Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Selling house because of Youth problem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Op there was a thread on here fairly recently about best and worst parts of Ireland to live in and someone quoted pobal ( I think) who have researched social deprivation, employment index etc. in different areas.They have stats on all of this. Might be of help to you in trying to find a new area to live in.

I second the poster Johnny who mentioned buying in mature well established areas. Even adding to that get an area without loads of young families, you’d definitely be better off living near retired pensioners. Hope you can get out because your situation sounds awful and very stressful.Put your house on the market, do your research and get moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Berserker wrote: »
    I lived in D4 (Ballsbridge) for a few years. There was one single mother on assistance on our floor. The land lady used to be on the hunt for her every other month for outstanding rent. D4 is lifeless in the evenings and weekends, even when events are on in the RDS or LR. It'd be an odd place for any child to grow up. Mon-Fri 9-5 the place is full of working people from AIB and such. Most of the people we knew were young professionals. Very few families, if any, in the area.

Sounds great to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I really hope there's an advent of places that are kid-free. Would rule out a most of the problems most would get where kids do roam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Even 370k for a 3 bed semi in Tallaght is madness! Plenty of nice estates there, my parents still live in one, but houses should not be selling for that price. Ridiculous.

There are plenty of perfectly nice places in Tallaght, don't tar the whole area with the same brush. It makes you look ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Berserker wrote: »
    I lived in D4 (Ballsbridge) for a few years. There was one single mother on assistance on our floor. The land lady used to be on the hunt for her every other month for outstanding rent. D4 is lifeless in the evenings and weekends, even when events are on in the RDS or LR. It'd be an odd place for any child to grow up. Mon-Fri 9-5 the place is full of working people from AIB and such. Most of the people we knew were young professionals. Very few families, if any, in the area.

I lived there a while ago too and that wasn't my experience at all. Loads of families in the area, go to herbert park of a weekend and it would be packed with them. Loads of baby and toddler groups and activities around too. I guess if you're a working professional with no kids you're not going to notice any of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

mondeo wrote: »
    I bet the council wouldn't buy up houses around D4 to house people from the list in, D4 is the Beverly Hills of Dublin. The area will depreciate in value and the government wouldn't allow that anyways since it's where most of them are living themselves. All the big earners have their D4 homes. Imagine paying over 1 million + for a 3 bedroom semi in D4 compared to €370,000 for a 3 bedroom house in D24, only to have a family of wasters move in next door to you throwing garbage over your back wall. I doubt it would happen, it wouldn't happen.There would be murder if it did. The council will gladly buy up property in all the lesser private areas though, downgrading the value of everyone elses house there. Firhouse for exampe has fallen victim to this.
    if they did the d4's would complain because they think they are better than council residents. Not all council resident carry on like the OP says. Most are decent and work or are disabled and have the so called free house which is never free. Even if it was they would be no bigger bums than the FG FF tds who bum expenses every time they ****. Who could be a bigger bum than swing gate?

Also the op seems OK with offloading his problems to some unsuspecting person with a happy and buzzy inside feeling about owning the op's house. There is a lot of think they are better than council residents here

AulWan wrote: »
    There are plenty of perfectly nice places in Tallaght, don't tar the whole area with the same brush. It makes you look ignorant.
    good people there too though some who think theire sh!t dont smell think they are better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Even 370k for a 3 bed semi in Tallaght is madness! Plenty of nice estates there, my parents still live in one, but houses should not be selling for that price. Ridiculous.

There are plenty of lovely estates in Tallaght . Old Bawn , Kingswood , Killnamanagh , Belgard . Why should the houses there be worth less than up the road ? They are selling for more than that in Old Bawn because that is the market price

Eh, I literally said that in my post? See where I said "plenty of nice estates there" ? And that my parents still live there which means that it's where I grew up.

I still think that price is too much though for what you get, even in the nice areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

if they did the d4's would complain because they think they are better than council residents. Not all council resident carry on like the OP says. Most are decent and work or are disabled and have the so called free house which is never free. Even if it was they would be no bigger bums than the FG FF tds who bum expenses every time they ****. Who could be a bigger bum than swing gate?

Also the op seems OK with offloading his problems to some unsuspecting person with a happy and buzzy inside feeling about owning the op's house. There is a lot of think they are better than council residents here

What should we do ? Give the house away for free because we had trouble there ? :rolleyes:

I don't know what sales tactics estate agents use to sell houses, but whoever buys it when the time comes may have a better experience then us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Is it you or the op whos family are living there? They are being targeted continually with anti-social behaviour, and are able to escape it. We had to put up with 9 years of it. It's not a case of not wanting to live next to council tenants. If it was, we wouldn't have moved into another council house. It's about going to sleep at night without being on edge, waiting for your windows to come through, and wondering will your car be in one piece in the morning so you can go to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

One of the things people need to understand that if there was a major social collapse in Ireland these are the families who will become fully psychopathic and will capture, store and eat you for meat like in the movie The Road.

Word of advice. If this ever happens in Ireland. The decent need to gang up and instantly liquidate these scumbag families as a first point of priority. If you don't, they will do it to all of you.

Skangers serve to remind us just how delicate the veil of civilized society really is.

What should we do ? Give the house away for free because we had trouble there ? :rolleyes:

I don't know what sales tactics estate agents use to sell houses, but whoever buys it when the time comes may have a better experience then us.
    why would they have better experience than you? you said it is the area:rolleyes: I am sure they will be delighted when they are swoggle horned. Or else the people had some issue with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As far as I know White Noise deterrents are still legal. Might be worth having a look at them even for the few months that you have left there. Most can be set on a timer as well so you only have to have it on during the times that you mentioned.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Is it you or the op whos family are living there? They are being targeted continually with anti-social behaviour, and are able to escape it. We had to put up with 9 years of it. It's not a case of not wanting to live next to council tenants. If it was, we wouldn't have moved into another council house. It's about going to sleep at night without being on edge, waiting for your windows to come through, and wondering will your car be in one piece in the morning so you can go to work.
    by selling it to someone else? They said it is the area why will i t be different. You think the new people don't want to sleep at night?? Why is it OK if the new owner is abused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I lived there a while ago too and that wasn't my experience at all. Loads of families in the area, go to herbert park of a weekend and it would be packed with them. Loads of baby and toddler groups and activities around too. I guess if you're a working professional with no kids you're not going to notice any of that

We have no children. Did those people live in the area? I used to play hockey in Pembroke and most of the players came from further afield.

why would they have better experience than you? you said it is the area:rolleyes: I am sure they will be delighted when they are swoggle horned. Or else the people had some issue with you

I'm sure the op doesn't care once he's out of there. Wait till you get your windows bricked or your car wrecked on a regular basis and you will change your tune.

I'm sure the op doesn't care once he's out of there. Wait till you get your windows bricked or your car wrecked on a regular basis and you will change your tune.
    How do you know i havent?
    I'm sure the op doesn't care once he's out of there
    that is a great attiude and explains why i would not believe anything an estate agent said. I also would not put on the internet.A potential buyer may find this

Eh, I literally said that in my post? See where I said "plenty of nice estates there" ? And that my parents still live there

I still think that price is too much though for what you get, even in the nice areas.

Yet you still think homes in Tallaght should be worth less then other areas because its Tallaght? That's illogical.

• Advertisement

Yet you still think homes in Tallaght should be worth less then other areas because its Tallaght? That's illogical.

Different areas are generally worth different prices. What's the issue? Yeah some parts of Tallaght are nice but not 370k of niceness, IMO. Have we not learned from not that long ago that sometimes "market value" is not really what a place should be worth. I dont remember prices even being that high during the last boom? New houses in Ballycullen going for 500k+. (I know they like to pretend they arent Tallaght, but still D24) Can the average worker afford those prices? Seems worrying.

How do you know i havent?

that is a great attiude and explains why i would not believe anything an estate agent said. I also would not put on the internet.A potential buyer may find this

If you have, and you had the chance to move, you wouldn't even glance back over your shoulder, believe me.

I had to visit my old place to pick up post. I was speaking to the new tenant, an Eastern European chap with a couple of children and he was slightly disabled. He told me he got the same sh1te as we got. I pointed out the houses that the trouble makers lived in. He shrugged his shoulders, and told me he knew and the Gardai knew, but wouldn't do anything. He's long gone out of there now and the place has been boarded up for over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I think the point they were making is it shouldn't cost 370K to secure a house in any working class area.

I think the point they were making is it shouldn't cost 370K to secure a house in any working class area.

That's if you would class the whole of Tallaght as a working class area.

If you have, and you had the chance to move, you wouldn't even glance back over your shoulder, believe me.

I had to visit my old place to pick up post. I was speaking to the new tenant, an Eastern European chap with a couple of children and he was slightly disabled. He told me he got the same sh1te as we got. I pointed out the houses that the trouble makers lived in. He shrugged his shoulders, and told me he knew and the Gardai knew, but wouldn't do anything. He's long gone out of there now and the place has been boarded up for over a year.
    you do not know that it is speculation. You do not know what i would do in any situation

That's if you would class the whole of Tallaght as a working class area.

It kind of is though, generally. Is there something wrong with that?

• Advertisement

you do not know that it is speculation. You do not know what i would do in any situation

Give us your side then.

Different areas are generally worth different prices. What's the issue? Yeah some parts of Tallaght are nice but not 370k of niceness, IMO. Have we not learned from not that long ago that sometimes "market value" is not really what a place should be worth. I dont remember prices even being that high during the last boom? New houses in Ballycullen going for 500k+. (I know they like to pretend they arent Tallaght, but still D24) Can the average worker afford those prices? Seems worrying.
    In your opinion.

In reality, there is no difference between Tallaght or Clondalkin or Finglas or Blanchardstown or any other suburb of Dublin that has sweeping generalisations made about it. There is good and bad everywhere, and a +500k house in a private estate anywhere is no guarantee that you won't experience anti-social behaviour.

Even Dublin 4 has its considered less desireable parts, namely Ringsend and Irishtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Estates and council tenants are fine when everything is working class ie people work
    Now we have the welfare class tenants who won’t work and will make your life hell for the laugh

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Estates and council tenants are fine when everything is working class ie people work
    Now we have the welfare class tenants who won’t work and will make your life hell for the laugh

This x a million. Too much time on their hands and able bodied. Should be made to collect litter for 10 hours a day.

In your opinion.

In reality, there is no difference between Tallaght or Clondalkin or Finglas or Blanchardstown or any other suburb of Dublin that has sweeping generalisations made about it. There is good and bad everywhere, and a +500k house in a private estate anywhere is no guarantee that you won't experience anti-social behaviour.

Even Dublin 4 has its considered less desireable parts, namely Ringsend and Irishtown.
    some like to think they are better than others and that all council residents are scum when most are decent

• Advertisement

In your opinion.

Sadly no it's not anymore due to this policy of spreading out social housing which I'm in favour of in principle but there has to be consequences for antisocial behaviour like being shipped to a sink estate made out of shipping containers.

Sadly no it's not anymore due to this policy of spreading out social housing which I'm in favour of in principle but there has to be consequences for antisocial behaviour like being shipped to a sink estate made out of shipping containers.

With all due respect can you stop banging on about the shipping containers. We both know it's never going to happen.

If it was possible to build homes from them we wouldn't be spending a fortune putting up homeless people in hotels.

With all due respect can you stop banging on about the shipping containers. We both know it's never going to happen.

If it was possible to build homes from them we wouldn't be spending a fortune putting up homeless people in hotels.

Nope I like shipping containers as a solution.

Nope I like shipping containers as a solution.

Many people would. I would take great pleasure in seeing families of scum having to live in them.

It still won't happen in this country though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,901 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you’ve to pay nothing for a gaff then you put no value on it. Every one of the ‘homeless’ are now due a house and the number of ‘homeless’ is going up every week. Can’t stop that process now.

A general rule of thumb is never buy a new house in a new estate. Not worth the risk. Screw the first time buyers grant and buy something 2nd hand in a mature and established area.

This. Finding mature areas is easy in Dublin.

Even places that use to be rough and kips are now mostly fine. I know big parts of Coolock, for example, are now like that with the little scrotes having moved on and only mostly older people left.

It's not gentrification so much as the age demographic is much older.

If you can find a place where there is not many kids left in the area you'll be free of all of this.

And it's unlikely new social housing will be built as these areas are developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Many people would. I would take great pleasure in seeing families of scum having to live in them.

Fill the containers up with undesirables, pay a dude in casablanca a few quid, sneak the containers into Nigeria or wherever.

Then claim asylum on their behalf and shrug shoulders as you hang up the phone.

Everyone wins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

some like to think they are better than others and that all council residents are scum when most are decent

Ya. Nobody has said that. Youre talking ****e.

People don't want to live beside scrotes that make your life a misery and suffer no consequences. Shock horror.

They're actually a great solution for rapid housing. A scum village could be set up with a 24 hour Garda and council presence. No idea if they ever went ahead with this in Amsterdam but I didn't come up with it.

But you're right soft on scroungers and scum ireland itll never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

It kind of is though, generally. Is there something wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it but it isn't correct. Tallaght is the size of some Irish cities and contains a mix of estates with those like Bancroft, Kingswood, Belgard Heights housing a normal mix of public servants, teachers, self employed, tradesmen, IT workers, etc, etc.

I can recall a prominent business man of the time giving a sharp answer to an RTE interviewer at the opening of The Square who wondered why he was living in Tallaght. He put her in her place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

crossman47 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it but it isn't correct. Tallaght is the size of some Irish cities and contains a mix of estates with those like Bancroft, Kingswood, Belgard Heights housing a normal mix of public servants, teachers, self employed, tradesmen, IT workers, etc, etc.

I can recall a prominent business man of the time giving a sharp answer to an RTE interviewer at the opening of The Square who wondered why he was living in Tallaght. He put her in her place.

CEO of Quantas is from Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I live in Dublin 24 area, We made a hard decision today that it is in our interest to sell our house for safety and peace reasons.The reason is Youths... Our house is a cornor house and has been the victim of stone throwing, our cars have been damaged in our driveways several times. Have CCTV and security motion activated lights, may aswell have nothing there at all. They don't care, these young lads are all around the place every night of the week, friday and saturday night in particular has become nerve wrecking.. I find myself running to the windows everytime our security lights are triggered to see who is out there. This is no way to live....

All of this has been happening over the past year, maybe a little longer. My partner doesn't want to live in the house anymore and neither do I. It's fine during the day time, after 7pm it's stressing us out. We are contacting an estate agent on Monday morning to get the ball rolling so we can get out of here. It's so sad since the house is all paid for and everything. We don't want to move terribly far because we work pretty close to our house. One thing is for sure, wherever we move to is not going to be anywhere near council estates ! Our house unfortunately is very near a council estate and this is where we believe these little scruffy bastads are spawning from. This could go on for years and years, so we are getting out now.

In this instance I would go to the council first and ask if they would like to buy the property.

Best of luck!

Ush1 wrote: »
    CEO of Quantas is from Tallaght.

Does he still live there?

That could have been a friend of mines father. He owned 7 or 8 businesses in Tallaght 25 years ago. He lived in Bancroft too.

Does he still live there?

He might well do if he lived in Ireland.

He might well do if he lived in Ireland.

Do you really think that?

Do you really think that?

Why not? There are a number of fine houses on their own grounds that would suit him. One on the Belgard Road was occupied for many years by a very prominent business man.

Why not? There are a number of fine houses on their own grounds that would suit him. One on the Belgard Road was occupied for many years by a very prominent business man.

Fair enough. That's a different type of 'estate' though.

Fair enough. That's a different type of 'estate' though.

I know and thats why I reacted to someone branding Tallaght as all the same.

I know and thats why I reacted to someone branding Tallaght as all the same.

It is a predominantly working class area though. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I live in a working class area and am working class and proud of it.

• Advertisement

It is a predominantly working class area though. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. I live in a working class area and am working class and proud of it.

I agree there is nothing at all wrong with it as I come from a similar area myself but I am trying to change the perception that Tallaght is all the same. It isn't. It contains a mix of all social classes including, to my certain knowledge, senior public servants, TDs, doctors and business owners.

Advertisement