Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI connection

Options
  • 14-01-2021 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I bought a pc for my son off Facebook the guy has disappeared but the hdmi is not working anyone have any idea

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I wrote out an answer then deleted it.... It's definitely something that can be troubleshooted troublehshot? Whatever.... but it depends on your level of ability really. Like the simple stuff is easy like checking the monitor is set to HDMI input via the monitor menu or if the monitor came with the pc to check it on another pc to see if that's the issue. Changing the cable, changing to display port cable if that's an option.

But then we get into slightly funkier issues of does it have it's own graphics card? Has that come loose in taking it from the seller to yours? You can reseat it to make sure. Can you test it on another machine or are you able to just take it out completely and then test the computer using just onboard graphics? Or if it only has onboard graphics does anyone in the family have a piece of junk older gfx card lying about that you can borrow to test with.

So on and so forth...

EDIT: Also how do you know it's a hdmi issue? If the seller has gone dark how are you ruling out that there's nothing else wrong with the machine that's preventing it from booting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Any other connections on it you can try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭jj880

Try different hdmi lead. Try different monitor or a tv.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A lot of info is missing here.

What are the PC specs? What's the GPU? What version is the HDMI cable? What's the monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Spear wrote: »
    A lot of info is missing here.

What are the PC specs? What's the GPU? What version is the HDMI cable? What's the monitor?

I took some pictures will I put them up ,I changed the cable and it was connected to a tv

• Advertisement

I took some pictures will I put them up ,I changed the cable and it was connected to a tv
    Thanks for the replies if you need any more I can do that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You don't have the specs from the ad? Also, I'm a bit worried you paid money for that 10 year old machine.

It's an AMD processor, and what looks like an nVidia GPU though.

You don't have the specs from the ad? Also, I'm a bit worried you paid money for that 10 year old machine.

It's an AMD processor, and what looks like an nVidia GPU though.

400 ,specs are gone with the add,did I get robbed

400 ,specs are gone with the add,did I get robbed

I'd be hesitant to give an absolute answer without detailed specs, but I'm not optimistic.

I'd be hesitant to give an absolute answer without detailed specs, but I'm not optimistic.

What would you think I could do to fix it or is it unfixable

• Advertisement

What would you think I could do to fix it or is it unfixable

Could be a lot of things. A replacement GPU would be cheap enough, if your needs are minimal.

What screen is it being connected to? Are you sure the PC is starting okay? Have you tried reseating the GPU and it's power connectors?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Did you see it working in the first place?

As Canis said - how do you know its the HDMI?

Any beeps from the pc on boot up?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,849 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks for the replies if you need any more I can do that

Where were you plugging the HDMI into the PC. The horizontal slots at the bottom or the vertical slot at the top left (I think that's a HDMI slot but I can't be sure from the photo)?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where were you plugging the HDMI into the PC. The horizontal slots at the bottom or the vertical slot at the top left (I think that's a HDMI slot but I can't be sure from the photo)?

I was going to say pop the card out and plug in the on-board slot but I'm really not sure I see one

First thing I noticed was the PS2 ports and thought, "I've not seen those for a while" :(

Could be a lot of things. A replacement GPU would be cheap enough, if your needs are minimal.

What screen is it being connected to? Are you sure the PC is starting okay? Have you tried reseating the GPU and it's power connectors?

It turns on and the fans turn on but the screen is blank

fritzelly wrote: »
    Did you see it working in the first place?

As Canis said - how do you know its the HDMI?

Any beeps from the pc on boot up?

I saw it turn on them ,but now the fan turns on and there is power

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

theteal wrote: »
    I was going to say pop the card out and plug in the on-board slot but I'm really not sure I see one
    There isn't one - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_PLUS/

1 x PS/2 keyboard
    1 x LAN (Gigabit Ethernet)
    1 x PS/2 mouse
    8 x USB 2.0
    1 x serial
    1 x audio line-out - mini-jack
    1 x audio line-in - mini-jack
    1 x microphone - mini-jack
    It turns on and the fans turn on but the screen is blank
    Do the fans on the GPU turn too?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭grumpygit

Had same issue with an amd tx5700xt gpu card.. after numerous contact with amd etc and no fix I eventually got around it with a dp to hdmi cable..cost 12 GBP from Amazon ...
    Rankie DisplayPort (DP) to HDMI Cable, 4K Resolution Ready..might be worth a try if your pc has DP connection. My pc used to boot using default drivers but once amd drivers updated I lost HDMI connectivity.

TitianGerm wrote: »

Please answer this. If you are connecting to a verical HDMI port in the upper section of ports chances are you will have no signal. Try connecting to the horizontal HDMI port on the graphics card in the lower section.

Edit: just saw the spec with no HDMI port in upper ports.

There isn't one - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_PLUS/

1 x PS/2 keyboard
    1 x LAN (Gigabit Ethernet)
    1 x PS/2 mouse
    8 x USB 2.0
    1 x serial
    1 x audio line-out - mini-jack
    1 x audio line-in - mini-jack
    1 x microphone - mini-jack

Do the fans on the GPU turn too?

The front two fans turn on is that what you mean and the one inside

• Advertisement

jj880 wrote: »
    Please answer this. If you are connecting to a verical HDMI port in the upper section of ports chances are you will have no signal. Try connecting to the horizontal HDMI port on the graphics card in the lower section.

I connected it here

I connected it here

I connected it to the middle one

I connected it to the middle one

Sorry the picture won’t send

Sorry the picture won’t send

No worries. Going by the motherboard spec posted it looks like there is only 1 HDMI port available on your pc so the problem must be something else.

If you had dvi or vga you could try that.

greasepalm wrote: »
    If you had dvi or vga you could try that.

What dvis
    Could anyone tell me how much it’s actually worth my son is very disappointed obviously

Thank you for all your replies so far I’m really not very up to date in these things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Plug out the hard drive and ram and power it on.

What dvis
    Could anyone tell me how much it’s actually worth my son is very disappointed obviously

Thank you for all your replies so far I’m really not very up to date in these things

Anyone you trust you could get to take a look? A family member or family friend who would know about PC builds? Show them this thread.

• Advertisement

It was the pre hdmi range old school.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/DVI_vs_VGA

Advertisement