Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you could go on the beer with one person from history who would it be?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

your girlfriend/wife

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Hitler was a ******t

Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Liam28

Great questions OP, one of the best on AH for a while. So, loads to go drinking with for loads of different reasons:
    JC seems like a popular choice, but a sesh with a 33 yr old virgin living with his Mom is not my idea of fun.
    The original JC, Julius Caesar, would be more interesting, as would Genghis Khan or Alexander the Great.
    Love to pick some of the big brains like Gallileo, da Vinci, Newton, Einstein but might not be the best craic ever.
    If I had one shot at a session, it would have to be the best sesh ever, so a bender with Georgie Best in his heyday would be some craic. Anything could happen. Same with Alex Higgins. Throw in Moss Keane, and the rounds would be lethal: champagne for Bestie, whiskey for Hurricane, 8 pints of stout for Moss, pint for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Rory Gallagher and Bob Marley and Lady Di and Elvis and Curt Cobain and Serge Gainsbourg and Marilyn Monroe and Mae West and others

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

EBZQk1O.jpg

Title reminded me of this :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Richie Benaud. (he was a cricketer/commentator)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missie1234

Jack The Ripper - to find out his/her identity...

Hunter S. Thompson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Definitely Hitler or one of them mad fellas

Did anyone else read that in a Fr Dougal voice ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

God ...

I'd like to have a word on a few things
    Obviously he'd be buying or just creating the drinks and snacks ..

Maybe just before Genesis and the whole - 'In the beginning' stuff ..

Or maybe I'm thinking of Jean Luc Picard :🀔:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sharing a hot water bottle of Powers doused with freshly squeezed lemon juice , brown sugar and cloves with Conor Houlihan. On a train to Thurles to do arm wrestles with failed Miss universe wannabees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I saw Peter Ustinov on the LLS years ago as a kid. He seemed very interesting and good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

William Shakespeare, Nikola Tesla, Graham Greene, Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles.

Pol pot

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Lenin. Would be interesting to discuss certain stuff with him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Au_Revoir

Nikola Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Oliver Reed.

Alka seltzer at the ready for the morning, as trying to keep up with old Ollie would result in the ultimate hangover from hell...

Loads of un-pc chat about everything.

Cheers to that & God rest his soul :)

Bottoms up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Michael Collins

+1

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Timothy leary, though it would be a cup of tea and not a beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hitler didn't smoke, hardly ever drank and didn't eat meat. Must have got his kicks in other ways.

He was an amphetamine addict which ultimately led to his demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭Aidan Harney

John Lennon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Difficult choice.

Leo DaVinci. He seemed to be good craic, liked thumbing his nose at convention and was well liked by his peers. Though you'd probably be stuck with the bill.

Helen of Troy, mainly to see what the fuss was all about.

Plato would be very interesting, but I reckon Aristotle would be more craic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wibbs wrote: »

If I had a choice between those two I'd pick Plato for craic. His dialogues have plenty of humour and he always left room for doubt and further questioning. 'I'd say the conversation would flow and meander all over the place with plenty of hopped balls and wind-ups. Stotle seems a dry balls from his writings (though those that we have now are just his 'notes', maybe the finished product had more colour and polish). While he was definitely interesting and the consummate polymath I reckon he would be arrogant and boorish and always insisting on the last word. Would be great to meet him to find out, though! Maybe he was a right larf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

seenitall wrote: »
    William Shakespeare, Nikola Tesla, Graham Greene, Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles.

Did you even read the thread title?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Oscar Wilde.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

Eamon Dunphy. Then head to lillies bordello for an after sesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stephen Hawking.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eamon Dunphy. Then head to lillies bordello for an after sesh.

Is Dunphy dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Did you even read the thread title?! :pac:

I couldn’t decide!!

Jayz, it’s only AH really, hopefully I don’t end up in court over violation of thread title spec...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Helen of Troy, mainly to see what the fuss was all about.

Helen , yeah I reckon there was a lot of PR there to justify other political and financial motives. IIRC there was a documentary on it a while back with Dirk Brad Pitt.

Reconstructions of Cleopatra don't match Hollywood or Cinecittà depictions. Darker skinned, her lips were thin and her chin was sharp and she was overweight. Worst of all her nose was too large :eek:
    But she was an operator.

Plato, they say, could stick it away
    Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Churchill - he could hold his drink and still deliver cutting on-liners.

"Mr. Churchill you're drunk!"
    Mr. Churchill: "And you, Lady Astor, are ugly. As for my condition, it will pass by the morning. You, however, will still be ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Manach wrote: »

Mr. Churchill: "And you, Lady Astor, are ugly. As for my condition, it will pass by the morning. You, however, will still be ugly.
    He was no oil painting himself.

Manach wrote: »
    Churchill - he could hold his drink and still deliver cutting on-liners.

Yeah but as time goes on you keep bumping into his mistakes. He was they guy who ordered a bombing of a German city after the Luftwaffe accidentally bombed an English one. Which led to the Blitz.

Yes the plan to sail battleships up to the Ottoman capital and take them out of the war was genius. The stopping the sale of British battleships to them in the first place wasn't. And then the whole Gallipoli campaign after the element of surprise was gone ?

You can see why Boris aspires to be remembered like him, and maybe he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Eleanor of Aquitaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Gavrilo Princip; would love to know what he thinks about everything that happened after he shot Franz. Sometimes I think that once incident is overblown but it clearly is one definable moment which shaped the century as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Caravaggio. Turbulent life - a genius who couldn't control himself, both murderer and victim. Everything about him was wild and a contradiction. I'd love to ask what the fcuk was going through his mind when he painted, and when he acted the bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yeah but as time goes on you keep bumping into his mistakes. He was they guy who ordered a bombing of a German city after the Luftwaffe accidentally bombed an English one. Which led to the Blitz.

Yes the plan to sail battleships up to the Ottoman capital and take them out of the war was genius. The stopping the sale of British battleships to them in the first place wasn't. And then the whole Gallipoli campaign after the element of surprise was gone ?

You can see why Boris aspires to be remembered like him, and maybe he will.

The Blitz may have saved the RAF. The bombing drew attention away from the control centres and airfields at a critical time during the battle of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

I hope all the people going for a pint with Jesus have decent Aramaic.

• Advertisement

HartsHat wrote: »
    I hope all the people going for a pint with Jesus have decent Aramaic.

Jesus can understand everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Paidi o Se, some legend was our paidi

Margret thatcher a firm favorite in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I saw Peter Ustinov on the LLS years ago as a kid. He seemed very interesting and good craic.

I also remember him from various chat shows during my childhood. A brilliant raconteur.
    I can’t imagine he’d be mad for the gargle though.

From the session point of view:
    Oliver Reed
    Richard Harris
    George Best

I wouldn’t be able to keep up but fun trying.

Would love to chat to Spike Mulligan - a strange mind!

saabsaab wrote: »
    The Blitz may have saved the RAF. The bombing drew attention away from the control centres and airfields at a critical time during the battle of Britain.
    Not really.

Documentary on it said only one RAF airfield wasn't operational the day after an attack. Spare aircraft were being churned out by the factories. And most of the airfields were just big grass fields with tents and a telephone line. It also helped that it was one of the warmest, driest summers.

Attacks on the radar stations might have made more difference.

Or not forcing the Me 109's to stay near the bombers. Or spent so much time forming up over France with the the English listening in on radio and taking notes. End result Me 109's had 10 minutes flight time and when there was an attack they were starting from a know position that was lower and slower than ideal. The RAF had similar problems with their Big Wing tactic.

Just before the war the Germans took a Zeppelin on a grand trip along the UK coast. The Brits just turned off all the newest radars because they guessed what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Probably a roman emperor but there's a lot to choose from, while marcus aurelius was probably the best emperor maybe a bit too deep and self desiplined for a proper piss up. While a night out with one of the mad, bad ones could go too far into debauchery.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rasputin. Legend has it he was some fella for the sess.

Also, dafuq was really going on when he was part of the Royal Court.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,338 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Orson Welles because from any interview or speech I’ve watched of his he seems an unbelievably interesting person to listen to. Now I get the impression that he was known to at times embellish his stories but at least they’d be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Sir Ranulph Fiennes, there was one hell raiser!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd probably have a few cans in a field with good ol' Spike Milligan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I'd probably have a few cans in a field with good ol' Spike Milligan.

Dont forget Sir Peter Sellers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement