Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Led Bulbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Didnt have them in stock when I was up there.The chap in the lighting section said that electricians were coming in and buying up boxes of them.

Strange that, electricians would normally shy away from any sort of adapter.
    Standards must be dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

clivep wrote: »
    Are you sure your IKEA one is LED not CFL?

A 20 watt LED giving only 1080 lumen is awful but about right for a CFL. My GE 20watt CFL states 1152 lumen on the box.

100% certain - but they are from mid last year. At same time a 4w gu10 was 220 lumens - a 5w gu10 is now ave. 400 lumens.

I wouldn't expect Aldi are selling latest led technology, so.lumens seem to be right for led at that price

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

delahuntv wrote: »
    100% certain - but they are from mid last year. At same time a 4w gu10 was 220 lumens - a 5w gu10 is now ave. 400 lumens.

Yes, LED lighting technology has advanced at an incredible rate over the last year.

I replaced all the lights in my house with LED's (mostly GU10's and some bulbs) two months ago and WOW, they are amazing.

Never mind them be vastly superior to CFL's, they are much better then even traditional light bulbs. Instant on, very bright, excellent colour, less irritating light, will only need to be replaced every 20 years, never mind the electricity savings that pay for them in just 6 months!

Quality LED lights are definitely ready for prime time now and I highly recommend them to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

dodzy wrote: »
    You have a CFL, not an LED.

No. It's definitely an LED. One of the more powerful ones though. The only issue I find with the LED bulbs is certain cameras produce a strobing effect if they are near some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

bk wrote: »
    Yes, LED lighting technology has advanced at an incredible rate over the last year.

I replaced all the lights in my house with LED's (mostly GU10's and some bulbs) two months ago and WOW, they are amazing.

Never mind them be vastly superior to CFL's, they are much better then even traditional light bulbs. Instant on, very bright, excellent colour, less irritating light, will only need to be replaced every 20 years, never mind the electricity savings that pay for them in just 6 months!

Quality LED lights are definitely ready for prime time now and I highly recommend them to everyone.
    Yes LED has definitely come on recently, it's about time. CFL has had its day and Looks like most are producing or cloning CREE technology and prices coming down at last, but it's very hard to be sure of what you are getting.
    I picked up a CFL in Asia 10 years ago and it was vastly superior to anything available here at the time or since. Same goes for LED, most of what I've seen is overpriced and waste of money. Slowly starting to see better stuff available but not in the big stores yet.
    I'm guessing you have recessed lighting if you are using mostly gu10
    Seem to be loads available but mostly spot.
    Standard 100 w bulb equivalent are harder to find. I did get some decent BC bulbs from an electrical wholesaler recently which were good value at €5 and elsewhere some outdoor floods for under 20
    For me though, anything under 1000lm is of very limited use.

Came across this, worth noting, there's a reason for CE marking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

wil wrote: »
    I'm guessing you have recessed lighting if you are using mostly gu10
    Seem to be loads available but mostly spot.

I originally had lots of 50Watt MR16's. They were a complete pain in the ass.

Needed to be replaced constantly, at least once a year, plus the damn transformers would go constantly and were a pain to replace. MR16's were expensive and hard to get.

Switched to these bad boys:

http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/233-kanlux-7w-gu10-tedi.html#/23-color-warm_white

7 Watt, 120degree, but not dimmable.

For the dimmer in the living room I got these:

http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/259-kanlux-cob7w-gu10.html

Fantastic light, WAY brighter then the MR16's they replaced. To be honest, I could easily have gotten away with the 5watt models instead. My neighbour did that and they were still brighter then the MR16's!!

I also got these bulbs for a few rooms and they are excellent too:

http://www.futureled.ie/globe-and-candle-/271-new-gevo-max-smd-105w-e27-b22-warm-white.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Plus LEDs dont have Mercury in them like CFLs(although the levels of Mercury in the new CFLs is pretty small). My problem with CFLs are they have gone from very energy efficient and long lasting, to lesser qualities eg shorter product life and less efficient. Manufactures must have been losing out on their bulbs last 10 years.

Eurosales in Glasnevin have a great Phillips LED collection. They arent the cheapest, but they appear to be excellent quality(I have a few of their LEDs and they are good). The Phillips ones are about 25% of their price from 2/3 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Plus LEDs dont have Mercury in them like CFLs(although the levels of Mercury in the new CFLs is pretty small). My problem with CFLs are they have gone from very energy efficient and long lasting, to lesser qualities eg shorter product life and less efficient. Manufactures must have been losing out on their bulbs last 10 years.

Eurosales in Glasnevin have a great Phillips LED collection. They arent the cheapest, but they appear to be excellent quality(I have a few of their LEDs and they are good). The Phillips ones are about 25% of their price from 2/3 years ago

The main issue for joe public with CFLs is their life is slashed in enclosed fixtures, frequent switching applications such as bathroom, hallway. And in socket up installations their life can be less than a third of the quoted life. In a socket up enclosed fixture e.g. bathroom globe they can be toast in a matter of hours. The average Irish installation won't see anywhere near the quoted life.

LEDs are going to suffer similar heat related lifespan issues as CFLs in enclosures especially things like GU10s in fire rated enclosures but if not completely abused they should at least on average pay for themselves several times over before they fail and by then a more efficient, higher CRI version should be available.

Now if only you could get a reasonably priced LED with good colour rendering!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The average Irish installation won't see anywhere near the quoted life.

I'd have thought that'd apply to pretty much any form of bulb though - from incandescent through all the newer types. I've seen plenty of incandescents in mostly enclosed spotlight fittings and similarly problematic setups.

The public never really focused on expected life of incandescents because they were so cheap - its only become an issue with newer types. The ESB heavily promoting CFLs in the mid to late 1990s on the basis of their lifespan rather than energy savings (electricity being rather cheap then) probably hasn't helped!

