Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elite: Dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Wossack wrote: »
    game worth getting with no head tracking gubbins, or Rift etc? seems to scream out for it, with the interfaces to the left and right for common operations

have an x52pro, so maybe can go key maping crazy

I don't have any`fancy head tracking gear (yes I wish I did)..
    Still love it. Default setup allows you to quickly navigate around the screen anyway using 1, 2, 3 keys.

Might invest in tracking gear eventually but too expensive to warrant the investment right now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Glebee

Any suggestions for a cheap and cheerfull stick setup for this????
    Getting by with mouse and keyboard ok at the moment but tempted....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Glebee wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a cheap and cheerfull stick setup for this????
    Getting by with mouse and keyboard ok at the moment but tempted....

I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I love it. Cheap enough off Amazon. Took only a little configuring to set it up the way I wanted.

The general controls along with the hat switch for thrusters make it perfect for getting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Noxin wrote: »
    I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro and I love it. Cheap enough off Amazon. Took only a little configuring to set it up the way I wanted.

The general controls along with the hat switch for thrusters make it perfect for getting around.

Nice one, that's what I've got, good to know it works, now I just need Voice Attack, & a PS3 camera for head tracking....and buy the game when it comes out:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I'm still waiting for my x52 pro to arrive. Have been using mouse and keyboard for the moment.

While its a bitch to use it is playable, when your not crashing into the inside of space stations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I didn't find using a keyboard and mouse to be all that bad. In fact, I found it to be help in combat a lot more than when using a standard joystick, as I had more control over the accuracy. That said, I picked up an X-55 and that's the mutts nuts, and I won't be going back to K&M. But I did find it handy having all the controls right at my fingers (especially when switching to your side panels).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Well, I cracked. Downloading now.

While I'm pondering the merits of a joystick, has anyone tried controlling it with something like a XBox360 gamepad?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just started playing this last night, using the Hotas X which feels pretty decent for the price. Only had time for the first two missions but I can tell I'm going to get hooked (once I learn how to fly properly!). Will try pop on the gaellords TS at some stage and say hello, get some tips from the seasoned pros. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

humanji wrote: »
    I didn't find using a keyboard and mouse to be all that bad. In fact, I found it to be help in combat a lot more than when using a standard joystick, as I had more control over the accuracy. That said, I picked up an X-55 and that's the mutts nuts, and I won't be going back to K&M. But I did find it handy having all the controls right at my fingers (especially when switching to your side panels).

That's what your head is for. :P

• Advertisement

Found the gamepad far too lacking in precision for even a one-on-one dogfight with AI. Mouse/keyboard has proven much better, especially for lining up a shot, although still a bit awkward. I'd say missiles would help a whole lot, but with the rate of pirate interdictions I've been experiencing I just don't get to trade enough to be able to afford a launcher.

Still, it's not dampening my enthusiasm for the game. It's staggeringly pretty, and I don't think I will ever get tired of the hyperdrive jump visuals. I have a couple of friends in the beta, I'll try hooking up with them this weekend and see if we can't make some credits more easily on pirate bounties or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Have my joystick for a little while now and have to see its a much better experience then mouse and keyboard.

Only been hauling so far just to get the money up, Haven't had many interdictions while hauling. It can get a bit boring sometimes as its a bit quiet where I am.

But then that's the joy of space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

anyone hear when the next wipe will happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Just got the Elite: Dangerous Newsletter #40
    Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition Pre-order Digital Bonus
    We are announcing today that the price of the final release of Elite: Dangerous will be £39.99 ($59.99 and €49.99).

We are also announcing a special pre-order digital pack, the Elite: Dangerous Mercenary Edition, which is a bonus pre-order game collection loaded with digital extras.

The pack is available on our store today for new customers at a discounted price off the final release of £35.00 ($50 and €40) plus the addition of the Mercenary Pack extras. Anyone who has already pre-ordered the final release version of Elite: Dangerous (including of course Alpha, Premium Beta and Beta participants) will also receive the bonus pre-order collection when the game is released.

We are hugely appreciative of all of you who have shown us support, either backing the game through the Alpha and Beta phases or pre-ordering the game prior to the release. Without you the game would not be at the stage it is today. This collection is our way of rewarding your support before we put out our final release.

As well as a digital download copy of the game, the pack will contain:

- An additional Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location
    - Exclusive pack of ship paint jobs
    - A day one ship decal
    - A digital players guide
    - A digital concept art book
    - Plus additional in-game benefits and other digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks

Nice, having a collection of ships will be handy.

Eurogamer: Elite: Dangerous' original budget was £8m
    Sandbox spaceship game Elite: Dangerous may have only - only! - raised £1.58m ($2.5m) on Kickstarter, but that was just a fraction of the original budget.

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8m," David Braben - the man in charge - told me at Gamescom. And, he added, "it's grown by quite a lot".
    In mid-August when we spoke, more than 75,000 people were playing the Elite: Dangerous beta, providing "more and more money that moves ever closer to the game breaking even in a really good way".
    The "very disciplined" and "logical" development of the game, according to Braben, has meant it can feel a bit empty at the moment.

"I liken it to building a house," he remarked. "We built the foundations, we built the walls, we plastered it, we put the roof on. We're now putting the furniture in, but it's an empty house."

Elite: Dangerous' roadmap to release "hasn't changed" and it's "on track" for end-of-2014. "By the end of this year we will have the finished game," he declared. "It will be released."

That's the PC version.
    Will there be a console version?

"Obviously it's something we've thought about," he answered. "We're a game developer who's done a lot of console games and we just announced another one here at Gamescom [Screamride]. The point is, we're a big company, and our tools and technology are very mature. We did Zoo Tycoon [Xbox One, Xbox 360] last year and it's the same technology we're using for this. It would be silly for us not to consider console.

"But the important thing is I don't want it to disrupt development of Elite. We are doing the best game we can on PC and then we will look at console."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Events were added to the latest update. Apparently we will find out on Friday what it is about but it seems to be realted to Elite's 30th anniversary: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=41161

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

So do they plan to have the single player game for launch, or is that going to be down the line? Actually, do they have an actual road-map type diagram anywhere?

Single player is already available. It's called Solo play. This means that you will never meet another human player but the galaxy trade prices are affected by others. There is no clear roadmap but here is a list of features:
    http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=431507#post431507

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is there an actual story though, or is it just solo trading/exploring?

There are different factions at play and you will be able to advance through military ranks on any of the factions by doing military missions. There are also injected events: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7561

There is no linear story with levels to complete but there is a background story that will evolve such as the Eranin faction's fight with the federation. Basically the game's main appeal is in being a huge sandbox where you can do what you want.

• Advertisement

Beta 2 to be released on Sept 30th, link. :)

DAT ICE RING

Some Beta 2 gameplay footage, the first 13 mins approx, after that there's a Q&A session. Due out tomorrow. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

cant wait till tomorrows update, excited!

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

Yeah looking forward to getting back into this especially now that it will have better Oculus Rift support. Back up your bindings folder just in case: %LocalAppData%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just had a quick dip in this morning, seems to be alot of changed. had left my ship docked inside a staion and on loading found myself in a completely redesigned station. One with an external deck if you know what I mean..
    Menus all appear to be tweeked but only had a very quick look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Slot Machine

The UI! Oh my goodness the UI is gorgeous!

It was nice before but undeniably utilitarian but this... Everything is so much softer. Really looking forward to sitting down to it for a bit later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Just hangs at the menu for me, boo

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

I had a brief stint in multiplayer before I lost connection and then after that even the menus were a bit juddery. It suited me fine though as I needed the time to map some new keybinds and just getting back into using the joystick, throttle, joypad and rift together lol

When it did work it worked great so hopefully they'll have the network problems sorted soon

dat UI

It seems the framerate has dipped for me since the update, I may have to un-pretty the game a bit to get it back to acceptable levels. :(

• Advertisement

For those who don't browse the Frontier forums and who are having issues, they're aware and have been working on it since last night. The patch should be out "late afternoon or early evening" today. Afraid I can't link due to less than fifty posts.

Also, I tried out some of the tutorial missions last night since I was one of the many who couldn't connect. The waves of enemies was a real test; was destroyed by the Cobra.

Since then I've been locking up on the main menu but hey, you've got to admire their dedication in pumping out fixes.

For those who don't browse the Frontier forums and who are having issues, they're aware and have been working on it since last night. The patch should be out "late afternoon or early evening" today. Afraid I can't link due to less than fifty posts.

Also, I tried out some of the tutorial missions last night since I was one of the many who couldn't connect. The waves of enemies was a real test; was destroyed by the Cobra.

Since then I've been locking up on the main menu but hey, you've got to admire their dedication in pumping out fixes.

Here's the link:
    Good morning, Cmdrs

Thanks again for playing Elite: Dangerous and helping us test the game. Work on Beta 2.03 continued deep into the night, and the team is working hard to get everyone back into the game.

This has been an essential test before launch, and one we couldn't have pulled it off without so many testers playing the game at once, so thank you all.

Please keep logging any issues by filling out a ticket because every one helps, and expect Beta 2.03 by the late afternoon or early evening today.

Hopefully 2.03 sorts out the server issues for those of us that can't play online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Well, 30 years since I played the original on my trusty Spectrum 48K (with added Lenslok anti-piracy device that I partly blame for my shortsightedness), I went ahead and invested in the new beta today.

Very impressed so far, plays quite well even on my 2 year old PC, using a 650Ti boost GPU. It really has managed to capture the spirit of the original. I even dug out my old Extreme 3D Pro that had been thrown down the back of the wardrobe and that worked first time. Bit of a learning curve initially but loving every minute so far. The developers are working hard to sort out issues with the present build, I got online without any issues.

This game has fantastic potential, the space sim is back. Voice Attack to be installed next, Occulus Rift on the horizon, things are looking up.

Running great for me last night as well until I entered a really busy system so I guess the netcode isnt fully there yet. The enhancements for the couljus rift DK2 are awesome. Enabling SMAA for AA looks great and keeps my FPS at the steady 75 needed. 4770k/GTX780

My frame rate issues seem to have gone. It was gorgeous before beta 2, it's stunning now.

Not sure if the job pricing is quite right though, I took 2 jobs delivering to Morgor at once and essentially made thirty grand on 2 canisters of food, 1 trip. I hope the next update is a good while away, I want the chance to actually spend this cash...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

:pac:

I have a i2500k and 7870HD. Both OCed.

Wonder how it will cope on my machine? (I can run Arma 3 on high settings at a steady 50fps.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I tried this out at the Eurogamer Expo last week and loved it. I almost bought it the minute I returned home but held off because my good lady wife was already frowning at the overspend I committed while I was away. After reading about the new updates though, I think I'll be pulling the trigger on it this weekend. Just out of curiosity, how many of you are playing with regular keyboard and mouse as opposed to joystick/throttle type setups?

Thankfully 2.03 let me get back online (once I had cleared my save). Managed to put in a bit of time last night, looks even better than before. Was quite laggy for me entering/exiting supercruise but other than that pretty good, no crashes at least.

I didn't get to spend a huge amount of time playing 1.x but the flight controls definitely feel different with the recent changes - I see there's a poll on this to gauge people's opinion, link. What to other folks who've been playing it a long time thing about the FAoff changes? I'm still pretty rubbish at flight but found FAoff very handy in dog fights to corner sharper - now it's very slow. More time needed to get used to the new mechanics I guess.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how many of you are playing with regular keyboard and mouse as opposed to joystick/throttle type setups?

I held off playing it until I got a joystick/throttle combo, picked up this Hotas X jobbie, cheap compared to the Rhino or Warthog. Would only use the kb/mouse for game menu or zooming about the galaxy map.

• Advertisement

I tried mouse/keyboard, XB360 pad and joystick borrowed from nesf, and yeah, I'll be getting a joystick/throttle of my own for this. Just much more intuitive and handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Someone posted it here before, so it'll have been lost in a mass of posts since, but there was a post in the official Elite forums with a code for a bit of a discount off an X-55 HOTAS: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.php?p=404257&postcount=335

It's where I got mine and I love it so much!!!!

I've been looking at getting one of these. Thrustmaster-T-16000M Absolute noob when it comes to joysticks so not sure whats good.

I do know I'm not paying over 60 quid for one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

humanji wrote: »
    Someone posted it here before, so it'll have been lost in a mass of posts since, but there was a post in the official Elite forums with a code for a bit of a discount off an X-55 HOTAS: http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showpost.php?p=404257&postcount=335

It's where I got mine and I love it so much!!!!

That deal seems to be gone, when I put that code into the Farnell basket, it says there is no product to match the code. However, the X-55 is now "only" £141 so that's why the code doesn't work anymore. Thanks for linking anyway!

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting one of these. Thrustmaster-T-16000M Absolute noob when it comes to joysticks so not sure whats good.

I do know I'm not paying over 60 quid for one :pac:

I bought that joystick recently and it's nice enough. I have used it with Flight Sim X, but I'm waiting for Elite to be released. There are horrible green leds at the base of the stick and it spoils the show as you get the green reflection from your monitor. If you have a glossy screen it will drive you crazy. Having said that, I want to work out a way to have the stick on my lap as it would be more comfortable to use in that position, and the leds wouldn't be such a problem. You can dismantle the base and cut a wire to kill the leds but it would probably void the warranty. having said all that the stick is very accurate, and the movement arc is very large so you get a lot of subtle control. People have complained the buttons are a bit mushy but I think they are fine for the price. The throttle doesn't slide a very large distance, but it is sensitive and works fine, so I'm going to stick with it unless I come across a bargain throttle. I got it on Amazon for 41 Euro a month ago and I think it's great value for that price. The resale value should be good as its one of the only cheap joysticks on the market that you can configure for left or right handed use. One last thing is it is compatible with Thrustmasters TARGET software which gives a vast amount of configurable control over the joystick, and that is very cool. It's a bit daunting to use but very comprehensive.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    That deal seems to be gone, when I put that code into the Farnell basket, it says there is no product to match the code. However, the X-55 is now "only" £141 so that's why the code doesn't work anymore. Thanks for linking anyway!

Bear in mind it's £170 when you add the VAT (free shipping with Parcel Motel maybe?) but that's still cheaper than the £200 price tag on Amazon. It's only ED that I'm using a flightstick for so will hold off a while before spending serious money on an upgrade. Might be newer versions out by then too. :)

• Advertisement

Sometimes it feels like I'm the only person in the entire world who uses KB+M in this. I've never used a HOTAS for any kind of flight-based games (mostly because I don't play flight sims) so I can't say if it's any worse than such a setup but I've certainly had no problems.

Also, I must praise the sound design again. It feels as if with each iteration it just gets better and better. Little things like the sound of the landing pad's hydraulics being muffled and the station announcements turning muffled when you go down into the hangar are nice. But then, coming out of supercruise in an Eagle had been floored by the roar (and I mean roar) of the engines as they slowed down.

The explosions sound meatier, too and look better.

Now, if I can just get the cash together for an OR...

a load of insight
    Yea, currently €50 today :/

I'll keep my eye on it.

Elite(aka €40) is expected to be out in Dec or will they push it on?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Elite(aka €40) is expected to be out in Dec or will they push it on?

They seem determined to release it this year anyway, and I think there's going to be a Gamma release before the final version.

With the amount of new features they put into Beta 2 and the subsequent issues on release, I got the impression they didn't get enough testing done by sticking to the 30th release date (three fixes in two days...). Personnally I'd prefer them not giving fixed release dates or pushing out dates if it means less issues.

Make that 4 fixes in as many days, 2.04 due later today. Not sure what this is release is addressing but fair play to them for keeping on top of the issues.

There was an issue with beta 2 where the server booted people within ten minutes of starting up for no reason, I hope it's that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement