Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I found the DLC for the PS3 to be no issue. Wasnt a massive fan of Dead Money but otherwise no complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And this is set 20 odd years after 3? So that young boy would be an adult now. Interesting... :)

I think that could be plausible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I played both FO3 and New Vegas on the 360, even though I also own both for PC. Never had any problems or issues to be honest, apart from the very odd freeze with New Vegas, but I would have easily put in 200 hours between them. Two of the best games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Teaser site has changed again.

Now there's text reading;
    ZL QRNE FVFGRE. V'Z URNQVAT GB GUR VAFGVGHGR. TBQ XABJF JUNG UNCCRARQ GB GUVF CYNPR ABJ. GUVF BYQ ONFGNEQ JVYY URYC HF. UR ZHFG URYC HF. --0321--

All too clear now.... yeah right!

Not sure if the morse code has changed again too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It mentions someone going to get help from someone in The Institute, which is MIT is the Fallout future world. So if it's true, looks like Boston will be the setting.

• Advertisement

To be more specific...
    "ZL QRNE FVFGRE. V'Z URNQVAT GB GUR VAFGVGHGR. TBQ XABJF JUNG UNCCRARQ GB GUVF CYNPR ABJ. GUVF BYQ ONFGNEQ JVYY URYC HF. UR ZHFG URYC HF. --0321--" which when translated comes out to be "MY DEAR SISTER. I'M HEADING TO THE INSTITUTE. GOD KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE NOW. THIS OLD BASTARD WILL HELP US. HE MUST HELP US. --0321--

The morse is the exact same as last night if anyone is wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Maybe it's Fallout out for Android and iOS :pac:

Maybe Gamebryo IS being replaced.... by the Void engine. It says it's powered by id Tech, which makes sense given who owns id now. But Carmack previously claimed id Tech 5 wasn't suited to open world type games like Skyrim and Fallout. So maybe this is a heavily modified version of it, or a brand new engine altogether.

Either way, hopefully it does mean Gamebryo is gone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Either way, hopefully it does mean Gamebryo is gone.

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the bad press around Gamebryo. Having such a vast and persistant world packed to the gills with objects and NPCs and making it work to such a degree that there were relatively few bugs (when you consider them against what did work) was nothing short of outstanding.

I know things must progress and improve but Gamebryo served me very well indeed overall - and I've played on Xbox and PC at great length - probably over 1000 hours of my life all in.

• Advertisement

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand the bad press around Gamebryo. Having such a vast and persistant world packed to the gills with objects and NPCs and making it work to such a degree that there were relatively few bugs (when you consider them against what did work) was nothing short of outstanding.

I know things must progress and improve but Gamebryo served me very well indeed overall - and I've played on Xbox and PC at great length - probably over 1000 hours of my life all in.

Wanting Gamebryo to be replaced by something newer/better doesn't mean I'm giving it bad press.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well said.

I've found the engine to be grand and well suited to the games that employ it.

As far as bugs are concerned, I find it remarkable that there aren't more bugs in these games. I used to work in testing and, christ, I swear testing a game like Oblivion/Fallout would be a nightmare.

I'd hate to have to write the text plans for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Play fallout and skyrim on ps3 and ye won't be praising the engine, whether the hardware was hard to code for ir not. I have zero problems gta v, red dead or any other huge open world games.

Anyway, the morse code sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

had one issue in all my Elder/Fallout playing and that was a door closed and wouldnt open. So i used the console and walked tru it.

never had an issue with anything else i dont think.

:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Play fallout and skyrim on ps3 and ye won't be praising the engine, whether the hardware was hard to code for ir not. I have zero problems gta v, red dead or any other huge open world games.

Gta 5 and red dead are different animals. Entire city resets every time you reload. You move a cup 5 feet in Skyrim and come back a hundred hours and a war against dragons later and there she is, just where you left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell I'd play those games on a console, not when there's a PC in the room.

Someone on reddit is determined to piss in our collective cornflakes.
    First off let me say that I enjoy ARGs. I'd love for this to be real. But it isn't. You may want to believe it is real because of confirmation bias. If you're already looking for evidence that Fallout 4 is coming, that is what you are going to see. It is reaffirming to believe that you have secret, insider information through this site. It makes you feel good to believe in this. But that doesn't make it true.
    The domain is registered through GoDaddy, which ZeniMax has never once used.
    WHOIS info can be faked by anyone. It simply isn't proof.
    The hosting company is in Poland. All of ZeniMax's sites are hosted in the US.
    The initial morse code had the date in a European format. Bethesda and Zenimax have always used US dates.
    The site was posted to Reddit before anywhere else, not the Fallout fansites that Bethesda supports.
    The moment that Reddit pointed out how the date format was wrong, the page was updated with a comment that the date format was European. Then later, the morse code audio was replaced with one with the American date. Are you going to tell me that ZeniMax as a global publisher doesn't understand how dates work?
    This is the most amateur hour ARG I've ever seen in my life. And I love finding ARGs and participating in them, so I've seen quite a few. Finding black text on a black background isn't master sleuthing.
    The coding style of the pages doesn't match the coding style of any Bethesda/ZeniMax site. Bethesda uses compressed HTML with no spaces.
    All Bethesda/ZeniMax websites seem to be coded by the same team. They have a consistent naming scheme for their files and directory structure.
    Every single Bethesda/ZeniMax site has Mozilla specific CSS. This site doesn't.
    And they run the same javascript on every one of their sites.
    <script>
    var safesites = ["arkane-studios.com","bethblog.com","bethsoft.com","brinkt hegame.com","dishonored.com","elderscrolls.com","e lderscrollsonline.com","huntedthegame.com","idsoft ware.com","mudduckgames.com","quakecon.org","rage. com","roguewarrior.com","vir2l.com","wolfenstein.c om","zenimax.com","zenimaxonline.com","creationkit .com","http:\/\/bethsoft.com\/en-us","bsw_cms_asset"];
    </script>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wel either way fallout 4 is coming at some point. the delay just gives more people time to get pc's together and play stalker - shadow of chernobyl

Gta 5 and red dead are different animals. Entire city resets every time you reload. You move a cup 5 feet in Skyrim and come back a hundred hours and a war against dragons later and there she is, just where you left it.

Ah yeah, just making the point the others played fine as someone said they gave them trouble on the ps4.

You lucky b@stard! If I knocked a cup over in Fallout or Skyrim, I just knew the memory would go mental and cause glitches. I went into houses avoiding guards but also dodging moveable objects.:)

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, just making the point the others played fine as someone said they gave them trouble on the ps4.

You lucky b@stard! If I knocked a cup over in Fallout or Skyrim, I just knew the memory would go mental and cause glitches. I went into houses avoiding guards but also dodging moveable objects.:)

Never had a problem on PC. Except for Esbern and his damn door in Skyrim.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Never had a problem on PC. Except for Esbern and his damn door in Skyrim.

Nah, the big problems were on PS3, The Skyrim/Fallout engine was notorious on PS3. Aparently if you moved any world objects, the memory would go into hyperdrive and cause glitches.

The site has been updated now, and has a visible countdown. Teaser trailer in 6 days hopefully?
    Nuclear winter is coming in 6days 15h 25m 49s

There was also mention of Quabbin Reservoir at some point, which is in Boston as well. Link below is a very up to date Google doc about the most recent developments.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pJLwd0osKpnp6kEogWh6KAZZiM0Rh-odwWCDc3VEMVE/preview?pli=1&sle=true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I installed and started up NV last night because of this thread ! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Not sure if posted but theres an age check in the source for the page for when the "trailer" goes live. If it were a fake like the redditor suggested previously, the person has gone into a hell of a lot of detail with it.
    if (checkCookie != -1) {
    var start = checkCookie + 19;
    var end = getcookies.indexOf(";",start);
    if (end==-1) end = getcookies.length;
    var userAge = getcookies.substring(start,end);
    userAge = unescape(userAge);
    var age = new Date(userAge);

//age check, if false, redirect

if (ageVerify(age)){
    var referrer = readCookie('age_check_referrer');

if(referrer !== null) {
    eraseCookie('age_check_referrer');
    location.replace(referrer);
    } else {
    location.replace("country.html");
    }
    } else {
    location.replace("noentry.html");
    }
    Etc etc etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

As speculation has really has spiraled out of all control at this point, I'm starting to think that Zenimax would surely have denied it by now if it was a fake.

Mainly because if is a fake, there will be one hell of a backlash heading their way in a just under a week time for saying nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I never finished NV, I got very close to the end but i couldn't decide how I wanted to end it so I went off doing side quests and I must have got distracted by another game then.

Yeah. i'd be fairly confident this is real now. I guess we'll know for sure in 6 days time though.

ron-paul.gif

• Advertisement

More new Morse.

CQ/CQ/CQ/BST/IS/GONE/II/BST/IS/GONE/N/HPE/FREQ/3450/RT/GB/AMERICA

Calling all stations, Calling all stations, Calling all stations. Boston is gone, I repeat, Boston is gone. No Hope. Frequency 3450khz reply. GB (God Bless/good bye?) America.

Advertisement