Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I haven't been in love with any of the songs that have been released as singles so far. Art Angels was amazing. I came to it thinking Grimes was hipster shyte, but I stuck with it until I couldn't deny it: she's a bit of a genius. But I don't have high expectations based on what I've heard so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I was the same. I dismissed Visions when I heard it first. But the Realiti demo and Art Angels completely changed my opinion of her. It was an amazing album.

The singles from the new album were ok, but they didn't get me hyped for the album in any way.

Listening to the new Grimes album Miss Anthropocene.

Decent album, but it sounds a bit safe by her standards. I'm hoping that this is her contractual obligation album for 4AD, and that she has something wilder up her sleeve when she's free from her label.

I've Listened to it a few times myself. I thought it was a bit disappointing at first, but I think it might be a grower.

I like how she's singing in a lower register through a lot of the album.

The singles were a bit - meh - taken in isolation, but they flow a lot better in the context of the album. How did I not realise that "My Name is Dark" is actually a bit of a banger?

Amazes me how the music press keep talking about the "nu-metal" influence on the album. I do not hear it. There's a dark industrial vibe in places, but nothing remotely close to nu-metal. Well, there's guitar - but you need a bit more than that for God's sake. It's like one of them said it somewhere in a review and now they all have to parrot that for want of something original to say. A lot of people out there stealing livings writing about music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I don't hear too much of an nu-metal influence on the album but she does use the term herself to describe her music. I definitely think it's a little in vogue at the moment too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

New Agnes Obel album out - 'Myopia'. Her last one, 'Citizen of Glass' was brilliant.

I absolutely love the new Grimes album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

The Guru Guru point fingers is excellent a number of notably great songs like opener Mache,Orgamiwise and PoverBridge

https://theguruguru.bandcamp.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Greg Dulli of the The Afghan Whigs solo record, Random Desire is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Greg Dulli of the The Afghan Whigs solo record, Random Desire is fantastic.

Thank you so much!
    I didn't know that was coming, and when searching for it I saw he's playing Whelan's next month which had slipped below my radar, fecking delighted!

Thank you so much!
    I didn't know that was coming, and when searching for it I saw he's playing Whelan's next month which had slipped below my radar, fecking delighted!

It gets better with every listen. The European tour starts in The Roisin Dubh in Galway and then onto Whelans. I'll see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

To try to return the Greg Dulli favour, I recently stumbled across Across The Borders by Júníus Meyvant which is a great album. It's got a kinda 70s American funk feel, but a little more chilled. It could almost be the soundtrack to a film from that era. Given that sound, and what I first thought was a French name, I was very surprised to then read he was from the middle of nowhere in Iceland. It shouldn't, but that makes me like him even more

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

Arghus wrote: »
    New Tame Impala.

I'm still on the fence about these guys.

I have a hard time with your man's singing voice.

Its absolutely stellar. "one more year" is a masterpiece.

Its a very good song more electronic that I might have thought ..haven't heard them much before

I think it has it's moments. The singles are quite good, but a lot of the other tracks are a bit forgettable. Maybe it's a grower, I certainly will give it more time, but I don't think I'd file it under essential listening just yet.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Loved Innerspeaker and Lonerism especially. So much so I went to see them 3 times over an 18 month period.

I found currents to be a step down. After the first single 'Let it Happen' was released I had high hopes as the sound was similar to Lonerism, but diverged somewhat after that.

I've given the new one a bit of time, it's decent but not even close to the first too for me.

Tomorrows are an Irish band and this is their album Night Chorus pt2 . Very trippy sounding.
    https://tomorrows.bandcamp.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Been listening to the new Orielles album Disco Volador a lot this weekend. Quite different to their debut which I loved but definitely a grower. New Soccer Mommy and Caribou very good on first listen too.

sweetie wrote: »
    Been listening to the new Orielles album Disco Volador a lot this weekend. Quite different to their debut which I loved but definitely a grower. New Soccer Mommy and Caribou very good on first listen too.

I listened to soccer mommy and Carbou as well this week! I didn't care for either very much. I only skimmed thru both albums listening to a song here and there before deciding no further listens required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

sweetie wrote: »
    Been listening to the new Orielles album Disco Volador a lot this weekend..

its a beaut , great groove to it
    the new sink ya teeth album is the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

the new King Krule album is very good I think. I absolutely loved his last album so time will tell to how this one compares.

I've been listening to HMLTD, a band I'd literally never heard of before today. They have an album called West of Eden and while I think they definitely won't be to everyone's taste, I am very, very impressed with them. Everything is turned all the way up all of the time, which will probably fatigue a lot of people, but fook me there's some great wild stuff on the record.

This tune is a bit of an encapsulation of their sound. Starts off like a Morricone film score, becomes crazed post punk, does a complete 180 into a trap section, jumbles it all up together again and throws in some extra industrial noise for the craic.

• Advertisement

peteeeed wrote: »
    its a beaut , great groove to it
    the new sink ya teeth album is the same

Didn't know Sink Ya Teeth had a new one out, it's excellent

Some excellent albums out the last week Wasted Shirt's Fungus II, Gladie -Safe Sins and the new Nova Twins album Who are the girls. All worth a listen, the new Sink Ya Teeth one is brilliant as already mentioned here.

New U.S. Girls, Heavy Light. Listening to it now. Her last one was a classic, so high hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

new Stephen Malkmus "Traditional Techniques". His 3rd album in under 3 years; after last year's excursion into bedroom electronica, this time he's rocking a 60s/70s folk vibe (something he dabbled in previously on the final Pavement album).

Just listening to it now, but I like Malkmus and I like a bit of 60s folk rock, so it's right up my alley.

loyatemu wrote: »
    new Stephen Malkmus "Traditional Techniques". His 3rd album in under 3 years; after last year's excursion into bedroom electronica, this time he's rocking a 60s/70s folk vibe (something he dabbled in previously on the final Pavement album).

Just listening to it now, but I like Malkmus and I like a bit of 60s folk rock, so it's right up my alley.

Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins
    Nature kids, I, they don't have no function
    I don't understand what they mean and I could really give a ****

That what I think about pavement dumbass songs all the way

New U.S. Girls, Heavy Light. Listening to it now. Her last one was a classic, so high hopes.
    The singles from this album are good, the rest of the album not so much. It's a bit of a disappointment and a step down from her last album.

The singles from this album are good, the rest of the album not so much. It's a bit of a disappointment and a step down from her last album.

Completely agree with you here. I've given it a good listen over the past few days, and yes the singles are the only highlights of the album. Really disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

New Caribou album is amazing

I think on its own terms it's a pretty good release. There's at least five songs on it that I think are great - the first three (especially 4 American Dollars), And yet It Moves and The Quiver to The Bomb - and I think most of the others are generally fine, without being outstanding.

It seems to rubbing people up all underwhelmed, but I think some of that is a bit harsh. It's nowhere near as consistent or as focused as the last album, but if it was the first U.S. Girls album you'd ever heard you might be a bit more forgiving

I think the departure in style has thrown people a bit too. There's a bit more of a classic pop/rock, even a big-band, feel and the arrangements are big, sometimes to the point of too much. When it works, it works, but at times it can feel like a whole lot in search of a good tune. I also am not sure about Meg Remy's voice and whether it wholly works with the songs.

I think on its own terms it's a pretty good release. There's at least five songs on it that I think are great - the first three (especially 4 American Dollars), And yet It Moves and The Quiver to The Bomb - and I think most of the others are generally fine, without being outstanding.

It seems to rubbing people up all underwhelmed, but I think some of that is a bit harsh. It's nowhere near as consistent or as focused as the last album, but if it was the first U.S. Girls album you'd ever heard you might be a bit more forgiving

I think the departure in style has thrown people a bit too. There's a bit more of a classic pop/rock, even a big-band, feel and the arrangements are big, sometimes to the point of too much. When it works, it works, but at times it can feel like a whole lot in search of a good tune. I also am not sure about Meg Remy's voice and whether it wholly works with the songs.

This was my exact issue with the last Angel Olsen album.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    This was my exact issue with the last Angel Olsen album.

I would tend to agree with you. I really liked that Angel Olsen at first and still think it has some great moments, but, yeah, I don't return to it much these days. There's nothing on it that makes me feel like I simply have to listen to that one song again.

Angel Olsen's best album is still Burn Your Fire... All killer, no filler.

I would tend to agree with you. I really liked that Angel Olsen at first and still think it has some great moments, but, yeah, I don't return to it much these days. There's nothing on it that makes me feel like I simply have to listen to that one song again.

Angel Olsen's best album is still Burn Your Fire... All killer, no filler.

Is right. Love it.

The Four Tet album sounds very promising. I wasn't all that sold on New Energy even if it did feature this beauty. Plenty of days ahead to self-isolate with this.

From the new album but been out a while.....

Human Impact released a record last Friday called Human Impact. The band consists of ex Cop Shoot Cop and Swans members. If you like Cop Shoot Cop you'll like these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

Bit late but I just heard about it today. The new Phantogram album is fantastic. A bit rockier than their previous stuff and on a first listen it could be their best yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

on my 2nd listen of the new baxter dury album , its great

Human Impact released a record last Friday called Human Impact. The band consists of ex Cop Shoot Cop and Swans members. If you like Cop Shoot Cop you'll like these.

I like one song by them prob cos of mtv anything great on the album?

I like one song by them prob cos of mtv anything great on the album?

Yeah the album in its entirity is great. It's only March and it will be in my top 5 albums of the year. I actually got to see cop shoot cop live, I think it was in 1994 in the SFX supporting Therapy? I still say it's one of the best gigs I've ever been at. They were a great band.

Yeah the album in its entirity is great. It's only March and it will be in my top 5 albums of the year. I actually got to see cop shoot cop live, I think it was in 1994 in the SFX supporting Therapy? I still say it's one of the best gigs I've ever been at. They were a great band.

I'll give it a go!

• Advertisement

Sorry's debut, 925 out today is a super album and also Deeper's Auto-Pain is excellent.

Lets get this thread back to life -

Yves Tumor has a new album out, Heaven to A Tortured Mind.

I think he's interesting, but maybe could do with writing slightly better songs. I don't know what to think of this album so far, it might need a few more listens.

I think this tune is fairly solid -

Lets get this thread back to life -

Yves Tumor has a new album out, Heaven to A Tortured Mind.

I think he's interesting, but maybe could do with writing slightly better songs. I don't know what to think of this album so far, it might need a few more listens.

I think this tune is fairly solid -

I got his last record, yeah it's interesting but a bit all over the shop. Apparently great live too

Fiona Apple is back... Boy is she back...

Hadn't realised she was releasing a new album until I saw Pitchfork gave it a 10. Have only listened to the first few tracks but very impressed with what I've heard so far. Looking forward to getting properly stuck into it.

Fiona Apple is back... Boy is she back...

Not a fan of her at all but Pitchfork gave her a 10/10 for this record, so I said I'd give it a listen. I really don't get the love for her, I think it's a terrible record. Then I thought maybe I was being harsh so I gave it another listen, still didn't change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Not a fan of her at all but Pitchfork gave her a 10/10 for this record, so I said I'd give it a listen. I really don't get the love for her, I think it's a terrible record. Then I thought maybe I was being harsh so I gave it another listen, still didn't change my mind.

I think a lot of critics weigh too heavily the "difference factor", something that sounds unusual and unique and while of course innovation is important, I think the likes of Pitchfork overestimate its value.

If three white guys play guitar tunes with solild verse-bridge-chorus then I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing and it won't prejudice my enjoyment of the music and same goes the other way. The ears don't discriminate, the critics do

It's a pretty good record. I've spent the last couple of days listening to it, but it is also being wildly overrated.

Some songs are great, some are just downright annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Totally agree. I could never figure out what people see in her.

Ah, Fiona Apple is pretty good. This album is overrated, but it's by no means bad. Maybe it'll be a grower. I haven't given up on it yet.

Generally, she's damn good. I still listen to When The Pawn... from time to time. Great melodies and arrangements. And her last album before this one was especially strong. She does raw and emotional very well and can be equally good at soft and delicate. The big problem for me with her is that all her songs are about relationships and usually addressed to potential future lovers or bad break-ups. It can occasionally wear thin. Angel Olsen is a bit like this also.

I think the pitchfork 10/10 is ridiculous. That's the first one they've given in literally years. Pitchfork is highly suspect. They still have some good writers, but, in general, what they say these days has to be taken with a pinch of salt. They've strayed pretty far from what they once were. To an extent it isn't entirely their own fault - their original bread and butter of indie and alternative isn't really what's popular these days. But, having said that, they often give very high marks to completely mediocre and even downright bad mainstream hip-hop and r and b. Cardi B, best new album? Give me a fcking break. And so many of their reviews only mention the actual music that's supposedly being reviewed tangentially. It might get a paragraph, but there'll be four or five of superfluous shyte.

They used to be taste makers, but now they follow the same trends as everyone else.

I still glance at it, mainly from habit. It's a pity. It gets a lot of bad press, but it was legitimately a good site and resource back in the day. I took a chance on numerous bands or acts through the years because I read about them there first.

It would be interesting to know how others find new stuff. Personally, I look at the likes of metacritic, album of the year and I mooch about on Rate Your Music. Rate Your Music can be a goldmine, but the reception of currently released stuff can be far from objective.

A lot of people hate on the dude now, but I still give a watch or two to Anthony Fantano. I remember when he used to introduce videos by shouting out the name of the act and album beside a tree in his garden. It's crazy to see how big he's become over the years. I don't agree about 60% of the time, but I still rate him as being honest. He still reviews things based on they sound to his ears.

Pitchfork is vastly different to what it used to be (for many reasons) but I still enjoy their reviews, especially the Sunday retrospectives which often leads me to checking out some new old music.

I mainly come across new stuff by lurking in the Drowned in Sound message board. Its seems to be the online resource that best matches my current tastes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement