Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just like starting over:The quest for a sub 18 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Monday 15th July: Plan - 5 mile tempo 4@ 7:05 last 1 @ 7:00 pace: Actual splits were 6:54;6:47;6:53;6:53;6:42. Got this done at lunchtime in the heat - felt good and strong even if it took me about an hour to stop sweating afterwards!! - Thankfully I have my own office :o:o

Tuesday 16th July: 6 miles @ 8:31 avg pace. Stuck for time so had to sneak this in while young lad was doing football training.

Wednesday 17th July: 6 x 1 mile @ 5:55 with 90 sec recovery.

Out at 7 am and legs were heavy at the start. Splits were 6:05; 5:58;5:54;5:54;4:27 (miscounted and only done 3 laps instead of 4:o)5:58 Total 8 miles. A real tough session especially at that hour but enjoyed it in a perverse kind of way.

Thursday 18th July: 7.2 miles @ 8:01 - late evening run with one of the lads from the club. Enjoyed the company and the miles flew by.

Friday 19th July: 3 mile easy then 2 x 1KM in 3:38 with 90 sec recovery:
    3 mile @ 8:35 pace followed by 2 x 1km (3:40; 3:34). Total 5 miles. Started in very humid conditions and finished it in a lightning storm with a cloud burst.

Saturday 20th July: Rest

Sunday 21st July - South Dublin 10k - 40:30

Went in fairly confident and was thinking I could give my PB (38:16) from 3 years ago a good rattle. The intention was to start out at 3:52 pace and see where that took me over last few km.

In retrospect, I started out too quick on first 2 and although I felt ok I probably paid for it. By 4km in I had the start of a stitch that got progressively worse and I couldn't shake it. Ended up walking to see could I shake it and while it did abate for a while, I ended up walking again at the water stop to see if taking water would help. Ended up being a real sufferfest and struggled home.

Was very disappointed with this but have moved on - these things happen and the training doesn't go to waste. Next target is Charleville Half in September.

Splits were: 3:45;3:45; 3:54;3:52;3:59;4:15;4:36;4:07;4:11; 3:59

Weekly total: 39.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tough day out there J - I share your angst.

Good you see you at the start

Tough day out there J - I share your angst.

Good you see you at the start

Good to see you too. Yep we both had eerily similar days (apart from the fact you were finished 2 minutes ahead of me!! :))

Monday 22nd July: 5 mile @ 7:53 avg pace.
    A nice and handy run snuck in before training with my running group around the football pitch

Tues 23rd July: 7 mile @ 7:52 avg pace. Nice and early run at 6am around Cavan Town.

Wednesday 24th July: Plan - 2 x 3 miles @ 6:15 with 1/2 mile rec in 4mins:
    Set the alarm for 5:30 am, had the porridge and then headed down to the track for 6:30am. Done a nice and handy 1 mile warm-up @ 7:43 avg pace and followed it with a few stretches.

First 3 mile was done in 6:13;6:18;6:14 but was already really feeling the heat. Needed to answer the call so took the 4 minutes standing recovery.

Was really struggling on the second set and only managed 2 miles before throwing in the towel. 6:11; 6:20;

Disappointed not to finish this one out and think part of it was a hangover from Sunday's race and not being in the right frame of mind. I seen it looming in the plan and let it into my head that it was beyond me.
    Total 7 miles.

Thurs 25th July: 5 mile @ 7:50 avg pace. Handy run in the evening around the football pitch after training with the running group.

Friday 26th July: 7 mile tempo 5@6:45 last 2 @6:38 pace.

Actual: 6:45; 6:57 (long hill) 6:46;6:43; 6:47; 6:41; 6:40. Happy with this as done it at lunchtime in the heat and on a fairly lumpy route so glad to grind it out. Focussed on effort rather than obsessing about hitting the paces and think this made it easier and more manageable.

Saturday 27th July: Rest

Sunday 28th July: Plan. 12 miles @ 7:10 pace;

Actual - 12 mile @ 7:05 avg pace. Delighted with this as felt really strong and controlled the whole time as the miles flew by. Last two miles were 6:55 and 6:47 as I focussed on finishing strong.

Weekly Total: 44 miles

Happy with the two good sessions on Friday and Sunday after a shaky start to the week.

Monday 29th July8.2 miles (5.5 @ 8:01 avg pace, 2.7 @ 10:30 avg pace)

Struggled to fit this in so done 5.5 around the pitch before my running group and then done 2.7 miles with them.

Tuesday 30th July: 8 mile @ 7:40 avg pace

A 5:30 am start for this. Legs were fresh as daisies so went with it.

Wednesday 31st July: 7.5 mile tempo @ 6:48

Had planned to get out at lunchtime for this but got called to a meeting so only chance was straight after work. The target pace was 6:35 but knew early on that I was never going to hit that pace especially at 22 degrees!! Kept the effort as honest as I could. A real struggle to get around and never got close to the pace planned but a half decent workout.

Monthly Total 175 miles

Thursday 1st AugustPlan- 6 x 1mile with 90sec recovery

Was wary of this one when I saw it coming up and got out later than planned.

It was 4:30 when I got down to the track and the sun was still beating down.

Started with a easy 1 mile warm-up @ 7:47 pace followed by some stretching.

Splits were as follows:

6:08
    6:11
    6:18
    6:15
    6:12
    6:09

This felt surprisingly comfortable and only struggle was keeping the pace down.
    Happy out with this.

Total 8 miles

Friday 2nd August: 4 mile @ 9:03 avg pace

A nice easy run in the rain but legs were dead and it was a real struggle to get it finished.

Saturday 3rd August: Breffni Challenge Half Marathon 1:30:44

This was a local race a few mile away and raises loads of money for charity. The running group I'm training were targeting this and was coaching 6 for the half and another 6 doing the 10k so I decided to join the crew on the half, along with my usual running buddy.

Had a chat beforehand with running buddy and we decided that as it was such a hilly route we would try it at roughly marathon pace and maybe push on over the last few miles.

Started at the very back with my running group and we slowly worked our way up the field, with loads of chatting to people we knew, but keeping it handy as the first mile was downhill. We hit the hills a few miles in but were still working our way up the field with the effort feeling comfortable. Caught up with the leading ladies around 4.5 mile in and stayed with them for a while as they were out on their own. Running buddy got a bit of stitch shortly after so we slowed down to see could he get rid of it. He told me to push on but I decided to stay with him.

I somehow realised that he had dropped away a mile later and was nowhere to be seen. My pace was down to 7:22 avg at this stage and I was in no mans land so decided to push on a bit and see could I pick up anyone to pass a few miles with. We got back into town at the half way mark and out another road. There was a long straight where I could see about a km down the road and seen about 5 runners strung out over the kilometre so decided I would try and pick them off one by one. That kept me occupied for a few miles and 1 had caught and passed them all by 9 mile and was again out on my own. Mile 10 had an evil hill than I nearly walked up but just about kept going even though the legs were zapped and the breath was gone!!

Took a fair bit to recover but thankfully I seen someone ahead when we hit a straight and resolved to pass them by the time we hit the last junction at mile 12. Managed to get them on the turn at the junction but he had no interest in sticking with me. I was now on the home straight and passing groups of 5km walkers. Just kept pushing the pace as I was starting to think that a sub 90 minutes was possible. Course was about .15mile long so that was off the agenda but had a really good strong finish with a last mile of 6:30 pace (even with a long hill).

Clock was 1:30:45 when I passed it. Was initially disappointed not to hit 1:30 but the course was definitely long and I lost nearly 1 minute slowing down early on so got over that fairly quick. Not to mention the hills!!! Also finished 6th so happy with that too!

Ran back down the road to meet my crew and running buddy (he got home in 1:37 and ran back with me after he finished). Done the last mile with one of my group who was struggling after all the hills and was delighted that all my crew got home in one piece. Was immensely proud of them all especially as a few of them struggled to run for 2 minutes without stopping when I started with them in February!!

Had a few celebratory drinks with the crew that evening. and a very late night!!

Splits for the HM were; 6:51; 6:43; 6:54; 7:11; 7:22; 6:55; 6:32; 6:56; 6:46; 6:39; 6:53; 6:52; 6:29; 1:42 (avg pace 6:51)

Total: 17 miles

Sunday 4th August: Rest

Weekly Total: 52.7 miles

• Advertisement

Monday 5th August: 7 mile @ 7:55 avg pace. Done this out on forest trails but got caught in a monsoon with thunder and lightning so took a short cut back to the car!!

Tuesday 6th August: 8 mile tempo 6@ 7:05 last 2 @ 7:00 pace: Went out very early and had to go with a fairly lumpy route so while pace was up and down, effort was fairly consistent. 7:19;6:54;6:59;7:04;6:54;6:51; 7:27; 7:00

Wed 7th August: Rest

Thursday 8th August: 4 x 1 mile @ 6:30 pace with half mile recovery in 4:00 mins between each:

Down to the local pitch track at 6:30 am for these and felt good and controlled with a strong finish. Maybe a little too quick but effort felt ok.
    Splits 6:12; 6:17; 6:15; 6:10.

Total: 7 miles

Friday 9th August: 6 mile @ 8:20 avg pace.

Another crack of dawn run down at the local gaa pitch. Kept the pace nice and handy.

Saturday 10th August: Plan - 14 miles 12 @ 7:35 last 2 @ 7:20 pace;

First 12 were at 7:18 avg pace and last two I picked it up to finish strong 6:55; 6:52. Really pleased with this run as I was tired going into it but managed to stay strong and finished strong and remarkably fresh.

Sunday 11th August: 5mile @ 8:51 avg pace.

Another nice and handy run around the local pitch

Weekly total: 47 miles - a good weeks work especially as it was a very busy week at work and sleep was in short supply.

Monday 12th August: 9 miles @ 7:48 avg pace

Picked a new route for this and miles flew by.

Tuesday 13th August: 7 miles @ 7:47 avg pace

Snuck this one in as young lad was playing a match at local pitch.

Wednesday 14th August: Castlepollard 5k: 18:25

This was by no means a target race and I had a lot of miles clocked in the build up but wan't a good honest effort. Main reason for signing up was that a good group of the running group I'm coaching were targeting this so went to keep them company!!

After warning them not to head off to quick and to enjoy the event and the nice finish, I headed to the top of the field. Kept reminding myself not to bomb off and goose myself but relax into the race. Felt I went out a bit on the hard side but eased off a wee bit and happy to see 3:36 for 1st km. Next km has a drag which I knew about and was a bit isolated here but still surprised to see the garmin beep at 3:53 . Still no reason to panic as was feeling ok and upped the gears to tag onto a group ahead. Next 2 kms were all about keeping an honest effort and had the welcome distraction of trying to spot some of my running group as we started to meet people coming into the castle grounds. Happy where I was at that point both in terms of how I felt, seeing some familiar faces around me and knowing that I had run a 3:20 final km in this race a few years ago. 3:41; 3:37.

Once we hit the final km mark, I upped the pace and focused on hitting a 3:20 which would land me in low 18s territory. That was fine for about 200mtrs but then started to feel like I was going to get sick. I did genuinely worry a few times that I would get sick and was all over the road - apologies to anyone that had to listen to my retching while I ran at this point in the race :o:o!!

Gritted the teeth and managed a 3:34 final km, which all things considered, I was happy enough with. 18:25 is the same time I ran in Clones in my last 5km but as I'm focused on Half marathon training, I'm not too worried about that.

All my group got home in great times and we had a happy bunch heading home - all with shiny new PB's. Love this race and the fantastic spread afterwards..

Total: 6 miles

Thursday 15th August: Rest

Friday 16th August: 7.7 mile tempo @ 6:52 avg pace

Finished work early taking advantage of a quiet Friday evening and headed out for this. More than a bit surprised to find it was 22 degrees and the sun was strong!! Found it tough and had to grind this out. It was meant to be 8 but was stopped in the street at 7.7 miles by somebody from work and I really couldn't bomb past them!!

Splits: 6:57;6:57;6:52;6:42;6:57;6:52;6:51; (6:47 pace for last bit)

Saturday 17th August: 8 mile (5@8:29; 3@9:55)

Had training with my running group at 8 so snuck in 5 mile before they arrived on my own and then done 3 with them.

Sunday 18th August:Plan - 15 mile@7:25 (last 2 at 7:15)

Actual 15 @ 7:27

Not much to be said for this. Was tired from the off with poor preparation and a poor nights sleep but happy to grind out 15 miles at close to target pace. Big one is next weekend with 15 targeted at 7:15 - need to be properly prepped for that.

Weekly total: 52.7 miles.

Monday August 19th: 8 mile @ 7:44 avg pace.

Handy early morning run.

Tuesday 20th August: 4 x 2 miles @ 6:20 pace with 1/2 mile rec in 4 mins:

Early start for this down at the local track. Splits were 6:15;6:20 6:18;6:19; 6:16;6:23; 6:19; 6:26

Delighted with this one - a real toughie but managed to hit the pace mostly. Last mile was hanging on for dear life!!

Total: 10.5 miles.

Wednesday 21st August: 8 miles easy@ 8:13 avg pace

Thurs 22nd August: 6 x 1 miles @ 6:00 pace with 90 sec recovery-

Splits were 5:58;6:00;5:57;5:59;6:01; 5:57- Down at the track for 7am for this- happy to hit the paces and get this done. Total 8 miles.

Friday 23rd August: Rest

Saturday 24th August: 6 miles easy @ 8:35 avg pace. Spent the day helping to set up a triathlon event and marshal at it so was tired went I got out so kept it very handy around the local gaa pitch.

Sunday 25th August: 15 mile @ 7:15 pace:

Actual was 15 @ 7:18 avg pace
    Splits were: 7:24;6:54;7:08;7:03;7:15;7:14;7:03;7:15;7:25;7;13;7:15;7:18; 7:29;8:04;7:28;
    It was a fairly lumpy route but ran out of juice over the last few miles and legs were dead - was just happy to finish the miles out!

Weekly Total: 55.5 miles

Monday 26th August: 6 mile @ 8:36 avg pace

A very handy late evening run on tired legs

Tuesday 27th August: Rest

Wednesday 28th August: 8 mile @ 7:46 avg pace

Early 6am start for this and legs had a bit of zip back in them.

Thursday 29th August: Plan 10 mile tempo @ 6:55 avg pace

Actual - 6 mile with 4 miles @ 6:52 avg pace

Absolutely horrible run. In truth wasn't feeling great all week - legs, body and mentally felt very tired. HR was up and was sweating buckets even on the warm-up mile of this. Pulled the plug after 4 mile tempo as was in bits and felt there was little point in flogging myself when I felt so crap.

Had a chat with coach and decided to rest up for the rest of the week and let the body deal with whatever bug it was fighting.

Spent the rest of the week resting and sleeping and finally have shaken whatever got into the system.

Weekly total: 20 miles

August total: 204.2 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Thursday 29th August: Plan 10 mile tempo @ 6:55 avg pace
    That's a massive session in fairness

That's a massive session in fairness

Yep - nothing easy about that one but should have been able for it if I was 100%.

So back at it this week and needed a good week under my belt to get the confidence back up with Charleville rapidly looming!!

Monday 2nd Sept: 5.2 miles easy @9:04 avg pace. Out at 6 am for laps off the pitch with running buddy. Took it nice and handy and the miles flew by.

Tuesday 3rd Sept: 2 x 3 mile @ 6:15 pace with 1/2 mile rec in 4 mins:
    Got out late in the evening for this in an absolute deluge. Pace for first rep was 6:11 avg and 6:12 avg for second set, when the heavens opened. Delighted with this apart from getting soaked to the bone! Total 8 miles.

Wednesday 4th Sept:5 mile easy @ 8:19 - same football field as Monday. This time it was the evening while waiting for young lads match to start.

Thursday 5th Sept: 7 miles easy @ 7:49 avg pace: 5:30 am start for this and legs had plenty of zip in them.

Friday 6th Sept: 7.5 mile tempo run 6 @ 6:50 last 1.5 @ 6:40 pace.
    Headed out at lunchtime for this around town. Splits for the tempo miles were 6:45;6:45;6:34;6:44; 6:46;6:46; 6:34; 6:31. Thrilled with this as felt comfortable the whole time despite being bit anxious going into it - was on a fairly lumpy route too so was even more pleasing. A real confidence booster going into Charleville.

Total 9.2 miles

Saturday 7th Sept: 3 miles recovery @ 11:15 avg pace Was training my running group at 8am so done the run with them as a nice and easy recovery run.

Sunday 8th September (am) 10 mile 9@ 7:10 last 1 @ 7:00 pace.

Headed out early in the morning for this with an afternoon 5k in mind. Splits were as follows: 6:59;7:07;7:01;7:10;7:08;7:01;7:08;7:02;7:05;7:04. Total 11.5 miles. Really happy with this as it felt relatively comfortable the whole way around. total was 12 miles after warm-up and cool down.

(pm) 5k in 18:53!
    Got roped into doing the run leg of a sprint triathlon with Mrs BinB and another lad from her Tri Club. Was planning to take it easy on the run until an opportunity to get on the podium entered the mix. Really enjoyed this once the legs got moving after 1.5kms and concentrated on working my way through the field and kept it honest.

Total: 15 miles

Weekly total: 51.7 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Goal time in mind for C’ville J?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Goal time in mind for C’ville J?

Aiming for low 1:27's B which would be a decent bit of my PB.

Best of luck tomorrow J, run well!!

Have let this slip again so will try to get back up to date.

Monday 9th September: Rest

Tuesday 10th September: 2 x [EMAIL="2miles@6:35"]2miles@6:35[/EMAIL] avg pace with 4 mins recoveries

Down at the track for this and focus was on keeping the pace right and not going too hard.

Splits were: 6:36;6:33 6:30;6:33

Wednesday 11th September: 6 miles @ 8:03 avg pace

Nice and handy 6am run

Thursday 12th September: 3x1mile @ 6:25 avg pace with 2 min rec

Got out at lunchtime for this down at the track. Again focus was on hitting the paces and not going too hard.

Splits were 6:20;6:25;6:23

Friday 13th September: Rest

Saturday 14th September: 3 mile @ 11 min avg pace

Done this with my running group as part of their long slow run

Sunday 15th September: 16 mile incl Charleville HM

This didn't go to plan to say the least. I was bang on target until mile 8 but wheels fell off after than and it became a struggle to get home in one piece. It was a death march from mile 8 on and ended up finishing it in 1:33:16.

A few things went wrong for me but main one was that I never slept a wink the night before in the hotel - room was too warm but when I opened the window the traffic noise woke me.... I felt crap the next morning and struggled to stomach breakfast.

Was sweating badly in the warm up and needed to change my top. The first mile felt ok and was ahead of target but it turned into a real struggle from then on in but kept going until 8 mile (even though it was a real battle to convince myself to keep going). The head was completely bunged up and I ran out of energy. Woke up the following morning with a heavy head cold and voice was gone so obviously the body was fighting a bug.

HR was very high from the outset and obviously was never going to be my day. I was very disappointed given the training block I put in but the training isn't going to go to waste so moved on fairly quickly.

Weekly Total: 37 miles

Monday 16th September: 6 miles @ 8:52 avg pace

An early run with running buddy. Didn't feel great and HR was elevated.

Tuesday 17th Sept: Rest

Weds 18th Sept: Rest:

Thurs 19th Sept: Rest

Fri 20th Sept- Rest

Sat 21st Sept 10 miles 8 @ 7:20 last 2 @ 6:55 pace. Last 7 miles were done in an absolute deluge and it was tough going the rain was that bad but ground it out and managed to pick it up over last two miles and finish strong. 10 @ 7:09 avg pace, last 2 6:58; 6:50

Sun 22nd Sept 7 miles @ 8:15 avg pace - kept this nice and handy and missed most of the rain

Weekly total: 23 miles

Sorry to hear it didn't go well in Charleville - its the pits when that happens.

Dont lose the fitness - put it to some good use!

Monday 23rd September: 5 miles @ 8:35 avg pace

Nice and handy 6 am run with running buddy. Great way to start the week!

Tuesday 24th Sept. Plan 9 mile tempo @ 6:55 pace. Actual 6 miles with 3 @ tempo - tempo splits 6:52; 6:59; 7:02. The only time slot I had for this was at lunchtime but got called to a meeting at short notice and headed out straight after it to squeeze this in. It was surprisingly warm and had no time for a warm-up so got straight into the tempo bit but it was never going to happen for me so pulled up after the 3 mile and headed back at easy pace.

Wednesday 25th Sept: 8 mile easy @ 8:07 avg pace with company

Thurs 26th Sept: Rest

Friday 27th Sept: 6 mile easy @ 8:15 avg pace

Saturday 28th Sept: 11 mile with 9 @temp pace -

I was determined to hit this one as it had been bugging me all week and was playing on my mind. Focused on keeping the heart rate in the right zone early on and relaxed on the pace. Was delighted to grind out the 9 miles as I find these long threshold runs a great confidence builder. Didn't hit the 6:55 bang on but was fairly close!! Splits 6:58; 6:53; 6:55; 7:03; 7:01; 6:57; 7:00; 7:00; 6:52

Sunday 29th Sept: Masters Cross-country (5k) Silver Medal!!

Reasonably happy with this. Unfortunately we didn't have a team so was fighting for an individual placing. Course was 5 1k laps and had a few drags and some very soft spots but not the worst I've seen the course. The field was about 20 and looking around at the start I was fairly confident of finishing in the medals but knew 1st was not going to happy. Got into a nice position after about 500mtrs on the shoulder of the 2nd placed runner (leader was long gone into the distance as expected!). Stayed out of trouble as the course started to cut up and focused on staying with 2nd place until near the end of the 4th lap. Knew the lad in 2nd was puffing hard so when we got to a long straight I passed him and sped up and kept going. Last lap was fastest by 20 seconds which I was happy with but also told me I was comfortable too. Done an easy 3 mile cool down afterwards with one of the lads from the club.

Total - 6.5 miles

Weekly Total: 42.5 miles
    cleardot.gif

Monday 30th September: 5 mile @ 8:55 avg pace

The usual Monday at 6am run with running buddy at a handy pace around local gaa pitch track.

September total mileage: 159.2 miles.

Tuesday 1st October: 5 miles with 2 x 2 @ 6:35

Under pressure time wise for this and tried to squeeze it in before I trained my running group. Managed to get the reps in but had no time for a cool down as had to leg it to training.

Splits for the reps were 6:29;6:35 and 6:15; 6:18

Second set were a wee bit too quick but they felt ok.

Ran with the running group as a cool down - done 2.5 miles @ 10:55 avg pace

Total: 7.5 miles

Wed 2nd October: 6.2 miles @ 8:00 avg pace

Squeezed this in while young lad was doing athletics training - perfect evening for running and really enjoyed this.

Thursday 3rd October: 2 miles @ 11:30 avg pace.

Ran this with the running group as the weather was too rough to get out earlier.

Friday 3rd October: Rest

Saturday 4th October: Galway Bay Hm: 1:27:02 (PB!!)

After Charleville I quietly had this as a fall back race to get something out of a really good training block on the board. I decided that I wasn't going to put myself under pressure and had a target of sub 1:30 but with the aim of going for a PB (1:28:27) if things were going well. 5 of my running group were heading to Galway for the half with 4 of them hoping for a sub 2 hour HM.

Met up at the club at 8am and headed off with 4 of the group for Galway. Spirits were good on the way down and we got parked up close to the start but had little time for a warm-up. Wished the group good luck and headed for one last pit stop before the start. Nearly missed the start with the queue but made it bad and was happy enough to be well back and not too near the front.

With no fuss the race got off for the first small loop of 2 miles and my plan was to stick behind the sub 1:30 pacers for the first 3 miles and then start to push on. Slowly and gradually worked my way up to the pacers over the first miles and was surprised at how many walkers I was weaving around even in the first mile. Crossed the start line again and was really weaving now. Was right beside the pacers after 2.5 miles and was feeling really comfortable so started to leave them behind.

6:41; 6:46; 6:36

Rain was blowing into my face now but started to work my way up the field picking runners off. Caught up with a lad who was running at a nice pace and looking like he was out for a jog on mile 4 and fell into step with him. Started to chat with him as he was on a training run and already had a sub 1:25 Half under his belt this year. A few miles flew by and it was great to have the company but he slowed for the water table which I didn't bother with. Took a gel after 5 miles with no issues and focussed on working my way through the field and picking people off while dodging floods and slow moving runners.

6:44; 6:32;6:37;6:38

Half way through and I was feeling really comfortable and enjoying working my way through the field and was also distracted by looking out for my group as we met groups on the loop. Starting into the last loop it started raining really heavy and I was drenched to the bone with the rain coming in off the sea into my face. Spent a mile running with 2 others but decided to leave them behind as I was feeling strong. Caught a guy ahead and settled in to running with him on the 8th mile and ran with him for a fair bit even though I knew he was going a bit too hard for my liking. Eventually let him go as we faced the only uphill section for the last time. Was working hard here and debated taking on another gel but decided against it and just kept the head down into the wind and lashing rain knowing that the last 3 miles were nice and flat.

