Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes To The Pictures Part II - Electric Boogaloo... THE REVEAL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Irish Aris wrote: »
    ah oh. . . I think I'm in trouble. . .

I knew you were trouble when you walked in Aris! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

The Top 3 here scored a higher rating than #1 in the previous round, so it was a tough battle up the Top...

Top 3 and Bottom 3 (in alphabetical order)...

Alfred Borden
    Arghus
    Electric Nitwit
    JP Liz V1
    osh
    Rikand

And naturally, they'll all need a few minutes to allow the nerves to build up... :D

14th place and 3 pts to
    Alfred Borden

Babe (1995)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112431/
    IMDB wrote:
    Babe, a pig raised by sheepdogs, learns to herd sheep with a little help from Farmer Hoggett.

uhzV7oel.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 51%

Review:

If I had been basing this on nostalgia alone, having not seen it in 25 years or so, I would have rated it much much higher, but upon a rewatch its just nowhere near as good as I remember it being. It's a cute story, there's some great bits, and it was a perfectly fine trip down memory lane, but there were quite a few things that just annoyed me. Those f**king mice that sing that chapter titles can get absolutely f**ked for starters, they're the worst. I had actually forgotten that the film jumps from using actual animals to puppets and animatronics, or quite possible its something I was just too stupid to notice as a kid, because kids are thick as sh*t, but I found it so jarring seeing it here, even though I understand that it would likely have been impossible to do the whole film with real animals. Some of the voice actors are pretty grating, and actually aside from James Cromwell the human actors aren't great either. Despite all those negative though, I still liked it just a tiny bit more than I disliked it, it was alright. That'll do Pig, that'll do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Totally agree on the Wilson assessment, it's a phenomenal performance by an actor I would normally have no time for.

Glad you got got with the weepies LeVar and I'm not the only eejit, I was like a baby watching the movie the first time, bawled my eyes out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ooh, my cousin called so I assumed I'd missed it all but I'm still in

Hmm... my pick is not better than Little Miss Sunshine though :o

Ooh, my cousin called so I assumed I'd missed it all but I'm still in

Hmm... my pick is not better than Little Miss Sunshine though :o

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,533 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    ah oh. . . I think I'm in trouble. . .

Me Too :(

3rd place and 14 pts to
    Rikand

Home Alone (2006)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099785/
    IMDB wrote:
    An eight-year-old troublemaker must protect his house from a pair of burglars when he is accidentally left home alone by his family during Christmas vacation.

lV4L47Gl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: Yes

LeVar's Approval Rating: 97%

Review:

There are very few Christmas Movies that I'd be happy about being forced to watch in April, and as a rule I only tend to watch Christmas Movies during the week of Christmas itself, but Home Alone is one of the exceptions to the rule. I mean who doesn't love Home Alone? You would have to be a monster not to love this film, which is ironic given that with the exception of Old Man Marly and Gus "Polka King of the Mid-West" Polinski, all of the characters in this film are monstrous in some way or another, but I genuinely love how awful they all are. I have always thought "Kevin McAllister: Rise of a Serial Killer" would have been a much more apt name for this given that Kevin was definitely trying to kill Harry and Marv who only survived the torturous traps because of plot armour and the fact that it is a "family friendly" film ; was a hundred percent the inspiration for the Saw franchise though and I refuse to let anyone convince me otherwise. I actually watch this pretty much every Christmas Eve as part of a double bill alongside Die Hard, and it wasn't until a few years that I realised that Harry and Marv being subjected to Kevin's House of Horrors only lasts 15 minutes in its entirety, but as a kid I always thought that made up about 90% of the film ; all that precedes that main event are actually the parts of the film I enjoy the most though, and the big showdown is merely the cherry on top. It's just such a shame that Angels With Filthy Souls isn't an actual film and they only made that one scene specifically for this film.
    "I'm gonna give you to the count of 10 to get your ugly, yellow, no-good keister off my property before I pump your guts full of lead… 1, 2, 10! Keep the change ya filthy animal…"

Necro wrote: »
    Totally agree on the Wilson assessment, it's a phenomenal performance by an actor I would normally have no time for.
    Glad you got got with the weepies LeVar and I'm not the only eejit, I was like a baby watching the movie the first time, bawled my eyes out!

Owen Wilson is great in Loki

15th place and 2 pts to
    Electric Nitwit

Whale Rider (2002)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298228/
    IMDB wrote:
    A contemporary story of love, rejection and triumph as a young Maori girl fights to fulfill a destiny her grandfather refuses to recognize.

X8PmxeTl.jpg

Have I Seen It Before: No

LeVar's Approval Rating: 43%

Review:

The things that saved this film from being an absolute disaster for me were the fact I have a soft spot for the Kiwis, and I really really liked all of the actors in this. l liked the dynamics and relationships between all of the family members, as well as the extended community, and I wish the whole film was just that ; a standard familial drama going through their highs and lows. There's a fair bit of that in here to be fair, some really great emotional scenes between the various characters, especially in the first half with Paikea's father and grandfather, but the framework of the story which serves as the backdrop is all about the whales and spirituality, which was fine at the start when that was merely the backdrop, however it completely takes over for the second half of the film and I could not have given less of a sh*t about it. Everything gets tied in a neat bow in the end without actually resolving any of the various relationship dramas through dialogue or with any emotion whatsoever, the Whale bullsh*t just brings everyone together and solves all of their problems and suddenly its one big happy ending, which I'm sure is great for anyone who was invested in the spiritual side of this film, but for me it was a completely unsatisfying way to end the story and almost soured me against the film entirely ; after thinking about it for awhile though, I was enjoying the first half well enough and it had its high points, so I have to give it some credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

4c823e28ff8f4242f7b14b67d09daf09.gif

Keep the change, you filthy animal

2nd place and 15 pts to
    Arghus

The Four Times (2010)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1646975/
    IMDB wrote:
    A beautiful combination of an old man's struggle to continue his goathearding life; the birth of a baby goats; a tree which becomes charcoal; and the lives of the simple people in the hills of Calabria. We see the stages of life through beautiful imagery at times dramatic and at times comical.

EsDwiNDl.jpg

LeVar's Approval Rating: 98%

Review:

Someone had told me about this one before. I think it had been playing at the IFI back when it was released and a friend was either trying to convince me to go see it with them or had even just been recommending it to me, so I looked it up at the time and it sounded like the biggest load of complete and utter artsy fartsy ****, meaning twenty-something me refused to go see it. Honestly, when thirty-something me saw it had been submitted, I still expected it to be complete and utter artsy fartsy ****, and it was one I was expecting to endure rather than enjoy, so I wasn't looking forward to it in the slightest, was even ready to get my red marker out and print a big fat F at the top of this report. I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit to being wrong though, and its healthy to be reminded from time to time not to pre-judge something, because this was just superb. It's a very simple slice of life story, there's no dialogue, and while its beautifully shot its nothing you won't have seen in a good nature documentary, but it all just works really well ; I found it very relaxing, and I was surprised by how invested I was in what was going on.

Little Miss Sunshine has a great ensemble cast

Which means either JP Liz V1 or osh is about to knock this out of the park, as I gave the top film in this round 100% approval...

The other just about scraped 22% from me... but what can I say, other than I can be a harsh critic at times... :pac::pac::pac:

15th place and 2 pts to
    Electric Nitwit

Whale Rider (2002)

Oops :o

Shame you didn't like it. I was utterly captivated by it. It was back when i used to frequent a great arthouse cinema in Bristol and would just watch whatever they had, usually knowing nothing about it. This was one of those films that just swept me up in the feel of it, more than the story, so I can see what you mean. I thought the lead actress was great in it though so once I thought of it for this round it stuck (the only film that nearly got in ahead of it was Empire of the Sun)

Sorry you didn't like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Shame you didn't like it. I was utterly captivated by it. It was back when i used to frequent a great arthouse cinema in Bristol and would just watch whatever they had, usually knowing nothing about it. This was one of those films that just swept me up in the feel of it, more than the story, so I can see what you mean. I thought the lead actress was great in it though so once I thought of it for this round it stuck (the only film that nearly got in was Empire of the Sun)

Sorry you didn't like it

I liked Whale Rider - and what a wonderful soundtrack by Lisa Gerrard!

Shame you didn't like it. I was utterly captivated by it. It was back when i used to frequent a great arthouse cinema in Bristol and would just watch whatever they had, usually knowing nothing about it. This was one of those films that just swept me up in the feel of it, more than the story, so I can see what you mean. I thought the lead actress was great in it though so once I thought of it for this round it stuck (the only film that nearly got in was Empire of the Sun)

Sorry you didn't like it

Ah don't be silly... 43% ain't all that bad (considering these numbers are relatively arbitrary and are only my opinion), and this was a tough round in fairness...

Miles better than Wild Palms anyway... :pac::pac::pac:

Last place and 1 pts to
    JP Liz V1

August Rush (2017)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426931/
    IMDB wrote:
    An orphaned musical prodigy uses his gift to try to find his birth parents.

xVMpmeql.jpg

LeVar's Approval Rating: 22%

Review:

Why the f*ck can't Jonathan Rhys Meyers do an Irish accent? He's from Dublin, he's Irish, he should not sound as terrible he does in this, especially since Kirsten Sheridan is the Director, and she's also Irish, so there's no excuse for how shockingly bad that accent is. Not a fan of Meyers in general, I struggle to warm to him in anything he's in, and this was no exception. The rest of the cast are all very good actors, I enjoyed their performances here, particularly Freddie Highmore and Keri Russell, although they didn't have much to work with as the writing is cringeworthy at best. It's also always great to see Robin Williams in a movie I hadn't already seen him in before, although on the list of iconic Williams performances August Rush won't be making the cut for me ; he's grand here, really nice to see him, but not a performance to write home about. The music ranged from bad to slightly tolerable with a hint of something decent, so for a film that music plays such an integral part in, that element was just a massive disappointment overall. I actually hated the overall premise, thought it was really convoluted and cheesy, and then it started winning me over a bit about halfway through, largely thanks to a couple of decent scenes, and I started looking forward to the inevitable reunion, but it ends up being a huge let down as the film just sort of ends abruptly (I can see what they were going for, but they hadn't earned that sort of ending as far as I'm concerned), so I found the ending completely unsatisfying just as the film had begun winning me over slightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The Four Times is a modern classic, more people should watch it.

I really recommend all of The Pusher Trilogy. All three are hypnotic and the third is one of the most chilling films I've ever watched.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Shame you didn't like it. I was utterly captivated by it. It was back when i used to frequent a great arthouse cinema in Bristol and would just watch whatever they had, usually knowing nothing about it. This was one of those films that just swept me up in the feel of it, more than the story, so I can see what you mean. I thought the lead actress was great in it though so once I thought of it for this round it stuck (the only film that nearly got in ahead of it was Empire of the Sun)

Sorry you didn't like it

Surprised you didn't go with Sing Street :D

1st place and 16 pts to
    osh

Paper Moon (1973)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070510/
    IMDB wrote:
    During the Great Depression, a con man finds himself saddled with a young girl who may or may not be his daughter, and the two forge an unlikely partnership.

e2FCdjzl.jpg

LeVar's Approval Rating: 100%

Review:

If I didn't know beforehand that this was made in the 1970s, I most likely would have assumed it was filmed in the 1930s or 1940s ; it certainly wouldn't feel out of place alongside films of Hollywood's Golden Age despite being made at a much later date. Long story short, I absolutely adored it, exactly my kind of film, and they really don't make them much better than this as far as I'm concerned. The story, the setting, the cinematography, the acting, the style, the perfect balance of humour and sincerity, I'd really struggle to find anything negative to say about it. Tatum O'Neal absolutely stole the show with her performance, but Ryan O'Neal was equally impressive and it was interesting watching a real life daughter and father play these characters. I actually regret reading up on their personal lives after watching the film, because it soured the feel-good high I was on throughout the movie, but that's neither here nor there in regards to my enjoyment of the film itself of course. It's discovering gems like this that made me want to do another Movie Walrus so soon after both my LeVar Goes To The Movies debut and the TV Walrus I undertook not long after that. Excellent choice, and one of the main highlights of the entire Walrus ; and I'm saying that while only half way through watching the second round...

Which means either JP Liz V1 or osh is about to knock this out of the park, as I gave the top film in this round 100% approval...
    The other just about scraped 22% from me... but what can I say, other than I can be a harsh critic at times... :pac::pac::pac:

:o:( Whoops

I do think Freddie Highmore is an excellent actor

I kinda see August Rush as an updated music modern take on Oliver Twist

So after two impressive rounds, Arghus takes a well deserved lead, but strong starts from cee_jay, Rikand, and osh see them not too far behind.

Liz, Aris, and Alfred somewhat stumble out of the gate at the other end of things, but there's still plenty of Walrus to play and it can all change

Contender Sequels Kids/Animals Sports Ladies Double #1 Double #2 Total
    Arghus 16 15 31
    cee_jay 15 13 28
    Rikand 12 14 26
    osh 9 16 25
    Sawduck 14 8 22
    the purple tin 13 7 20
    Necro 5 11 16
    Kolido 6 10 16
    aaronjennings 7 9 16
    ShaneU 11 5 16
    mustang shelly 3 12 15
    Reberetta 8 6 14
    Electric Nitwit 11 2 13
    Alfred Borden 4 3 7
    Irish Aris 1 4 5
    JP Liz V1 2 1 3

Will be doing the Round 3 Reveal: A Question of Sport tomorrow afternoon about 3pm and then Round 4 Reveal: Ladies Night about 9pm once Kolido has finished his own Walrus reveal for the evening...

Excellent choice, and one of the main highlights of the entire Walrus ; and I'm saying that while only half way through watching the second round...
    Wow! Well played osh, I'll have to add that to my list (I think I've managed one film this year, it may take a while :p)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :o:( Whoops

I do think Freddie Highmore is an excellent actor

I kinda see August Rush as an updated music modern take on Oliver Twist

There were definitely elements of that (those were the bits I quite enjoyed), but overall just didn't do it for me...

Unfortunate Liz, but there's always tomorrow's rounds, and at the end of the day who really cares what I think... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Paper Moon was wonderful, great choice

Wow! Well played osh, I'll have to add that to my list (I think I've managed one film this year, it may take a while :p)

***check notes***

100+ so far...

giphy.gif

***check notes***

100+ so far...

giphy.gif
    Good work! I do love my films, but life has been a bit crazy this year. Looking forward to getting back to the cinema later in the year, there's a few trailers that have really whet my appetite (Last Night in Soho and Reminiscence in particular)

Sawduck wrote: »
    Paper Moon was wonderful, great choice

I never seen it, I believe though Tatum O'Neal won an Oscar, youngest ever winner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I never seen it, I believe though Tatum O'Neal won an Oscar, youngest ever winner
    Really? I always though no child had ever wona an oscar, mostly they won't even get nominated.

• Advertisement

Anna Paquin got one for The Piano as well when she was 11.

There were definitely elements of that (those were the bits I quite enjoyed), but overall just didn't do it for me...
    Unfortunate Liz, but there's always tomorrow's rounds, and at the end of the day who really cares what I think... :D

I do hope I at least submitted one you liked and enjoyed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Great to see Paper Moon was new to you Le Var, and anyone else who hasn't seen it. Its a wonderful movie, and great acting.

Yeah Tatum O'Neal won best supporting Oscar - youngest ever, 10 years old

Arghus wrote: »
    Anna Paquin got one for The Piano as well when she was 11.
    osh wrote: »
    Yeah Tatum O'Neal won best supporting Oscar - youngest ever, 10 years old
    Aha, I was reading an article about how children never get best actor oscars- they might win supporting actor even though they were clearly the main star in the film.

She probably deserved it that year alright, from what I've read.

Looked it up out of curiosity.

Youngest best actor was Adrian Brody (29) in The Pianist , and best actress was Marlee Matlin (21), Children of a Lesser God

Quvenzhané Wallis was nominated for Best Actress back in 2013 when was nine. Though she didn't win, of course.

Abigail Breslin received a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress at the age 10 for Little Miss Sunshine

Had a read back of the reviews there for the first two rounds (yeah, yeah, if I had done that before I posted the reveals, I could've edited them, but whatever :pac:) and it's worth pointing out that my reviews get a bit lazier as the tournament goes on, I didn't remember being so cut-throat in some of the reviews (apologies to those who bore the brunt of my venom and remember to take it all with a pinch of salt since I like being overly dramatic ;)), and I definitely contradict some minor things I've said in other reviews later in the tournament, but that's just how I roll...

Hope you all enjoyed the reveal tonight anyway.

LeVar a great enjoyable double reveal, I have some new movies I need to see

• Advertisement

Drat! I thought of a great film for the children and animals category. Hunt For The Wilderpeople.

I always remember loads of them when it's too late :mad:

Drat! I thought of a great film for the children and animals category. Hunt For The Wilderpeople.

That would've done pretty well. I love Hunt For the Wilderpeople.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I was reading this round and thinking why didn't I nominate this or Jojo Rabbit. Still very happy with my choice though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really glad you liked Hot Shots! It's a movie that delivers on so many levels but most of all the laughing out loud level. Always loved that Ryan Stiles of Who's line is it Anyway fame is in it..... "It's locked, from the inside...."

And sure I couldnt not submit Home Alone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great reveal LeVar, a lot of shows I've not seen listed.

A few dollars more, Im a big Eastwood fan and this is my favourite from the dollar trilogy, although it is not really a sequal. Could have went with something obvious but wanted to pick one you might not have seen. I would agree with your point on van cleef, he makes the movie, such a cool character.

Cujo, only even seen it once, some years back and remembered liking it. I probably could have picked better here but couldnt think of much that wasnt completely mainstream.

Looking forward to the next rounds.

Rikand wrote: »
    Really glad you liked Hot Shots! It's a movie that delivers on so many levels but most of all the laughing out loud level. Always loved that Ryan Stiles of Who's line is it Anyway fame is in it..... "It's locked, from the inside...."

And sure I couldnt not submit Home Alone :D
    Lloyd Bridges was great in them films as the brainless (literally) officer.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fqph.fs.quoracdn.net%2Fmain-qimg-07d95404f219e8dce3f3ac3c3381877f&f=1&nofb=1

'What time is the mission tomorrow?'
    'Oh-700, Sir'
    'OK, wake me up around, oh... six thirty' :D
    The big showdown between him and and Sadaam was a hoot as well.

Bridges and Leslie Nielsen started doing comedy roles after Airplane. They were straight, macho type actors before that which was what the directors wanted rather than comedy actors.
    In fact Nielsen always said he wasn't a comedy actor, he played straight characters who are oblivious to all the mad stuff going on around them.

Reminder, we've got a matinee performance this afternoon...

3pm is Round 3: A Question of Sport

Had quite a few duplicate entries in this round, so only 13 unique films making an appearance this afternoon... As always starting from the middle outwards...

giphy.gif

Joined in 7th place with 10 pts each are
    the purple tin
    and
    cee_jay

Invictus (2009)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1057500/
    IMDB wrote:
    Nelson Mandela, in his first term as President of South Africa, initiates a unique venture to unite the Apartheid-torn land: enlist the national rugby team on a mission to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

YssiRsEl.jpg

LeVar's Approval Rating: 86%

Review:

I've given out about his acting several times throughout the Walrus, but this time around I will be heaping some praise on Clint Eastwood, who refrained from giving himself a role in this one and just stuck to the Directorial duties, which paid off on spades ; much easier to make a great film when you focus on directing instead of wanderin about in the limelight chewing the scenery. It's hard to go too far wrong with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon in the leading roles, but the entire cast do a great job, and it's a brilliant feel-good story, enhanced further by the fact it's based on actual events. One of those films that I always meant to get around to seeing long before now, but tended to get buried further and further down my watchlist as newer and shinier films came along, so very glad to have been prodded into watching it finally. It was a very easy watch as well for a film of its length ; I often find that films over two hours long can sometimes drag a bit, but this one absolutely flew by. The top half of this round I've rated very highly, and on this occasion I just enjoyed the other films above this that little bit more.

• Advertisement

Joined in 8th place with 8 points each are
    Necro
    and
    Kolido

Million Dollar Baby (2004)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405159/
    IMDB wrote:
    A determined woman works with a hardened boxing trainer to become a professional.

wzajeFFl.jpg

LeVar's Approval Rating: 82%

Review:

A really great story, and an otherwise perfect cast, dragged down (and not for the first time in this Walrus) by Clint Eastwood's acting performance. With a different actor in one of the leading roles, this film could have easily rated in the high 90s for me, but in case you didn't hear me the first few reviews I mentioned it in, Clint Eastwood is not an actor I have a lot of time for. I'm not going to say he can't act, because he suits the Spaghetti Western hero for which he's best known, and he's grand in those, but in a film like this you need actors who have a lot of range and can do more than three facial expressions ; Eastwood can only do "Grimacing", "Squinting", and "Grimacing while Squinting". As a director, big Clint is alright, hasn't blown me away or anything with his directorial skills, but I've no problem with him being behind the camera, I just don't want to see him on-screen anymore. That all said, the rest of the cast manage to bring their best to the table which keeps my distaste for the old Cowboy at bay enough to allow me still give the film a fairly decent rating, as overall it is a good movie. Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman are superb, Jay Baruchel is a delight, some big name actors that I very much enjoy in some of the smaller roles, and of course we also have a couple of scenes with Margo Martindale aka. the greatest character actor to have ever worked in the TV and Film industry (that's a BoJack Horseman reference, to anyone sitting there scratching their heads wondering why I'm making such a big deal about someone who has less than five minutes screen-time). In short, could've been a contender to top the list in this round were it not for my dislike of Clint Eastwood as an actor.

Advertisement