Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

David McSavage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Comedy should have no limits as theres far too much reverence given to those in positions of power, McSavage is one of the few irish comics who did actual cutting satire. Having said that his sthick has had it's time and we need something new.

The Bertie era politicians had it far too easy with the likes of Rosenstock having routines more akin to bland platitudes than actual wit.

Oh Jesus Mario Rosenstock, I haven't laughed at one of his sketches since 1999. Oliver Callanis a bit better but is fairly cringey also. Conor Moore seems a very good impressionist but I find the whole mimicry thing quite tiresome at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Hate him with a passion. Isn't he tubridys cousin or something?

He is.

The amount of times this man nearly got his head kicked in with his on street busking / harassing of passers by in his earlier days. I'm sure the Atari Jaguar crowd on here will remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

myshirt wrote: »
    He is.

The amount of times this man nearly got his head kicked in with his on street busking / harassing of passers by in his earlier days. I'm sure the Atari Jaguar crowd on here will remember.

Didn't he slag all boards users in a video years ago basically calling them losers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Didn't he slag all boards users in a video years ago basically calling them losers?

He might just have a point. ;)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

He's clever.. Not sure if he likes doing standup but that's where he makes his money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Ill always admire The Savage Eye for giving the church a proper send up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Isn't he from a posh family and hence the only reason we have heard of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Well Savage Eye was the best comedy on RTÉ in years, so yeah I have a lot of time for him.

Ill always admire The Savage Eye for giving the church a proper send up.

I think he did a proper send up of irish gob****ery in general

antix80 wrote: »
    I think he did a proper send up of irish gob****ery in general

True but I have a particular hatred of the church and all it represents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Who gives a monkey's who his family are..... he is excellent, caught him there in limerick last year , he was very funny, pissing ourselves

that's the kind of gob****ery i was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Who gives a monkey's who his family are..... he is excellent, caught him there in limerick last year , he was very funny, pissing ourselves

Seen him twice in both Kilkenny and Thurles and thought he was absolutely brilliant. Other than the time I went to see Foil, Arms and Hog, i dont think ive ever laughed as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You probably didn’t “get it”, B.

Too cerebral for you. Stick to the Roy “Chubby” Brown stuff, you festering cockwomble.

Is that you David?

antix80 wrote: »
    that's the kind of gob****ery i was talking about.

Hating what the church has done to this country is being a gob****e? Grand so.

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah no, that character is based of a fairly well known publican in Dublin and it's pretty spot on tbf.

Was nicked from pat short - Andrews admitted that to short backstage one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah no, that character is based of a fairly well known publican in Dublin and it's pretty spot on tbf.

without giving too much away, what street in Dublin is that pub..?? ;)

Hate him with a passion. Isn't he tubridys cousin or something?

He is indeed

washman3 wrote: »
    without giving too much away, what street in Dublin is that pub..?? ;)

Andrews self admitted he stole that act from short

• Advertisement

Well aren’t you

Special !!

Andrews self admitted he stole that act from short

Ive never seen Pat Shortt play that type of role

Well aren’t you

Special !!

Be quite troll.

Ppl need to YouTube the dunbelivanles

99 percent of the act is what Andrews appropriated. .

The rural-gombeen-Oirish man is certainly not a Pat Shortt creation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Isn't he from a posh family and hence the only reason we have heard of him?

To be fair, I really wouldn’t be a fan one way or another but he started off busking on Wicklow St, Grafton St and around the place a number of years ago and he was pretty good, just off the cuff, interaction with the public, so he’s got where he is by working hard and putting in the hard yards...

The rural-gombeen-Oirish man is certainly not a Pat Shortt creation.

Keep diggin

Plenty watchin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Well Savage Eye was the best comedy on RTÉ in years, so yeah I have a lot of time for him.

And Paths to Freedom two best pieces of Irish comedy ever (imo).

McSavage has that on edge personality as part of his act , but you get a sense that is his actual personality too.

Remember him referring to his family/ father and basically he seemed to have a fairly troubled relationship with his family.

He seems to have been in dark places , and it certainly is used in a positive way to bring his comedy to a level nobody else goes to in Ireland.

He comes across as a bit of an arsehole, but I love him anyway.

And Paths to Freedom two best pieces of Irish comedy ever (imo).

McSavage has that on edge personality as part of his act , but you get a sense that is his actual personality too.

Remember him referring to his family/ father and basically he seemed to have a fairly troubled relationship with his family.

He seems to have been in dark places , and it certainly is used in a positive way to bring his comedy to a level nobody else goes to in Ireland.

He comes across as a bit of an arsehole, but I love him anyway.

His chat show appearances always seemed like just an extension of his sketch show routine, I dont think we have ever seen close to the real him, who knows though?

• Advertisement

Nonsense. Ive never seen Pat Shortt play a bar man character in any sketch, nor have i seen anything similar to Mick in any of his sketches

Advertisement