Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2017, 21:59   #46

I've always been a bit confused by tethering... does that include using the mobile wifi hotspot?
Advertisement
19-03-2017, 22:03   #47
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCAccidental View Post
I've always been a bit confused by tethering... does that include using the mobile wifi hotspot?
Yes, that is wireless tethering.
Thanks from:
20-03-2017, 13:46   #48
biebiebie

So for someone with a different payg provider, what are the timeliness involved?
How much time off the grid can one expect?
This is for someone that doesn't fit the criteria (!)

Eg

1. Request new VF sim online
1a Set port date/time when requesting
2 Receive SIM and wait for port
3 Do Facebook prep!
4 Request X plan via Facebook verification
5 Wait and pray!
6 Hopefully get verification

So how much time can one expect on the VF network between steps 2 and 6?
I presume during this timeframe you're on payg with no data plan in place?

What's the failure \ success rate for this process...I'm trying to gauge if it's worth the hassle!
20-03-2017, 17:30   #49
givecredit

Quote:
Originally Posted by biebiebie View Post
So for someone with a different payg provider, what are the timeliness involved?

Eg

3 Do Facebook prep!
5 Wait and pray!

What's the failure \ success rate for this process...I'm trying to gauge if it's worth the hassle!
You can do the Facebook verification now. If you are asked to insert your mobile number, you are qualifying for plan. When you know you will qualify then proceed with sim, porting etc. I called into Vodafone store, bought sim and 20 credit, went home and did rest via PC. Up and running in no time. Sim was 10 euro but you get this back plus 50 cent when you register on Vodafone.ie
20-03-2017, 18:20   #50
Sir Dosser

Quote:

Eg

3 Do Facebook prep!
5 Wait and pray!

Do step 3 and 4 first. Then if it validates you do the rest!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2017, 18:28   #51
biebiebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJim View Post
Do step 3 and 4 first. Then if it validates you do the rest!
Thanks Jim.

But you have to order SIM as a port, and you need to enter all the porting info when you order the sim.

So how can you avoid the actual porting step until after you know you've been successful?
20-03-2017, 20:42   #52
Sir Dosser

Quote:
Thanks Jim.

But you have to order SIM as a port, and you need to enter all the porting info when you order the sim.

So how can you avoid the actual porting step until after you know you've been successful?
The number doesn't have to be on vodafone for them to verify you. So you can get it sent to your number while you are still on another network. I used a meteor number, not even the same one I ported in.
21-03-2017, 00:51   #53
biebiebie

Interesting snippet from the terms and conditions...

Vodafone reserves the right at its absolute discretion to modify this Offer and to open this Offer to other individuals as and when Vodafone see fit.

So potentially they'll widen the offer over time.
21-03-2017, 10:32   #54
Bob24

Quote:
Thanks Jim.

The Vodafone validation page will still send you a verification text message if your Facebook account is accepted, even if your current network isn't vodafone. It will fail at the next step and not actually activate the offer, but it is a way to check that your Facebook profile is acceptable before ordering a SIM (and once you have the Vodafone thing you have to go through the verification thing again, and that time it will complete to the end).

One other piece of advice for people ordering a SIM with their previous number to be ported on it: it might be a good idea to choose a porting date 1 or 2 days later than the earliest one offered by Vodafone's website. I had picked Monday as my porting day as this is what the website had offered me when I ordered the SIM and they indeed ported my number yesterday ... even though I hadn't received my new Vodafone sim, meaning I had no more service from my previous network and was unable to use Vodafone. In the end the SIM arrived this morning and I was only offline for about 18 hours so it wasn't a huge deal, but if the phone was critical to me or the wait for the sim had been one more day I would have started to get annoyed.

Edit: and btw if anyone would like to know: there is no free tethering on iOS devices as when you put in the VF simcard the phone won't let you view or amend APN settings.

Last edited by Bob24; 21-03-2017 at 14:30.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2017, 11:03   #55
Captain Morgan

This post has been deleted.
Thanks from:
21-03-2017, 11:07   #56
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
This post has been deleted.
Thanks this is good to know. But strange as the T&Cs mention: "The 20GB data allowance can be used to access the internet via the below Access Point Networks only: wap.vodafone.ie & live.vodafone.com. Tethering over the HS APN or any other use of the HS APN will incur OOB charges."

Maybe for some reason the phone is using another APN for tethering - we can't even check as the settings are hidden.
21-03-2017, 12:05   #57
homingbird

Doesn't ID Mobile Trump this offer with a better call package & large 30gb 4G data for 15 euro a month which you keep to buy more talktime.
https://www.idmobile.ie/
21-03-2017, 12:12   #58
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by homingbird View Post
Doesn't ID Mobile Trump this offer with a better call package & large 30gb 4G data for 15 euro a month which you keep to buy more talktime.
Yes and Three also has a better deal if you only look at the price and the call/text/data allowance you get for it.

Poeple who move to the Vodafone offer will do it because of the better network coverage and faster data speeds.

Last edited by Bob24; 21-03-2017 at 14:14.
21-03-2017, 12:16   #59
biebiebie

Quote:
That's what I'm currently on.
I live in the city suburbs and rarely find iD 4G over 1 to 2 bars, so I dread to think what it's like elsewhere.
Other than that I don't currently have any issues.
Tethering is allowed AFAIK.

I'm thinking that the VF network might offer a more consistent experience in general?
Thanks from:
21-03-2017, 12:28   #60
biebiebie

Quote:
Hmm or does it?
Look at the VF terms and conditions.

This Offer is subject to a Fair Usage Policy. Vodafone has developed a threshold for the Vodafone X Service which is currently set at 5,000 text messages to any Irish network. Vodafone has also developed a threshold for the Vodafone X Weekend Service whereby from 3pm on Friday to 11.59pm on Sunday the threshold is set at 5,000 text messages to any Irish network, 5,000 minutes to national mobiles and landlines on top of the 100 minutes monthly allocation, 20GB of 4G data per weekend on top of the 20GB monthly data allocation, which in total is up to 100GB of data per 28 days.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion