Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Open 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Svitolina still useless at the slams then

Cant get used to the longer format of the games

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

jr86 wrote: »
    Could be a turning point for Zverev in slams. Grinded out 2 wins now in tough 5 setters.

I don't see him going too much further here but it could certainly add the steel he needs going forward to win ugly which is crucial for winning slams

Can't see him being fit to wag here by the time he meets Thiem.
    Djokovic building nicely here, to my slight surprise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Kvitova knocked out again. For a player with so much ability and so many titles, her Slam record is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I said it in the other thread, she won't go far for numerous reasons. Kontaveit in great form was always a danger today.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

And pliskova out. Just need Serena to beat Görges for a Sharapova/Serena 4th round match.

• Advertisement

LOL at all those who said Rafa would not be tested before the final.:pac:

Gasquet really putting him under pressure right now, definitely could go either way.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Well, he's got a few games under the belt now and at least appears to be loosening up!

Hunchback wrote: »
    Well, he's got a few games under the belt now and at least appears to be loosening up!

My muck post seems to have jinxed him for the better.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Williams-Goerges just starting.

Pleasantly surprised with how Djokovic has played. Wasn't expecting that...he seems to be finding his form at the right time.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Williams-Goerges just starting.

Pleasantly surprised with how Djokovic has played. Wasn't expecting that...he seems to be finding his form at the right time.

Julia looks slightly overwhelmed by the aura of Serena tbh. Serena clearly vulnerable, but not really sure Julia has the stones to get it done.

Berens a lot of people's dark horse a set down by Kerber in what is a very close match so far. Winner plays Garcia:o

• Advertisement

Women's side is more interesting. Muguruza looked in great form - the past two matches in particular!! A definite favourite along with Halep and Kerber imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Julia looks slightly overwhelmed by the aura of Serena tbh.

I increasingly find Serena's on court attitude to be distasteful - over past 2-3 years. She doesn't show much respect for her opponents in her body language. Sort of alternates between slouching and prowling around. Not even clear if she's enjoying it.

That said, lots of fans still seem to like her. Not my cup of tea though.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I increasingly find Serena's on court attitude to be distasteful - over past 2-3 years. She doesn't show much respect for her opponents in her body language. Sort of alternates between slouching and prowling around. Not even clear if she's enjoying it.

That said, lots of fans still seem to like her. Not my cup of tea though.

It's her against the world out on the tennis court

Rikand wrote: »
    It's her against the world out on the tennis court

It works for her to be fair!:pac:

I am torn on Serena here, it would be amazing if she won this, but tbh it would also would not reflect well on the ladies side that someone could just rock up as cold and Serena and win such a tough Slam. Thankfully I don't think she will win:P

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Wow, the women's last 16 is so strong. Same with the men's actually.

Still haven't watched a single match in full, will be off Monday and Tuesday so hopefully then. As inevitable as the results tend to be, I'm still look forward to Serena-Sharapova matches. If there's any hope left for Sharapova ever beating Serena, it'll certainly be extinguished for good if she loses Monday. And even if she does beat her, would it even really matter? Sharapova's been dominated pretty much in every way anyone can be dominated, and this win would always be asterisked by Serena's return from pregnancy. It'd be really cool just to see it happen though, I didn't follow tennis back in 2004 so I've never seen it. I had just started secondary school when it last happened!

Still haven't watched a single match in full, will be off Monday and Tuesday so hopefully then. As inevitable as the results tend to be, I'm still look forward to Serena-Sharapova matches. If there's any hope left for Sharapova ever beating Serena, it'll certainly be extinguished for good if she loses Monday. And even if she does beat her, would it even really matter? Sharapova's been dominated pretty much in every way anyone can be dominated, and this win would always be asterisked by Serena's return from pregnancy. It'd be really cool just to see it happen though, I didn't follow tennis back in 2004 so I've never seen it. I had just started secondary school when it last happened!

I would love to see this happen. And I am a massive fan of both players. ( Some people think you must only like one or the other).

In reality though, I'd expect a comfortable straight sets victory for the legend that is Serena, and assuming she beats Masha, I'd like to see her win the tournament

Hunchback wrote: »
    , I'd like to see her win the tournament

It's hard to know at this stage whether she's a force for good or ill in the women's game? To win a tournament match against her, an opponent not only has to out muscle her but also overcome her very considerable force of character and court craft.

Was it this tournament 3 years ago maybe when she faced a young woman in the final who outplayed her brilliantly in the 1st set. Serena then did her slouching and pouting thing, seemed to lull her opponent into a false sense of hope and wham, bam - she went through her like a bull. That was the game when I lost respect for her. Not a fan as you can guess! But I'm sure she hardly cares what the public think.

To some extent it's the same for Nadal and Federer this past couple of years, not the gamesmanship as such but the force of personality and crowd appeal.

Zverev working on his stamina again. He is down 2 sets to 1 against Khachanov and it's going on serve in the 4th.

Thiem making easy work of Nishikori so far. He's up 6-2, 6-0 and it's on serve in the 3rd.

RosyLily wrote: »
    Zverev working on his stamina again. He is down 2 sets to 1 against Khachanov and it's going on serve in the 4th.

He looked very good winning the fifth :) Has he the game and strength of mind to challenge Nadal?

He looked very good winning the fifth :) Has he the game and strength of mind to challenge Nadal?

Nope

• Advertisement

He's got Thiem to worry about first who I assume will be strong favourite against him.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    He's got Thiem to worry about first who I assume will be strong favourite against him.

Not sure this lad cares too much about who is favourite. Confidence of youth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Wow, the women's last 16 is so strong. Same with the men's actually.

Will never forget it_ sunny afternoon in July at sw19. The pair had a healthy relationship that day. Same can’t be said now

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Don't think Sharapova will win, but if she does there should be no astrix, you show up to play, you're fit to play in my opinion.
    Never warmed to either player tbh

Caroline out. Kazatkina deserved the win. Both played a very entertaining game.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Serena withdraws, no match with Sharapova :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Arm injury.

Anderson loses his match by being completely 1-dimensional. Everytime he had an open court and he approached with the forehand, he HAMMERED it long. A softer shot would have won the points each time.

The 4 points he lost in the game where he served for the match in the 3rd set were all from him HAMMERING simple forehands out of play.

not that it matters much. I doubt either he or Schwartzmann would get anywhere near Nadal in the next round

And now Tsurenko withdraws, what a flop today was.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Arm injury.
    "arm injury"

Advertisement