Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2020 US Presidential Election (aka: The Trump Coronation)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That's what propaganda has traditionally been called. Truth with a capital T. Or in Russia's case, a capital P.

There was no Pravda in Pravda and no Vestna in Vestna.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

Who’s in charge of the USA?

As has been explained to you, the US system essentially means states are near autonomous. At the beginning of this, even when Italy was clearly suffering, Democrats were running the show in New York and urging business as usual.

This is why illegal immigration is illegal according to US law, but Democrat states have created sanctuary cities for illegals.

You might recall Democrats criticising Trump for banning Chinese tourists once it was clear there was a major problem in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PyreOfHellfire

It's a good thing a pandemic level virus has to adhere to states rights when devastating a country. Clearly has nothing to do with the federal government or the President of that country. Next thing Trump apologists will be telling us is the federal government has nothing to do with governing the entire countries response. Like Brexiteers claiming the EU are stealing their fish despite fish not having nationalities...

This is the kind of satire that Monty Python could have written yet we have some eejits on here trying to defend it with a straight face. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

As has been explained to you, the US system essentially means states are near autonomous. At the beginning of this, even when Italy was clearly suffering, Democrats were running the show in New York and urging business as usual.

This is why illegal immigration is illegal according to US law, but Democrat states have created sanctuary cities for illegals.

You might recall Democrats criticising Trump for banning Chinese tourists once it was clear there was a major problem in China.

Just answer the question.
    Who is in charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

If we've learned anything from this epidemic about American politics it's that democrats and republicans alike are nothing more than corporate stooges. Pushing the agenda of consumerism still when we knew how dangerous this was. Few are innocent and many have blood on their hands.

Scientific literature has been warning about something like this for decades and the ineptitude of their preparedness and response amounts to at minimum gross negligence. From Obama decimating the supplies to Trump not replenishing them both administrations are guilty.

Democrats guilting people into attending Chinese new year by calling them racists if they don't and Trump telling people the number of infections are going down are offences that amount to enormous body counts.

The argument that the states have a lot autonomy is correct. How else can states have allowed for Marijuana since it is still a federal crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

rossie1977 wrote: »

I follow Tammy on Twitter for the laughs.
    Not from California, lives there, but is forever complaining about it.

They should all be sued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,582 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are so utterly shameless they will just deny they said it, just like the large Orange man.

It's scary the mass level of stupidity that laps that stuff up over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭weisses

notobtuse wrote: »
    Trump's not king. We have a thing called state's rights.

Perhaps Trump should have arrested de Blasio and Pelosi for their actions that most probably contributed highly to the outbreaks in their states (and in NJ coming from NY, but the idiot democrat governor of NJ sat on his laurels and ignored the problem). I’m SUUUURRRREEEE you would have been just dandy with that.

My state of Pennsylvania is probably next to get hardest hit. Our own democrat idiot governor issued an order for most businesses to close and a stay at home and shelter inside order for our citizens.

Maybe you and your loved ones should listen more carefully to Trump and take his advice regarding hydroxychloroquin "What do you have to lose? Take it. I really think they should take it ... try it, if you'd like."

Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

They should all be sued.

They are:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8187883/Fox-News-sued-willfully-maliciously-deceiving-public-dangers-coronavirus.html

zWAciKd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Boggles wrote: »
    They are so utterly shameless they will just deny they said it, just like the large Orange man.

It's scary the mass level of stupidity that laps that stuff up over there.

And the liberals? What of them? They all took the coronavirus as seriously as it should have been?

Jan 29th: The Trump Administration set up the Coronavirus Taskforce to monitor and contain the spread of the virus. The next day CNN's focus was on how it was too white:

https://twitter.com/cnnpolitics/status/1222964716320018436

Jan 31st: The Trump Administration declared the coronavirus a public health emergency and announced travel restrictions to and from China and the response was accusations of racism & hysterical fear mongering, of course:

https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/status/1223414098614018057?lang=en

And a few articles from the same time period similarly suggesting that racism was the real motivating factor behind the travel restrictions (despite, as we now know, it being Dr. Fauci that requested that the be put in place):
    nyt1-1.png
    nyt1-2.png
    nyt1-3.png
    nyt2-1.png
    nyt2-2.png
    nyt2-3.png

Then, just as you had with many on the right, there was similarly many on the left who suggesting that the situation wasn't as bad as some were saying and that in particular social distancing was not needed at all, and in fact openly encouraged it:

https://twitter.com/foramerica/status/1245527322301796353
    https://twitter.com/billdeblasio/status/1234648718714036229
    https://twitter.com/MarkLevineNYC/status/1226566648729133056
    rossie1977 wrote: »

And I guess here's the liberal version:

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/1245385767729463297

The sanctimony coming from the left over the last while is incredulous. They, as ever, are attempting to rewrite history and suggest that they took the threat of coronavirus serious from the get-go while their counterparts did not, and that's about as gross a misrepresentation of what has gone on as you're likely to see. The truth is that there were many on BOTH sides of the political divide who made stupid remarks and who now have egg on their face. This should be something which people should be above using to as a tool to try and gain political advantage but alas evidently it is clearly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And the liberals? What of them? They all took the coronavirus as seriously as it should have been?

Jan 29th: The Trump Administration set up the Coronavirus Taskforce to monitor and contain the spread of the virus. The next day CNN's focus was on how it was too white:

Jan 31st: The Trump Administration declared the coronavirus a public health emergency and announced travel restrictions to and from China and the response was accusations of racism & hysterical fear mongering, of course:

And a few articles from the same time period similarly suggesting that racism was the real motivating factor behind the travel restrictions (despite, as we now know, it being Dr. Fauci that requested that the be put in place):

Then, just as you had with many on the right, there was similarly many on the left who suggesting that the situation wasn't as bad as some were saying and that in particular social distancing was not needed at all, and in fact openly encouraged it:

The sanctimony coming from the left over the last while is incredulous. They, as ever, are attempting to rewrite history and suggest that they took the threat of coronavirus serious from the get-go while their counterparts did not, and that's about as gross a misrepresentation of what has gone on as you're likely to see. The truth is that there were many on BOTH sides of the political divide who made stupid remarks and who now have egg on their face. This should be something which people should be above using to as a tool to try and gain political advantage but alas evidently it is clearly not.

But its not their hand at the tiller, it's not their fault lives are being lost by ineptitude and indecision. You say they founded a 'task force' on the 29th of January, seems a bit silly to do that when Trump said it would dissappear 'like a miracle', but then again they're informed a whole month before about the possible pandemic yet they ignored the warnings.

But you're right, the people who don't make the decisions are the ones to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

weisses wrote: »
    Maybe you and your loved ones should listen more carefully to Trump and take his advice regarding hydroxychloroquin "What do you have to lose? Take it. I really think they should take it ... try it, if you'd like."

Let me know how you get on
    That’s a rather ignoramus things to say. He means take it if you test positive for COVID-19 and other treatments aren’t working. What do you have to lose? Why would people take it who don’t have COVID-19? If I do contract it I sure as hell will ask my doctor to try it as I’m in the high-risk category. Hmmm... option 1 = probable death, option 2 = some testing indicates recoveries. I'll take option 2, thank you very much.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Didn't you know democrats believe history starts today... but only their own, that is.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

duploelabs wrote: »
    But its not their hand at the tiller, it's not their fault lives are being lost by ineptitude and indecision.

You seem to be pulling a bait and switch here. Just because their hand was not at the tiller does not mean they were not inept and indecisive.

The dems in New York not only were not taking it seriously, but were scare-mongering people into attending the Chinese New Year by saying they were racist if they didn't. This level of ineptitude deserves to be jailed.

They all got it wrong.

Well, here’s a big shocker... In the run-up to the election Democrats are preparing to blame Trump for what COVID-19 has done to the economy. But democrats won’t hold China accountable for any of its actions, nor that China has wrecked the world... It’s all Trump’s fault, ya know. They also believe Americans will come to embrace Big Brother Government in wake of the pandemic. They’re hoping American won’t remember all the self-serving non-coronavirus related pork nonsense the Democrats tried to get into the stimulus packages. They’ll fault Trump for mostly following the advice of his top scientists as new information and data comes about... They’d fault him if he didn’t.

What we won’t see is what the Democrats would have done differently, except for those things which they could only have come up in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You spent all that time writing a big long post to counter a point that nobody had made. I haven't seen one person here say that. And then in the last sentence you go on to say that people shouldn't do exactly what you've just done.

How do you think coronavirus is likely to affect the 2020 election?

2u2me wrote: »
    You seem to be pulling a bait and switch here. Just because their hand was not at the tiller does not mean they were not inept and indecisive.

The dems in New York not only were not taking it seriously, but were scare-mongering people into attending the Chinese New Year by saying they were racist if they didn't. This level of ineptitude deserves to be jailed.

They all got it wrong.

Maybe if their president hadn't told them it would "just dissapear" they might have taken it seriously. Trump downplayed this until the bodies started piling up and many GOP governers are refusing to lock down their states.

To be honest, the entire country has been asleep so throwing blame around probably isn't useful.

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    Maybe if their president hadn't told them it would "just dissapear" they might have taken it seriously. Trump downplayed this until the bodies started piling up and many GOP governers are refusing to lock down their states.

To be honest, the entire country has been asleep so throwing blame around probably isn't useful.

I have no doubt Trump has blood on his hands for this too, telling people the numbers were going down.

You admit it is the governor who locks down the state, this could have been done anytime after Jan 20th. Cuomo in New York could have acted a lot sooner.

Also its pretty funny how the narrative evolves into it's China's fault to deflect blame away from American politicians. Just look at how Taiwan handled the situation everything the US easily could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Well, here’s a big shocker... In the run-up to the election Democrats are preparing to blame Trump for what COVID-19 has done to the economy. But democrats won’t hold China accountable for any of its actions, nor that China has wrecked the world... It’s all Trump’s fault, ya know. They also believe Americans will come to embrace Big Brother Government in wake of the pandemic. They’re hoping American won’t remember all the self-serving non-coronavirus related pork nonsense the Democrats tried to get into the stimulus packages. They’ll fault Trump for mostly following the advice of his top scientists as new information and data comes about... They’d fault him if he didn’t.

What we won’t see is what the Democrats would have done differently, except for those things which they could only have come up in hindsight.

I log in each day for a bit of comic relief during this whole period and notobtuse never fails in saying such stupid things it brings a smile to the face

kilns wrote: »
    I log in each day for a bit of comic relief during this whole period and notobtuse never fails in saying such stupid things it brings a smile to the face
    One again, oh exalted one, please indicate to us all where anything I noted in my comment is incorrect.

As usual, I expect only crickets.

Like I said... Democrats only have solutions and recommendation to COVID-19 in hindsight. Joe Biden now says the China travel ban imposed by Trump at the end of January, that Biden opposed, should have happened sooner. You can't make this stuff up.

Kayleigh "We will not see diseases like the coronavirus come here" McEnaney in as new press secretary

Clowncar in Chief replaces bullsh!tter with bullsh!tter icon14.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Like I said... Democrats only have solutions and recommendation to COVID-19 in hindsight. Joe Biden now says the China travel ban imposed by Trump at the end of January, that Biden opposed, should have happened sooner. You can't make this stuff up.

It's not their inaction that costs lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I am afraid I am losing all hope for America. Not sure even the Dems can do much to put things right now. The level of worship from Fox'it'ers on Trump is as such that if he does not get the second run they will go on a turbocharged craze. Its a sad case indeed.

Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They should all be sued.

In fairness California has become some ****hole.

Was there last summer, 20 year gap.

San Francisco is filthy now, horrendous, was a fantastic spot.

• Advertisement

I am afraid I am losing all hope for America. Not sure even the Dems can do much to put things right now. The level of worship from Fox'it'ers on Trump is as such that if he does not get the second run they will go on a turbocharged craze. Its a sad case indeed.
    Oh, we’ll be quite okay. Thanks for your concern, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,530 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i haven't looked at this thread in a while but has there been any discussion on trumps mental and physical state. this video of him at a press conference is worrying. https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/status/1247125591431798785

Bernie has suspended his campaign. A doddery old fool stands between Trump and re-election.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bernie-sanders-ends-presidential-campaign-5070208-Apr2020/

Bernie has suspended his campaign. A doddery old fool stands between Trump and re-election.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bernie-sanders-ends-presidential-campaign-5070208-Apr2020/

Is Trump running against himself?

Finally. I guess he held out for a bigger fourth home from the DNC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it certainly took the double magnum vintage brut champagne socialist a while to realise he had to leave. Those feeling the bern will stay home and its the long expected double term for trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

it certainly took the double magnum vintage brut champagne socialist a while to realise he had to leave. Those feeling the bern will stay home and its the long expected double term for trump.

A month ago I would have agreed with you.

Pretty sure the Trump Administration's response to coronavirus will push some moderates and some diehard Bernie supporters towards Biden. The black and latin communities will rally around him. A good VP choice could make all the difference.

The US economy is fecked, the US haven't hit their actually peak in terms of their outbreak. Any actual quarantining and isolation are entirely down to individual states. The reality is horrifying, he's gotten a load of people killed because he can't cope with a crisis.

I think a "we will over come this" war recovery rhetoric could do a hell of a lot more in saving trump than you think. when this starts subsiding the inevitable QE plan and bringing home manufacturing jobs from 'evil china' would keep him ahead of Biden.

We have to remember that Trump has diehard fans, Biden is just 'less bad than trump' to most democrats.

• Advertisement

I think a "we will over come this" war recovery rhetoric could do a hell of a lot more in saving trump than you think. when this starts subsiding the inevitable QE plan and bringing home manufacturing jobs from 'evil china' would keep him ahead of Biden.

We have to remember that Trump has diehard fans, Biden is just 'less bad than trump' to most democrats.

I don't know. The best case scenario according to Trump is 100,000 deaths. If each of those people has 100 people they interact with regularly (extended family, friends, colleagues, local community) that's TEN MILLION people (correct me if my maths is wrong?) who will directly know someone who died as a result of a crisis Trump managed poorly.

If it ends up being 200,000 that's 20 million.

For most people, that will hit home more than any political message from any side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I can see Hillary Clinton playing some role in the coming months....with predicable disaster!!

I don't follow or consume US media so...I could be way off.

But she would have the financial ability to join the race in some capacity.

I can see Hillary Clinton playing some role in the coming months....with predicable disaster!!

I don't follow or consume US media so...I could be way off.

But she would have the financial ability to join the race in some capacity.

Hillary is a tainted brand, the DNC wouldn't allow self-inflicted harm twice. Trump versus Covid-19 considering the startling cognitive decline of Biden. Sanders a much stronger candidate who was too progressive for a neoliberal corporatist base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

4 more years, 4 more year. !! Lock her up, drain the swamp!!!

Hillary is a tainted brand, the DNC wouldn't allow self-inflicted harm twice. Trump versus Covid-19 considering the startling cognitive decline of Biden. Sanders a much stronger candidate who was too progressive for a neoliberal corporatist base.

It'll be interesting to see what role Obama plays as a surrogate now that Joe is the presumptive nominee.

KiKi III wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what role Obama plays as a surrogate now that Joe is the presumptive nominee.

I wouldn't even be slightly shocked if he took Michelle as VP , plays that fuzzy diversity card thats more important than policy to the dem's but still leaves 'political experience' in the driving seat and a female vp helps him have a voice at the table about the frankly disturbing pictures of Joe with young girls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I wouldn't even be slightly shocked if he took Michelle as VP , plays that fuzzy diversity card thats more important than policy to the dem's but still leaves 'political experience' in the driving seat and a female vp helps him have a voice at the table about the frankly disturbing pictures of Joe with young girls.

I have seen badges in New York "Michelle 2020" Biden could do worse to tie up the Obama vote

I wouldn't be surprised if he offered it to her, but I haven't seen anything to indicate it's a job she wants. Kamala Harris far more likely in terms of black women.

Edgware wrote: »
    I have seen badges in New York "Michelle 2020" Biden could do worse to tie up the Obama vote

it also gives her the experience to get elected during the second term that joes mental deterioration definitely will not allow him serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

KiKi III wrote: »
    I don't know. The best case scenario according to Trump is 100,000 deaths. If each of those people has 100 people they interact with regularly (extended family, friends, colleagues, local community) that's TEN MILLION people (correct me if my maths is wrong?) who will directly know someone who died as a result of a crisis Trump managed poorly.

If it ends up being 200,000 that's 20 million.

For most people, that will hit home more than any political message from any side.

The flaw in your logic is that not everyone who will have known someone who has died from the Coronavirus will be blaming Donald Trump. That's just your assumption based on your political bias and there's a lot of that particular cognitive dissonance about right now but it's not backed up by either facts or even critical thinking and indeed falls apart under even the most rudimentary scrutiny.

Even right now what I am hearing from those who voted for DT is that they do not think negatively of him remotely for his handling of the crisis and in fact believe the administration acting as early as they did (Jan 28th) and their willingness to act on the recommendations of Fauci, was all that could really be asked from him and the administration. They see the spin from democrats and the media spin but they didn't buy it along the way and they are not buying it now either, particularly given that as more and more facts come out we are seeing that Trump was right about certain calls he made and which the dems/media lambasted him for.

Mostly though, what I am hearing (and seeing) is that those who support Trump and who were happy with the job he had been doing before this crisis began (with regards to keeping the promises he made on the campaign trail) is that they are furious with how the democrats behaved early on, labelling Trump a racist when he called for the travel restrictions from China for example, at the behest of Dr. Fauci, and how dems in congress like Pelosi then went to Chinatown and called for Americans to come on down, clearly an act done just to spite Donald Trump and which for sure put American lives at risk.

The New York mayor even encouraging people on Mar 3rd to go out on the town:

Should we suggest that he is responsible for the deaths of thousands as you have done re Donald Trump? Of course not, they're democrats, right. Double standards a plenty.

Truth is, the situation as bad as it is could easily be much worse had the Trump administration not taken the actions they did in late Jan and all signs are that if a democrat was in the Oval they would have been more concerned about coming across as racist and so likely not to have implemented the much needed flight and travel restrictions out of fear of that. Playing identity politics at the beginnings of this crisis might not be something the MSM are discussing right now (they tend to move from one false narrative to the next very quickly) but that does not mean it has been ignored elsewhere.

One other aspect is that Americans (as well as the rest of the world) are going to want to see that the mishandling of the Wuhan Coronavirus is thoroughly investigated and that if the CCP is found to have withheld data from those they were supposed to be transparent with, that there be consequences for that. The likelihood that a democrat would come through in that regard is slim to say the very least and that is yet another reason why the chances of Trump getting elected is higher than many would wish it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Missed most of the briefing - what rubbish was he spouting this time?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement