Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT during the 2020/21 Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Elderly relative just brought to my attention that his NCT is up on 13 Feb (thats with the 4 month extension), he had thought they were closed with the restrictions etc and so had simply forgotten all about it. Nearest date i can get him online is Feb 18 but he wont drive as he is afraid of being stopped and pulled with all the checkpoints. Is there any point ringing them to try and get soemthing sooner?

I've found in the past if you check online around 8:30 in the morning there would be new slots available, probably due to updating of cancellations.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

njburke wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just went to fill out the form for NCT recognition of an MOT cert. I brought a car in from the UK last month with MOT valid till July.
    I got the postal order needed, but the NCT site seems to have changed. Its now urging me to display the EU cert, I take it this rules out my MOT and I now have to apply for an NCT as UK MOT certs are no longer valid?

MOT certs to swap for NCT no longer an option as of 1st January, you will need to apply for NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

NCT have special arrangements in place for more vulnerable people. If you’re in that category their advice is to ring 01 4135992 (Monday to Friday) .
    Worth looking into in your relatives case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Got sorted, just checked online 10 mins ago and there was a slot next Wednesday, perfect, gives him a week to get it ready etc. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I presume there's no issue with me taking the car in for the test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Got sorted, just checked online 10 mins ago and there was a slot next Wednesday, perfect, gives him a week to get it ready etc. Thanks for all the helpful replies. I presume there's no issue with me taking the car in for the test?

There should be no issue with you bringing the car for the test as long as you bring the Reg certificate with you in case you are asked. They may ask for a licence also but sometimes they don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

None - Just bring your ID.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

You're fine once you can show your waiting for the test.

You may be fine but is wholly dependent on the Garda you encounter. Technically it is illegal to drive with an expired certificate, but you will generally be fine if the date of expiration and date of test are reasonably close.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Our cars nct is due Feb 2nd so I presumed it automatically had the extension but doesn't after all.
    Reason they gave me was it didn't have a valid nct on March 28 last year (2020) it went in for test on March 11 but because of the lifts issue was not issued a full test so is not eligible for the extension!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Another 4 month extension but I'm guessing it only covers car that are within the 90 day period!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40214309.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

"...In the context of the safety protocols relating to Covid-19, the capacity of NCT centres is restricted and there is less opportunity to increase their level of service than would otherwise be possible. This has resulted in delays in a number of centres.”..."

They are constantly backlogged every year. If anything is quicker these days. Probably have lots of people isolating as per protocols though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Another 4 month extension but I'm guessing it only covers car that are within the 90 day period!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40214309.html

I am not sure if this is a new extension. Its an answer to a question where they give a statement of what they are doing to help those who need an nct and they are restating the existing situation in answer to a question. The centres are not closed, and I don't think another extension was given, but if it is true I would like to see what years or types of extensions given. I know 171 were not given an extension yet, and they are all due first nct around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just checked mine and there is no additional 4 month extension

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Any vehicle that had a valid Full Nct on March 28 2020 has 4 months extension, lots of cars registered in Jan and Feb now falling due for test are eligible .

jimbooth wrote: »
    Any vehicle that had a valid Full Nct on March 28 2020 has 4 months extension, lots of cars registered in Jan and Feb now falling due for test are eligible .

I just put in the reg 171G702 into nct website and its due an nct by 10/01/2021, so it did not get any 4 month extension, so no it looks like 171 cars did not get an extension, but many older cars did back last year.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

zg3409 wrote: »
    I just put in the reg 171G702 into nct website and its due an nct by 10/01/2021, so it did not get any 4 month extension, so no it looks like 171 cars did not get an extension, but many older cars did back last year.
    The NCT extension only applied to vehicles due their first NCT on or before 31st August 2020. Newer vehicles didn't qualify.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had to get a car that was out of use back in to use due to long parts delays getting another repaired; so put it on for a priority list booking last week - at the time there was a single appointment on the 18th of Feb available in Fonthill but at a really awful time.

Got emailed one for the 23rd now! Better time but worse than what was available, and some days later at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

My car is due an NCT. There’s a crack in the windscreen and when I was booking replacement (covered by insurance) I was told the glass has to come from England. If I book NCT and windscreen isn’t replaced on time will they test it still, fail me on the windscreen but give me a window of time to return with my replaced window for a recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

nightie wrote: »
    My car is due an NCT. There’s a crack in the windscreen and when I was booking replacement (covered by insurance) I was told the glass has to come from England. If I book NCT and windscreen isn’t replaced on time will they test it still, fail me on the windscreen but give me a window of time to return with my replaced window for a recheck?

28 days for retest.

You will fail and not get the cert but as it visual there'll be no charge once everything else passes.

nightie wrote: »

Have a look at nct manual. If the crack is in drivers view (with exact dimensions given) then its a fail, depending on location and size you might pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

Thanks punisher5112 and zg3409 for replies. Windscreen repair company just rang to book appointment for Friday. She won’t fail (for the windscreen anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Evening all.

My 2020 NCT appointment was scheduled for March 30th 2020. (The NCT expired in May 2020.)

However, I got the test done just before the centers all closed around Paddy's Day. I never changed my appointment date. I just showed up 2 weeks early & asked nicely if they could fit me in early & they did. Drove away with my pass cert & new disc, which had the expiration date of May 2021, as it should have, if Covid never happened. It's an older car, so has to be tested yearly

So I just went to book it in for a test next month, presuming it expired in May. But it turns out my new expiration date is September. I got the 4 month Covid extension, even though I got the test done & got a new disc, before the test centers closed.

My question is this - how do I get a new disc with the September expiration date?

If I go back to the test center, will they reissue it? I'm reluctant to ring them & ask for one in case they realize their mistake & bring the expiration date back to what it should have been, May.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Evening all.

My 2020 NCT appointment was scheduled for March 30th 2020. (The NCT expired in May 2020.)

However, I got the test done just before the centers all closed around Paddy's Day. I never changed my appointment date. I just showed up 2 weeks early & asked nicely if they could fit me in early & they did. Drove away with my pass cert & new disc, which had the expiration date of May 2021, as it should have, if Covid never happened. It's an older car, so has to be tested yearly

So I just went to book it in for a test next month, presuming it expired in May. But it turns out my new expiration date is September. I got the 4 month Covid extension, even though I got the test done & got a new disc, before the test centers closed.

My question is this - how do I get a new disc with the September expiration date?

If I go back to the test center, will they reissue it? I'm reluctant to ring them & ask for one in case they realize their mistake & bring the expiration date back to what it should have been, May.

They won't give you an extended disc.

What I done when I had the extension but the actual disc on my windscreen was out, was I went onto the NCT site brought up my new renewal date, printed it out and left it the glove box of the car. The Guards are well aware of the situation & that is enough to show them if stopped.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Evening all.

They haven't made a mistake.
    FYI your new date is September but if you get a test at any date between your original date in may and new date in September, you will receive a new cert of 1 year from that date. To take advantage of the 4 month extension, you need to get a date as close to your September date as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Seve OB wrote: »
    They haven't made a mistake.
    FYI your new date is September but if you get a test at any date between your original date in may and new date in September, you will receive a new cert of 1 year from that date. To take advantage of the 4 month extension, you need to get a date as close to your September date as possible

Not completely accurate. To take advantage of the four-month extension, you need to get a date WITHIN 90 days of your September date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah, that's what I plan on doing. Do the 2021 test in mid June, so I can take advantage of the 4 month extension. I'd just like to have an up to date disc showing the current one expires in September, so that I'm sorted going thru Garda checkpoints between now & June. There are a lot of them out my way & I'd rather not have to rely on the Guards being in a good mood and/or exercising common sense.

Not completely accurate. To take advantage of the four-month extension, you need to get a date WITHIN 90 days of your September date.

I’m afraid not. My extended date is 12 February. I tried booking in the 90 day window but was getting an error so I rang them and was told that i could book in for December or whenever it was but i would only get a 1 year cert from the testing date as opposed being from 12 February.

I posted details further back in the thread at the time I called them.

This has been confirmed by the guys in my office who have tested numerous cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

My practical experience is at variance with the advice you got….

My wife’s car
    Pre covid expiry date: 04-10-2020
    Covid extension expiry date: 05-02-2021
    Date tested: 21/11/2020 which is 76 days before the actual expiry date.
    New NCT expiry date: 04-02-2022. That’s a 15 month (ish) NCT on a car over 10 years old.

I waited until today to make sure things hadn’t changed before posting this…

My car
    Pre covid expiry date: 04/01/2021
    Covid extension expiry date: 05/05/2021
    Date tested: 06/02/2021 (that’s today) which is 88 days before the actual expiry date.
    New NCT expiry date: 04-05-2022. That’s a 15 month NCT on a car over 10 years old.

When you say "I tried booking in the 90 day window but was getting an error", was this just....

WARNING! Your Vehicle is not due yet! If you continue to make a booking, it may fall under the voluntary early testing rules which will bring future test due dates forward.

...if it was go ahead, click the check box, and continue. Be absolutely sure you only accept a date that is WITHIN 90 days of the expiry date.

My practical experience is at variance with the advice you got….

My wife’s car
    Pre covid expiry date: 04-10-2020
    Covid extension expiry date: 05-02-2021
    Date tested: 21/11/2020 which is 76 days before the actual expiry date.
    New NCT expiry date: 04-02-2022. That’s a 15 month (ish) NCT on a car over 10 years old.

I waited until today to make sure things hadn’t changed before posting this…

My car
    Pre covid expiry date: 04/01/2021
    Covid extension expiry date: 05/05/2021
    Date tested: 06/02/2021 (that’s today) which is 88 days before the actual expiry date.
    New NCT expiry date: 04-05-2022. That’s a 15 month NCT on a car over 10 years old.

When you say "I tried booking in the 90 day window but was getting an error", was this just....

WARNING! Your Vehicle is not due yet! If you continue to make a booking, it may fall under the voluntary early testing rules which will bring future test due dates forward.

...if it was go ahead, click the check box, and continue. Be absolutely sure you only accept a date that is WITHIN 90 days of the expiry date.

yes the error was along those lines. and thats why i phoned them to ask for clarification.

i still haven't been tested, am booked in on the 16th

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This is also my experience and is the correct implementation of the four-month extension. The website just hasn't been updated properly to reflect the change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Do I just need to bring my driver’s license with me for the test? I haven’t had to do the nct in years

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement