Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

judeboy101 wrote: »
    "arm injury"

What are you suggesting? She was too scared to take on Sharapova? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I'm watching highlights of the Nadal game, and shocked at the amount of empty seats. Nadal is an all-time great, yet cannot fill a grand slam venue. Is it price of tickets, or is tennis no longer popular?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'm watching highlights of the Nadal game, and shocked at the amount of empty seats. Nadal is an all-time great, yet cannot fill a grand slam venue. Is it price of tickets, or is tennis no longer popular?

I think attendance has been patchy all week, it'll pick up this week. On the other hand, who wants to watch a three set procession?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I think attendance has been patchy all week, it'll pick up this week. On the other hand, who wants to watch a three set procession?

Exactly my point (in reverse) - when can anybody see a legend in true grand-slam competition? Its just that I find it extraordinary that tickets were wasted for such a tennis icon. (Its not my game, by the way, I just thought it strange - if I were in Paris, I'd have jumped all over a ticket to that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

What are you suggesting? She was too scared to take on Sharapova? :pac:

I'd say she was certainly unwilling to take on Sharapova with the slightest hint of discomfort. Too much riding on that, more than just a game. I wonder will she retire? Been there, done that, nothing left to prove and the only way is down.

Just caught the third set and thought that Marterer was unlucky not to take the set. Played some great shots, battled and had Nadal scowling. Who knows what would have transpired if he'd taken that set, Marterer was settling into that match and had the beating of Nadal IMHO. Just played a few too many loose shots but it was no procession. I'd guess that Nadal was glad to get out of that one.

• Advertisement

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I'd say she was certainly unwilling to take on Sharapova with the slightest hint of discomfort. Too much riding on that, more than just a game. I wonder will she retire? Been there, done that, nothing left to prove and the only way is down.

Just caught the third set and thought that Marterer was unlucky not to take the set. Played some great shots, battled and had Nadal scowling. Who knows what would have transpired if he'd taken that set, Marterer was settling into that match and had the beating of Nadal IMHO. Just played a few too many loose shots but it was no procession. I'd guess that Nadal was glad to get out of that one.

Don't think she has any plans on retiring, certainly not when she still has Margaret Court's 'record' to beat. She recently spoke of wanting to get back to her best. I mean, if she can get back to where she was pre-pregnancy there's no reason why she can't win a few more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Don't think she has any plans on retiring, certainly not when she still has Margaret Court's 'record' to beat. She recently spoke of wanting to get back to her best. I mean, if she can get back to where she was pre-pregnancy there's no reason why she can't win a few more.

why the ' ' around record?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I think because many of her wins were from before the Open Era, so her record is not taken all that seriously.

I went to RG 2 years ago. It is really hard to get tickets. They sell out within a few hours, and there are no tickets available to buy at the grounds. The empty seats is simply down to the fact that the French are a bit funny when it comes to these things. Many will only use their ticket for part of the day, and happily wander around the grounds too and leave their seat for awhile.

The biggest problem is the corporate jokers. All the corporate seats are at the front in RG and they are almost always empty, which looks dreadful on TV. Quite often the top tiers are full or close to full, yet the bottom tier/corporate section is empty. It's embarrassing stuff really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Chivito550 wrote: »

I think because many of her wins were from before the Open Era, so her record is not taken all that seriously.
    One could argue that modern athletes with their access to ped's, creatine and the professional nature of the game should all mean No modern record should be accepted? The reality is that the record stands, just like jack nicklaus in golf. Courts off court antics might leave a nasty taste in the mouth of some but an objective look at her record shows that she was unbelievably prolific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I've never even heard of the guy Djokovic is playing in the quarters. He's had a laughable draw for the 20th seed.

Nadal hasn't actually been his brilliant best, but hasn't had to be. I'm sure he'll step it up for the latter stages

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jr86 wrote: »
    I've never even heard of the guy Djokovic is playing in the quarters. He's had a laughable draw for the 20th seed.

Not Djoko's fault that the good players he should have faced shat their togs in the earlier rounds

Who does everyone think has the better chance of beating Nadal in the SF: Delpo or Cilic?

And who do you all think has the best chance of an upset in the final? Novak, Thiem or Zuerev?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Who does everyone think has the better chance of beating Nadal in the SF: Delpo or Cilic?

And who do you all think has the best chance of an upset in the final? Novak, Thiem or Zuerev?
    I think Delpo in the semis is the only one with a chance of beating him. If Delpo is on form, he can just blast Nadal off the court. That is the only way Nadal has ever been beaten in Roland Garros. None of the others can do that, and I don’t think they can live with him on that court over 5 sets...

Madison Keys has now reached the semi's or better at three of the four slams. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Madison Keys has now reached the semi's or better at three of the four slams. Impressive.

Its odd Wimbledon is her worst slam it seems now:pac:

I would not have predicted that, but credit where its due she handled business while the likes of Svitolina bottled it as usual.:)

Johnmb wrote: »
    I think Delpo in the semis is the only one with a chance of beating him. If Delpo is on form, he can just blast Nadal off the court. That is the only way Nadal has ever been beaten in Roland Garros. None of the others can do that, and I don’t think they can live with him on that court over 5 sets...

Djokovic hardly blasted him off the court in 2015 in fairness

I think Thiem is the only hope of beating him here. He's done it on clay twice now and generally gives him a good game, except the semis here last year where Nadal was just crushing everyone anyway

Don't think he'd be too nervous in a final either as he'd be clear underdog and can come out swinging.

Djokovic loses the first set. Deary, deary me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I think Thiem is the only hope of beating him here. He's done it on clay twice now and generally gives him a good game, except the semis here last year where Nadal was just crushing everyone anyway

Don't think he'd be too nervous in a final either as he'd be clear underdog and can come out swinging.

In 2015, Nadal was a pale imitation of his self. Djokovic didn't need to "blast" him off the court that year, if I remember rightly he lost twice to Murray and others on clay in the lead up to that FO. Generally speaking, when he's on form, he needs to be blasted off court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Chance to erase the stain of her US Open final defeat. But Sloane looked impressive too in beating Kasatkina who I thought played better than the scoreline suggests. Fancy Stephens to win that one.

• Advertisement

Chance to erase the stain of her US Open final defeat. But Sloane looked impressive too in beating Kasatkina who I thought played better than the scoreline suggests. Fancy Stephens to win that one.

Yeah, I can't see Keys being able to hit through Stephens on clay. I think it'll follow the exact same format of the US Open final, Sloane will retrieve and wait for the wild Keys error.

So now I'm thinking it'll be a Muguruza-Stephens final, but tbh I'd be happy with any of the four ladies from the top half taking the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

He didn't do it with raw power the way Soderling did, but he did hit lots of big backhands that whole summer when they faced each other. Unusually, he didn't grind out the result, he simply hit too many winners/unreturnables for Nadal to cope with. I don't think he can do that in his present form, and even if he could play as well, in Nadal present form it'll take a Soderling type of match to beat him. Delpo is the only player left capable of doing that over 5 sets.

I doubt very much he has it in him over 5 sets. I'd love to be wrong, but can't see it.

Some match djoko and checcinato

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

What a tiebreak from both players!!! Only got to see the last 2 sets but looked to be a great match! Really impressed with Cecchinato and how well he dealt with the pressure. He'll play Thiem in the SFs. Also picks up €560,000 prize money...nice one!

I think djoko mentally let that 4th set go in the 6th game when he had so many chances to break and couldn't put any of them away. You could see he was still reeling from it for several games afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

People will say Djoker was a shadow of himself, but I thought he played more than well enough to win the match. Cecchinato was simply on fire, the bloke had never played in a Slam main draw before now!

People will say Djoker was a shadow of himself, but I thought he played more than well enough to win the match. Cecchinato was simply on fire, the bloke had never played in a Slam main draw before now!

He had, he'd just never won a match.

Not sure I'd heard of him before this week, he was charged with match fixing back in 2016 but I think he was recently cleared? It completely passed me by that he won his first title in Budapest a few weeks back, and as a lucky loser! He'll be ranked top 30 minimum after RG.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

He had, he'd just never won a match.

Not sure I'd heard of him before this week, he was charged with match fixing back in 2016 but I think he was recently cleared? It completely passed me by that he won his first title in Budapest a few weeks back, and as a lucky loser! He'll be ranked top 30 minimum after RG.
    Hmmm I saw somewhere he'd never played in a Slam but that could be fake news. About the match-fixing, it was surprising that the crowd seemed to be pro-Djokovic whereas normally you'd expect them to be for the underdog. Maybe they'd read some negative stories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Well we've all heard of him now! Marco Cecchinato :)

Advertisement