Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gogglebox Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

There was some woman who used to be on the UK version that came out and said most of the filming for the week is done in one day, lines are edited and producers feed witty comments to the "actors" if they can't come up with something themselves.

I stopped watching after that. More scripted rubbish pretending to be reality TV.
    It is disappointing as I used to enjoy the British version

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Irish people are so simple minded!

Self loathing is a horrible trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not a fan of that Lucan family. Lead in the shorts seems very loud and fill of himself. Early days though so let's see how he progresses.

He's not particularly loud.

Anyway, the recent episode was pretty fun, I got plenty of laughs out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's not particularly loud.

Anyway, the recent episode was pretty fun, I got plenty of laughs out of it.

He is. In my opinion.

He is. In my opinion.

He's just a standard lad of his generation and locality, there's nothing particularly unusual about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's just a standard lad of his generation and locality, there's nothing particularly unusual about him.

I guess none of them wear pants either so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fin12 wrote: »
    I guess none of them wear pants either so.

As far as I can see, every man under 30 is wearing shorts on Gogglebox. Not sure why the guy in Lucan is your target.

I haven't worn 'pants' since March (go home yank), apart from one visit to the office. I'm going to get until October out of it before I hide my great set of pins.

spurious wrote: »
    As far as I can see, every man under 30 is wearing shorts on Gogglebox. Not sure why the guy in Lucan is your target.

Cause his are not shorts, they are boxers. I just think he could make himself a bit more presentable, he is on tv after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »
    Cool, thanks be in town 2morrow so hopefully il get a bag.

Did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

There was some woman who used to be on the UK version that came out and said most of the filming for the week is done in one day, lines are edited and producers feed witty comments to the "actors" if they can't come up with something themselves.

I stopped watching after that. More scripted rubbish pretending to be reality TV.
    It is disappointing as I used to enjoy the British version

I was in one of the Irish family's houses [daughter went to school with their son] and they showed me the room where filming is done. They said they were given the list of what to watch and they would do it over 2 days, no scripts or prompts, they were left to it after the initial set up [guy would arrive and set up the camera, then leave them to it] Might be different for the UK one or that woman might have just been bitter after being dropped from the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I was in one of the Irish family's houses [daughter went to school with their son] and they showed me the room where filming is done. They said they were given the list of what to watch and they would do it over 2 days, no scripts or prompts, they were left to it after the initial set up [guy would arrive and set up the camera, then leave them to it] Might be different for the UK one or that woman might have just been bitter after being dropped from the show

Thanks for that, was often curious how it worked

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Did you get?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I wonder if they ever get stuff before it is actually broadcast? I think the first episode (broadcast Weds) had them commenting on stuff broadcast on Sun, which would be very quick turnaround for transferring and editing.

I wonder if they ever get stuff before it is actually broadcast? I think the first episode (broadcast Weds) had them commenting on stuff broadcast on Sun, which would be very quick turnaround for transferring and editing.

If you take away old movies shown any given week, Tv series that are pre-uploaded to NF or that Virgin have early access to, then they really only need them to watch the News or any live chat shows before the cut off. I do wonder if they have different editors for each family though? fair bit of work in all of that to get in on a tight schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I've seen bits of the UK one from time to time when my other half sticks it on. It feels very scripted and contrived to me. Not a fan of reality tv in general but I just wonder what the appeal is for people who watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Still love Gogglebox, I normally record it and watch it on Thirsty Thursday with Mr Jos. Delighted to see most of the usual faces back but not sure about the new Lucan family. They don't seem to contribute much. Mr Jos really misses the Greystone ladies (he obviously fancies the blond one :D). I miss Tadgh and his granny.
    Hard to pick a favourite if fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Missing from last year.

"Tadhg and his granny Ettie".
    "In the Cooley peninsula" (three 20something lads)
    "In Navan, its the Adenuga's".
    "In Castleknock, it's friends...." (2 elderly ladies with MDH teapot. Covid cocooning I guess).
    Can't remember where from but a 30something married couple, he has a muscular disease. Again probably cocooning.

Think that's all. Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Missing from last year.

"In Castleknock, it's friends...." (2 elderly ladies with MDH teapot. Covid cocooning I guess).
    Can't remember where from but a 30something married couple, he has a muscular disease. Again probably cocooning.

There was a couple from the North I think, the man had a beard. Although iirc they only appeared in like two/three episdoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

Missing from last year.

The last couple are from Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Glad the cabral girls are still there

Missing from last year.

The Adenugas had to quit because Yemi [the mother] became a FG councillor, afaik you are not allowed to have any political preference when on the show.

I hope Mary Berry comes to Cavan to eat with the twins :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

The twins are very quiet this year .. definitely gone down my list of favourites.

The couple fighting over toothbrushing seemed very staged

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The couple fighting over toothbrushing seemed very staged

It was set set up and didn't happen naturally. He really reminds me of some of the GAA players I know of that era.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Cumin, curry powder, tomatoe puree and mango chutney in a lamb 'stew'... dress it up whatever way you like Ms. Berry that's a curry! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I dont think the families on the programme are representative of Ireland's population anymore. Whereas the UK one is. Just my opinion.

Really finding this season of it a chore, not really liking any of the families, in fact finding almost all of them really irritating. None of the new families added anything, just more filler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

It was set set up and didn't happen naturally. He really reminds me of some of the GAA players I know of that era.

yes this couple have no humour and are very dated for some reason, the young people and their parents have great humour as do the twins and the cabras but the white guy in his underpants and his friends are very dull he is trying to save it but no humour whatsoever irish humour is very special and the irony is often lost on other nationalities.

Advertisement