Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange things your teacher did? (MOD NOTE in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

This thread is like a trip down a very grim memory lane. Can relate to many of the stories above.

I remember at our Debs one of our teachers (under the influence) saying he hated the profession and the only 2 reasons he became a teacher was his auntie was the principal and knew he'd get a job due to an upcoming retirement (in the era of nod-nod wink-wink re teaching jobs), and also for the holidays. He hated everything else about teaching, didn't like school kids, but he finished college with a degree that was no use for anything else.

I'd say there's a few teachers like this in every school, and that coupled with other life events and problems lead to some of the mental health problems mentioned above. Sort of the Edna Krabappel effect. Having said that, I do look back fondly on the really great teachers who put their heart and soul into it and set me on a good path in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I don’t think anyone is doubting your stories, G.

It’s only the heroic fantasy tales of lads “chinning” the teacher or getting into some dramatic fisticuffs that end with the teacher on his back with some dweeby nerd standing over him, showing him who’s boss, before he’s cheered out of the school gates and getting the support of the staff that no one really swallows.

shush! don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

We had a teacher in primary school in the early to mid 90s who would send fellas to the chipper for him at lunch time.

This thread is like a trip down a very grim memory lane. Can relate to many of the stories above.

I remember at our Debs one of our teachers (under the influence) saying he hated the profession and the only 2 reasons he became a teacher was his auntie was the principal and knew he'd get a job due to an upcoming retirement (in the era of nod-nod wink-wink re teaching jobs), and also for the holidays. He hated everything else about teaching, didn't like school kids, but he finished college with a degree that was no use for anything else.

I'd say there's a few teachers like this in every school, and that coupled with other life events and problems lead to some of the mental health problems mentioned above. Sort of the Edna Krabappel effect. Having said that, I do look back fondly on the really great teachers who put their heart and soul into it and set me on a good path in life.

Back when a job for life was strongly desired, plus 2 months off in Summer. For many people it sounded like easy money and a safe job. For me at least it would be a harrowing, hard job which I would start to despise quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

KevRossi wrote: »
    We had a teacher in secondary school, young enough lad, friendly, good looking.

Came into class one Monday morning and put John Waite's 'Missing You' on the stereo (a proper ghetto blaster). Kept playing it louder on repeat with his feet on the desk looking up at the ceiling. We were in fits of giggles until one of the lads noticed the teacher was crying. Teacher next door (who was dead sound) and who was a mate of his came in to see what the noise was and took him outside.

He (teacher next door) came back with about 5 minutes left in the class. Just told us to pack our books up quietly, and then said something that has honestly stayed with me the past 35 years;

"Lads, we've no idea what kind of pain and issues some people are going through, but if ye can, go and speak to a friend about it, it really is the best thing to talk about stuff and get it off ye're chest. Also lads, I don't mean to be condescending, but ye have no idea what adult life is like, it's a lot harder than ye can ever imagine.

But remember lads; 'It's good to talk'* "

*It's good to talk was an advertising slogan for British Telecom at the time.

This is the song the teacher was playing, he was obviously going through some sort of a break up with a woman at the time. And yes, every time I hear this song I think of those two teachers and that morning.

That's so sad. Respect to the next door teacher for being tender and human about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

One day when I was in second class, some kid in school needed to be taken to hospital. I don't know what happened to him, or why his parents weren't involved, but my teacher had to take him in. I was brought along, so that I could sit alone in the teacher's car and protect it while it sat parked outside Temple Street hospital. I'm not sure what the teacher thought an 8 year old could do if someone decided to break into the car. My parents were never consulted about this - I was just told to go with the teacher, and then told to sit in the car.

I guess I was there for about two hours before the teacher came back. I can't remember if the sick kid came back too, or was left in the hospital.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

now that is bizarre...i take it this was long ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

In primary school, one kid's job was to unclog the septic tank outside. The principal had wellies and overalls, probably handmedowns from his own children, that he gave the child to put on over his clothes.

This was in the early 2000s. Surprised nothing was ever made of it. Often when we were on break time in the yard the principal would make us all stand away from the manhole cover while the youngfella jabbed down it to unclog the pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I think you are mistaking 20-30 years ago with 50+ years ago.
    30 years ago hitting a kid in class was absolutely not allowed and wouldnt have been tolerated.

You can only answer the question based on your own personal experience, you can't generalise for every school in the country.

Most of my teachers were sound but a handful were utter lunatics. One fella used to bate the head off people with a violin bow. For nothing. He was a sadistic w@nker. I reckon he went through 3 or 4 bows a week.

PE teacher was another mad man. Used to beat the **** out of us, again for the most minor infraction. Pushed a lad into a load of stacked chairs one day because he didn't hear him. Said fella's Da came to the school the next day and boxed the head off him in front of everyone in the car park.

We had a Christian brother, who given half the chance, would have raped every single one of us. He was an utter dirtbird.

The above really happened, all less than 30 years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

One day when I was in second class, some kid in school needed to be taken to hospital. I don't know what happened to him, or why his parents weren't involved, but my teacher had to take him in. I was brought along, so that I could sit alone in the teacher's car and protect it while it sat parked outside Temple Street hospital. I'm not sure what the teacher thought an 8 year old could do if someone decided to break into the car. My parents were never consulted about this - I was just told to go with the teacher, and then told to sit in the car.

I guess I was there for about two hours before the teacher came back. I can't remember if the sick kid came back too, or was left in the hospital.

As a teacher working in a very small school, I had to bring an infant to get their head stitched . It was pre-mobile phone times ( the school phone was the old black button a type)
    I put the child lying on coats in the back seat of my car and drove to the gp in the nearest town . I ended up with the child sitting on my lap when they were being stitched.
    Now, that story could be spun to be “ weird” in a more sinister sense , but the child’s mother actually got me a gift ( this was the early 90s, most unusual ) and wrote me a beautiful letter, which I still have .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

That fella had to have had a nickname after that lol

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Your job wasn't to mind the car, the job was to mind the teacher.

You were brought cause a teacher alone in a car with a student is open to potential accusations so a second student is brought to prevent that and I bet the sick kid did come back with you for that very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I went to a very religious all girls schools that had a convent full of teaching nuns attached to the school. The nuns were scary, there was nothing nice about them at all. One of these nuns was a senior member of staff, I only ever had her as a stand in teacher when the main class teacher wasnt in. I didnt know this nuns name but always remembered her face.
    Years later when I was 24 I moved back home after finishing 4 years in college in another part of the country. My home town hadnt come out of the recession yet (it still hasnt fully recovered) so jobs, especially for young graduates with little work experience, were hard to come by.
    In my desperation I applied to Jobsbridge internships & CE Schemes. One of these positions I applied to was advertised as a youth group facilitator in the local youth club which vaguely related to my degree.
    When I went for the interview the interviewer just so happened to be this teaching nun from my old school who worked with the youth club, surprisingly she remembered me from school and so far the interview was going really well as I was telling her what id been up to since leaving school.
    While in the interview and asking about the position she turned and said ' We dont need anyone for that position anymore', 'We're looking for someone to do money collections & cleaning' she also said id be required to volunteer my time outside of the CE scheme hours.
    I have quite a sever anxiety disorder which back then was unmedicated and had I zero confidence, there was no chance I could stand in the street for 6 hours a day collecting money.
    When offered the position 2 weeks later I thanked her but declined and made up some excuse that I was starting a course instead.

The following week I went to collect my social welfare only to be told there was no money there. I went to social welfare to find out what happened, they told me they were contacted by the interviewer of the ce scheme I applied for who told them she offered me the position but I turned it down so they closed my claim. I had just been offered a different ce scheme that week that id accepted but because my claim was now closed, I wasnt allowed proceed with it.

Because of that b!tch I ended up losing my social welfare and having no money for 3 months,

Loving this thread and the contributions to date. My teachers were quite a boring lot compared to what I’m reading here.
    Only clear cut example I remember was a bit sad to be honest- one teacher had a nervous breakdown in the middle of English class a few years below me and called one of the students the spawn of the devil - he went out on sick leave and eventually took early retirement poor man. I remember him when he was well and he was a great teacher but something obviously happened him in the intervening years.
    Another teacher, who was a bit of a drip, and a weakling to boot, and had absolutely no control over his class- one day he was getting madder and madder at the class for general disruptive behaviour- he picked up one of those shatter proof rulers and in frustration tried to break it- try as he could it wouldn’t break- he got madder and madder, face redder and redder trying to break the ruler, and we just burst ourselves laughing - god we were cruel looking back now, but he never should have went into teaching.

Our chemistry teacher loved smoking a pipe so often crawled into the fume cupboard where certain toxic experiments were performed and lit up while we got on with our own experiments- mad guy but a great teacher.

Keyzer wrote: »

Most of my teachers were sound but a handful were utter lunatics. One fella used to bate the head off people with a violin bow. For nothing. He was a sadistic w@nker. I reckon he went through 3 or 4 bows a week.

is this him?

s7ghIQ5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

Had a mad french teacher that used to teach us how to ski during class. Seriously he used to be up on his desk showing us his moves.
    He arranged the school ski trip and brought about 10 of his family. Mad yoke.
    In fairness we used to bring it up to avoid learning french.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

In primary school my teacher was a cnut. Used to hit me over the head with the maths book often enough, fairly hard too. I was probably about 7 or 8. She did it to a lot of kids.

My mam found out, brought me to the school and confronted her. Ended up headbutting the teacher in front of me.

Never saw the teacher again after that. This is about 30 years ago. I imagine it would be quite different today.

The following week I went to collect my social welfare only to be told there was no money there. I went to social welfare to find out what happened, they told me they were contacted by the interviewer of the ce scheme I applied for who told them she offered me the position but I turned it down so they closed my claim. I had just been offered a different ce scheme that week that id accepted but because my claim was now closed, I wasnt allowed proceed with it.

Because of that b!tch I ended up losing my social welfare and having no money for 3 months,

what an absolute cow! to do that

sounds like one of them busybody's prying into people's business, i've encountered the type many a time over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

One rested his mickey on my shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

30 years ago hitting a kid in class was absolutely not allowed and wouldnt have been tolerated.

Completely untrue, I started primary in the early 90's, and was victim of and witness to plenty of teachers hitting kids with books, giving them slaps, one would use a ruler on knuckles.

One lovely "lady" used to delight in ramming her diamond ring into children's backs/arms and twisting it. She was the only one I ever heard anything done about. That was in the late 90's, not in my school, a neighbouring one, but my cousin was one of the kids she did it to.
    My uncle went mental when he found out, then loads of other parents piped up after the fact. Not sure but I think she retired, rather than be fired.

• Advertisement

One rested his mickey on my shoulder.

this ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lucalux wrote: »

One lovely "lady" used to delight in ramming her diamond ring into children's backs/arms and twisting it. She was the only one I ever heard anything done about. That was in the late 90's, not in my school, a neighbouring one, but my cousin was one of the kids she did it to.
    My uncle went mental when he found out, then loads of other parents piped up after the fact. Not sure but I think she retired, rather than be fired.

Last similar thread to this, someone mentioned this happening. There was a teacher that did this in my school too, so there was a brief location check - nowhere near.

I suspect this was fairly common with teachers of a certain age.

You were brought cause a teacher alone in a car with a student is open to potential accusations so a second student is brought to prevent that and I bet the sick kid did come back with you for that very reason.

If a kid needed to be dropped home due to being sick, it was *two* kids brought, lest there be only one on the way home; at least by my era.

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

now that is bizarre...i take it this was long ago?

Yeah, that was in 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Had a teacher in senior infants in the mid 70's who used to make whoever was sitting at the front of class unzip her boots while she sat on a desk at the top of the class and smoked a cigar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,295 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Once we had a teacher in for a week and he told us stories about being at house parties with Gardaí and having loads of Cocaine at them.

This was 1982. No one cared about kids alone with teachers, accusations against teachers, or such trivialities as witnesses.

This is the same teacher who I posted about earlier having the “competitions” of who could sit on the boiling radiator the longest - until the kids were screaming in pain. This was in front of 38 other kids, all being encouraged to cheer the “competitors” on.

I remember an older kid (a real troublemaker) got sent down to him because his teacher couldn’t handle him one day. The Principal marched him in, went off and closed the door. In front of us all, this particular teacher said something like “oh, I’m going to have fun with you!”and just punched the kid full force in the chest, sending him flying across the room. Then started laying kicks into him as he lay on the ground. Then he left him there crying, clutching his gut, while he continued teaching us spelling or whatever. We were 2nd class, so 7/8. The other kid was 9 or 10.

He knew he was completely untouchable. It was his car he was worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They definitely did hit kids and got away with. I remember a teacher I had in 3rd class who would get mad and make two fists and squelch them into his face as it turned red and once you saw that you knew a beating was coming. Would throw a few slaps in front of the class but would take you outside to the cloak room to give you proper beating with his fists. Then latter in the day he would apologise and give you 50p not to tell your parents. This was a daily occurrence but the one beating I always remember was on budget day when a grant for a housing extension was cancelled. I got the beating of my life that day all because of the budget.This was a fully grown man punching the crap out of a 8 year old in 1985/86.

I remember one day I built up enough courage to deal with it that I went down to the headmasters office to report him and remember being told to get out of the office unless I wanted another few slaps and not to say anything to parents. The best day of the whole year was when a Dad of another son he hit (who was a secondary school teacher in a near by school) burst into class and floored the teacher with one punch in-front of all of us and warned him that if he ever hit another child he would be back. It was great to watch till about 10 mins latter he made those fists and squelched them into his face and then dragged me out of the room for another beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

o1s1n wrote: »
      Our sixth class teacher refused to use the blackboards.

She instead had reams and reams of paper that she'd stick to the blackboard and write on with really squeaky black markers. Such an absolute waste of paper. There'd be piles of it on the floor for the bin by the end of the day.

I'd an Irish teacher in secondary school who, at the start of each class, would walk around and hand everyone a tiny slip of paper about two inches high and five inches long -

I don't know how, but that tiny bit of paper would contain a colossal amount of work we'd have to go through while he sat at the top of the class doing **** all.

Sounds like the first teacher was allergic to chalk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not about a teacher but the headmaster of a school I was in. He was an utter ****, a priest, and shorter than most of the students. The school had a huge bullying problem which he blamed on the kids being bullied for not fitting in, he wasn't the most empathetic person. Anyway, he had words with one of the more sensitive boys and whatever it was that went on the kid killed himself instead of going home that day. The shameless ****er gave a speech that emphasised his total lack of responsibility for anything that had happened.

• Advertisement

Now, that story could be spun to be “ weird” in a more sinister sense , but the child’s mother actually got me a gift ( this was the early 90s, most unusual ) and wrote me a beautiful letter, which I still have .

Fair play to you, and I'm not knocking teachers - I've upmost respect for them. And if that was my kid, I'd be thanking you too.

But in all fairness, what happened with me is a completely different kettle of fish. Leaving someone else's a 7 year old alone in a car for two hours in Dublin's Northside inner city during the 80's heroin epidemic - just to protect the car - was a reckless thing to do. There really isn't any good way to look on it.

Advertisement