Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best oven chips in retail?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Anything but those cheap sacks of cardboard own-brand Dunnes chips. Bought once to try, awful.

I really like those Aldi skin-ons. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Had those Aldi beef dripping skin on fries and they are very nice out of the airfryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

con747 wrote: »

I saw them, they're very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    They're very good though!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

For a good reason 👌ðŸ»

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Those Aldi ones are excellent. By far and a distance the best retail chips ive tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

Baggly wrote: »
    Those Aldi ones are excellent. By far and a distance the best retail chips ive tried.

which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

sporina wrote: »
    which ones?

Apologies! These ones:

Lor9Z6kLb6QnB9VKpjbp0j3Cavuuxd2iy92rSfCtLXu65rbAuds89PiO9Og

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭sully123

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258601752

I've switched to these. They tend not to be wasted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Honest chips in Aldi are nice and very like chipper chips. But iirc they cost 3.49 for 500g so buying a bag of chips from the chipper would be cheaper!

Another +1 here on Aldis skin on fries. Have yet to try the Lidl version but will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

begbysback wrote: »
    Cmon people, not again, keep the chips out of the air fryer

Why so?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

CWF wrote: »
    Proper chips by strong roots.

I tried these today, cooked in airfryer. They are OK, I prefer the McCain Home Fries.
    Honest chips from Aldi are good, but the amount of grease in the airfryer afterwards wasn't pleasant to clean.

got Honest chips today - v good on taste for sure.. would like them crispier.. i cudda kept them in the oven longer but the small ones wudda been cremated.. i'd also like the skin on.. but they are v v good.. super on flavour.. its gotta be the beef dripping... hmm.. must try ALDI skin on fries next but wud like if they wer chunkier.. still - delighted I got these.. the packaging is v snazzy.. €€ mayb but hey ho... covid times.. have extra €..

IMG-5488.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

got Honest chips today - v good on taste for sure.. would like them crispier.. i cudda kept them in the oven longer but the small ones wudda been cremated.. i'd also like the skin on.. but they are v v good.. super on flavour.. its gotta be the beef dripping... hmm.. I'd also like skin on.. must try ALDI skin on fries next but wud like if they wer chunkier.. still - delighted I got these.. the packaging is v snazzy.. €€ mayb but hey ho... covid times.. have extra €..

IMG-5488.jpg

Yeah, I finished my pack this evening (complete overdose on chips inspired by this thread, I'll be staying away for the foreseeable!) - at that price, they're a luxury, but a very good luxury. So that adds up to good value for me!

They really are very good when completely overcooked - I might investigate throwing the smallies into the tray later than the big ones next time, in the interests of not breaking a tooth on them!

Have you tried the beef dripping ones from Aldi yet? They're not bad at all.... need to be really well cooked as well, though, and the same problem arises....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yeah, I finished my pack this evening (complete overdose on chips inspired by this thread, I'll be staying away for the foreseeable!) - at that price, they're a luxury, but a very good luxury. So that adds up to good value for me!

They really are very good when completely overcooked - I might investigate throwing the smallies into the tray later than the big ones next time, in the interests of not breaking a tooth on them!

Have you tried the beef dripping ones from Aldi yet? They're not bad at all.... need to be really well cooked as well, though, and the same problem arises....

good idea on separating the chips size wise..

yes I had those at a mates house.. I know I liked them a lot - but can't remember them enough to compare them to these..

ALDI skin on next

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sully123 wrote: »
    https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258601752

I've switched to these. They tend not to be wasted
    those are a very good price for maris piper chips. I would give them 7/10. They are a bit hollow inside.
    DuffleBag wrote: »
    For a good reason ��ðŸ»
    Do you just mean they are nice, or do you think there is some high cost in producing them?
    good idea on separating the chips size wise..
    I separate before cooking, I pick handfuls of large chips out and if any small ones get in I throw them back in the bag. It can take 2 bags before you get enough small ones to do on their own. If I am doing mainly small ones and am stuck with a few big ones I will chop them up smaller, usually after they have cooked for a few mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AhhHere

Someone posted here not to cook oven chips in the air fryer. Anyone know why?

I found Lidls lattice chips very nice in mine. But the skin ones were underwhelming. Wondering if I a missing a trick

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I can only assume a) air fryers are fashionable and they are sick of hearing about them, b) they'd rather deepfry (which is fine for frying chips or potatoes but is massively underwhelming with an oven chip)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭con747

AhhHere wrote: »

I found Lidls lattice chips very nice in mine. But the skin ones were underwhelming. Wondering if I a missing a trick

I think the post you refer to is on the 4th May and the poster is not a regular poster in the food forum afaik so I doubt there is any logical reason. Also there is no logical reason not to cook oven chips in an air fryer! Yes cooking chips in a deep fryer is hands down tastier but not as healthy. I cook chips in both depending on my mood and what i'm eating with them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Super Valu do a beer battered chip now: https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/meat-poultry-prepared-by-our-butcher-beer-battered-chips-1-piece-/p-1735399000

Quite a filling chip and a nice crisp texture but not the healthiest I am sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I'm suddenly realising this may be why I never got results worth caring about with the air fryer. Ah well.
    House full of coeliacs, so we're limited in choice. Green Isle gluten free oven chips are the best option at the moment, unless cutting up the spuds ourselves.

Its surprising how many people don't realise that a lot of the oven chips, also the wedges you get at supermarket hot counters are coated in wheat flour. If you have any wheat allergies just be warned and read the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AhhHere wrote: »
    Though this thread is meant to be about oven chips they just said "chips"
    begbysback wrote: »
    Cmon people, not again, keep the chips out of the air fryer
    Tree wrote: »
    I can only assume a) air fryers are fashionable and they are sick of hearing about them, b) they'd rather deepfry (which is fine for frying chips or potatoes but is massively underwhelming with an oven chip)
    +1, I also wondered if there might have been some long thread in another forum, like after hours, like it's some sort of "in joke", due to the "not again" comment. Several people thanked that persons post so maybe they know, or if they agree can share why.

Back on chips I know the OP did not want skinny ones like McDonalds but others might, and the tesco skinny ones are decent, esp. from the airfryer. If you put lots in they definitely need a shake.

Decent price too €1.03 for 1.5kg
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=299598151

Tesco also have these "crispy potatoes" beside the roast potatoes.

They are small cubes of roast potatoes. If you put a big more oil on them they come out a bit like small chipper chips, the crispy small ones which I love to get (I know many would view them as duds or scraps)

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=282059833

Advertisement