Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost of Tsushima

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,502 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    I feel like the dog in Up every time I play this. Riding somewhere with great purpose and steely determinaFOX!!!

Not even trying to bother with stealth either. Standoff every single time even if I'm going to be completely surrounded after it. Have the chain standoff kills and the smoke bombs which help too.

I keep forgetting about smoke bombs. I'm the same, I'll start stealthy but have no problem if it turns into a brawl. I just finished a boss in act 2 that unlocked my slaughter move, goddamn that's class. Just gonna stick to the main missions as i feel like i will get burned out doing all the side stuff and really enjoying the main ones atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Finished the story yesterday and very much enjoyed the whole experience. Really beautiful looking and sounding game, good combat, and an engaging tale and side quests. The lack of humour was a bit jarring at the beginning, but I got over that quickly. I found some parts of it very moving, and enjoyed the contemplative nature of doing haikus, chasing foxes, and climbing shrines. I also enjoyed hacking lads to sh!te then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished Act 1 earlier. Not sure if I'm starting to feel a bit bored by it now though. I think I'm going to just stick to main and proper side missions rather than the small stuff which pops up, and just belt through it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

This is on my must get back into list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If there is a proper next gen upgrade coming, I'll definitely play this again but with the intention of being as honorable as possible and keeping the dishonorable moves for the must-do missions. Just to see if the weather reacts.

• Advertisement

On the last mission of act 2 i think, have my badass family armour and call out enemies any chance i get, it's class.

Any idea what armour is on this jin pop? I thought it would be the family armour but it doesn't look like that.

https://www.popinabox.ie/merch-figures/ghost-of-tsushima-jin-sakai-funko-pop-vinyl/12466818.html

Edit: found it, ghost armour i get in a mission or 2, Bollox as I've spent all my resources upgrading the family armour.

I feel like punishing a ghost playthrough with bad weather is an odd choice. The entire theme of the story is that you need to do whatever it takes to get the job done/to do the right thing and so the traditional methods are not always the best methods. "The proud do not endure." and all that and yet my game was giving me storm and lightning all over the place as if I was the bad guy. :D

I didn't realise acting more 'ghosty' affects the weather. I do mostly act honourably as I much prefer standoffs and combat to the stealth, but using the ghost weapons during the combat is too damn good.

It does annoy me though that it somewhat forces you into stealth in some sections. Even clearing out a farm earlier where there were hostages, I didn't bother with stealth and ended up having to bounce from hostage to hostage to save them while in combat, which isn't always easy with the lack of manual lock-on.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Edit: found it, ghost armour i get in a mission or 2, Bollox as I've spent all my resources upgrading the family armour.

I have that POP. Pre-ordered it soon after the game came out, then lockdown so I only managed to pick it up just before Christmas. It's really nice in comparison to other POPs I have.
    I feel like punishing a ghost playthrough with bad weather is an odd choice. The entire theme of the story is that you need to do whatever it takes to get the job done/to do the right thing and so the traditional methods are not always the best methods. "The proud do not endure." and all that and yet my game was giving me storm and lightning all over the place as if I was the bad guy. :D

I think it fits nicely. You're going against the Samurai way, and the weather getting worse is a nice effect if you consider that it's following the honor, the less honorable the worse the weather, the worse the weather the worse the country is. That's the way I look at it anyway.
    It does annoy me though that it somewhat forces you into stealth in some sections. Even clearing out a farm earlier where there were hostages, I didn't bother with stealth and ended up having to bounce from hostage to hostage to save them while in combat, which isn't always easy with the lack of manual lock-on.

I wasn't aware myself until I read about it. But at least it gives you a flute tune to change the weather! The forced stealth did annoy me too, but I suppose it had to be done in order to fit the story and name of the game.

I have a game in my head which is basically GoT, but just called Tsushima and it's up to you if you want to go honorable or Ghost, multiple choices in combat situations and ending depending on your choices (you'd only get an honorable ending if you were 100% honorable at all times).

I have that POP. Pre-ordered it soon after the game came out, then lockdown so I only managed to pick it up just before Christmas. It's really nice in comparison to other POPs I have.

I think it fits nicely. You're going against the Samurai way, and the weather getting worse is a nice effect if you consider that it's following the honor, the less honorable the worse the weather, the worse the weather the worse the country is. That's the way I look at it anyway.

I wasn't aware myself until I read about it. But at least it gives you a flute tune to change the weather! The forced stealth did annoy me too, but I suppose it had to be done in order to fit the story and name of the game.

I have a game in my head which is basically GoT, but just called Tsushima and it's up to you if you want to go honorable or Ghost, multiple choices in combat situations and ending depending on your choices (you'd only get an honorable ending if you were 100% honorable at all times).

I think it makes the story better that you can't always choose the honourable path and that causes an internal conflict for Jin.

But mainly I just want to throw bombs at enemies stupid faces and not be punished for it.

Finished act 2, absolutely epic! That last chapter felt like tenchu. Made absolute bits of the boss compared to the end of act 1, roll on Act 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Still in act 2, I've burned myself out doing side activities. Just gonna blast through the rest of the story.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Still in act 2, I've burned myself out doing side activities. Just gonna blast through the rest of the story.

I'm only sticking to the main (bar following the odd bird and fox) and loving it. I definitely think it's helping I'm ignoring the side stuff even though I'm really enjoying the gameplay but the main missions are great.

Sunk a decent amount of hours into it last night. Still trying to just focus on main missions or named side character missions. But then I stumbled into the side quest featuring the ronin duels and ended up going for most of them last night. Class.

Also did one stupid side mission where you had to repeatedly find small shrines in an area, which could be identified by white smoke. And the game decided to make it dark and FOGGY. Find the white smoke, in the f*cking fog.

Still not enjoying the stealth or having to save hostages, and the controls to switch bows/arrows keeps throwing me. But other than that the game is still fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If there is a proper next gen upgrade coming, I'll definitely play this again but with the intention of being as honorable as possible and keeping the dishonorable moves for the must-do missions. Just to see if the weather reacts.

The weather reacts to how you play? I must have been an awful bastard as the weather was nearly always ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

lertsnim wrote: »
    The weather reacts to how you play? I must have been an awful bastard as the weather was nearly always ****e.

Yep, the more ghost-like you act, the stormer it becomes. The more honorable, the sunnier it becomes. You can alter it with music, but it rarely seemed worthwhile.

My major gripe about stealth was that early on when clearing camps you're incentivised to monitor camp leaders to learn skills without alerting them - which I really loved.

But because I levelled up relatively quickly and learned the stances, the monitoring leaders objectives stopped appearing, leaving me no reason to not burst in firstly with a stand off and then a bomb/kunai/arrow spree.

Yep, the more ghost-like you act, the stormer it becomes. The more honorable, the sunnier it becomes.

My major gripe about stealth was that early on when clearing camps you're incentivised to monitor camp leaders to learn skills without alerting them - which I really loved.

But because I levelled up relatively quickly and learned the stances, the monitoring leaders objectives stopped appearing, leaving me no reason to not burst in firstly with a stand off and then a bomb/kunai/arrow spree.

I was wondering what the "kill or observe leaders" thing was about. Only time I ever seen the leaders was when I was already in the midst of fighting them, and at that stage they were going to be dying regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I was wondering what the "kill or observe leaders" thing was about. Only time I ever seen the leaders was when I was already in the midst of fighting them, and at that stage they were going to be dying regardless.

Yeah, it helped build up whichever meter is required to learn stances and it was quite fun.

You had to explore the camp unseen to spot the leader training, get close enough and then watch. It added a layer of hard stealth as it was never obvious where he was, but once you had the four stances, it was gone.

And it was a nice and logical mechanic, observing leaders to learn more abilities. Very disappointing that it was no longer relevant and changed to nonsense like 'free the three canaries'. :pac:

I finished this at the weekend. I had held off to play it on PS5 and was really looking forward to it, but I found it really disappointing and was glad to be done with it. I stopped doing all side quests and exploring after Act 1 because they were so boring, I just stuck to the main quests to get the game over with as soon as possible. I'd say 50% of the map was still clouded by the time I finished and subsequently I had no interest to fill it in or see what I had missed.

Very weird how boring I found it, maybe it's open world fatigue. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Very weird how boring I found it, maybe it's open world fatigue. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

Whilst I loved GoT, open-world fatigue is a very real thing, at least for me. I avoid playing openworld games next to each other whenever possible. Like a lot of people I played GoT right after TLOU2, 2 VERY different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Markitron wrote: »
    Whilst I loved GoT, open-world fatigue is a very real thing, at least for me. I avoid playing openworld games next to each other whenever possible. Like a lot of people I played GoT right after TLOU2, 2 VERY different games.

Yes, I'm just finished GoT and have AC:Valhalla ready to go but am reluctant to start it. Think it'll be too exhausting going back to back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

dohboy wrote: »
    Yes, I'm just finished GoT and have AC:Valhalla ready to go but am reluctant to start it. Think it'll be too exhausting going back to back.

You probably couldn't pick 2 worse games either, GoT is more similar to AC than any other openworld game I can think of. Leave ACV for a good while I'd say.

Yeah unfortunately with some of GoT's open-world side stuff, a lot of it comes across as them coming up with the activity then trying to tie it in with progression. The fox dens are cute, but after two of them they become boring. The torii gate shrines are alright, at least they vary in some ways. The haikus, baths and small shrines with cosmetics are too plentiful with no real reward (the health increase from the baths is barely noticeable until you rack up a few of them).

The only side activity I really like are the bamboo strikes.

Having just a few of each would have made them all feel more special and worth seeking out. But as per usual it's just map-filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I am hoping for the platinum

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I am hoping for the platinum

Finish the game first and then go for it. Once you've finished the game, do all the enemy camps and that'll unfog the maps and make the rest easier to collect then.

The dogs are the biggest pieces of sh*t enemies in the game.

If I see dogs, I run away a bit, then arrow them to the face. The amount of times I was 1 kill away from the super move only to get bit by a stupid emo fringe dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The dogs are the biggest pieces of sh*t enemies in the game.

Dogs are the worst in every game. Dark Souls, Resident Evil, TLOU2.

Ghost stance is a bit disappointing. Would be much better if it was timer-based rather than number of enemies. Going to stick with my upgraded Sakai armour for the 2 extra standoff kills and health/damage boosts instead of the Ghost armour with quicker ghost meter buildup.

Finished Act 2 last night. When this game really shines, it's epic. Being forced into more and more stealth though which, while I generally like stealth games, surveying the enemies, planning route etc, I always chose fighting earlier in the game rather than stealth and now the stealth part just feels alien to me.

Going to finish Ishikawa and Masako's side missions, then just push through only the main story stuff. The side missions in general have been great, but could have been cut down to 5-6 missions each rather than 9. Yuna's felt like the perfect length, and really enjoyed her story. Masako's story too has been great (though again, could have been a few missions shorter). Only did a few of the Monk's story but not too fussed about the rest of it.

Advertisement