Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I watched that new trailer and I still can't understand what are people excited about. looks like soulless generic space shooter with nothing unique in it. Reminds me of borderlands, which tries to put on a grown up serious face.
    Borderlands at least is funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Borderlands without "Butt Stallion" jokes? I thought that was, like, the whole point of Borderlands 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I didn't get the Borderland games, they just felt like single player MMO's with the grinding to get anywhere in it

Skerries wrote: »
    I didn't get the Borderland games, they just felt like single player MMO's with the grinding to get anywhere in it

Well, that's how this looks to me too, but with painfully generic Sci-Fi theme. At least borderlands had humour and unique universe /art style.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Borderlands 2 was funny?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Borderlands 2 was funny?
    Yes, now hush :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It looks very... ordinary I think is the word I want. Nothing there that hasn't been seen a hundred times before.

For all that I enjoyed Halo (and I really did, I've easily sunk several hundred hours into it in its various guises over the years), it was a very limited game, but Bungie delivered a very tight and polished experience within those tight limitations. Local LAN + Splitscreen Multiplayer is the main reason I played Halo (20 people in a house playing one game is so much fun), but of course local multiplayer is seen as the anti-christ for some reason these days which is a real shame. I thought the story was just OK - I've read good sci-fi and Halo wasn't it, but it wasn't terrible either.

Based on what I've seen of this and what the Kotaku journalist was saying, I'm expecting more of the same which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it might be a bland thing ;) Given the choices in this sort of game are extremely limited for PS4 owners (Killzone really is the only other sci-fi pewpew I believe?), it'll do well for them because it's a seller's market. There's no point in them releasing this on PC, there are too many other games that it has to compete against and that's the sort of thing that exposes the cracks really quickly.

But hey, good luck to them with it, I've had a whole heap of fun with Bungie's offerings in the past and I hope anyone who buys this gets just as much fun out of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm a sucker for anything sci-fi, so i'll definitely give it a go (assuming i have a next gen console by September).

If nothing else, i'll give it a go to listen to Martin O'Donnell's music (i know he's been sacked, but apparently he already completed the music).

Borderlands 2 was funny?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Horses for courses. Recycling internet memes isn't my idea of funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Unisaur 64

As much as I'm looking forward to this game, yesterday's lifting of the media embargo was very anti-climactic. I suspect that Bungie is holding their cards close to their chest until E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Borderlands gameplay
    Halo controls and aesthetic
    MMO abilities and MP functionality
    No extra subscriptions required

Yeah, I'll be buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Horses for courses. Recycling internet memes isn't my idea of funny.

Sure, it recycled jokes and didn't do anything hugely different from its predecessor, but it was extremely honest about it. There's no way you could be mistaken that you were somehow going to be playing a sci-fi epic full of deep meaningful story. It was immature, gleefully shallow humor that everyone on the internet already understood, and it made no pretense at being anything else. It delivered exactly what it advertised, much like Snakes On A Plane.

Destiny appears to be more or less the same game, only wrapped up in this big hyped-up space opera promise. Unless there's something seriously special in there that bungie have yet to unveil, it's going to fall short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Destiny was overly ambitious from the get go , Bungie track record will speak for itself as a sci fi Fps shooter whether be anything more or less will speak for itself when we get closer to release date I was still interested in Destiny either way.

Destiny was overly ambitious from the get go , Bungie track record will speak for itself as a sci fi Fps shooter whether be anything more or less will speak for itself when we get closer to release date I was still interested in Destiny either way.

I think it's going to be one of those hyped games, that did not delivered anything new or interesting, but still will be defended by hardcore bungy fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think it'll be a slightly above middle-of-the-road sci-fi shooter, that while not being as groundbreaking as it first promised will pique my interest for a few weeks, deliver some great mp co-op action and ultimately justify it's price.

I'm not incredibly hyped for it, but looking forward to it all the same.

When is the beta arriving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I think it's going to be one of those hyped games, that did not delivered anything new or interesting, but still will be defended by hardcore bungy fans.

I'm one of those, I can see why people wouldnt be interested in it, but I think its gonna be great, Ive watched that trailer 3 times now, I look forward to playing this game with my 2 boys more than anything else.... the way we do Halo

And this time on PS4.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Huge leak last night as someone started streaming the Alpha - Live from PlayStation network....

Apparently an artist for Ubisoft who is on the alpha... (I would say he is not working there anymore as we speak!)

http://kotaku.com/leaked-videos-show-what-destiny-looks-like-on-the-ps4-1587480383

About an hours worth of footage in total, and being alpha a few unfinished bits were to be seen, poor AI in some parts , and some huge spoiler's - I couldn't help but watch it all.... :)

Nice to see Peter Dinkalege (the dwarf in GOT) being your guide in the game...

The music seems incredible, probably Marty's last Bungie music.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

They kinda need to get more information out at E3. about exactly what this game is trying to be.

is it a co-op shooter, mmorpg? and for the love of jebus, a different level to old russia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Free alpha version on the PS4 only from this Thursday till Sunday.

You have till midnight today to sign up www.greatnessawaits.com/destiny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Do you need PS plus to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yeah you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

My god man... Get a ps+ sub this instant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

I was under the impression you didn't need to register for the alpha, but looks like you do. You can do it here.

Edit: Interestingly, there are people live streaming it on Live from Playstation, so perhaps it has already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Alpha is up for the press at E3 and starts tomorrow for 3 days for us mortal gamers.

I got my Beta access today so just waiting for the download code for some time in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Anyone know what is in the alpha, game mode wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Anyone know what is in the alpha, game mode wise.

They said it was limited but still had alot of stuff. You could level up to level 8 max. The beta is said to have alot more content than the alpha though. Can't remember the games modes. Think one was like conquest mode in BF. Some maps and mode have vehicles in them while some are infantry only. That's what I got from the IGN live demo last night real quick. Looked good though, alot better than I was giving it credit for at the Sony show. It has a bit of an MMO element to it and something like PS Home for a lobby social system.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/10/e3-2014-a-date-with-destiny

• Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got an email from Sony to register for the Alpha. Why the hell not, never took part in an Alpha or Beta before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just got an email from Sony to register for the Alpha. Why the hell not, never took part in an Alpha or Beta before.

A beta is like playing the game at launch, only with more bugs and less content. An alpha is like playing a beta only with no content and all the bugs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement