koanga by Delius and Le Pre aux clercs by Herold are available to hear on youtube . Both are radio broadcasts from the 1950's but still give a good idea of whats in store .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Don Bucefalo was great fun , but if it wasn't so brilliantly staged and sung would we even remember in in 3 months .

Saw Don Bu only, and your question has a rhetorical feel to it if I read you correctly.
    I would go further. It was an entertaining evening for sure, and very well sung indeed. Orchestra also very neat. But the music was very slight, and well deserving its footnote-only position in operatic history (did a single person leave it thinking I must listen to that again some time). I fully applaud Wexford's mission to stage the you-probably-will-never-come-across-this-again. But feel they tend a little towards the too mediocre. There must be some better quality, even if rarely getting an airing, material in the archives for them to maintain the policy yet provide high quality music.

Can't comment because didn't go - partly a financial decision partly do I want to pay a lot of money to hear operas that aren't in the repertoire for good reason. I sometimes wonder if Wexfords Raison d'etre has less appeal now - they have uncovered some gems over the years but is the voyage of discovery running out of steam. I suggested about ten years ago to them that they should think about reviving some of their revivals - operas they have revived in the past but still didn't make it past the post in terms of getting their place in the regular repertoire but perhaps need a second boost, the idea fell on deaf ears. I might try going next year....

Can't comment because didn't go - partly a financial decision partly do I want to pay a lot of money to hear operas that aren't in the repertoire for good reason. I sometimes wonder if Wexfords Raison d'etre has less appeal now - they have uncovered some gems over the years but is the voyage of discovery running out of steam. I suggested about ten years ago to them that they should think about reviving some of their revivals - operas they have revived in the past but still didn't make it past the post in terms of getting their place in the regular repertoire but perhaps need a second boost, the idea fell on deaf ears. I might try going next year....

I agree with you on the finance side , it is becoming frighteningly expensive .

Main operas 100 euro each . scaled down opera 25 euro , lunchtime concert 15 euro.

I am off to the WNO in Birmingham at the end of the month and it is half the price for William Tells, Moses in Egypt and Carmen.

I may rethink next year myself.

I agree with you on the finance side , it is becoming frighteningly expensive .

Main operas 100 euro each . scaled down opera 25 euro , lunchtime concert 15 euro.

I am off to the WNO in Birmingham at the end of the month and it is half the price for William Tells, Moses in Egypt and Carmen.

I may rethink next year myself.

Exactly, WNO top prices about €65 for best seats in house; Will Tell and Moses are not performed very often what is a better deal, these or Wxfd. You can get a really decent seat in the ROH if you plan ahead for the same. I've just become a little cynical about Wxfd, for a lot of people its cheaper to fly to the UK for the likes of WNO or a night at the ROH than to traipse to Wxfd for a hit and miss opera.

Exactly, WNO top prices about €65 for best seats in house; Will Tell and Moses are not performed very often what is a better deal, these or Wxfd. You can get a really decent seat in the ROH if you plan ahead for the same. I've just become a little cynical about Wxfd, for a lot of people its cheaper to fly to the UK for the likes of WNO or a night at the ROH than to traipse to Wxfd for a hit and miss opera.

Indeed, I am getting to train down to the ROH's production of Idomeneo after Birmingham and I have a great seat in the circle for only 65 sterling.

Honorable mention should go to the mini-Cenerentola production. Set in 1940s America, adroit use was made of a cinema screen consisting of vertical slats whereby the cast could make their entrances by appearing initially as projected still images upon the screen which then "came to life" as they stepped through the slats.
    A particularly entertaining moment was provided by a male quartet clad in tuxedos and wielding broom handles as microphones transformed the closing bars of the aria into a wah-wah number!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Anyone else go to see La Traviata in the Bord Gáis this week? I went on Wednesday night, and the soprano was out of this world. The rest of the cast were superb too, but the soprano was phenomenal. I never heard any version of the opera like that, it was glorious. And I'm not even a soprano fan for the most part.

Alas I never got a programme. Does anyone know what her name is? I must find some recordings of hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

According to the Glyndebourne website, the soprano on December 5 and 9 is Natasha Jouhl.
    On the other night(s( it will be Irina Dubrovskaya.
    I haven't heard of either of them.

http://www.glyndebourne.com/whats-on/events/2014/la-traviata-2/

Happy New Year everyone .

Just a heads up to some treats coming to the cinema in January.

January Saturday 17th Omniplex New York Met The Merry Widow with Renee Fleming

January Thursday 29th Odeon & Omniplex ROH Andrea Chenier with Jonas Kaufman

January Saturday 31th Omniplex Les Contes D'Hoffman New York Met

Can't wait for Andrea Chenier .The full opera is on youtube from Paris with Marcelo Alvarez as Andrea - simply magnificent .

What a wonder youtube is !! http://youtu.be/RuVEQeI3rKg

and remember you need to keep your message folder empty to receive replies .

• Advertisement

Happy New Year everyone .

January Thursday 29th Odeon & Omniplex ROH Andrea Chenier with Jonas Kaufman

Hope you enjoyed it, It was fantastic to be at the ROH enjoying it. Jonas Kaufman has some voice!

Hope you enjoyed it, It was fantastic to be at the ROH enjoying it. Jonas Kaufman has some voice!

I really enjoyed it even if it was only the cinema . And yes he has a great voice .I have seen him live a few times now and he never disappoints .

And what a bonus to have Rosalind Plowright as Countess di Coigny ! I didn't bother reading the cast list so imagine my surprise and delight when I saw her.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Andrea Chenier is not performed more , it really is quite beautiful and has some stunning set pieces .

There is a brilliant complete version from Paris in 2010 on you tube with Marcello Alvarez and It is outstanding .One of the best staging I have come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jillymayr

aww the opera is my weakness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭The Green Pixie

I'm going to the RIAM production of Suor Angelica on Saturday. It's on at the Peacock Theatre at the Abbey.
    I'm really looking forward to it. I went to their production of Ormindo a couple of months ago and it was superb.

http://www.abbeytheatre.ie/whats_on/event/royal-irish-academy-of-music-and-the-lir-academy-suor-angelica/

What about Celine on the Late Late?

As far as I'm concerned she can stand alongside Ms Netrebko and Ms Fleming any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jer70s

The Moscow State Opera Presents Madama Butterfly

Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Dublin,

Fri 24 Apr 2015, 19:30

Seat location: section STALLS, row W, seats 26-27 (Middle, middle main stalls area).

Original face value €201 including booking charge, will sell for €150

Can't attend due to clashing engagement.

If anyone subscribes to Sky TV, they are cutting SkyArts from two channels to one. Please make your feelings known to sky. It will mean less opera on offer that is for sure.

garancafan wrote: »
    What about Celine on the Late Late?

As far as I'm concerned she can stand alongside Ms Netrebko and Ms Fleming any day!

She is good but not that good. Netrebko was outstandingly brilliant in the Boheme at Covent Garden this month. Best Boheme I've heard for 35 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

If anyone subscribes to Sky TV, they are cutting SkyArts from two channels to one. Please make your feelings known to sky. It will mean less opera on offer that is for sure.

What is a wonder to behold at the moment is Sky's advert trumpeting this as great news. Talk about spinning bad news into good.
    You are shutting down a channel !! Surely such deceit cant be moral ? Ad Men.....

• Advertisement

What is a wonder to behold at the moment is Sky's advert trumpeting this as great news. Talk about spinning bad news into good.
    You are shutting down a channel !! Surely such deceit cant be moral ? Ad Men.....

This is the whole point, it will mean endless Andre Rieue or whatever his name is and more historic performances of dire straights and all the ageing rockers Sky classify for Sky Arts. You are right the baffling news that this is meant to be great news for Arts lovers.....Quite baffling. Make your point to them.

Advertisement