Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-05-2016, 14:16   #16
physioman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyJim View Post
They are mean't be to be using the same network as TM, are the speeds variable on TM too?
Yeah but speeds were different. Strange one
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-05-2016, 15:54   #17
breathn

This is NOT a bargain

When lyca first launched in Ireland, there was a megathread in BA about it, and every month their offer changed and people got stung when prices changed or allowances were cut. We all like a bargain but it's a pain to check their site every month to see what has changed.

As for their data, I got a new lyca sim last month actually to test it out. They do their own call and data routing.

Data speeds are VERY erratic, every speedtest I did it was bouncing between 1 and 15mbit during the test, it's a very unreliable speed.
Data connectivity would often just vanish for a few minutes altogether. Reboots wouldn't fix it. Their data would just simply stop working for a while.
Downloads from the play store would be pretty slow too, they only got fast when I ran a VPN.

Also your phone credit expires 90 days after topping up.

It's such a pain of a network
(4) thanks from:
01-05-2016, 16:15   #18
Vodamoan

Its €15pm and includes land and mobile calls. 10gig is good but its only 3g and it's a slow 3g at that. Their customer service staff are rude to put it mildly..... I'm a customer so I know firsthand. You gets what you pays for!!!
01-06-2016, 11:18   #19
bk

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Fantastic deal IMO from Lycamobile.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/bundle

Ireland Plus - €15 per month:
- 20GB 3G Data
- Unlimited any network (including landlines) calls [1]
- Unlimited texts [1]
- Free call and text roaming in 18 countries including UK and US [2] [3]
- Free calls and texts to Lyca numbers in Poland + Romania

I have to say, an absolutely brilliant deal, totally blows Tesco Mobile out of the water, specially as Tesco Mobile seems to be going down the drain now [4]

And add to all that very good rates for calling and texting international numbers.

[1] Seems to be 8,000 minutes calls and texts Fair Usage Policy, plenty IMO.
[2] http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card
[3] Calls and texts, but not data, but Lyca also has very good value add on bundles for data roaming too:
http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/e...l_2015_IE1.pdf
[4] Tesco Mobile has started randomly cutting off people with no warning (phone just stops working) for "security" reasons, massive amounts of controversy about it over on the TM forum, people are extremely unhappy. Also customer support has gone to the dogs and their roaming rates are terrible (many people think they maybe against the new EU roaming rules, they have been reported to Irish and EU regulators!).

I've just moved myself and the gf from TM to this Lyca deal and very happy so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biebiebie View Post
For anyone ordering a new sim.
Use the code LYCA20 when ordering your Sim.
I waited until my first bundle purchase and the code wouldn't work. I could only use LYCA10. So order the Sim along with the bundle of your choice and use the promo code then.

I've filled out the online complaint form as I believe that the LYCA20 advert on their website is misleading for new customers.

Last edited by Blade; 08-06-2016 at 21:29.
01-06-2016, 11:20   #20
Straight Edge Punk
Banned

What network do they use?
Advertisement
01-06-2016, 11:25   #21
Curb Your Enthusiasm

bk, can you post speedtest results for Lyca's 3G data?
(3) thanks from:
01-06-2016, 11:25   #22
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Edge Punk View Post
Three.
01-06-2016, 11:34   #23
snubbleste
Banned

Love the footnotes, OP.
01-06-2016, 11:48   #24
snubbleste
Banned

Also, simply top-up today to enjoy free 5GB data until 30 June. http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/5gb-bonus-data
Thanks from:
Advertisement
01-06-2016, 11:51   #25
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Edge Punk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb Your Enthusiasm View Post
Three.
The old o2 network, same as Tesco Mobile, 48 Months, etc.

o2 is now owned by Three and they are consolidating the networks, but they still aren't using the entire Three network, nor do they have 4G, same with the other MVNO's

I'll do a speed test later, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular, probably the same as Tesco. Grand for basic surfing, but I wouldn't do a massive amounts of HD video or try and use it as a replacement for home broadband.
01-06-2016, 11:54   #26
kn

Have to say that it is a fabulous deal for the money and certainly blows TM out of the water. TM have gone stale over the last 12 months having been the innovator in the industry prior to that. I am sure they will respond. I will be staying with them for the foreseeable as my clubcard points (including from the credit card) more than cover all my call/text/data requirements without costing me for a penny. But if that were not the case then I would be gone to Lycamobile as well.
Thanks from:
01-06-2016, 11:55   #27
biebiebie

Quote:
[3] Calls and texts, but not data, but Lyca also has very good value add on bundles for data roaming too.
I find their website to be quite poor for finding info.

Any ideas how much a roaming data add-on costs for say Spain?
Thanks from:
01-06-2016, 12:26   #28
bk

Quote:
Any ideas how much a roaming data add-on costs for say Spain?
Data Roaming Add On details here:
http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/e...l_2015_IE1.pdf

For Spain:
- 50MB €1.99
- 250MB €5
- 500MB €7
- 1GB €12

All valid for 30 days.

Quote:
I find their website to be quite poor for finding info.
I couldn't agree more, terrible website, with a massive amount of different deals and not really clear what is included in each deal. Just makes it all confusing.
Thanks from:
01-06-2016, 12:45   #29
mickoneill31

One question I have. When you click More on the bundle it shows the breakdown of the package.

Mins - Unlimited (National Mins) and Unlimited Lyca to Lyca calls in Ireland. To me it looks like the second part is redundant. Does Unlimited National Mins include all mobile & landline calls?

I'm with Tesco Mobile so probably using the same network. I only move around Dublin but I find the data to be great. It's 3G alright. I get about 13Mb/s max down on it. Fast enough for anything I use on my mobile. The most intensive for me might be Youtube streaming or tethering my laptop for work. For me I'd definitely take 15Gb Tesco or 20Gb Lyca at 3G instead of 3Gb or 7Gb at 4G from competitors. It's great being able to leave 3G on and not have to watch my usage each month.

Last edited by mickoneill31; 01-06-2016 at 13:12.
01-06-2016, 12:55   #30
bk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickoneill31 View Post
One question I have. When you click More on the bundle it shows the breakdown of the package.

Mins - Unlimited (National Mins) and Unlimited Lyca to Lyca calls in Ireland. To me it looks like the second part is redundant. Does Unlimited National Mins include all mobile & landline calls?
That is what I meant by the website being badly designed and confusing. Yes the Lyca to Lyca calls and texts are redundant *

However I can confirm that I've called and texted various mobiles and landlines on different networks and on the usage on my account they are all marked as zero cost, with just the 8,000 FUP finger decreasing with each one.

In fact, I've no credit on the phone beyond the bundle I bought, so these calls wouldn't even work otherwise.

* It is possible that Lyca to lyca calls and texts aren't included in the 8,000 FUP, thus explaining it.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion