Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Registration of classic vehicles after Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

newmember? wrote: »
    Nah...I'd imagine you're paying VAT+Duty on the value of the car not the price you paid for it. Surely someone on here has done it yet?

VAT, like on any commodity , is normally based on the invoice value. I don't think they'd take kindly to someone falsifying an invoice to avoid paying all the tax due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Isambard wrote: »
    VAT, like on any commodity , is normally based on the invoice value. I don't think they'd take kindly to someone falsifying an invoice to avoid paying all the tax due.

Indeed...but it's Value Added Tax not price paid added tax.

Tell Revenue, that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Car99 wrote: »
    I wondered about this.

Hypothetically If you get a really good deal on something say winning an Ebay UK auction at a ridiculously low price because the item was listed in the wrong section with the wrong spelling by an uniformed seller say a 1986 528i was listed in model cars and listed simply as Old car and you paid £500 for it even though it has an easily achievable value of £5000.
    In this case you can show Revenue all documents relating to the auction with a reasonable explanation .

Are revenue LIKELY to say similar goods are valued at 5k you owe us €900 in VAT+duty (which they can choose to do) or would they say you verified you paid €500 so you owe us €90 ?

Revenue can read fora too, you know. And eBay. And probably have he odd lad in there who knows a piston from a pissybed, so I'd say you're unlikely to succeed with the latter...............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

The revenue have came across every trick in the book, the brothers ex boss had a daughter living in UK for some years and he bought a new 911 and she registered it in her name and used it sparingly for a year or so and then moved home and change of residency hoping to avail of no vrt, but revenue were able to tell her that on her salary in UK not possible so pony up vrt or take back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

68deville wrote: »
    The revenue have came across every trick in the book, the brothers ex boss had a daughter living in UK for some years and he bought a new 911 and she registered it in her name and used it sparingly for a year or so and then moved home and change of residency hoping to avail of no vrt, but revenue were able to tell her that on her salary in UK not possible so pony up vrt or take back

How did they know her UK salary ? And could she not have got the money from other sources such as family etc

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

How did they know her UK salary ? And could she not have got the money from other sources such as family etc

Revenue have powers that only other departments could dream about.
    And the fact that we all have birth certs, Insurance numbers and PPS numbers, means that we can hide fek all from them, yet we are still racing towards a cash free society...willingly.:)

kadman wrote: »
    And the fact that we all have birth certs, Insurance numbers and PPS numbers, means that we can hide fek all from them, yet we are still racing towards a cash free society...willingly.:)

Recently east Germany springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Given the relatively strict money laundering laws.... I suspect they simply asked... and without a clear source for the money herself, revenue formed the opinion that the vehicle wasn't 'her personal property' and so didn't meet the rules for the VRT exemption.

Paddy

i doubt they can access UK salary details.

• Advertisement

i doubt they can access UK salary details.

O yes they can:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

O yes they can:D

Can they , how do they request that information from HMRC when not part of a criminal investigation? Especially now post brexit.

Can they , how do they request that information from HMRC when not part of a criminal investigation? Especially now post brexit.

If Ireland has tax treaties with more than 70 countries. These Double Taxation Agreements ensure that income that has been taxed in one country is not taxed again in another country.

If these treaties are in existence, I would think its fairly safe to say that some reciprocity exists between them

not convinced

not convinced

Maybe some version of Dun and Bradstreet for individuals at their disposal;)

If Ireland has tax treaties with more than 70 countries. These Double Taxation Agreements ensure that income that has been taxed in one country is not taxed again in another country.

If these treaties are in existence, I would think its fairly safe to say that some reciprocity exists between them

They can only tax what you declare unless they decide to audit you then you have to prove xyz to them. They dont care if they inadvertently double tax you .

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

well looking at this thread since January,there doesnt seem to be any classics imported.Revenue can have all the charges they like,but ill bet they will make far less this year and into the future with there charges ,own goal springs to mind

turbocab wrote: »
    well looking at this thread since January,there doesnt seem to be any classics imported.Revenue can have all the charges they like,but ill bet they will make far less this year and into the future with there charges ,own goal springs to mind

it's Brexit you should blame, not Revenue,

it's Brexit you should blame, not Revenue,

Both actually

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Both actually

Nope. Ireland is part of the EU and as such not free to start to make up their own rules about charging VAT or not when importing cars from outside the EU.

The blame is entirely with the British voters who have voted for Brexit, and as such voted for a recession, like turkeys voting for Christmas. Unfortunately Ireland will suffer too.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Nope. Ireland is part of the EU and as such not free to start to make up their own rules about charging VAT or not when importing cars from outside the EU.

The blame is entirely with the British voters who have voted for Brexit, and as such voted for a recession, like turkeys voting for Christmas. Unfortunately Ireland will suffer too.

You fail to remember the reason people went to buy classics in the uk, is because very few of these cars were sold new in eire was because of excessive taxes put on them here , take a look at the 1986 car show on rte its on here somewhwere .they give the irish price of new cars and the northern ireland price, it would make your eyes water,We have been robbed here for decades when it comes to car prices

Ireland knew what was coming, they were part of the EU talks. They bent over backwards, pushovers . As this is about cars, we will be left with the dregs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭w124man

This is it in a nutshell. End of.

Why we bought classics in the UK or the price of eggs has SFA to do with the situation we are in now. None of this is of our making and blaming Revenue or the Government is plain dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You fail to remember the reason people went to buy classics in the uk, is because very few of these cars were sold new in eire was because of excessive taxes put on them here , take a look at the 1986 car show on rte its on here somewhwere .they give the irish price of new cars and the northern ireland price, it would make your eyes water,We have been robbed here for decades when it comes to car prices

Fwiw, in support of your comment, the rate of VAT here in 1984 was......an eye-watering 35%.... its a miracle anybody bought anything tbh.. ..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Fwiw, in support of your comment, the rate of VAT here in 1984 was......an eye-watering 35%.... its a miracle anybody bought anything tbh.. ..

35% wow and what were interest rates like? In the teens?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,945 ✭✭✭✭unkel

35% wow and what were interest rates like? In the teens?

Yup and income tax up to 80%

Not all gloom and doom though. A large 4 bed semi-detached house in a half decent Dublin suburb was under £10k and two people had only one paying job between them. Far simpler, easier and less stressful life.

The pain of Brexit on vehicles and all other things in the UK and Ireland will neither be borne by
    UK government or Irish government, it will be paid for by us, the consumer and no one else.
    As things always have been .

Its an ideal situation for both governments to lay more burden on us, then blame each other government
    for the new charges wherever they fall.

The pain of Brexit on vehicles and all other things in the UK and Ireland will neither be borne by
    UK government or Irish government, it will be paid for by us, the consumer and no one else.
    As things always have been .

Its an ideal situation for both governments to lay more burden on us, then blame each other government
    for the new charges wherever they fall.

I thought someone explained that the Government here can do nothing about it. They are merely following EU regulations following Brexit. It's the UK voters to blame for this and their devious Government.

I thought someone explained that the Government here can do nothing about it. They are merely following EU regulations following Brexit. It's the UK voters to blame for this and their devious Government.

It doesn't matter whos to blame. Irish coffers get filled, UK coffers get filled....

By us, the consumer, here and in UK now

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter whos to blame. Irish coffers get filled, UK coffers get filled....

By us, the consumer, here and in UK now

well with the bill for COVID yet to be presented, I'd suggest we are going to need all that tax revenue and much more . Tax doesn't just run down the drain, it's spent on , ultimately, us.

Advertisement