Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Zaph wrote: »
    I agree that OK Computer is amazing. However I limited myself to one nomination per act, and for me The Bends was the real turning point for Radiohead. Pablo Honey was OK for what it was, but imo The Bends was a huge leap forward in terms of musical development, more so than the leap from The Bends to OK Computer. It also contains what are still some of my favourite songs of theirs.

They're absolutely fair comments. Completely agree with you tbh in sentiment.
    The leap forward is a great way to describe it.

OK Computer just means more to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

My biggest concern was that none of my nominations would make the Top 50, so now that two of them have made an appearance I can sit back and just enjoy the reveal more... :pac:

giphy.gif

It would be interesting to check in the end how many nominations each of us had in the top-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Everybody should just post up their personal top 10's at the end.

It was a one per band situation for me too, just felt like the right way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I love how Radiohead fans always agree with each other when disagreeing with each other :p
    There's not a wrong answer to what their best album is (well, I'd be surprised if anyone picked King of Limbs but I'd let them have it)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I had it in my choices, but the self-titled first album and Era Vulgaris for me are their best and I think QOTSA edged it.

SFTD is a stonker. Still gets played with seriouss regularity anyway. Great choice though. No way the other two are in the Top 50. :)

Era Vulgaris. YES.

Totally underrated album, how it's so overlooked is nuts.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

It was a one per band situation for me too, just felt like the right way to do it.
    Agreed, but I'll need Reb to send it back to me, I must have deleted the PM :p

For this one I broke the rule and had 2 albums from the same artist.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If I allowed myself a second nomination from any act, OK Computer was definitely getting on to my list. It is an absolute masterpiece and I expect it to be in the top 10 on this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Era Vulgaris. YES.

Lullabies to Paralyze should have gotten more love I always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I will be posting all the albums nominated at the end.

I wasn't planning on putting names to the albums because I thought it would be like a cheat code for our WALRUS games, but if people want to see the names with the albums, I can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My biggest concern was that none of my nominations would make the Top 50, so now that two of them have made an appearance I can sit back and just enjoy the reveal more...

You're ahead of me by one featured so far but I have very high hopes for the only one of two I can remember nominating :pac:

31st 29 pts

Bruce Springsteen
    Born In The USA (1984)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 11/1/1
    Singles: "Dancing in the Dark", "Cover Me", "Born in the U.S.A.", "I'm on Fire" "Glory Days", "I'm Goin' Down", "My Hometown"
    Nominated by speckle, JP Liz V1, Y0ssar1an22
    According to Robert Christgau's Record Guide: The '80s (1990), Born in the U.S.A. may have seemed more conservative than Springsteen's previous work but it showed him evolving on what was his "most rhythmically propulsive, vocally incisive, lyrically balanced, and commercially undeniable album".

AllMusic's William Ruhlmann interpreted the album as an apotheosis for Springsteen's reoccurring characters from his past albums and said that Born in the U.S.A. "marked the first time that Springsteen's characters really seemed to relish the fight and to have something to fight for".

Richard Williams was more critical in a retrospective review for Q magazine, writing that Springsteen had exaggerated his usual characters and themes in a deliberate attempt at commercial success. Williams added: "The decision by someone who grew up in the '60s to exploit the American flag on the cover and to bury the anti-war message of Born In The USA beneath an impenetrable layer of clenched-fist bombast ... was, in the era of Reagan and welfare cuts, downright irresponsible."

The title track has become one of the most misunderstood songs in popular music. According to Greg Kot and Parker Molloy, the chorus of the song gave the feel of a positive, patriotic anthem, but the lyrics depicted the difficulties and marginalization working-class Vietnam veterans had to face returning to their country. Written during the early 1980s recession in the United States, "the crestfallen verses mock the empty slogan in the chorus", Kot said. Because the lyrics were overlooked, the song was used by politicians during rallies, campaign events, and victory speeches.

In 2003, Rolling Stone ranked Born in the U.S.A. number 85 on their list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, and 86 in a 2012 revised list.

In 2013, it was named the 428th greatest album in a similar list published by NME. 

The album was also included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. It has sold over 30 million copies.

Interview with Bruce about the album.

Review.

How Bruce wrote the song Born In The USA.

Era Vulgaris. YES.

It's criminally under rated.

Suture Up Your Future is such a great tune. Could be on Rated R and be considered a great.

Misfit Love is just a wonderful romp. The intro is unreal. Filthy stuff.

I bought the album the day it came out. I was working in Clondalkin and drove to Liffey Valley and bought it in Virgin on my lunch hour. Listened to it on the way back and that was that. Just never really clicked with me and it stayed unlistened to for a long time after. Didn't really like Sick, Sick, Sick at the time for example.

Then oddly, a year later, I was in Blackrock Railway Station on my way back from lunch to the job in Dún Laoghaire and for some reason decided to stick it on and "BAM!" it hit me. And there was no looking back.

Amazing stuff.

30th 29 pts

U2
    Achtung Baby! (1991)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/2/1
    Singles: Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horse, "One", "Mysterious Ways", and "The Fly".
    Nominated by bigtimecharlie, FHFM50, corm500
    The Edge had been listening to electronic dance music and to industrial bands like Einstürzende Neubauten, Nine Inch Nails, the Young Gods, and KMFDM. He and Bono advocated new musical directions along these lines.

In contrast, Mullen was listening to classic rock acts such as Blind Faith, Cream, and Jimi Hendrix, and he was learning how to "play around the beat".Like bassist Adam Clayton, he was more comfortable with a sound similar to U2's previous work and was resistant to proposed innovations. Further, the Edge's interest in dance club mixes and drum machines made Mullen feel that his contributions as a drummer were being diminished.

Producer Lanois was expecting the "textural and emotional and cinematic U2" of The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree, and he did not understand the "throwaway, trashy kinds of things" on which Bono and the Edge were working.

Compounding the divisions between the two camps was a change in the band's longstanding songwriting relationship; Bono and the Edge were working more closely together, writing material in isolation from the rest of the group.

U2 found that they were neither prepared nor well-rehearsed, and that their ideas were not evolving into completed songs.The group were unable to reach consensus during their disagreements and felt that they were not making progress. Bono and producer Lanois, in particular, had an argument that almost came to blows during the writing of "Mysterious Ways".

During one tense session, Clayton removed his bass guitar and held it out to Bono, saying, "You tell me what to play and I'll play it. You want to play it yourself? Go ahead."

With a sense of going nowhere, the band considered breaking up. Brian Eno visited for a few days, and understanding their attempts to deconstruct the band, he assured them that their progress was better than they thought. By adding unusual effects and sounds, he showed that the Edge's pursuit for new sonic territory was not incompatible with Mullen's and Lanois' "desire to hold on to solid song structures".

Ultimately, a breakthrough was achieved with the writing of the song "One". While working on "Sick Puppy"—an early version of "Mysterious Ways"—The Edge played two separate chord progressions sequentially on guitar at Lanois' encouragement, and finding inspiration, the group quickly improvised a new song that became "One". It provided reassurance and validated their long-standing "blank page approach" to writing and recording together.

"At the instant we were recording it, I got a very strong sense of its power. We were all playing together in the big recording room, a huge, eerie ballroom full of ghosts of the war, and everything fell into place. It was a reassuring moment, when everyone finally went, 'oh great, this album has started.' It's the reason you're in a band—when the spirit descends upon you and you create something truly affecting. 'One' is an incredibly moving piece. It hits straight into the heart."

—The Edge, on the recording of "One"

Classic album revisited.

On the cover art of the album.

Lullabies to Paralyze should have gotten more love I always thought.

Also underrated but it's definitely grown more on the intervening years, Little Sister, EKTYI, I Never Came and In My Head are well regarded now for example moreso than most of EV.

I Never Came is a cracking song tbf.

I also picked limited myself to one artist per album and went with a Radiohead one that wasn't The Bends. Hopefully someone else agreed and it will make an appearance later!
    I love how Radiohead fans always agree with each other when disagreeing with each other :p
    There's not a wrong answer to what their best album is (well, I'd be surprised if anyone picked King of Limbs but I'd let them have it)

I love TKoL, think it's seriously underrated. "Lotus Flower" -> "Codex" -> "Give Up The Ghost" is one hell of a triple whammy! Only track I'm not too keen on is "Little By Little" but even that isn't a bad song.

P.S. FÚCK YEAH, FEVER RAY! *high fives Arghus*

Reberetta wrote: »
    30th 29 pts

U2
    Achtung Baby! (1991)

Singles: Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horse, "One", "Mysterious Ways", and "The Fly".

Classic album revisited.

Great piece of work and was a consideration, but The Unforgettable Fire got my vote.

I also picked limited myself to one artist per album and went with a Radiohead one that wasn't The Bends. Hopefully someone else agreed and it will make an appearance later!

I love TKoL, think it's seriously underrated. "Lotus Flower" -> "Codex" -> "Give Up The Ghost" is one hell of a triple whammy! Only track I'm not too keen on is "Little By Little" but even that isn't a bad song

I think I know your choice and it's my favourite, but I may have played to the crowd, I can't remember!

I like KoL but it feels incomplete to me. It needs the tracks I'm cutting from Hail, then they'd both be great! :p

Reberetta wrote: »
    30th 29 pts

U2
    Achtung Baby! (1991)

Classic album revisited.

Classic album, in my opinion the best that U2 ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Waay too much Springsteen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

He's making a come back after being beaten by David Bowie in the greatest artist thread:)

Given The River hasn't been yet, I'd say too little

29th 30 pts

Queen
    Night At The Opera (1975)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/1/4
    Singles: Bohemian Rhapsody, You're My Best Friend
    Nominated by andrewjrenko, quickbeam, Rikand
    The album has been affiliated with progressive rock, pop, heavy metal, hard rock and avant-pop.It contains a diverse range of influences including folk, skiffle, British camp and music hall, jazz and opera.Each member wrote at least one song: five of the songs were Mercury contributions, four were written by May, and Taylor and Deacon had one song each.The closing track was an instrumental cover of "God Save the Queen", the British national anthem, for which May was credited as the arranger.

For their first two albums, much of Queen's songwriting combined contemporary progressive rock and heavy metal, which led to a "Led Zeppelin meets Yes" description of the band.However, starting with Sheer Heart Attack, Queen began drawing inspiration from their everyday lives, and embraced more mainstream musical styles, a trend which A Night at the Opera would continue. Lyrical themes ranged from science fiction and fantasy to heartbreak and romance, often with a tongue in cheek sense of humour.The Winnipeg Free Press noted that the group blended "clever, often poignant lyrics with attractively-arranged melodies".

"I did discipline myself... Take vocals, because they're my forté – especially harmonies and those kind of things. On Queen II we've gone berserk. But on this album I consciously restricted myself. That's brought the songwriting side of it across, and I think those are some of the strongest songs we've ever written."

— Freddie Mercury

"It has a couple of the heaviest things we've ever done and probably some of the lightest things as well. It's probably closer to Sheer Heart Attack than the others in that it does dart around and create lots of different moods, but we worked on it in the same way we worked on Queen II. A lot of it is very intense and very ... layered."

— Brian May

Behind the album.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Classic album, in my opinion the best that U2 ever made!

Oddly enough, even though it's widely acclaimed, that was the point where I lost interest in U2. I just didn't like Achtung Baby at all, or an awful lot that came after it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Good stuff so far. One of mine has made it - Sign Of The Times. The Super Deluxe Edition shipped yesterday.
    Surprised to see Doolittle above Surfer Rosa. Bossanova is my favourite.

28th 31 pts

Oasis
    Definitely Maybe (1994)
    PLaylist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 3/1/58
    Singles: Cigarettes & Alcohol, Rock N Roll Star, "Supersonic", "Shakermaker", and "Live Forever"
    Nominated by Baronvon, Hech's Umpire, JP Liz V1
    Oasis booked Monnow Valley Studio near Rockfield in late 1993 to record the album.  The sessions were unsatisfactory and Bonehead recalled, "It wasn't happening. [Batchelor-producer] was the wrong person for the job... we'd play in this great big room, buzzing to be in this studio, playing like we always played. He'd say, 'Come in and have a listen.' And we'd be like, 'That doesn't sound like it sounded in that room. What's that?' It was thin. Weak. Too clean."

The sessions at Monnow Valley were costing £800 a day. As the sessions proved increasingly fruitless, the group began to panic. Bonehead said, "Noel was frantically on the phone to the management, going, 'This ain't working.' For it not to be happening was a bit frightening." Batchelor was fired, and Noel tried to make use of the music already recorded by taking the tapes to a number of London studios.

Tim Abbot of Creation Records said while visiting the band in Chiswick, "McGee, Noel, me, and various people had a great sesh [session], and we listened to it over and over again. And all I could think was, 'It ain't got the attack.' There was no immediacy."

In January 1994, the group returned from an ill-fated trip to Amsterdam and set about re-recording the album at Sawmills Studio in Cornwall. This time the sessions were produced by Noel alongside Mark Coyle. The group decided the only way to replicate their live sound in the studio was to record together without soundproofing between individual instrument, with Noel overdubbing numerous guitars afterwards.

Bonehead said, "That was Noel's favourite trick: get the drums, bass, and rhythm guitar down, and then he'd cane it. 'Less is more' didn't really work then."

The results were still deemed unsatisfactory, and there was little chance of another attempt at recording the album, so the recordings already made had to be used. In desperation, Creation's Marcus Russell contacted engineer and producer Owen Morris, who had previously mixed the album's songs.

Morris recalled after hearing the Sawmills recordings, "I just thought, 'They've messed up here.' I guessed at that stage Noel was completely ****ed off. Marcus was like, 'You can do what you like – literally, whatever you want.'"

Among Morris' first tasks was to strip away the layers of guitar overdubs Noel had added, although he noted that the overdubs allowed him to construct the musical dynamics of songs such as "Columbia" and "Rock 'n' Roll Star".

Morris worked on mastering the album at Johnny Marr's studio in Manchester. He recalled that Marr was "appalled by how 'in your face' the whole thing was" and would question Morris' mixing choices, such as leaving the background noise at the beginning of "Cigarettes & Alcohol".

Inspired by Phil Spector's use of tape delay on the drums of John Lennon's song "Instant Karma!" and Tony Visconti's use of the Eventide Harmonizer on the drums of David Bowie's album Low, Morris added eighth-note tape delays on the drums, which lent additional groove to McCarroll's basic beats. Tape delay was employed to double the drums of "Columbia", giving the song a faster rhythm, and tambourines were programmed on several songs to follow McCarroll's snare hits. Morris also used a technique he had learned from Bernard Sumner while recording the self-titled album by Sumner's group Electronic, routing the bass guitar through a Minimoog and using the filters to remove the high-end, which he used to hide imprecise playing, and heavily compressed the final mix to an extent he admitted was "more than would normally be considered 'professional'".

Morris completed his final mix of the record on the vintage Neve console during the bank holiday weekend in May in Studio 5 at Matrix Recording Studios in London's Fulham district. Music journalist John Harris noted, "The miracle was that music that had passed through so many hands sounded so dynamic: the guitar-heavy stew that Morris had inherited had been remoulded into something positively pile-driving.
    How Oasis made Defintely Maybe.

Oddly enough, even though it's widely acclaimed, that was the point where I lost interest in U2. I just didn't like Achtung Baby at all, or an awful lot that came after it tbh.
    Pop could have, and should have, been amazing but the production on it is horrific. I have read that it was really rushed but I forget why. The bones of the songs, particularly the first half, are great

Yes, I can understand that.
    It is interesting the quote that they were listening to industrial bands like Einsturzende Neubauten which I like a lot.
    Achtung Baby came at a time that I was exploring other, more experimental music avenues - I was already a fan, but this album (and Zooropa after that) are 2 of my favourite U2 albums.

• Advertisement

Good stuff so far. One of mine has made it - Sign Of The Times. The Super Deluxe Edition shipped yesterday.
    Surprised to see Doolittle above Surfer Rosa. Bossanova is my favourite.

I'm going to buy it myself - 9 disc edition, epic stuff!!

Advertisement