Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

He's just reaping what he has sown for the last four years.

No, he/America are reaping what having someone like Obama in power sowed.
    He's "paying respects" yet endorsed a t-shirt that said "fill that seat" days after her death. Save the faux outrage Pete you're fooling nobody.

Eh, how exactly is there hypocrisy there :confused:

The seat should be filled asap. As he said when he learned of her death, you can still disagree with her but respect her. You seem to have some bizarre notion that that the only way of paying respects to her is to do what she (and other democrats) wanted/want him to do and that's ridiculous.

Besides, your comment is just deflection and doesn't address how these people are being highly disrespectful to act that way in front of her casket. There can be no justification for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No, he/America are reaping what having someone like Obama in power sowed.

Eh, how exactly is there hypocrisy there :confused:

The seat should be filled asap. As he said when he learned of her death, you can still disagree with her but respect her. You seem to have some bizarre notion that that the only way of paying respects to her is to do what she (and other democrats) wanted/want him to do and that's ridiculous.

Besides, your comment is just deflection and doesn't address how these people are being highly disrespectful to act that way in front of her casket. There can be no justification for it.

Who mentioned hypocrisy?

RGB was no fan of Trump, No condemnation from her family so if they are OK with Trump being booed by the crowd then I'm not sure why you guys are getting all upset about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Trumpers trying to take the moral high ground on the issue of respecting/disrespecting the dead :pac: :pac: :pac:

You have to laugh really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

They couldn't act like adults for a couple of minutes. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Trumpers trying to take the moral high ground on the issue of respecting/disrespecting the dead :pac: :pac: :pac:

You have to laugh really

The grave side, the funeral service etc should always be outside of political rows and jeering.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    The grave side, the funeral service etc should always be outside of political rows and jeering.

Unfortunately Trump didn't get that memo, as I said earlier, he's reaping what he sowed

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-47642335
    US President Donald Trump has attacked the late Senator John McCain, complaining that he "didn't get a thank you" for his state funeral.

"We sent him on the way, but I wasn't a fan of John McCain," the president said during a visit to an Ohio tank factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Unfortunately Trump didn't get that memo, as I said earlier, he's reaping what he sowed

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-47642335

We'll agree then that he and the people at Ginsburgs funeral have that much in common.

Who mentioned hypocrisy?

You implied it when you mentioned the t-shirts, as if him paying respects wasn't genuine.

If that's not the case, and you feel he was being genuine, then you should be condemning those disrespectful lefties yourself.
    RGB was no fan of Trump, No condemnation from her family so if they are OK with Trump being booed by the crowd then I'm not sure why you guys are getting all upset about it.

Because we (non-leftists) in Western Society still generally have respect for such occasions.

You implied it when you mentioned the t-shirts, as if him paying respects wasn't genuine.

He wasn't genuine though, we all know he went because he had to.
    If that's not the case, and you feel he was being genuine, then you should be condemning those disrespectful lefties yourself.

See above

Because we (non-leftists) in Western Society still generally have respect for such occasions.

Trump didnt seem to get the memo.
    US President Donald Trump has attacked the late Senator John McCain, complaining that he "didn't get a thank you" for his state funeral.

"We sent him on the way, but I wasn't a fan of John McCain," the president said during a visit to an Ohio tank factory.

Unless it's raining

• Advertisement

He wasn't genuine though, we all know he went because he had to.

Nonsense. We could tell from how he responded the moment he learned of her death how genuine he was about paying his respects to her. Quite clear that he has more class in that regard than the baying mob who couldn't care less that she was laying there in her casket. They were there to hurl abuse and hopefully try and hurt his chances of reelection.
    Trump didnt seem to get the memo.

That's a weak rebuttal. Point stands.

Nonsense. We could tell from how he responded the moment he learned of her death how genuine he was about paying his respects to her. Quite clear that he has more class in that regard than the baying mob who couldn't care less that she was laying there in her casket. They were there to hurl abuse and hopefully try and hurt his chances of reelection.

That's a weak rebuttal. Point stands.

Ah stop with the faux outrage pete, you have defended every scummy little thing Trump has done for four years, now he is getting a taste of his own medicine you have suddenly gotten very concerned.

As I said, reaping what he has sown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

She said knelling for the anthem was dumb and disrespectful. I would imagine she'd be of the same opinion on this behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

statesaver wrote: »
    They couldn't act like adults for a couple of minutes. Sad.

That's lefties for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

statesaver wrote: »
    She said knelling for the anthem was dumb and disrespectful. I would imagine she'd be of the same opinion on this behaviour.

She stepped back from those comments.
    In a statement Friday, Ginsburg appeared contrite about her remarks.

“Barely aware of the incident or its purpose, my comments were inappropriately dismissive and harsh,” she said. “I should have declined to respond.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

McCain was buried in a tank factory in Ohio was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

This is utterly disgraceful from the leftists:

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1309142629007974412

They can't have been raised too well to have this kind of attitude.

Those Lefties would be crying if he didn't make an attempt to pay his respects.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

That's lefties for you.

Mod: These soundbites without substance are a recurring theme in in how you post across the entire forum. Consider yourself banned from this thread. Further non substance posts like this will result in further thpeadbans.

Ah stop with the faux outrage pete, you have defended every scummy little thing Trump has done for four years..

I think someone hacked your account a few days ago, Timber :pac:
    To be fair, Me and Pete don't agree on much when it comes to politics but he has been pretty consistent in calling Trump out on some things when he feels the need to.

now he is getting a taste of his own medicine you have suddenly gotten very concerned.

I'm not in the least concerned for Trump - like I said, these people are showing that they don't even have the class to keep quiet as their President pays his respects to a Judge as they lay in their casket. My concern is for what has lead to this.
    As I said, reaping what he has sown.

And like I said, the only thing he is reaping is what others have sown and he's been reaping that since he dared run for office. Spied on his family members, planted knowingly false stories in the media, exaggerated and misrepresented his phone calls with other leaders, leading to investigations and impeachment, which was littered with members of congress withholding exploratory evidence, and now we're finding out phones were even destroyed during some of that seed sowing. Pretty soon you're going be seeing what true reaping of one has sowed really looks like and it won't be anything a Republican or Trump has done to result in such a monumental harvest.

https://twitter.com/senjudiciary/status/1309275125938872321

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

One lawyers opinion on Amy Coney Barrett - in a word pro government authoritarian.

There may be a surprise appointment out of leftfield - Stephanie Dawkins Davis.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

And so it begins, as just was the case with Justice Kavanaugh, the left are now doing whatever they can to damage the credibility of Amy Coney Barrett by questioning the circumstances surrounding the adoption of her two children from Haiti.

Good to see Meghan McCain speak out against it:

https://twitter.com/MeghanMcCain/status/1309706919385464834

And so it begins, as just was the case with Justice Kavanaugh, the left are now doing whatever they can to damage the credibility of Amy Coney Barrett by questioning the circumstances surrounding the adoption of her two children from Haiti.

Are they? Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There are no depths to which they will not sink - and i'm talking both sides.

The hyperbole and vitriol is utterly absurd.

If Trump wins, Americans will live in a right leaning democracy.

If Biden wins, Americans will live in a left leaning democracy.

In both cases the sun will continue to rise every morning, people will go to work and raise their kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Their fallen hero supported partial birth abortion, which even pro choice people find appalling.

Don't be looking for a high bar with the Dems.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

In both cases the sun will continue to rise every morning, people will go to work and raise their kids.

They really won't you know. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tony EH wrote: »
    They really won't you know. :pac:

Left of Trump anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Are they? Where?

I've just heard a British talk show host say of Barrett , 'she's one of those women who think woman can't think for themselves or make their own decisions'. Which is an extraordinarily dumb thing to say when she's being nominated for a job which requires her to make decisions only a very tiny select few ever get to make.

But it's even worse than that because in reality he's never heard of her before this week and he knows noting more about her than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What I find extraordinary is that the US has decided to stack it's supreme court with partisans that interpret the law based on personal biases rather than in a clear-headed way.

It's utterly ridiculous that before a judgement is given that the way the US SC votes can be predicted with near perfect accuracy most of the time.

Then again that's the way the US has decided to govern itself and we really have no place to judge. It's for them and them alone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What I find extraordinary is that the US has decided to stack it's supreme court with partisans that interpret the law based on personal biases rather than in a clear-headed way.

I don't know if that's necessarily true. There are multiple philosophies on legal interpretation, much as there are multiple philosophies on what constitutes good ethical analysis. Depending on which philosophy is chosen, you may be more likely to come out with results which align with the personal biases of one group of people vs another, but that result can be reached in an honest attempt to fairly read the law. Roberts and Gorsuch seem to be proving to be excellent cases in point. Their judicial philosophies are what one may call conservative, but the end results of their rulings seem to be "Whichever way the analysis leads", as opposed to "finding excuses to reach pre-determined analysis".

Frankly, I'd be inclined to say the same even for the more 'extreme' judges, Thomas and Sotomayor. They are just inclined to read the laws a certain way, and their rulings are more likely to come out accordingly. To take the ethics example, Thomas may be have more of a deontological ethical viewpoint, whilst Sotomayor more consequentialist, then their reading the laws from those perspectives could well result in different rulings, though both judges are ethical and fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I'd say yes and no, yes in practice things will function pretty much as you laid it out there from an economic POV. And being honest, I dont think it matters that much which one is elected in terms of policy. Really, what difference does it make - what are the policy differences between Trump and Obama that in themselves have fundamentally changed peoples lives? I dont know....

But the 'No' but is that the US has become more reactionary.

In practice, there were always huge cultural divides in the US, but I think the election of Obama and then of Trump have brought these out into the open.

This divide wassnt always obvious from the outside due to the Hollywood diet of 'what America looks like'. If anything, its concealed by Hollywood.

Two major culture shock moments for me:
    (i) taking the subway from Central (all white) Chicago to the Southside - I wanted to visit the house where Muhammed Ali lived, but got out at the wrong stop - wow, it was like going from a first world country to a third world country in the space of a 20 minute train journey. I couldnt fuppin believe it, nothing in Europe could compare. Pre 'The Wire' you really wouldnt have known this world existed the way that it does.

(ii) hitchhiking around rural Texas - a whole different world culturally, but particularly the poverty and lack of education.

Advertisement