Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Luap wrote: »
    I have not driven my car since the start of the lockdown last March and my NCT expired in March 2020.

When trying to book it online it's showing that I don't have a test due until March 2021?
    I think if you didn't get your last test done and you're now within ninety days of when your next test would be due, the cert is dated from that test date (March 2021) and so will not expire until March 2022

Remember, as you had a test outstanding at the end of March this year, you didn't qualify for the four-month extension.

turniphead wrote: »
    Hi there,

My NCT expired in February 2020. I have a 2009 car so it requires an annual NCT test. I havn't driven this car at all in 2020 as I had permanent access to a work vehicle which was extended throughout 2020 because of Covid.

I'm looking to get my own car back on the road again but I was wondering...

(a). if I book it in for an NCT and it passes how long will the certificate be valid for? The nearest dates available in my local test centre are April 2021.
    As per the last post, I believe your next cert will be valid until February 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Quackster wrote: »
    I think if you didn't get your last test done and you're now within ninety days of when your next test would be due, the cert is dated from that test date (March 2021) and so will not expire until March 2022

Remember, as you had a test outstanding at the end of March this year, you didn't qualify for the four-month extension.
    Quackster wrote: »
    As per the last post, I believe your next cert will be valid until February 2022.

see my post a few pages back re my wifes car.

basically similar situation, got cert through to march 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

dkd21 wrote: »
    Servicing has nothing to do with the test .. who asked you that ?

Person at the desk you show your licence to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Luap

Seve OB wrote: »
    see my post a few pages back re my wifes car.

basically similar situation, got cert through to march 2022

Is this possible to drive the car now even with the expired disc? I have my test book in Feb.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Luap wrote: »
    Is this possible to drive the car now even with the expired disc? I have my test book in Feb.

Thanks again

Check the nct site with your car reg. Some not all have a free extension.

Its an offence to drive with an out of date NCT and your insurance might have an issue with it too, particularly at renewal date.

That said, keep a print out of booking in car and you might be OK

You can get an earlier date by ringing call centre and staying on hold for 20 minutes. They then text you a random day and time a week later. Its better to have NCT than out of date NCT particularly if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Zatoichi wrote: »
    Person at the desk you show your licence to.

Maybe in relation to your engine condition for the smoke test if its a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have a car which is due NCT end of Feb according to the cert I have. I just checked on NCT site and it's been extended 4 months to June this year. If I'm stopped between Feb and June will a Garda accept this explanation or should I do a print out from the NCT site? I'm due to trade in the car in the next few months anyway so definitely don't want to send it for an early NCT.

I have a car which is due NCT end of Feb according to the cert I have. I just checked on NCT site and it's been extended 4 months to June this year. If I'm stopped between Feb and June will a Garda accept this explanation or should I do a print out from the NCT site? I'm due to trade in the car in the next few months anyway so definitely don't want to send it for an early NCT.
    No need to print off anything, Gardaí are fully up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Both my cars are due in February. I get the "WARNING! Your Vehicle is not due yet! If you continue to make a booking, it may fall under the voluntary early testing rules which will bring future test due dates forward." warning when I try to book. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing it now rather than waiting for four months ? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Both my cars are due in February. I get the "WARNING! Your Vehicle is not due yet! If you continue to make a booking, it may fall under the voluntary early testing rules which will bring future test due dates forward." warning when I try to book. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to doing it now rather than waiting for four months ? Thanks.
    You mean both your cars were originally due in February but are due in June now?

I don't see any benefit in getting them done early, especially with the levels of covid circulating at the moment. Remember, the ninety-day rule means you can get them done from March and not be penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

The only advantage I see is if you are selling the car and you want a long test on it to help it's salability.

Mine is due in May but I have a test booked in Feb (within the 90 days of the due date).

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Mine is due in May but I have a test booked in Feb (within the 90 days of the due date).

So you have a long nct for selling ?

So you have a long nct for selling ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The only advantage I see is if you are selling the car and you want a long test on it to help it's salability.

did you get your 4 month extension last year?

Seve OB wrote: »
    did you get your 4 month extension last year?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Hi,
    I just went to fill out the form for NCT recognition of an MOT cert. I brought a car in from the UK last month with MOT valid till July.
    I got the postal order needed, but the NCT site seems to have changed. Its now urging me to display the EU cert, I take it this rules out my MOT and I now have to apply for an NCT as UK MOT certs are no longer valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zomoradi

I was thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zomoradi

i think he got less? maybe im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Elderly relative just brought to my attention that his NCT is up on 13 Feb (thats with the 4 month extension), he had thought they were closed with the restrictions etc and so had simply forgotten all about it. Nearest date i can get him online is Feb 18 but he wont drive as he is afraid of being stopped and pulled with all the checkpoints. Is there any point ringing them to try and get soemthing sooner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

You can drive to the NCT with an expired disc, it's perfectly legal.

Maybe ring or just check for new slots every morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Elderly relative juts brought to my attention that his NCT is up on 13 Feb (thats with the 4 month extension), he had thought they were closed with the restrictions etc and so had simply forgotten all about it. Nearest date i can get him online is Feb 18 but he wont drive as he is afraid of being stopped and pulled with all the checkpoints. Is there any point ringing them to try and get soemthing sooner?

Yes give them a call you may get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Just book the closest place to him for the next available date -there will be no issue

pinktoe wrote: »

Ok thanks ill try and persuade him :)

pinktoe wrote: »

But is it actually legal or just that most guards will use their cop on? Also what about the 5km rule or is the NCT now deemed essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

But is it actually legal or just that most guards will use their cop on? Also what about the 5km rule or is the NCT now deemed essential?

Sorry it was completely legal in the Road Traffic Regulations 1999, now they removed that part in the 2009 version.

So I was wrong. I'd personally still chance it but it would probably depend on the garda. Sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

You're fine once you can show your waiting for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Keep checking the system, new dates pop up constantly as people cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

I just had the NCT done today, supposed to be done in Sept last year, so was postponed and due on the 21st of Jan. The shortest NCT time ever, not so many cars queuing. I changed the oil, and the filter, put some quality diesel + additive, and drove in the 4th gear up to 3000 rot/m to the NCT. Smoke 0.560 and turbo 2.50/m. Last year was smoke 2.310 and turbo 3.00 /m. All good for one more year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I had the same situation, forgot about it with the extension and all, and nothing available online.

I rang and got put on a priority list. Had a booking before the expiry in a few days. I've always found them very helpful on the phone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement