Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

path on top of grass

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Pumping groundwater should be the last resort. There must surely be a gravity-based solution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I guess the trench being full is an indication of why the garden is a swamp and should be greatly effected by the drainage solution - but the soak pit is a problem - could it be a case that I need to keep digging till I find a permeable layer ?

Or is it a case of - "you need a fookin pump pal"

There is a chance that the bottom of the nearest waste pipe is below the level drainage pipes would be at - but I aint optimistic !

Well it should be below ground level... So you won't have a wet topsoil. Drains is most sensible option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

So, I kept digging and got down to 1.2 meters

I now have a 1.2 meter deep pond in the garden !

Without any rain the hole filled to about 200mm below the ground level - Yep, drainage still isnt happening!

I got an automatic pump and hired a mini digger for the weekend.

I am assuming a half ton of pebbles will be sufficient ? I will have 3 * 6 meter channels and 2 * 10 meters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just dig it all out put a pool in and a diving board off the shed.

You only live once man.

listermint wrote: »
    Just dig it all out put a pool in and a diving board off the shed.

You only live once man.

Well its actually about 1 meter wide, 1 deep and 2 meters long - I certainly had thought of another use for it when showing my mother in law the other day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You're very posh with a hot tub in the garden. You could do like the Fliuc Fiadh long ago. Heat stones in the fire and throw them into it.
    Unless you have gravity somewhere, you'll have to install a dirty water pump.

right - job done

I hired a mini digger - completely dug the hole out to 2 meters deep, by 2*1 on top. bloody thing just keeps filling up with water

I then dug 3 drains across the garden 2 of which run into 1 which runs the length of the garden into the hole.

I put an old coal bunker into the hole to make a tank - to be honest the hole kept perfect sides because the "soil" is virtually turf !
    There was an old path I broke up and used the large pieces to line the sides of the tank too.
    I followed on then to put a 2.2 * 1.2 concrete slab on top with a man hole in it
    I ran a 3 inch pipe from inside the tank to the shore at the top of the garden and dropped an automatic pump into the sump - it seems to work well

I followed on by tidying up the garden and putting the path in.
    I will admit I didnt do the last bit myself I had someone come, level the garden and mkae the path as I just ran out of steam putting the drainage in.

I'll report back on how dry it is, but judging by the amount of water in the tank its certainly getting in there ok !

thanks for the help
    527466.jpg
    527467.jpg
    527468.jpg

Advertisement