Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Rumours of 4 taking place in a European city. London? Paris? Rome?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

folan wrote: »
    Waterford?

YES PLEASE

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmm, I dunno, I associate Fallout games with that satirical faux-1950s-Americana it does so well; that wouldn't exist in a Fallout set in Europe & I wouldn't know what you'd replace it with ...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmm, I dunno, I associate Fallout games with that satirical faux-1950s-Americana it does so well; that wouldn't exist in a Fallout set in Europe & I wouldn't know what you'd replace it with ...

When you mention it, yea the American part sets the scene.. You can't really use that music in a europe based game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The blocking and attacking just seems so... one directional. Parrying is not reliable in them and there's not even any proper way to dodge, so when facing tougher enemies it just comes down to numbers... which is not a good thing - I guess that's where they could learn from Dark Souls since it's possible to beat anything in that game at any level if you REALLY put your mind to it... the fact that it's possible is just a great thing in my opinion - it makes you feel that there's no place where you're like "I shouldn't be here yet, have to grind," well, you might feel that tbh, but you know it's because of your skill level and not because it's impossible.

I think Bethesda games are really where rpg gamers and action gamers collide in some ways. The idea that from level 1 I can theoretically go anywhere really goes against everything I want from an rpg. I want the satisfaction of getting past tough enemies because I have improved my character.

While the combat needs improving I don't want it changed so much that it's all about the finger twitch. The other thing they need to work on is giving their npcs a bit more depth and reactivity. If I have become leader of 5 factions and members of those factions just mention arrows and knees then it all feels a tad shallow.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

folan wrote: »
    Waterford?

Cork city boi :-D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I liked the fact you had to wander around - the fast travel system alleviates the need for horses/motors.

These games are at their best when you're walking from A to B and end up coming across C, D, E and Z.
    I get almost magpie like when I play them, constantly getting distracted by some new and shiny side-quest.

Not that that's a bad thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

One part I loved of walking between cities was trying to do everything as the crow flies.

Route A) Follow this winding road straight to rivet city takes 10 mins minimal enemies encountered
    Route B) Go straight through these ruins, over this mountain and swim through that nuclear waste; takes 55 mins and three restarts, all your plasma ammo, three stimpaks and 12 radaway but totally worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Skyrim and Fallout 3, in addition to Mass Effect 2, are perhaps my favorite games of last generation. I absolutely adored both games.

The idea of Fallout 4 makes me excited in my special place.

It has to be set in America though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Kiith wrote: »
    Dark Souls did it better then either of those games. I know it's 3rd person, but still.

3RD person kills the immersion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Tony EH wrote: »
    3RD person kills the immersion.

Nothing scarier than them moments in the hills in oblivion, or indeed the desolate plains of the wasteland where you're fighting a regular old imp or bandit or jailer guy from FO then in your peripheral you catch a glimpse of A ****ING DAEDRA OR SUPERMUTANT OR SOMESHIT AHHHHHHHHH

Yeh, I hate that over the shoulder look of a lot of games.

I don't know why games that choose that look cannot have a switch between the views.

1st person draws you in so much better.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

For cover-based shooting 3rd person is a must. Frustrating enough with be able to see your surroundings. Would be next to impossible if they were 1st person.

I always played the new Fallouts/Elder Scrolls in 1st person though.

I'm not that big a fan of CB shooters, I have to say. Gets old real quick.

I'm not that big a fan of CB shooters, I have to say. Gets old real quick.

Some of them have been memorable. Mass Effect goes down as a classic. The cover-based shooting was done very well. Fluid and non-stick. Gears worked too but was a little more repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,176 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I loved 3 and NV but NV was defo an improvement for me.

I just hope they fix the freezing. Skyrim (once patched) worked well for me. F4 in the same engine should be okay in that regard so, I went back to play the NV DLC a few months back (on PS3) and huge swathes of it are absolutely unplayable due to the game crawling at 1fps - really shouldn't have been allowed to be released.

Some of them have been memorable. Mass Effect goes down as a classic. The cover-based shooting was done very well. Fluid and non-stick. Gears worked too but was a little more repetitive.

Mass Effect is the only one I'd grade, TBH. But even then I was terribly bored of the combat sections. It was the story and my choices within the story that made the game for me.

The combat was meh.

It became more of an annoyance than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Mass Effect is the only one I'd grade, TBH. But even then I was terribly bored of the combat sections. It was the story and my choices within the story that made the game for me.

The combat was meh.

It became more of an annoyance than anything else.

The combat was a weak point. I gave up on gears of war and sepc ops the line. I just got so frustrated with the cover based fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

With all the next gen consoles out surely they'll use a new engine for this game?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine they'll run with the Skyrim engine with HD textures and other improvements in shadows, AA and the like.

This has likely been in development for some time so wouldn't expect an entirely new engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Deleted my last post as I was wrong. It's numbers and periods alright, but they just spell out the date that the onscreen timer is counting down to (given in both DD.MM.YY and MM.DD.YY format);

And I'm guessing this is old news already and has probably been confirmed in this thread days ago. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The morse code is the date. 11-12-13 apparently.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In 2010 wasn't that around the same date skyrim was announced :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, 11-11-11. They seem to like dates like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

2299 is 18 years after New Vegas, must have got one of those hookers preggers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I got a dlc bundle for NV and made the mistake of playing the one where you wake up with the collar on. It was a pain as you have speakers that blow up the collar, minimum ammo and crappy weapons. I need to go back and check the other dlc but that one put me off.
    That one is definitely the worst of the DLC, but honestly I wasn't all that impressed by any of NV DLC. Not that all of the DLC for 3 was that great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pushtrak wrote: »
    That one is definitely the worst of the DLC, but honestly I wasn't all that impressed by any of NV DLC. Not that all of the DLC for 3 was that great.

I thought Old World Blues was excellent. The rest were so-so though (mind you I never actually finished the Lonesome Road).

Advertisement