Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI connection

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, I'm afraid it's worth very little and it's going to take a little bit of work to diagnose. I'm guessing you're not going to be comfortable with disconnecting and/or removing bits?

There appears to be no on-board graphics (built into the big main motherboard) so it looks like the graphics card (GPU - the chunky bit that's plugged in perpendicular to the motherboard with HDMI socket on it) is doing all the display work. This could very well be faulty but it would be prudent to check each socket on it, not just the HDMI.

The 2 white sockets to the left of the HDMI socket are DVI. Does the monitor/screen have a similar port? If so, you could use a DVI cable to connect them (will not carry sound though). If not, you could try a DVI > HDMI adapter to test this with the HDMI cable? Either way, it's going to take a few extra bits which you may not have to hand.

If the card is faulty, a cheap card will do the trick for the basics but I'm not sure I could recommend throwing more money at this machine - and that's before we get to how it's intended to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

cursai wrote: »
    Plug out the hard drive and ram and power it on.

How would I plug out the hard drive and ram where is it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Confusing me also how it might boot up if programs on the hdd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭jj880

greasepalm wrote: »
    Confusing me also how it might boot up if programs on the hdd?

I think the aim is not a full boot but just to get a picture on screen. A faulty ram stick can prevent a power on as far as i remember. Then you would know you need a new ram stick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Op, could you include your location as someone local might be able to help out and take a look or recommend someone for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Kimbot wrote: »
    Op, could you include your location as someone local might be able to help out and take a look or recommend someone for you.

Waterford

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Waterford

Unfortunately I am in laois so wouldnt be in a possition to help out at the moment.

Advertisement