Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sodastream

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

comput1 wrote: »
    Would you mind to PM me the email text as I’ve not got any instructions. Compressed gas- what could go wrong!

Pmme your email. There were pictures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BFP1001

So has anybody yet connected their sodastream directly to a large (eg 5KG) CO2 cylinder for long-term use? I'm curious about how to set that up, and how to control (if necessary) the pressure... thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hey All, this is a fantastic thread!

I got a Sodastream for christmas just assuming it would be a nice easy way to enjoy some cheaper less plasticy bubbles, after googling about replacement bottles i found this thread and im delighted i get to turn this into the perfect lock down 3 project that will make the whole thing even cheaper than i originally thought!

Anyway it looks like i have one of the newer valves on the one sodastream bottle that i have, can anyone confirm exactly what i need? As im not 100% if i need to replace this valve or if i can still attempt to just use the adapter from here https://www.co2-adapter.com/ by itself?

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BFP1001

I think that adaptor will work with either type of sodastream bottle valve. I have two different bottles (one with a wide, flat round pin and the other a small pin standing inside a hex-shaped cavity) and they both refill easily with the same adaptor. I read somewhere that one of them requires you to refill very slowly at first or the pressure will push back the pin and prevent refill.
    PS you can buy that same adaptor on Alibaba for much less, perhaps without the central pin. I found I didn't need any pin to refill my bottles.

Think i might actually go for this version https://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/sodastream-cylinder-refill-adapter-p520.html i like the pressure dial and the ability for the sodastream bottle to be vertical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Few questions if somebody could help, I have the SodaStream Cylinder Refilling Adapter from CO2 supermarket currently on there way to me in the post, but I'm in the process of sourcing a gas canister.

Looking at stargas.ie they have vendors all around Ireland, am I looking for a liquid or vapor canister? (from what I've learned its liquid but I wanted to be sure)
    Also, I take it that it has to be food grade CO2? - these https://www.stargas.ie/Gas/co2-gas ? (am thinking of going with maybe 20litre)

Finally, ideally, I take it that I'd want the canister to have a dip tube as this will save me turning it upside down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

Cabaal wrote: »
    Few questions if somebody could help, I have the SodaStream Cylinder Refilling Adapter from CO2 supermarket currently on there way to me in the post, but I'm in the process of sourcing a gas canister.

Looking at stargas.ie they have vendors all around Ireland, am I looking for a liquid or vapor canister? (from what I've learned its liquid but I wanted to be sure)
    Also, I take it that it has to be food grade CO2? - these https://www.stargas.ie/Gas/co2-gas ? (am thinking of going with maybe 20litre)

Finally, ideally, I take it that I'd want the canister to have a dip tube as this will save me turning it upside down.

I'm open to correction but I do believe it's liquid Co2 you want and definitely with a dip tube.

The pricing you linked to seems expensive to me both for the canister itself and the refills but then they look like a very professional and commercial outfit.

AJ Edge in Bray make and refill canisters as as an add-on to their business so aren't as slick (by a long way) compared to Stargas but are a small fraction of the price. IIRC a 5kg canister (with dip tube if you remember to ask) is €25 and a refill is €10.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

54and56 wrote: »
    AJ Edge in Bray make and refill canisters as as an add-on to their business so aren't as slick (by a long way) compared to Stargas but are a small fraction of the price. IIRC a 5kg canister (with dip tube if you remember to ask) is €25 and a refill is €10.

Oh I agree, they are certainly more expensive alright

But with the lockdown and the fact Bray would be 2hr drive my options are a little limited.

I'm curious how many refills could I expect out of a 10ltr/5kg canister... Roughly?

I'm curious how many refills could I expect out of a 10ltr/5kg canister... Roughly?

Each fill takes a max 435g of Co2 (assuming an empty cylinder) so a 5kg tank will in theory give you 11 fills.

Anecdotally I'd say I get 10 or 11 all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Oh I agree, they are certainly more expensive alright

But with the lockdown and the fact Bray would be 2hr drive my options are a little limited.

I'm in the exact same boat, I'm assuming the guys in Bray don't deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Ruairi.g

Does anyone know where I can walk in and buy a CO2 gas cylinder in or around Galway or Mayo!
    I see Harvey Norman stock them, but they have to be ordered in, Argos is by postage only!

I also see from this thread that people are refilling the canisters themselves, where can the larger canisters be got, to refill from! Is it the same gas used for lager??

Ruairi.g wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can walk in and buy a CO2 gas cylinder in or around Galway or Mayo!
    I see Harvey Norman stock them, but they have to be ordered in, Argos is by postage only!

I also see from this thread that people are refilling the canisters themselves, where can the larger canisters be got, to refill from! Is it the same gas used for lager??

I would assume so. Food grade CO2. Most people on this thread seem to be on the east coast and getting the large canisters from Bray.

Raoul wrote: »
    I would assume so. Food grade CO2. Most people on this thread seem to be on the east coast and getting the large canisters from Bray.

I’m sure if you have the proper adaptor, a friendly public an would help you out?

And...... anywhere in Galway that stocks the canisters? Or Mayo?

Raoul wrote: »

I’m sure if you have the proper adaptor, a friendly public an would help you out?

And...... anywhere in Galway that stocks the canisters? Or Mayo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've a sodastream arriving today. Very interested in using our own tank of CO2 for refills. We have a shed to store one but I've no idea what adaptor to get. This is the one I've ordered. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/food-and-drink-preparation/juicers-and-blenders/sodastream-spirit-sparkling-water-maker-black-10169772-pdt.html
    Any tips welcome or if anyone can confirm the hacks on this thread will work I'd be most grateful!

lazygal wrote: »
    I've a sodastream arriving today. Very interested in using our own tank of CO2 for refills. We have a shed to store one but I've no idea what adaptor to get. This is the one I've ordered. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/food-and-drink-preparation/juicers-and-blenders/sodastream-spirit-sparkling-water-maker-black-10169772-pdt.html
    Any tips welcome or if anyone can confirm the hacks on this thread will work I'd be most grateful!
    The hacks on the thread have been confirmed to work a good few times. Just order one of the adapters mentioned and if you are near Dublin, get onto ajedge in Bray to get your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement sodastream canister? I'm planning on doing refills but haven't gotten around to getting all the bits yet so just want to pick up a canister.

I'm in Galway if that helps. I looked at argos but can't seem to order them and I don't think they're open to go in these days?

theintern wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can pick up a replacement sodastream canister? I'm planning on doing refills but haven't gotten around to getting all the bits yet so just want to pick up a canister.

I'm in Galway if that helps. I looked at argos but can't seem to order them and I don't think they're open to go in these days?

I bought one off https://www.mccauley.ie/ last week they are delivering too

Ah nice one. I tried that site before and it crashed on me, but worked today. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Anyone find out if AJ Edge deliver? Or walk in only?

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Anyone find out if AJ Edge deliver? Or walk in only?

Having been out to them a few times I can't imagine they offer a delivery service for CO2 top ups etc.

Their main business is Fire Extinguishers. I get the impression they do CO2 canister conversions and top ups for a bit of canteen money more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

I'm open to correction but I do believe it's liquid Co2 you want and definitely with a dip tube.

The pricing you linked to seems expensive to me both for the canister itself and the refills but then they look like a very professional and commercial outfit.

Update:
    The first canister is now 50€ I’m not sure about refills...

comput1 wrote: »
    Update:
    The first canister is now 50€ I’m not sure about refills...

Yeah, I think I was incorrect about the €25.

Refills are €10 or maybe €15. I can't actually recall as I've only done one refill thus far a few months ago.

Hi all.

So I went off and ordered my CO2 tank, and simultaneously ordered the adapter that I thought I would need here:

https://www.co2-adapter.de/adapter2/

Unfortunately for me , the connection on the CO2 tank has an inside thread, as does the adapter, so I can't connect them. I've attached an image so you can see the dilemma...

The inside thread on the tank connection, does not match my soda stream cannisters' thread, so attaching them directly to the tank without the adapter doesn't work.

The tank I ordered is this one from stargas:

https://www.stargas.ie/co2-gas/star-co2-liquid

I've got back in touch with them and but didn't get far. They said that all of their tanks have the same connection and "others have had the same problems" as myself when it comes to soda stream refilling, but no solution suggested.

So has any one else faced a similar challenge? At the moment it looks like my only option is to return the tank to stargas and get another one from someone else with a different connection on top of the tank that matches the adapter.

Any help/advice would be great.

Hi all.

So I went off and ordered my CO2 tank, and simultaneously ordered the adapter that I thought I would need here:

https://www.co2-adapter.de/adapter2/

Unfortunately for me , the connection on the CO2 tank has an inside thread, as does the adapter, so I can't connect them. I've attached an image so you can see the dilemma...

The inside thread on the tank connection, does not match my soda stream cannisters' thread, so attaching them directly to the tank without the adapter doesn't work.

The tank I ordered is this one from stargas:

https://www.stargas.ie/co2-gas/star-co2-liquid

I've got back in touch with them and but didn't get far. They said that all of their tanks have the same connection and "others have had the same problems" as myself when it comes to soda stream refilling, but no solution suggested.

So has any one else faced a similar challenge? At the moment it looks like my only option is to return the tank to stargas and get another one from someone else with a different connection on top of the tank that matches the adapter.

Any help/advice would be great.

Only solution I can think of is finding out from stargas what kind of threading is used on their tank then looking for some kind of a male to male adapter that matches the stargas threading to the co2 adapter threading, if such a thing exists at all is another question though.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Only solution I can think of is finding out from stargas what kind of threading is used on their tank then looking for some kind of a male to male adapter that matches the stargas threading to the co2 adapter threading, if such a thing exists at all is another question though.

Thanks for that VinLieger.

Unfortunately I'm at a dead end here. Stargas not too knowledgeable about the whole topic of connections and adapters, so looks like I'll be returning their tank for a refund.

I'm really struggling to find another company that sells food grade CO2 tanks online. Has anyone managed this?
    Going to Bray just isn't an option at the mo as I'm in Waterford.

Maybe I'm just internetting googley badly...

Unfortunately I'm at a dead end here. Stargas not too knowledgeable about the whole topic of connections and adapters, so looks like I'll be returning their tank for a refund.

I'm really struggling to find another company that sells food grade CO2 tanks online. Has anyone managed this?

Nope, I have the gas cylinder, I got it in Bray. I need a refill but not sure how to go about it either as I am technically not allowed travel to Bray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭con747

AFAIK Aquariums use the same gas, maybe try some local pet shops or some garden centres sell them as well. Open to correction on this though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    AFAIK Aquariums use the same gas, maybe try some local pet shops or some garden centres sell them as well. Open to correction on this though.

Seahorse Aquariums offer CO2 cylinders and refills, see https://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Blau-CO2-3L/7396

They are great guys to deal with (they built a 600L Cichlid tank for me) but I don't use them for CO2 as my tank doesn't need it.

They'll be more expensive than AJ Edge for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 alexander11

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on this. I drink about 1.5-2l of sparkling water every day and you can imagine the plastic bottles add up. Even though they're being recycled it still doesn't feel great. A friend of mine has a SodaStream machine and I absolutely love it. I'd like to get one for myself as well. The only downside I see to it is the expensive refills ... thankfully I found this forum. He doesn't drink that much and one refill lasts him about 3 weeks
    • I kept seeing around the co2 adapter from Germany which costs about 50 euro. I see similar ones for about 10 euro on aliexpress; has anyone ordered from there? If so, how did you find them?
    • Also, what type of cylinder would you recommend and what size? I saw quite a variety of cylinders mentioned. Do you have any recommendations on what to buy?
    • I live in midlands, so I would have to travel up to Dublin to fill up the cylinder, what companies are the easiest to deal with?

Thank you !

Hi all,

I'd like some advice on this. I drink about 1.5-2l of sparkling water every day and you can imagine the plastic bottles add up. Even though they're being recycled it still doesn't feel great. A friend of mine has a SodaStream machine and I absolutely love it. I'd like to get one for myself as well. The only downside I see to it is the expensive refills ... thankfully I found this forum. He doesn't drink that much and one refill lasts him about 3 weeks
    • I kept seeing around the co2 adapter from Germany which costs about 50 euro. I see similar ones for about 10 euro on aliexpress; has anyone ordered from there? If so, how did you find them?
    • Also, what type of cylinder would you recommend and what size? I saw quite a variety of cylinders mentioned. Do you have any recommendations on what to buy?
    • I live in midlands, so I would have to travel up to Dublin to fill up the cylinder, what companies are the easiest to deal with?

Thank you !

Genuinely not being a d1ck. All these questions are answered fairly in depth. Even within the last few posts, I think.

If you are getting sodastream, definitely get the adapter and the cylinder. It is a gamechanger really in terms of waste and also cost. Probably about 20/30 times cheaper.

Hi all,

Thank you !

AJ Edge in Bray (https://goo.gl/maps/DpLxCyqDZHvv6Ln3A) are a fire extinguisher servicing company. They convert used fire extinguisher cylinders into CO2 cylinders. I forget what they charge for the initial cylinder and a fill of CO2, IIRC it's about €45 and the one I got from them has "5 - 5.8KG" stamped on it which I think refers to the amount of liquid gas it can hold.

From my experience with them they do this as a bit of a nixer so don't expect a polished retail type service. You can call ahead and see if they'll prep one for you given the trip you'd be making. I live in South Dublin so it's only a 10 minute spin for me but I've had to wait up to half an hour for them to get round to doing a refill for me. Not complaining, it's just they have more important priorities so be patient.

I've always paid them in cash, not sure they accept credit cards.

If you're getting a cylinder from them ask them to include a "dip tube". This makes refilling a lot easier, saves having to turn the cylinder upside down.

I can't remember what the refills cost, I think it's €10 or €15 but I'm sure someone who's done it recently will confirm.

I too drink 1-2L of sparkling water a day so I've 3 Sodastream cylinders which I fill in one go.

When refilling always bring the donor cylinder (the one from AJ Edge) into a warm environment a few hours before refilling and place the empty Sodastream cylinders in a freezer for a few hours before refilling as the greater the temperature difference between the donor and Sodastream cylinders the greater the amount refilled into the Sodastream cylinder will be.

I get about 3-4 weeks out of a refilled Sodastream cylinder and I'm guessing I get about 10-11 Sodastream refills out of the donor cylinder.

There must be other fire extinguisher servicing companies around the country who could do this but don't as no one has asked them.

Could be worth Googling your local area and just calling to ask. If you don't ask...............

I was waiting to have a bit more info before posting, but currently I'm failing to get a tank of CO2 online.
    I'm in Waterford so going to Bray not an option for me at the mo.

Got a 10L delivered from stargas in Limerick, and the connection at the top of their tank was incompatible (and I have the €50 adapter from Germany) so had to return that. (and they specifically mentioned afterwards that others have had the same issue, can't connect the soda stream cannisters to their CO2 tanks by any means)

Contacted the seahorseaquarium guys who were helpful but currently out of stock of CO2 tanks. And even at that they're not optimistic that the German adapter is the correct one for connecting to their tanks.

If anyone else has any suggestions about ordering a CO2 tank online please share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

I was waiting to have a bit more info before posting, but currently I'm failing to get a tank of CO2 online.
    I'm in Waterford so going to Bray not an option for me at the mo.

Got a 10L delivered from stargas in Limerick, and the connection at the top of their tank was incompatible (and I have the €50 adapter from Germany) so had to return that. (and they specifically mentioned afterwards that others have had the same issue, can't connect the soda stream cannisters to their CO2 tanks by any means)

Contacted the seahorseaquarium guys who were helpful but currently out of stock of CO2 tanks. And even at that they're not optimistic that the German adapter is the correct one for connecting to their tanks.

If anyone else has any suggestions about ordering a CO2 tank online please share.
    https://brownefireprotection.ie/ try them that are driving everyday to Waterford I think would deliver to your door probobly very friendly guys. Got lot of co2 from them cheap as well.

Was onto AJ edge last week and again today, seems they are out of valves and wont have them for at least another 10 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

can someone please tell me if this will work to have the guys at AJ fill my canister ?

Adapter -

thanks

I don’t think AJ would fill a Sodastream canister - it’s too small a quantity to be worth their time, they usually supply larger bottles so you can fit yourself a few times.. is that what you mean?

RobAMerc wrote: »
    can someone please tell me if this will work to have the guys at AJ fill my canister ?

Adapter -

thanks

they said they would ( told my wife ), but I am happy to buy a large canister. Either way I need to buy an adapter. Does this one work ?

they said they would ( told my wife ), but I am happy to buy a large canister. Either way I need to buy an adapter. Does this one work ?

Ah ok. That’s good news.

The one I got had options for cga320(USA) or w218 (EU)
    I went with the W218 and that connects to the AJ canister I got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 volker81k

Hi all,

I have been following the board for a while. Thanks for the information provided here.
    As @kuang1, I live too far away from Galway or Dublin to use the suggest suppliers.

Has anyone tried BOC as a source for CO2? I couldn't get in contact with them yet to confirm whether their cylinder comes with a male thread. I'll let you know what the story is.

I have been in contact with CO2 Adapter and they told me, that there are thoughts of making a batch of adapters with male thread, which would fit the CO2 sold by StarGas for example. This batch is planned for mid May.

• Advertisement

Quick update on my post above:
    The BOC cylinder has a female thread as well. That means waiting for CO2-Adapter to have the parts made in May.

BOC price for a 34kg bottle is currently €71.46, which brings the refill down to €1 ish. That'll do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

volker81k wrote: »
    The BOC cylinder has a female thread as well. That means waiting for CO2-Adapter to have the parts made in May.

BOC price for a 34kg bottle is currently €71.46, which brings the refill down to €1 ish. That'll do :)

Out of interest, did they quote that price to you or did you find it online? I was having a look on BOC before and the yearly rental for a cannister that size was around €130 ex vat, plus whatever the cost of the gas was

jimmy86 wrote: »
    Out of interest, did they quote that price to you or did you find it online?

I found it online. Thanks for the hint. I must have a detailed look into their pricing system when/if that new adapter becomes available.

volker81k wrote: »

I'd double check that volker81k, the AJ supplied (converted) canisters are 5kg (that's their internal capacity) and are sizeable enough i.e. large / industrial fire extinguisher. I can't imagine one person being able to manoeuvre / carry a canister with 7 times the capacity!!

I reckon the price you saw was the price to refill not the price to buy the canister and IIRC BOC don't "sell" canisters, they rent them annually so you are tied into their network for refills etc. Similar to how gas BBQ cylinders work, you pay an initial deposit (€75 IIRC) to get a full cylinder then it's €37.50 a refill after that but you never actually own the cylinder, you keep swapping empty's for full ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I can't imagine one person being able to manoeuvre / carry a canister with 7 times the capacity!!
    You can get custom trolleys

377167.jpg

Or people can roll them, not down on the ground, the hold them at a slight tilt and roll along

rubadub wrote: »
    You can get custom trolleys

377167.jpg

Or people can roll them, not down on the ground, the hold them at a slight tilt and roll along

Fair play, I guess if you were really ploughing through carbonated water/drinks and/or getting a refill was a major undertaking a cylinder that size might make sense.

The 5kg I get from AJ Edge lasts me over 6 months at an average of 1.5 to 2 litres of carbonated water per day.

€20 a year for all the carbonated water I like to drink and no plastic bottles clogging up the recycling bin is a win win for me.

I reckon the price you saw was the price to refill not the price to buy the canister and IIRC BOC don't "sell" canisters, they rent them annually so you are tied into their network for refills etc.

You could be right there. jimmy86 said the same.
    At the end it's all down to the adapter. If there will be an adapter with male thread even StarGas is interesting again, and they do 6.5kg cylinders.

Although the cylinder spinning skills from that YouTube guy are inspiring :D

I am now totally confused - Does anyone know if this one or this one is useful for the gas canisters sold by AJ Edge please ?

Both are TR21-4 which I believe is correct for the soda bottle - but I am unsure if it should be the W21.8 fitting or the G1/2 fitting for the canister

Anyone here able to help me out ?

TIA

I am now totally confused - Does anyone know if this one or this one is useful for the gas canisters sold by AJ Edge please ?

Both are TR21-4 which I believe is correct for the soda bottle - but I am unsure if it should be the W21.8 fitting or the G1/2 fitting for the canister

Anyone here able to help me out ?

TIA

I'm pretty sure it's the W21.8 fitting you want. The adapter and spare Sodastream canisters I got are from (https://www.co2-adapter.de/adapter2/) but don't have the W21.8 marking on them however the valve on my AJ Edge supplied 5KG cylinder has W21.8 stamped into it.

jmWCdDU.jpg

For those of you who haven't taken the plunge yet, I was in Harvey Norman the other day in Galway, and they do the Sodastream canister replacement too (21 euro). Bring your old one and get a new one. Not sure how they can open when Argos can't, but it's an option if you're stuck.

Going to get all the gear for self refill soon but for now I'm still paying the sodastream tax :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement