Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam, what to get and where to get it - vol. 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Hi All,

I've a BlueSykSea B1W dashcam for over a year now. Really happy with the quality & it's very discreet. The issue I have with it is that the date keeps defaulting back to Sept 2015. I've synched it with the phone plenty of times but keeps defaulting back. Makes it very hard to find a video on the SD card as none of the videos are in any type of order. Think it loses the date/time everytime I turn off the car. Anyone have that issue?.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've a BlueSykSea B1W dashcam for over a year now. Really happy with the quality & it's very discreet. The issue I have with it is that the date keeps defaulting back to Sept 2015. I've synched it with the phone plenty of times but keeps defaulting back. Makes it very hard to find a video on the SD card as none of the videos are in any type of order. Think it loses the date/time everytime I turn off the car. Anyone have that issue?.

T.

Had this with a different brand of dashcam, internal battery was knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Whats the best one out there for moving between multiple vehicles, good sumple mount will be critical. I've resisted for a long time but with some of the stuff lately I'm now thinking about it. I can jump between two cars and a van so hence the portability side. If it works well and makes sense then I can hardwire in later.

traco wrote: »
    Whats the best one out there for moving between multiple vehicles, good sumple mount will be critical. I've resisted for a long time but with some of the stuff lately I'm now thinking about it. I can jump between two cars and a van so hence the portability side. If it works well and makes sense then I can hardwire in later.

You can get a suction attachment for most on Amazon, a lot of them have numerous fittings with them. Though if you’re going to do it properly by hard wiring and all then I’d buy additional permanent mounts for the one you have (assuming it has a mount unit).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Had this with a different brand of dashcam, internal battery was knackered.

Lads like android boxes buy cheap equals buy more,
    Spend a few bob on a decent unit that plays both apple play and android auto, decent screen, that you can keep for years and use in your next motor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

The BlueSkySea wasn't that cheap from what I remember. Doesn't have a screen which makes it more discreet. Doesn't have a battery either but uses a capacitor which may now not be holding the charge. Just been checking & I have it for over 3 years which isn't too bad I suppose.

T,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Its a long shot but I will give it a go.

On quite a few occasions I have seen a rearview dash cam (attaches to your existing ordinary rearview mirror of your car) in eurogiant stores for €20 (eurogiant mainly sell rage of stuff costing €2 or less) - and been tempted.

Now , at 20 quid I would not be expecting anything decent as a piece of equipment that costs well over a hundred quid , so I am guessing 720p HD (if that) and a pretty poor frame rate . I think it sad it takes up to 32gb SD card and it re-writes over it when its full - think its got night time LEDs . Not sure if its a seperate camera that fits on the back window or boot or just built into the mirror itself , think it has motion detector.

I know 20 quid wont break the bank and so maybe I should just take a punt and get one , one of these days and I will know.

But just asking if anyone on here has bought one out of eurogiant or was given this one by santy and if so what did they reckon of it? - worth 20 smackers or just cheap tat and not worth getting? ...

no surmising please like "well what do you expect for 20 quid" and "save your money its rubbish!" - unless you have actually bought one and it is utter garbage please.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Andy I know you said not to, but anything from Eurogiant for 20 euro will be Chinese POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

biko wrote: »
    Andy I know you said not to, but anything from Eurogiant for 20 euro will be Chinese POS.

haha, I need a guinea pig though someone who has bought one or been given one as a gift and has tried it out - im not expecting it to be like those ones halfords sell (ant remember the brand now off the top of my head but they are a popular one)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Hi,
    I'm looking for a dashcam recommendation for my car, as a result of my oldest child learning to drive. I would need to get it fitted too. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something that will do a decent job if there is ever a collision.

• Advertisement

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a dashcam recommendation for my car, as a result of my oldest child learning to drive. I would need to get it fitted too. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, just something that will do a decent job if there is ever a collision.

Pioneer SPH 250 dab if near cork , Eddie o Sullivan
    Patrick's Quay,- A1
    Fitted mine,saved hundreds compared to Halfrauds

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Pioneer SPH 250 dab if near cork , Eddie o Sullivan
    Patrick's Quay,- A1
    Fitted mine,saved hundreds compared to Halfrauds

Thanks for that, unfortunately I'm in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Halfords prices https://www.halfords.ie/technology/dash-cams/
    Do check with local motorfactors and auto electricians.

Jane98 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, unfortunately I'm in Limerick.

Pity he's tops, and only deals in pioneer
    Quality workmanship

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭omeara1113

Thinking of getting a dash cam can anybody recommend a decent brand and model
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is already a huge dash cam thread here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058051656&page=11

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi I got a present of a nextbase 522gw. Changing car and garage will fit it for me but I need to get installation kit.

Also Going to get the rear view one as well.

Any recommendations on what size SD card I should but?

Also what cable is needed to connect to the rear camera?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I got a present of a nextbase 522gw. Changing car and garage will fit it for me but I need to get installation kit.

Also Going to get the rear view one as well.

Any recommendations on what size SD card I should but?

Also what cable is needed to connect to the rear camera?

Thanks

I've got that exact setup with a 128gb card. The cable comes with the rear camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

I want to get a dashcam for my car - front and back. Was thinking of getting the OEM Audi set but it's over 600 quid. What's attracting me to it is that it can be hardwired, and does not have a screen so it's much more discrete on the windscreen in front and behind. This is the link here

Are there any other decent alternatives... Like I'll spend the 600 odd on the Audi one if there is no decent alternative but Ideally I'd like to spend less. Has anyone anything to say about the Blackvue set? My Audi A6 already has an LTE Wifi module and 4G simcard so can use that for connectivity etc. Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

this is a great dual camera

https://www.viofo.com/en/home/197-a129-plus-duo-dual-channel-dash-cam-front-2k-1440p-rear-1080p-5ghz-wi-fi-gps-dash-camera.html
    I want to get a dashcam for my car - front and back. Was thinking of getting the OEM Audi set but it's over 600 quid. What's attracting me to it is that it can be hardwired, and does not have a screen so it's much more discrete on the windscreen in front and behind. This is the link here

Are there any other decent alternatives... Like I'll spend the 600 odd on the Audi one if there is no decent alternative but Ideally I'd like to spend less. Has anyone anything to say about the Blackvue set? My Audi A6 already has an LTE Wifi module and 4G simcard so can use that for connectivity etc. Thanks for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

€ 31,32 27%OFF | 70mai Car DVR 1S APP & English Voice Control 70mai 1S 1080P HD Night Vision 70mai 1S Dash Camera Recorder WiFi 70mai Dash Cam

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

Hi all,

I have a Blackvue dr650s hooked up to a Power magic battery pack and in parking mode I get maybe 16hours of recording from it. Works fine for me but I've always been curious if I was to hook it up direct to the fuse box...

Would it impact the car's battery?
    How long would it last in parking mode?
    Would I need additional hardware to shut it off when the battery reaches a certain charge?

The car is parked up for days on end these days and the power magic battery is usually dead when I do go for a drive so would hard wiring be beneficial?

Cheers,
    PB

phelimb wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a Blackvue dr650s hooked up to a Power magic battery pack and in parking mode I get maybe 16hours of recording from it. Works fine for me but I've always been curious if I was to hook it up direct to the fuse box...

Would it impact the car's battery?
    How long would it last in parking mode?
    Would I need additional hardware to shut it off when the battery reaches a certain charge?

The car is parked up for days on end these days and the power magic battery is usually dead when I do go for a drive so would hard wiring be beneficial?

Cheers,
    PB

I'll let you know this weekend.

I am installing a Blackvue DR750X 2 Channel Dashcam and plan on hardwiring with fuse taps. I believe I can configure the dashcam to power down once it senses the car battery is being drained. The sensitivity of this can be set in the firmware itself. I'll keep you posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

I'll let you know this weekend.

I am installing a Blackvue DR750X 2 Channel Dashcam and plan on hardwiring with fuse taps. I believe I can configure the dashcam to power down once it senses the car battery is being drained. The sensitivity of this can be set in the firmware itself. I'll keep you posted!

Good timing so :) Let me know how you get on...

When I installed my Blackvue the car battery was close on 7 years old so I was thinking it probably doesn't have a lot of extra charge hanging around to run the parking mode of the dash cam. But I got a new car battery just after Christmas so it's in good shape and should last longer before any auto shutoff kicks in.

Really interested to know which would potentially last longer in parking mode - the Power magic battery (16hours or so) OR the car battery.

Cheers,
    PB

phelimb wrote: »
    Good timing so :) Let me know how you get on...

When I installed my Blackvue the car battery was close on 7 years old so I was thinking it probably doesn't have a lot of extra charge hanging around to run the parking mode of the dash cam. But I got a new car battery just after Christmas so it's in good shape and should last longer before any auto shutoff kicks in.

Really interested to know which would potentially last longer in parking mode - the Power magic battery (16hours or so) OR the car battery.

Cheers,
    PB

So, I installed the Dashcam on Wednesday afternoon with the hardwiring kit. I got my switched live from the fuse for the horn and the permanent live from the headliner lighting (but with piggyback /fuse tap connections). Also set the limits on the battery saver and told the firmware to power down at 6 hours (or whichever comes first as is the default). I've noticed however that even after 6 hours the LED is still active on the dashcams and it's recording right throughout the night ... which I'm guessing it means that something is not right as it's not switching itself off after 6 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

So, I installed the Dashcam on Wednesday afternoon with the hardwiring kit. I got my switched live from the fuse for the horn and the permanent live from the headliner lighting (but with piggyback /fuse tap connections). Also set the limits on the battery saver and told the firmware to power down at 6 hours (or whichever comes first as is the default). I've noticed however that even after 6 hours the LED is still active on the dashcams and it's recording right throughout the night ... which I'm guessing it means that something is not right as it's not switching itself off after 6 hours?

Are you sure the horn is actually switched live?

You might be better going for the radio or cig lighter for a switched live

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Are you sure the horn is actually switched live?

You might be better going for the radio or cig lighter for a switched live
    Back with an update on this - turns out that the horn isn't switched live at all - so went to a an empty fuse holder for head up display and all is resolved now. Works a treat. Powers itself off at 6 hours or if the dash cam itself senses the battery is draining. The quality from the blackvue dashcam is first class. It's a little off centre but this was my choice as the A6 already has a lot going up behind the read view mirror and to get it in the centre would mean brining the front camera right down the windscreen which I did not want to do. The field of vision is still perfect though as i think it has a 138 degree viewing angle. Highly recommend it. Software on phone to view is fairly decent too. By all accounts this is a much better purchase than the Audi dashcam

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

I had the same model installed in the last week (front and rear). Happy with it so far. Installed by Halfords in Tralee and no complaints - nice neat job.

Prior to the install I was also interested in how the power/battery pull could be controlled, and the best way to power off fully and immediately when parking mode not needed (i.e, safe off road at home, rural area). From what I could deduce there were 3 options:

a. Pull the power lead from the front dashcam.

b. Open the app and toggle battery protection to 'off'. (Had this confirmed by BlackVue support, although haven't tried it as I chose the next option).

c. Use a Conecta X OBD cable and take power from the OBD port as opposed to hard-wiring to the fusebox.

The Conecta X cable also has battery protection set at 12V cutoff (not configurable), but more interesting to me it has a physical switch that lets you select parking or accessory mode. Parking mode provides permanent power to the dashcam unless supply drops to 12V, and accessory mode has a built in timer that shuts off power 5 minutes after ignition is switched off. The Conecta X is endorsed by BlackVue.

Basically I flick the switch to parking mode when leaving home, and to accessory when I return back. It's in a Skoda Karoq and the OBD port is just under the dash in drivers well, easy to access but out of the way.

Handy option if you only want parking mode in certain circumstances as no point drawing on battery if not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

On a broader note, I'm curious to know if people who've had dashcams fitted are following through with the legal side of it. When I had mine fitted at Halfords last week there was no mention about other obligations, and from what I can see no relevant content on their website either.

I subsequently did a bit of reading, and at a minimum it seems you should also have stickers in the car stating the presence of cctv recording devices. Privacy laws also infer you adopt the status of 'data controller' with its associated responsibilities.

It's a complex/grey area, but there's a suggestion that the dashcam owner could be open to prosecution if not compliant. It may also make footage in an insurance case inadmissable.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts/opinions about this side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Damien360

Wouldn’t be bothered with stickers. Cameras are plain to see. Gardai regularly request dash cam footage for accidents. They don’t see an issue with them. I have hardwired my nextbase one for front and back. Not hidden in any way.

Advertisement