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I'd have thought that'd apply to pretty much any form of bulb though - from incandescent through all the newer types. I've seen plenty of incandescents in mostly enclosed spotlight fittings and similarly problematic setups.

Yup I was replacing my damn MR16 spots every 6 to 12 months, it was a real pain in the ass.

Even if I only get 5 years, instead of 20 out of my new GU10 LED spots, that would still be a big improvement and much easier.
    L1011 wrote: »
    The public never really focused on expected life of incandescents because they were so cheap - its only become an issue with newer types. The ESB heavily promoting CFLs in the mid to late 1990s on the basis of their lifespan rather than energy savings (electricity being rather cheap then) probably hasn't helped!

Actually there are two main areas where LED's are expected to continue to improve:

- Lumen per watt,i.e. brighter at a lower wattage
    - Price

LED's are already cheap enough that they will pay for themselves with electricity savings over 6 to 12 months, but they are still relatively expensive upfront compared to incandescent and that can be an issue for many people.

However LED's are expected to continue to drop in price until they equal the upfront cost of incandescent lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Sully wrote:
    Moving to Carlow forum, you might get more responses there!

For those interested. I was in IKEA yesterday and they had plenty of the BC to ES adapters, they also had SBC to SES.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Bought 8 e14's in aldi they are indeed cfl slow to light up ,7w are big n ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Missed this thread and now need 4 bulbs around house after another Philips genie 11w gone.
    Keeping in simple, what's the best value bulbs to get right now? Energy saving, life span and price important.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Missed this thread and now need 4 bulbs around house after another Philips genie 11w gone.
    Keeping in simple, what's the best value bulbs to get right now? Energy saving, life span and price important.
    Thanks

I too would like to know this

Thanks
    I too would like to know this

How long is a piece of string?

It completely depends on what type of bulb (GU10, MR6, candle bulb, standard bulbs, etc.), dimmable or not, what type of light, how bright, etc.?

I would in general go with LED's.

Ikea has a great range of decent LED lights of all different bulb types.

Online, I used futureled.ie to replace all my bulbs and I'm super happy with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

How long is a piece of string?

It completely depends on what type of bulb (GU10, MR6, candle bulb, standard bulbs, etc.), dimmable or not, what type of light, how bright, etc.?

I would in general go with LED's.

Ikea has a great range of decent LED lights of all different bulb types.

Online, I used futureled.ie to replace all my bulbs and I'm super happy with them.

Ikea GU10 dimmable are great and only €7 each. No hassle with returns or exchanges which cannot be said for other retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ikea GU10 dimmable are great and only €7 each. No hassle with returns or exchanges which cannot be said for other retailers.
    Have you used these with a dimmer? i bought a few and are using them with a dimmer specifically for LEDs but still get a buzzing sound off them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Scruff wrote: »
    Have you used these with a dimmer? i bought a few and are using them with a dimmer specifically for LEDs but still get a buzzing sound off them...

No dimmer however I think the buzzing sound can be hit and miss.

I use this one with a LED specific dimmer and no buzz that I can hear:

http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/259-kanlux-cob7w-gu10.html#/59-color-warm_white_dimmable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I use this one with a LED specific dimmer and no buzz that I can hear:

http://www.futureled.ie/gu10-bulbs/259-kanlux-cob7w-gu10.html#/59-color-warm_white_dimmable
    was looking at that, looks like a contender. Any idea what the colour temp and CRI is?

was looking at that, looks like a contender. Any idea what the colour temp and CRI is?

For the warm white model I have:
    Temp: 2700-3200
    CRI: >= 80 RA

http://www.kanlux.pl/download/kartaen/22231.pdf

I have to say personally very happy with it in my living room.

These ones on amazon look good value. I've bayonet screw. They'll do won't they?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014H651HY?psc=1

These ones on amazon look good value. I've bayonet screw. They'll do won't they?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B014H651HY?psc=1

No, these probably aren't what you want.

They are: Day White, 6000K

That means they will be a very clinical almost blue "white" colour, like what you would get in an old hospital or office.

Traditional bulbs that most people are use to and want are Warm White, about 2700 to 3200k.

Also it is a pretty weak light at just 500lm. Is it to replace just a lamp or for a room main light? Probably ok for a lamp, but not powerful enough for a main room light, which are normally minimum 60w up to 100w equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Do for what ? 6000 k are an extremely cold light spectrum those will have lots of blue will hardly any red spectrum everything will look washed out .

OK. I'll look again tomorrow. They are for main lights in a room. Appreciate those remarks. I was gonna buy them last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Looks like the GU10 LED in aldi from next Thursday
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-27-sep/products-detail-page/ps/p/led-gu10-big-pack/

Any opinions on whether these will be any good for a kitchen where we currently have 50w osrams ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tommycahir wrote: »
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sun-27-sep/products-detail-page/ps/p/led-gu10-big-pack/

Any opinions on whether these will be any good for a kitchen where we currently have 50w osrams ?
    Looks good to me. I have 4.5W philips in the kitchen they are also 345lumen and 2700K. My fitting takes 4 bulbs.

So the aldis are slightly less efficient at 5W with same lumens. The aldi page does not list the colour, but if you look at the box it seems they are low on the scale, i.e. down around 2700K and not high up which is not wanted by most in kitchens.

my philips ones were about €6.50 each which was a good price. Certainly seems worth a punt. I would double check the K value in the shop. The philips I have are nicely diffused, this could be another issue to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

tommycahir wrote: »

Doesn't say whether they're dimmable or not. Anyone know if they are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Prices finally coming, they've been an outrageous rip off for years.

Advertisement