Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Walrus: LeVar Goes To The Pictures Part II - Electric Boogaloo... THE REVEAL

Options
  • 18-06-2021 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭

Get your Popcorn sorted because THE REVEAL is finally happening... THIS WEEKEND!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Schedule will hopefully look a little like this provided I'm not clashing with other reveals...

Today circa 4.30pm: The Big Big Preview - LeVar's Personal Picks

Tonight circa 10pm: Friday Night Grindhouse (Double Bill) - Rounds 1 & 2

Tomorrow Afternoon circa 3pm: The Saturday Matinee - Round 3

Tomorrow Evening circa 9pm: Ladies Night - Round 4

Sunday Evening circa 8pm: The Double Feature Finale - Round 5/6

A reminder of The Categories:

1. The One With All The Sequels - as this is my Movie Walrus Sequel, what better category to kick things off than a search for some seriously sweet sequels. I'm not looking for the best sequels of all-time, and I'd like to see people think outside the box for this one rather than go for the obvious... I just want a good enjoyable sequel that preferably also works as a stand-alone film and I don't have to know what happened in the first one to enjoy it…

2. Never Work With Children or Animals - if you've ever worked on set with a child or an animal you'll know that either of those unpredictable little buggers can bring an entire production to a halt by refusing to play ball, and even if they are cooperative, kids and animals can only work for a set amount of time a day which is a pain if you're trying to make a movie, so I can appreciate films where the main character is a child actor or an animal, especially when they're done really well, so that's what I want here

3. A Question of Sport - not a big Sports fan, but always seem to enjoy Sports Movies no matter the genre, so there's an open goal for the taking here if you can get your shot in… I have a particular fondness for underdog stories especially, but I don't want to limit the category to those, so anything goes as long as Sports is the background for it

4. Ladies Night - it's no secret that there's a gender inbalance in the film industry, so lets try and right that wrong by celebrating the women folk. Pretty broad category here, just want something with a strong female character in the main role, and who isn't overshadowed or fighting for screentime with a male counterpart

5/6. Choose Your Own Adventure/The Double Feature - I did a Selection Box in my LeVar's Stocking Filler's quickfire Christmas themed Music Walrus where people got to choose 1 song from a selection of 5 sub-categories, and I ended up really loving the variety that was born from giving people an option, and it also allows to go for some more niche options, so it was a no-brainer to do something along those lines again. However, I also wanted to double the fun for the last round and have more points up for grabs and more chances to obtain those points, so Pick 2 Movies to send me from any the sub-categories below… You can use the same category twice if you want, or have a pick'n'mix as all choices from all sub-categories will face off and be ranked against each other, and your two movies will also be ranked against all the rest here - so in theory you could win both first and second place in this round, or indeed pick two stinkers and end up in both the bottom spots (it'll make sense at the reveal, but basically, pick 2 films overall from any of the categories below)
    • To B or Not To B - I'm a big fan of low budget, critically panned, cult classic B-Movies, and always on the lookout for some new ones
    • The Early Bird Special - gotten into the oldies a lot more in recent years, so hit me with a film that was released before 1950
    • The Estevez Festivez - a running gag on Cougar Town was that the characters would binge watch Emilio Estevez movies, and I've always wanted to do something like that, so quite simply, any movie starring the man himself
    • Off-Broadway - I like musicals, but I've seen most of the big budget well known ones, so trying to find a few of the more obscure lesser known movie musicals if you've got any
    • The Teen Scream - who doesn't love seeing teenagers being hunted down and killed by serial killers and the like… this one is pretty self-explanatory I think
    • It's The End of the World As We Know It and I Feel Fine - any sort of natural disaster or impending apocalypse movie, that balances exciting and epic action with interesting characters that I give a sh*t about
    • Caged In - I've not watched a whole lot of Nicolas Cage films, but I'm fascinated by the idea of how he is both a brilliant and terrible actor simultaneously, so any film in which he stars for this one

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

6NEc.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Alright!!!
    The weekend shapes up nicely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

I never score very highly in these Walruses, and looking back at my nominations, I expect no different this time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I never score very highly in these Walruses, and looking back at my nominations, I expect no different this time :P

I haven't done up the scoreboards and not entirely sure who submitted what yet (had all that on a separate spreadsheet) so who knows how anyone did... ;)

What I'm doing now in about 15 minutes is just sharing the 11 films (one for each category or sub-category) that I might have submitted, bit of a tease as to what my tastes are which may have you feeling quietly confident or already sh*tting the bed going into this weekend's festivities...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

About time too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I'm always the opposite, I assume I'm going to win until proven wrong, my dreams crushed and cast aside

Alright, let's whet some appetites before tonight's late(ish) night premiere...

giphy.gif

LeVar's Pick: The One With All The Sequels

Psyhco II (1983)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086154/
    IMDB wrote:
    After twenty-two years of psychiatric care, Norman Bates attempts to return to a life of solitude, but the specters of his crimes - and his mother - continue to haunt him.

TjFnxK9l.jpg

You'd think doing an official sequel to a Hitchcock movie without his involvement would be the ultimate sin, but it's surprisingly brilliant

LeVar's Pick: Never Work With Children or Animals

Into The West (1992)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104522/
    IMDB wrote:
    Grandpa Ward gives a horse he found to his grandchildren, who keep it in their tower-block flat in Dublin. The horse is stolen from them, and the two young boys set out to find it and flee on it.

1eJ3lqUl.jpg

The greatest Irish film ever made. FACT.

• Advertisement

LeVar's Pick: A Question of Sport

Eddie The Eagle (2015)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1083452/
    IMDB wrote:
    The story of Eddie Edwards, the notoriously tenacious British underdog ski jumper who charmed the world at the 1988 Winter Olympics.

qVilxWcl.jpg

Unique Sport… Check. Underdog Story… Check. Feel Good Flick… Check.

Ah, completely forgot Eddie the Eagle.
    Such a lovely film!!

Edit: Cool Runnings would have been a good shout too.

LeVar's Pick: Ladies Night

The Miseducation of Cameron Post (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6257174/
    IMDB wrote:
    In 1993, a teenage girl is forced into a gay conversion therapy center by her conservative guardians.

xw6XhHfl.jpg

Chloe Grace Moretz is one of my favourite actors these days, she's been in some great movies lately, and I loved this one.

LeVar's Pick: To B or Not To B

WolfCop (2014)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2781516/
    IMDB wrote:
    As a series of strange and violent events begin to occur, an alcoholic policeman realizes that he has been turned into a werewolf as part of a larger plan.

DPyfHBvl.jpg

If it looks and sounds awesome that's because it is f**king amazing. It's also kind of awful, but in an amazing way.

LeVar's Pick: The Early Bird Special

These Three (1936)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028356/
    IMDB wrote:
    Two school teachers and the man they both love face ruin when a malicious student cooks up a lie.

rmaB4Gml.jpg

A really good drama film, there's something to be said for the simplicity of 1930s cinema.

LeVar's Pick: The Estevez Festivez

The Public (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3294746/
    IMDB wrote:
    An act of civil disobedience turns into a standoff with police when homeless people in Cincinnati take over the public library to seek shelter from the bitter cold.

cD9TQSsl.jpg

Randomly stumbled upon this one on Sky Movies one night, a hidden gem if ever there was one, and Estevez at his absolute best.

LeVar's Pick: Off-Broadway

Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6433880/
    IMDB wrote:
    A zombie apocalypse threatens the sleepy town of Little Haven - at Christmas - forcing Anna and her friends to fight, slash and sing their way to survival, facing the undead in a desperate race to reach their loved ones.

zElWIukl.jpg

This is just delightful… and gory… with great music… it almost made me like Christmas…

LeVar's Pick: The Teen Scream

Blood Fest (2018)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7208564/
    IMDB wrote:
    Fans flock to a festival celebrating the most iconic horror movies, only to discover that the charismatic showman behind the event has a diabolical agenda.

qfKebD0l.jpg

Very meta and on the nose in terms of hitting all the Teen Scream tropes, which I enjoy immensely.

LeVar's Pick: It's The End of the World As We Know It and I Feel Fine

The Wave (2015)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3616916/
    IMDB wrote:
    Although anticipated, no one is really ready when the mountain pass above the scenic, narrow Norwegian fjord Geiranger collapses and creates an 85-meter high violent tsunami. A geologist is one of those caught in the middle of it.

Z398OB1l.jpg

Forget Hollywood blockbusters, if you want a really really good disaster movie, check out this Norwegian gem.

LeVar's Pick: Caged In

Mom and Dad (2017)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5462326/
    IMDB wrote:
    A teenage girl and her younger brother must survive a wild 24 hours during which a mass hysteria of unknown origin causes parents to turn violently on their own kids.

gkwW4C3l.jpg

Does exactly what it says on the tin. Eighty minutes of pure bliss watching this one.

• Advertisement

During the actual reveal posts won't be flying up as quickly as that, as I need to create a bit of tension and leave room for chat, but just wanted to quickly throw up my own choices to get the ball rolling and the excitement building, a bit like a Trailer might do... ;)

Will see you all back here about 10pm (maybe a little bit earlier depending on when I'm free to begin) for the Red Carpet Premiere and the start of the Walrus proper...

Before we get down to business later tonight let's take a minute to meet the cast of this Movie Walrus Sequel

giphy.gif

We couldn't pay our main protagonist and winner of the first LeVar Goes To The Pictures, s1ippy, enough money to return for a sequel, so a new star shall be born this time around, and walk away with their fist pumped in the air as the end credits roll...

But will it be a fan favourite from the first feature or new blood brought in to spice things up in an attempt to win big at the box office, that will emerge as our new Hero?

ShaneU, who was almost as popular as s1ippy in the previous outing is the early favourite to play the leading role in the follow up, but he's joined by other fan favourites Kolido and Irish Aris who also proved their worth in the original and will likely be fighting for plenty of screentime.

Necro, who failed to win over the audience the first time around and walked away with the Wooden Spoon, but tested well with focus groups in the TV Spin-Off, is being given a second chance to impress the film critics after his small screen success.

Speaking of the TV Spin-Off, while he didn't get top billing in the earlier Film, Sawduck emerged as a huge favourite in the more episodic and serialized setting, achieving the win there, so will be hoping to go toe to toe with the big dogs after impressing fans in the TV world.

Also returning from both the previous film and the TV spin-off series are JP Liz V1 and the purple tin, and both hoping to breakout and come into the forefront of the franchise a bit more this time around.

Making their big screen debuts after a test run in the TV series are cee_jay, Electric Nitwit, Alfred Borden, and aaronjennings. Will they survive the transition from television to cinema?

And of course it wouldn't be a true sequel without some fresh blood as Rikand, osh, mustang_shelly, and Arghus join the cast for the very first time and all hope to make an impression and stand out from their more seasoned co-stars...

16 potential heroes, or perhaps potential victims, will fight to walk away with the big pay check, as they face off against this series' answer to Freddy Kruger... Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Necro, who failed to win over the audience the first time around and walked away with the Wooden Spoon, but tested well with focus groups in the TV Spin-Off, is being given a second chance to impress the film critics after his small screen success.

tenor.gif

That was an awesome "Meet the Cast" introduction!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

link to the first game, trying to remember why I'm an early favourite in this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115232678

ShaneU wrote: »
    link to the first game, trying to remember why I'm an early favourite in this

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115232678

It's because you walked away with the second biggest paycheck after winning the silver, so the audience are expecting big things from you... :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 85,321 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Ah, completely forgot Eddie the Eagle.
    Such a lovely film!!
    Edit: Cool Runnings would have been a good shout too.

I love Cool Runnings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I like how you are revealing all the rounds within a few days, we usually have to wait ages to find out the results. It's a lot of work you are putting in so fair play lavar

Sawduck wrote: »
    I like how you are revealing all the rounds within a few days, we usually have to wait ages to find out the results. It's a lot of work you are putting in so fair play lavar

Sure this is the easy part... Its mainly a copy and paste job (with a tiny bit of formatting) for me from here on in... Did all the reviews and sourced movie posters/links/imdb synopsis as I was watching each film... As long as the wifi or laptop or boards don't crash, its all easy street...

• Advertisement

Sure this is the easy part... Its mainly a copy and paste job (with a tiny bit of formatting) for me from here on in... Did all the reviews and sourced movie posters/links/imdb synopsis as I was watching each film... As long as the wifi or laptop or boards don't crash, its all easy street...

Advertisement