Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

is that Mountrath? always a few old Mercs outside the garage there,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

MercMad wrote: »
    ............drive to Toomevara. Stop car. Open eyes. See car. Ask guy in workshop ! ;)

Seriously you cant miss it. It appears solid but I never stopped to examine it !

.....now pay attention !!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

Thanks for the pic. I see... not exactly tucked away is it.
    Original Irish plate too isn't it?

I reckon the car's not a seller - if on display like that surely some others have enquired if for sale before now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I had that Merc about 15 years ago, it's an import from around the late 70's with a mid 80's re-reg plate if I remember correctly. I remember finding another one a few years ago in hiding in a chicken shed from the customs with only 4k miles on the clock and when I cleaned it up you'd swear it was new.

Yeah the plate is a late '84 Dublin reg', I dont recall which engine is in it though !

/edit........Cartell states 1988cc..........so a 200TE !

I wonder what heppened to it that it got left there !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭8~)

If the original engine it would be a 200T; all W123 200 engines were carbs as far as I know.

Small little motoring world isn't it! Might go and have a gander at that car at some stage... might be worth having it to restore if it's a really early one - 30 years old in two years time.

8~) wrote: »
    If the original engine it would be a 200T; all W123 200 engines were carbs as far as I know.

...........oh yeah forgot that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭david1two3

I saw an absolutely stunning blue Merc 280 3.5 litre on a J plate in Oxford street on friday but when I reached for the camera it was on the kitchen table. It was a Chinese family driving and I said to the guy £30,000 and he said ,"a bit more actually". It was a new car to look at. I will see it again, maybe stalk it on friday.

david1two3 wrote: »
    I saw an absolutely stunning blue Merc 280 3.5 litre on a J plate in Oxford street on friday but when I reached for the camera it was on the kitchen table. It was a Chinese family driving and I said to the guy £30,000 and he said ,"a bit more actually". It was a new car to look at. I will see it again, maybe stalk it on friday.

.............was it a Coupe ?

I presume it was and that price would buy an extremely good example, however professionally restored, or mint originals would be worth a small bit more.

If it was a 4 door then the chap is mad !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Strange question I know but was it a 250 diesel estate - 86 WX 167 by any chance, first car I owned and I'm still annoyed with myself I traded it 8 years later. I've seen it a few times around Cork and Limerick but I've never been able to track it's new owner down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Someone earlier on in the thread mentioned that it is easy to find classics from atop a bus, well yesterday i spotted a few.........

Johnstown, Kilkenny, abandoned Fiat 132 later version behind a unit selling
    garden ornaments. There were other cars too but i couldnt make them out as the bus was travelling quite fast. Its impossible to take a picture.

Littleton, Tipperary, Austin A40 abandoned behind a wall at clohessy's garage, blue in colour, i think there is a second one at that same place .

Clonmellion, Bedford Van, based on HA Viva, sitting in a field corner on a countrylane. may have been an ex-ESB van.

Navan to Dunshauglin, an early 70s Mercedes 250 CE outside a house, the front section was missing, no wheels. In a field adjacent to it is another mercedes 200 from around the same time, 4 doors, seemed to be on a mound or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

I saw this as I went for my daily walkies near Mimizan in South West Fance last week, it looks very restoreable! What exact model is she?

SV204461.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ Citroen DS.

how does one tell an ID from a DS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ID is the cheapo version. I think all the changes were mechanical.

Mike.

G Luxel wrote: »

Navan to Dunshauglin, an early 70s Mercedes 250 CE outside a house, the front section was missing, no wheels. In a field adjacent to it is another mercedes 200 from around the same time, 4 doors, seemed to be on a mound or something.

This one by any chance ?? Taken a few years ago, the other one I spotted at the time was a W108 280SE 3.5 on original Irish plates, shame ! Too far gone IMO and the stubborn owner wouldn't sell anyway !

280CENav1.jpg

280SE35Nav2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

yes i think that is the first one, although it seemed to be on top of something like blocks i think. The second one was surrounded by briars and the other cars in the picture are no longer there except the pajero. I agree that it is a shame that they arent restored and put on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sorry about the quality guys- it was taken from a distance with my phone. If you ever have reason to be heading west on the N25 between Castlemartyr and Midleton, you will see this if you look into the yard of Fitzgerald commercials (nee, skin and hair engineering).

I think I remember seeing it there as a complete car maybe 5 years ago but it hasn't moved since the first flurry of activity (ie stripped). It is very slowly rotting and i get the privilege of watching it deteriorate day after day as I pass.

[/shudder]

.......poor old Fintail !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Sorry for the poor photo.

Saw this Mk 1 in a scrapyard on the N8 just north of Littleton.

capri-1.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

corktina wrote: »
    how does one tell an ID from a DS?

When the DS was launched in 1955 it was way ahead of anything else but quite expensive. The ID was introduced as a cheaper version with no creature comforts e.g. no power steering. The ID will have no hub caps and I believe that the fiberglass roof was not painted.

All details here: http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/michelin/ds/ds-25.html

and a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlfAEL_aXc0&feature=related

and a fun video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWiRxHJHNWc&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭maidhc

Do-more wrote: »
    Sorry for the poor photo.

Saw this Mk 1 in a scrapyard on the N8 just north of Littleton.

capri-1.jpg

Haha, I called it about that actually. It "isn't for sale" as it "will be restored". Its back is almost broken with rust though.

Eric318 wrote: »
    When the DS was launched in 1955 it was way ahead of anything else but quite expensive. The ID was introduced as a cheaper version with no creature comforts e.g. no power steering. The ID will have no hub caps and I believe that the fiberglass roof was not painted.

All details here: http://www.citroenet.org.uk/passenger-cars/michelin/ds/ds-25.html

and a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlfAEL_aXc0&feature=related

and a fun video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWiRxHJHNWc&feature=related

thx i believe the ID had conventional suspension too

maidhc wrote: »
    Haha, I called it about that actually. It "isn't for sale" as it "will be restored". Its back is almost broken with rust though.

been there awhile must have been moved recently as you couldnt see it for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spidersonmars

To spot the difference between an Id and a ds in the picture above is easy the cornets the trumpet shaped reflectors at the back of the roof are plastic on an ID. These are chrome on this model, hence it is a DS. The suspension were the same on both cars, the only difference was that type/colour of hydra fluid used on later models. In-side the differnences were that the DS has a mushroom button instead of a conventional brake pedal. Also the transmission was I believe different semi auto in a DS. Mr DS himself will surely correct or add to this list and rightly so. jesz I nearly forgot!!! The chrome strips down the side is dead giveaway to any citroen fan that this is possibly a DS, although the ID super or DS20 of circa 1969 on had strips of chrome on the side. It was an in-between model, it looked like DS but was technically a "pimped" ID. I think thats about right now. The floor is now yours Mr DS..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Hi SpidersOnMars - you're mostly right.

Like Eric318 says, the ID was introduced as a stripped down DS so that Citroen could replace the Traction Avant, which was cheaper to buy than the DS that was supposed to replace it. The first IDs were extremely basic inside, and had many small differences outside like the indicator trumpets that Spidersonmars mentions.

However, as time passed the ID and DS came closer and closer together so that at the end of the model's life they are virtually indistinguishable.

Nerdy ID vs DS differences:

ID types had black rubber on the windscreen surround, DSs had grey
    IDs had brown plastic indicator trumpets up until about 1967, the DS had chrome (or opaque red). After 1967 they both had chrome.
    The ID was never fitted with turning driving lights as standard, but they were an option (if you also chose the power steering option)
    The ID had a different braking system (and early IDs had a different handbrake system) to the DS. Hence the pedal vs mushroom
    IDs are never semi-automatic. But DSs could be manual, auto or semi-auto.
    The largest engine in an ID type is the 2175cc fitted to a DSpecial.
    All DS estates are technically IDs. Even the semi-auto, mushroom braked, 2345cc DS 23 estate :confused::confused:
    IDs share exactly the same suspension as the DS.
    IDs changed from red fluid to green fluid hydraulics in 1968, one year after the DS. (except for the US, where they both changed in 1970)
    IDs generally had lower powered engines than their DS equivalent with the same engine.
    IDs had less sound proofing and undercarpet cushioning than the DS.
    IDs have different interior lighting and roof lining than DSs.
    IDs have their own dash up until 1970 when it shared the DS dash.
    South African made DS20s are closer to IDs (Dsuper4) than DSs (no power steering, manual only, vinyl seats, silver badging, rubber roof lining).

ID types are easiest identified by silver instead of gold badging.
    ID saloon models: ID Normale, ID 19, ID19A, ID19B, ID20, DSuper4, DSuper5, DSpecial.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Some pics of a lonely looking Ford fire truck on the Isle of Skye:
    hpim0207qm8.jpg
    hpim0208au4.jpg
    hpim0210ml2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Daxklynsmith

Apart from the bench seat in the back , any other uses I could put a Dennis fire truck to so I can swing it past the wife??

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I presume your house insurance would come down if ya had a fire truck sitting in your garden on standby. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Apart from the bench seat in the back , any other uses I could put a Dennis fire truck to so I can swing it past the wife??

You could use it for storing car parts, as a glass house, as a chicken house or you could convert it into a campervan.

Advertisement