Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you celebrate without drinking?

Options
  • 23-07-2019 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

I like a drink myself, puts me in a good humour and I will even join in a song when I am merry. But watching the Shane Lowry celebrations, is it possible to celebrate without drinking? You could have a meal or a sing song but it is hard to imagine grown men celebrating for longer than 2 hours without drink being involved. And the idea of carrying on the celebrations with the same people the next day without drink is also hard to imagine. I think as a nation we are afraid to express ourselves without drink loosening us up but we are setting a poor example to kids. I think Padraig Harrington drinks very little and would not have drank mutch after winning his titles but he was an exception to the rule.
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes you can.

It has been documented in the annals of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I can, but I may be unusual in finding being the one sober lad among a crowd of drunken folks hilariously good fun.

Having said that, I do tend to drink a lot, but if for whatever reason I can't on a particular night I end up having a totally different but still great kind of fun being surrounded by drunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

No, no I can’t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

I can anyway,and most my nights out etc involve me not drinking

But most my mates would be heavy drinkers though and would admit they couldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'd imagine you could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

You could but its more fun after a few ice cold pints,especially on a day like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I could if I really had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i wouldn't want too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

blackcard wrote: »
    I like a drink myself, puts me in a good humour and I will even join in a song when I am merry. But watching the Shane Lowry celebrations, is it possible to celebrate without drinking? You could have a meal or a sing song but it is hard to imagine grown men celebrating for longer than 2 hours without drink being involved. And the idea of carrying on the celebrations with the same people the next day without drink is also hard to imagine. I think as a nation we are afraid to express ourselves without drink loosening us up but we are setting a poor example to kids. I think Padraig Harrington drinks very little and would not have drank mutch after winning his titles but he was an exception to the rule.
    Thoughts?

Will someone please think of the children?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

For me, the level of drink consumed (if any) depends on what is being celebrated.

Celebrating a sporting event (especially after attending said event, or at least watching it in the pub), yeah I would probably drink at that. But it would have to be a final or some other momentous result.

When you're out celebrating an event like that people get generous, rounds get bought, and we run away with ourselves. I don't think we all end up going out expecting to get utterly sh*tfaced!!

I could if everyone else was drunk. However I wouldn't want to put myself in an extended social situation without some red wine or cold beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on what you call celebrating. To some people it's meeting up for a nice meal and to others it's being pissed dancing around with the legs of your pants rolled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Of course…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Growing up protestant, we celebrated everything with tea and Victoria sponge, so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It has been documented in the annals of history.

Lies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sure you can, in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

blackcard wrote: »
    I like a drink myself, puts me in a good humour and I will even join in a song when I am merry. But watching the Shane Lowry celebrations, is it possible to celebrate without drinking? You could have a meal or a sing song but it is hard to imagine grown men celebrating for longer than 2 hours without drink being involved. And the idea of carrying on the celebrations with the same people the next day without drink is also hard to imagine. I think as a nation we are afraid to express ourselves without drink loosening us up but we are setting a poor example to kids. I think Padraig Harrington drinks very little and would not have drank mutch after winning his titles but he was an exception to the rule. ?

He celebrates by eating butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

.... to others it's being pissed dancing around with the legs of your pants rolled up.

Whilst whooping and shouting ‘gerrup ya boya’ ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Harrington could do with a good drink

I've said this before, but we're probably all in the same boat and it might be something worth trying.

I have alcoholic relatives, and every year I do a month or so of no drinking, just to make sure I'm still not an alcoholic. You'd think "you'd know if you're an alcoholic", but no. Speak to an alcoholic, denial is a real thing, as fascinating as it is powerful.

I NEVER do Dry January, because so many people do it, it's almost too easy a challenge. If you have alcoholism in your family (so many of us do), and you're a regular drinker, then maybe give yourself a month off during the year.

I've chosen my month this year as September, when there will be no holidays or weddings. It can be a useful litmus-test if you're ever at all worried about your genes and any tendencies within them, but don't quite want to give up (culturally) normal levels of drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes and it is far more vivid and meaningful sober. Thankfully I cannot drink alcohol as with my illness it is dangerous. Far happier than the years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It depends on what you call celebrating. To some people it's meeting up for a nice meal and to others it's being pissed dancing around with the legs of your pants rolled up.

You were at that wedding too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I once meet someone who told me that you could. But I didn't believe him. I think he was drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i can but its like going to a steakhouse and ordering the Caesar salad. Why would you have something less good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

i can but its like going to a steakhouse and ordering the Caesar salad. Why would you have something less good?

Exactly. It's possible to celebrate without drink but its ALWAYS better with drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

Greyfox wrote: »
    Exactly. It's possible to celebrate without drink but its ALWAYS better with drink

That's categorically not true.

If you're with people whose company you truly enjoy, you can have side-splitting laughter and banter at a very similar level.

On the flip side, when drink is involved it's far more likely that there will be a row or a bit of drama, someone will end up crying or losing their phone or getting sick.

Someone sarcastically mentioned Muslim countries above, but it was a real wake up call for me at 22 when I moved to the Middle East and saw young people going into nightclubs and dancing and having the craic sober, going to weddings and enjoying the celebrations, seeing extended families spend Friday evenings together at the park.

Think back to going to discos in your teens before you drank - the excitement of it. You didn't need drink to enjoy the night then and you likely don't now either - you've just spent so long doing it that way you can't remember what it was like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    That's categorically not true.

If you're with people whose company you truly enjoy, you can have side-splitting laughter and banter at a very similar level.

On the flip side, when drink is involved it's far more likely that there will be a row or a bit of drama, someone will end up crying or losing their phone or getting sick.

Someone sarcastically mentioned Muslim countries above, but it was a real wake up call for me at 22 when I moved to the Middle East and saw young people going into nightclubs and dancing and having the craic sober, going to weddings and enjoying the celebrations, seeing extended families spend Friday evenings together at the park.

Think back to going to discos in your teens before you drank - the excitement of it. You didn't need drink to enjoy the night then and you likely don't now either - you've just spent so long doing it that way you can't remember what it was like before.

perhaps you need to be drinking with a better class of people if that is your experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kikilarue2

perhaps you need to be drinking with a better class of people if that is your experience.

I haven't touched a drop in five years, because alcohol doesn't suit me at all.

Are you saying that generally you think people are equally or less likely to cause drama sober than when they are drunk?

I've found people are more likely to get into a silly row over something small, drink too much and end up unwell (this rarely happens with tea or 7up), sleep with someone they might not otherwise...

Advertisement