6:33;6:35; 6:47

Once I took the turn onto the prom and left the hill behind I knew it was going to be a good day. I felt fresh and ready for the last 3 miles. My buddy from earlier caught up with me here and told me I was way ahead of target. We had a few brief words and I told him to finish out his race as I knew he was itching to bomb on. He offered me a gel before heading off. I passed on the gel and immediately regretted not picking it up and finishing it out with him as I was in no mans land and had no one to target now. Was still weaving through the walking dead from the marathon and those finishing their first loop of the half, so decided to rein in my buddy!. Kept him no more than 10 yards ahead of me as the rain lashed down and just focussed on staying out of trouble as I got closer to the finish. Got a sharp pain in the hip as I weaved around a group of runners at mile 12 and for a few seconds thought was day was done!! Kept going though and soon the pain disappeared and suddenly I was on the last mile and feeling good. Upped the pace and even managed a sprint finish for the line.

6:35;6:32;6:30; 0:53

Thrilled to see 1:27:xx on the clock as I crossed the line and could scarcely believe my watch when it showed me 1:27:02!! Had a few dodgy minutes when I thought I was going to get sick but eventually recovered. Had a lovely bowl of soup and a lovely alcohol free beer before heading back to the 12 mile mark for my group. Thrilled that all 4 targeting sub 2hours comfortably achieved that and the fifth was delighted with her time- got more of a kick out of that than my own race.

Had the nicest hot shower ever before getting something to eat with the group before heading home.

Total: 16 miles

Good man J, great racing. That’s the way to get Charleville out of the system.

Congrats!

Silver in the XC and a PB in the HM - a good weeks work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

A1 great stuff. Congrats!

Time for an update - didn't realise I was this far behind!!!

Monday 7th October: 6.5 mile @ 8:34 avg pace - squeezed this in at lunchtime with two of the girls I work with.

Tuesday 8th October: 8 mile tempo @ 6:52 pace: 8 @ 6:53 - delighted with this as the legs were tired and I picked a fairly lumpy route. Once I got the first few miles at the right pace it wasn't too bad.

Wednesday 9th October: 7 miles @ 7:55; last mile @ 6:50. Legs were tired for this and happy to get it done.

Thursday 10th October: 7 easy @ 8:02 avg pace - done this in Carlow after a work conference along the river towpath. Nearly lost my ankles to a dog but apart from that was fairly uneventful!

Friday 11th October: 6 miles with 20 mins at marathon pace. Knowing I wouldn't get out for anything of substance of Saturday got out very late for this. Met one of the lads from the club and slotted in with him. His plan had him picking up the pace for 20mins so went with that if it felt ok and surprisingly it felt fine.

Saturday 12th October
    4.5 mile @ 9:30 avg pace. Was training my running group first thing for their long run and ran this with them at the club track (while the kids played with their tablets). Body felt the better for the miles at the easy pace.

Sunday 13th October: 12 miles @ 7:03 avg. Delighted with this as was tempted to throw the towel in a few times early on but gritted it out and miles started to fly by once I got in the zone.

Weekly total: 52 miles - A good solid week!

Monday 14th October Plan was 9 mile tempo 3@ 6:55 3 @ 6:50 3 @ 6:45pace

Actual was 9 @ 6:47 - splits were 6:40;6:50;6:49;6:51;6:42;6:49;6:42;6:49;6:45. Got out at lunch time for this on a fairly lumpy course. A real toughie but am beginning to enjoy the challenge of these lunchtime tempo runs.

Tuesday 15th October: 8 mile easy @ 8:09 avg pace at 6am

Wednesday 16th October: Plan- 4 x 2 mile @ 6:30 pace with 90 sec recovery

Headed out at first light for this and started into it after a nice and handy warm-up mile. Stomach felt dodgy from the word go and was feeling really crap. Managed the first two : 6:42;6:46 but felt really crap. Next set were 6:37;6:39. Reluctantly pulled the plug after this set!

Thurs 17th October: Rest - gladly took the free day as was feeling crap.

Friday 18th October:
    9 mile @ 7:27 avg pace - feeling a lot better and pace showed it!

Saturday 19th October 12 mile 10 @ 7:20 last 2 @ 6:50 pace; 10 mile @ 7:06 avg pace; 2 @ 6:56;6:54. Done this in the afternoon after organising a 5km race that morning so body was very tired heading out so happy with the pace.

Sunday 20th October 7 mile easy @ 8:24

Weekly total: 51 miles. An ok week - good mileage but missed out on nailing the main session of the week.

Monday 21st October: Oct 21st - Plan 6 mile tempo 2 @ 6:55 2 @ 6:50 last 2 @ 6:45:

Usual lunchtime jaunt for this. Splits were 6:52;6:53;6:55; 6:43;6:41;6:45. Happy with this on a very lumpy course.

Tuesday 22nd October 8 miles @ 8:18 avg pace around football pitch track.

Wednesday 23rd October 7 miles @ 8:03 avg pace - another lunchtime run to squeeze this in.

Thursday 24th October: Rest. An unplanned rest day as I had to go to Belfast with work as hit the road at 6am and didn't finish work until 10pm.

Friday 25th October: Rest Attempted to get out early in Belfast but the paths were lethal with frost so had to abandon. Didn't get home until after 10pm so no chance to run.

Saturday 26th October Gallant 10km Challenge.

This was just down the road from me and a few from my running group were doing it so went with it. Wasn't familiar with the course but should have guessed it would be tough when I seen the startline at the bottom of a steep hill. By end of the first km I was in 2nd place (field was sparse!!) so instead of sticking with the plan to incorporate a missed session into the run, I just went with it. Never seen hills like these and the first 5km kept climbing and climbing. The 2nd half was net downhill so picked up the pace once I got my breath back and happy to finish 2nd and a good workout at the end of a messy week. Splits were: 4:00;4:06;4:14;4:29;4:34;4:06;4:02;3:53;3:50;3:42

Sunday 27th October: Plan - 10 mile @ 7:05 pace Actual - 10mile @ 7:06 average pace - body was tired and sore so happy just to grit this out and get it done.

Weekly Total: 41 miles - A decent enough week, considering I missed two days with travelling and work.

Monday 28th October: 8 mile@ 8:04 avg pace around midday at the local gaa pitch track.

Tuesday 29th October: 7 mile @ 6:48 avg pace on a fairly lumpy route at lunchtime. Very happy with this. Total 8 miles with warm-up and cool down.

Wednesday 30th October: 7 mile @ 8:30 avg pace around local gaa pitch track after work.

Thursday 31st October: Plan - 6 x 1 miles @ 6:25 pace with 2 min rec.
    Done this at first light at the pitch track again. Splits were 6:31;6:10;6:06;6:06;6:12;6:11. Couldn't get going for first mile but then couldn't slow down for the rest!! Still felt reasonably ok and wasn't hanging on at any stage. Delighted with this.Total 8.5 miles

October total: 206.2 miles

Friday 1st November 8.7 miles @ 8:03 avg pace. Was down in Kerry for this and misjudged the distance. Enjoyed this and the change of scenery. Weather was manky though.

Saturday 2nd November: Rest

Sunday 3rd November: Plan - 12 mile 10@ 7:20 last 2 @ 7:10 pace

Actual: 12 mile @ 7:16 avg pace. w last two at 7:12; 7:08. This was a very tired run done in the late afternoon. Was just glad to grind it out.

Weekly total: 52.2 miles

Monday 4th November: 8 miles @ 8:15 avg pace. 5:30am start for this in the cold! Legs felt surprisingly fresh but kept it easy still.

Tuesday 5th November Rest

Wednesday 6th November:
    4 mile @ 8:18 avg pace.

Thursday 7th November - Plan 3 x 2 mile @ 6:35 pace with half mile recovery in 4 mins between each 2mile -

Splits 6:32;6:32 6:24;6:28; 6:27; 6:31. Total 8 miles. Done this at first light at the local gaa pitch track. The corner was flooded which made it awkward as I had to negotiate around it so happy to hit target pace.

Friday 8th November: 5 mile @ 7:49 avg pace. Nice and handy lunchtime run.

Saturday 9th November: Plan 9 miles 6@ 7:20 2 @ 7:10 1 @ 7:05 pace -

Strange one this as I was working all day and went out straight after I finished and had to fight the temptation not to just sleep in the car instead!! So was expecting this to be a real struggle. Weather was horrible too which didn't help. Dug in for the first few miles and once these were done I started to enjoy this. Splits were 7:11;7:12;7:01;7:06;7:05; 7:09;7:12;7:07; 6:43. Avg pace 7:05

Sunday 10th November: 6 mile @ 8:50 avg pace.

Weekly total: 40 miles A bit of a step back week mileage wise but nailed two good sessions so happy with that.

Fair play with the early sessions! I'd love to have the fortitude to do them.

Monday 11th November: 5.2 miles @ 7:50 avg page.

Nice and handy lunchtime run.

Tuesday 12th November: 3 x 2 K in 7:50 with 1 k recovery in 5 mins.

Done this at the local gaa pitch track at first light. Splits were 3:49;3:50 (7:39); 3:46;3:52 (7:38); 3:47;3:53) 7:40. Very happy with this run - felt good and strong.

Total: 7 miles

Wednesday 13th November: Rest

Thursday 14th November: 5 mile @ 6:45 pace / 2min jog / 2 x 1km in 3:40 with 60 sec recovery.

Done this at lunchtime and the tempo miles felt tough so not surprising when I seen they were a good bit ahead of target pace. The km repeats felt good. Splits were 6:36;6:39;6:33;6:30; 6:33. kms were 3:41; 3:42

Total 6.5 miles

Friday 15th Nov: 7 miles @ 8:05 avg pace.

Another early morning run. Kept it nice and handy and body felt good.

Saturday 16th Nov: 4 x 2 k in 7:40 with 90 sec recovery.

Done this late in the afternoon trying to get it done before the light went. Splits were 7:27; 7:23; 7:23; 7:29. Delighted with this as it felt good and comfortable. Wasn't keeping an eye on pace so didn't realise until after that I was so ahead.

Total 7 miles.

Sunday 17th November: 10 mile easy.

Done this in two halves. First 4 miles were with my running group at 9:50 avg pace. Second bit was with running buddy on the forest trails at 7:51 avg pace.

Weekly total: 42.5 miles

Monday 18th November: 7 mile @ 7:52 avg pace

Got this done straight after work at local gaa pitch track.

Tuesday 19th November: 10 x 800 meters in 3:05 with 90 sec recovery.

Down to the track first thing for this and got stuck in after a nice and gentle warm-up. Splits for the 800mtrs were 3:01; 3:00; 2:57; 2:56; 2:55; 2:58; 2:57; 2:58; 2:59; 2:58. Thrilled with this as legs felt fresh and was consistently ahead of the pace without blowing too hard.

Total - 7 miles

Wednesday 20th November: 6 mile @ 8:18 avg pace.

A tired run after spending most of the day driving to and from Dublin.

Thursday 21st November: Plan 9.5 mile tempo 8@ 6:50 last 1.5 @ 6:45 pace.

Actual 9.5 mile @ 6:38 avg pace. Snuck this in at lunchtime and headed out on a lumpy route. Splits were 6:39;6:41;6:33; 6:40; 6:38; 6:34;6:38;6:37; 6:33; 3:17. Absolutely delighted with this as it was the same pace I ran the half in Galway and it felt ok even with the up and down nature of the route.

Friday 22nd November: Rest

Saturday 23rd November: Rest - wee princess had her birthday party and never got a chance to get out!

Sunday 24th November: 11 mile 9 @7 :10 last 2 @ 7:00 pace.

Actual: 10.5 miles @ 7:05 avg pace Early morning run on a very tired body and a lumpy route with plenty of hills. Didn't put myself under pressure to hit the pace and just eased into the run instead. Soon hit my stride and zoned out not really looking at the pace so pleased with the time. Got back to the car at 10.5 miles so went with that!.

Splits were 7:07; 7:05;7:10;7:09;7:05;6:56;7:00;7:01;7:15;7:03; 7:01 pace for last half mile.

Weekly total: 40 miles

So that's pretty much it for this cycle of training and it went very well. All roads lead to Clontarf on Saturday for the half marathon and hopefully a new PB!!

• Advertisement

Woops - hadn't realised I had let this go so long so major update needed.

November 25th:
    6 mile @ 8:26 avg pace

November 26th: 3 mile @ 7:27 avg pace. Tried to squeeze in a tempo run while young lad was doing football training - stomach rebelled and pulled the plug especially with a HM coming up

November 27th: 4 mile @ 9:02 avg pace 6 am recovery run with running buddy.

November 28th: 2 x 1 mile @ 6:15
    Hit 6:12 and 6:07 for these and felt good. Total - 4 mile

November 29th: Rest

November 30th: Clontarf HM - 1:27:18 (oh so nearly a big PB!!)

Went into this in great shape and feeling confident but knowing from doing this a few year ago that it would come down to conditions on the day. Unfortunately the conditions were tough and I had to work very hard early on into the wind.

The first four miles were into the wind and the mile and a bit on the beach were especially tough. Looking back at the heart rate, I was working far harder that usual for little enough reward!!

Like in Galway, I decided to stick with the 1:30 pacer for the first mile or 2 and then push on and work my way up the field. Even at that the first couple of miles took a lot of effort but was happy enough with how I was doing. Once we left the beach and got out of the wind, I was putting up some fast miles without feeling like I was working hard. Getting back on the beach was tough again as the wind was now into the side of us and the knee and hip were feeling the effects of running on the beach. But once I left the beach I was comfortable and was pushing for home and was on for a decent PB.

But about half a mile from the finish, with no warning I felt very sick with the stomach turning over - so much so I had to stop to let it pass. I must have looked in bad shape as someone stepped onto the course to help me sit down and give me water. Not sure how long I stopped for as I stopped the watch but got going again and managed a decent finish and was delighted to see 1:27:18 as a result. So overall I was very happy with the result and how I felt. I think the splits tell the story of the effect the wind was having on my run.

On the feeling sick, I took a gel at 5 miles and felt fine and didn't have any issues with it. I didn't take any water on board after I took the gel so not sure what happened. Even looking back afterwards, the wobble near the end is very hazy and there is a definite blank on what happened. I was definitely running at the max and was in zone 5 for 37 minutes with a max HR of 185.

Am very happy with the performance and without the wobble it would have been a big PB.

Splits 6:52; 6:47; 6:35;6:42; 6:23; 6:38; 6:33; 6:24; 6:45;6:39; 6:38; 6:31; ?? (stopped the watch when I stopped at 4:15 for 0.64 miles)

Total: 16 miles.

Weekly Total: 33 miles

Monthly Total: 176.2 miles

Advertisement