Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could go on the beer with one person from history who would it be?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Sharing a hot water bottle of Powers doused with freshly squeezed lemon juice , brown sugar and cloves with Conor Houlihan. On a train to Thurles to do arm wrestles with failed Miss universe wannabees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I saw Peter Ustinov on the LLS years ago as a kid. He seemed very interesting and good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭seenitall

William Shakespeare, Nikola Tesla, Graham Greene, Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Pol pot

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Regis779

Lenin. Would be interesting to discuss certain stuff with him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Au_Revoir

Nikola Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Oliver Reed.

Alka seltzer at the ready for the morning, as trying to keep up with old Ollie would result in the ultimate hangover from hell...

Loads of un-pc chat about everything.

Cheers to that & God rest his soul :)

Bottoms up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Michael Collins

+1

• Subscribers Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Timothy leary, though it would be a cup of tea and not a beer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

saabsaab wrote: »
    Hitler didn't smoke, hardly ever drank and didn't eat meat. Must have got his kicks in other ways.

He was an amphetamine addict which ultimately led to his demise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Aidan Harney

John Lennon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Difficult choice.

Leo DaVinci. He seemed to be good craic, liked thumbing his nose at convention and was well liked by his peers. Though you'd probably be stuck with the bill.

Helen of Troy, mainly to see what the fuss was all about.

Plato would be very interesting, but I reckon Aristotle would be more craic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wibbs wrote: »

If I had a choice between those two I'd pick Plato for craic. His dialogues have plenty of humour and he always left room for doubt and further questioning. 'I'd say the conversation would flow and meander all over the place with plenty of hopped balls and wind-ups. Stotle seems a dry balls from his writings (though those that we have now are just his 'notes', maybe the finished product had more colour and polish). While he was definitely interesting and the consummate polymath I reckon he would be arrogant and boorish and always insisting on the last word. Would be great to meet him to find out, though! Maybe he was a right larf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

seenitall wrote: »
    William Shakespeare, Nikola Tesla, Graham Greene, Marilyn Monroe, Orson Welles.

Did you even read the thread title?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Oscar Wilde.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

Eamon Dunphy. Then head to lillies bordello for an after sesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Stephen Hawking.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eamon Dunphy. Then head to lillies bordello for an after sesh.

Is Dunphy dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭seenitall

Did you even read the thread title?! :pac:

I couldn’t decide!!

Jayz, it’s only AH really, hopefully I don’t end up in court over violation of thread title spec...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    Helen of Troy, mainly to see what the fuss was all about.

Helen , yeah I reckon there was a lot of PR there to justify other political and financial motives. IIRC there was a documentary on it a while back with Dirk Brad Pitt.

Reconstructions of Cleopatra don't match Hollywood or Cinecittà depictions. Darker skinned, her lips were thin and her chin was sharp and she was overweight. Worst of all her nose was too large :eek:
    But she was an operator.

Plato, they say, could stick it away
    Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Churchill - he could hold his drink and still deliver cutting on-liners.

"Mr. Churchill you're drunk!"
    Mr. Churchill: "And you, Lady Astor, are ugly. As for my condition, it will pass by the morning. You, however, will still be ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Manach wrote: »

Mr. Churchill: "And you, Lady Astor, are ugly. As for my condition, it will pass by the morning. You, however, will still be ugly.
    He was no oil painting himself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Manach wrote: »
    Churchill - he could hold his drink and still deliver cutting on-liners.

Yeah but as time goes on you keep bumping into his mistakes. He was they guy who ordered a bombing of a German city after the Luftwaffe accidentally bombed an English one. Which led to the Blitz.

Yes the plan to sail battleships up to the Ottoman capital and take them out of the war was genius. The stopping the sale of British battleships to them in the first place wasn't. And then the whole Gallipoli campaign after the element of surprise was gone ?

You can see why Boris aspires to be remembered like him, and maybe he will.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Eleanor of Aquitaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Gavrilo Princip; would love to know what he thinks about everything that happened after he shot Franz. Sometimes I think that once incident is overblown but it clearly is one definable moment which shaped the century as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Caravaggio. Turbulent life - a genius who couldn't control himself, both murderer and victim. Everything about him was wild and a contradiction. I'd love to ask what the fcuk was going through his mind when he painted, and when he acted the bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yeah but as time goes on you keep bumping into his mistakes. He was they guy who ordered a bombing of a German city after the Luftwaffe accidentally bombed an English one. Which led to the Blitz.

Yes the plan to sail battleships up to the Ottoman capital and take them out of the war was genius. The stopping the sale of British battleships to them in the first place wasn't. And then the whole Gallipoli campaign after the element of surprise was gone ?

You can see why Boris aspires to be remembered like him, and maybe he will.

The Blitz may have saved the RAF. The bombing drew attention away from the control centres and airfields at a critical time during the battle of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

I hope all the people going for a pint with Jesus have decent Aramaic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

HartsHat wrote: »
    I hope all the people going for a pint with Jesus have decent Aramaic.

Jesus can understand everything

Advertisement