Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just like starting over:The quest for a sub 18 5k

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

So what’s the plan...:)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

So what’s the plan...:)

TbL

Now that's a good question!!! Not thinking too far into the future with uncertainty over races, etc, etc.

Plan so is to keep building the fitness over the winter and be ready for spring Half marathon if and when they go ahead!!

Monday 9th November: 8 mile easy @ 9:04 avg pace A rare run with a bit of company. Arranged to meet running buddy at 6am at the gaa pitch for this. Got up a wee bit early and got a mile done before he arrived. Ran 6 mile together before he headed on his way and finish out the 8 miles solo. Kept the pace real handy as he is only getting back into it.

Tuesday 10th November: 8.5 mile with 4 @ 6:40; 3@ 6:35 Out the door shortly before 7 am for this and again down to the GAA pitch track and after a 6 minutes warm up run got stuck in. Struggled with the usual just out of bed feeling for the first few, thought about throwing in the towel in the middle bits but kept the head down and got it done. Struggled with the increasing the pace bit over the last 3 miles but am very happy with this. A slow jog back home for the breakfast to finish this out.
    Splits for fast miles:
    6:35
    6:43
    6:32
    6:39
    6:40
    6:39
    6:34

Wednesday 11th Nov: Rest

Thursday 12th Nov: 2mile@6:20; 5x800 in 2:50 w/65 sec recovery

I Left this one until just after work and again down to the GAA pitch track which was surprisingly busy. Started with a 8 minutes jog to warm-up and then into the 2 miles. Felt really good doing the 2 miles and pace was good 6:16;6:15 without feeling under pressure. A 3 minute recovery before I got into the 800s. First one I felt comfortable and strong and was delighted to see 2:46 on the watch. Felt strong for the rest and finished it out not feeling completely fecked like some of these sessions. Splits for 800s:
    2:46
    2:45
    2:45

Another mile slow cool down to finish it out

Total: 6.5 miles

Friday 13th Nov: 8 mile @ 8:29 avg pace Down to the pitch before 6 am for this and running buddy joined me for a few miles. Enjoyed the chat and miles flew by.

Sat 14th Nov: 10 mile with 6 @ 6:55; last 4 @ 6:50.

Was dreading this a bit to be honest as the body was tired after a few tough sessions. I spent the morning doing manual labour at the kids school so was feeling creaky by the time this came around. Was tempted to hit the treadmill as the forecast was dreadful but eventually got out the door around 4 o clock. Done as much as I could on the roads before it got too dark and then headed to the football pitch track to finish it out. It started raining about 4 mile in and got worse and worse with every passing minute and eventually I was ankle deep in puddles on some of the corners of the track. Delighted to tough it out but was like a drowned rat by the time I got home. What doesn't kill you and all that :pac:

Splits: 6:54; 6:35;6:40;6:45; 6:41;6:47;6:50;6:48; 6:49; 6:52

The progression element never really happened but I'm putting that down more to the worsening underfoot conditions on the track than anything else.

Total: 10 miles

Sunday 15th Nov: 8.3 mile easy @ 8:37 avg page: Out early for this in the old runners (current pair hadn't dried out from yesterday's run!!) and met running buddy for a slow creaky run in the rain. Really enjoyed it as the miles flew by and nice to get it out early and free up the afternoon to watch Cavan pull off the great escape!!

Weekly Total: 49.3 miles

Monday 16th Nov: 8 mile easy @8:45 am. Out of bed at 5:30 am for this - got in a few mile before running buddy joined me for a few mile and then finished the 8 mile out on my own. Nice to have company for some of it.

Tuesday 17th Nov: 2 mile @ 6:15/ 3 min rec/ 8x800 in 2:50 with 90 sec recovery
    This looked like a monster when I seen it on the plan so was unsure what to expect when I started out. Headed down to GAA pitch track straight after work. Hit the first two mile in 6:18 exactly for both. While I wasn't paying too much attention to the pace, I was starting to question hitting 2:50 8 times!

Got stuck in anyway and decided not to worry too much about pace.
    Splits
    2:50
    2:48
    2:50
    2:51
    2:49
    2:47
    2:49
    2:51

Was starting to hang on for dear life over the last 3 but absolutely delighted with this.

Done a very slow and creaky cool down to bring me to 8 mile

Total: 8 miles

Wednesday 18th Nov: 7 mile easy @ 8:57.

Another 5:30 alarm and out the door for a few mile at the football pitch track. First 2 on my own and then had company for 4 and finished last one on my own. Unsurprisingly body was feeling tired.

Thursday 19th Nov: Rest

Friday 20th Nov: 2 mile @ 6:15; 12 x400mtrs at 83sec with 60 sec recovery

One of those days were everything was working against me going out. Had the running gear on at two different times for this but a long work call and issues I had to fix put paid to getting out. In the end I got a very small window late in the evening to get out so I took it. Not ideal as time was against me and I just had my dinner. Decided to leave out the first two miles and just do the reps as I was on my local gaa club track and it has a nasty hill on it which it difficult to pace properly.

Straight into the 400mtrs after a warm up. The rest of the family were walking around the track and were counting down the reps which was a good distraction.

Splits:

Not perfect by any means but something got done and I most definitely got a good honest work out!!

Some easy running finished it out to 6.5 miles for the day.

Saturday 21st Nov: 9 mile @ 8:20 avg pace

Nice and handy mid morning run. Nice to be out in the bright and enjoyed this.

Sunday 22nd Nov: 11mile @ 6:55 avg pace.

Out early for this as it was Ulster Final day!!! A different than usual one. Ran from the house and after 2 mile in and out of cul de sacs headed down to the Gaa pitch track for 36 laps of it. All the while listening to Second Captains talk about a Donegal and Dublin All Ireland semi final. Helped me keep the pace up. Miles ticked by.

Splits as follows:6:52;6:42;6:44;6:45;6:53;6:52;6:52;6:56;6:49;6:56.

Definitely overcooked the first half and paid in the second half of this but delighted with it. Set me up for the rest of the day and enjoyed a great day of sport. After waiting 23 years for Cavan to win Ulster, was bursting with pride for the way the Cavan players gave everything to win. I may have leaked a tear or two after the final whistle!!

Total 11 miles.

Weekly total: 49.5 miles
    Another solid weeks training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was expecting a post earlier last week after the Ulster final. Well we've still got a week to bask in the Ulster final glow I suppose :D

Best day in a long long time for this long suffering supporter. I. brought the eldest fella to the final last year. This year he wouldn't even put on the Cavan jersey for me. He's a Meath man now.

I was expecting a post earlier last week after the Ulster final. Well we've still got a week to bask in the Ulster final glow I suppose :D

Best day in a long long time for this long suffering supporter. I. brought the eldest fella to the final last year. This year he wouldn't even put on the Cavan jersey for me. He's a Meath man now.

Ha - work has been a bit mental but yeah fantastic week of basking in the glory. I've only re watched the game twice!!

Really enjoying the buzz the kids are getting outing of it as well heading off to school in the Cavan gear.

Hopefully that young lad of yours comes to his senses and puts back on the Cavan Jersey. The Meath jerseys are great for washing the car :D

Just hope we are a bit closer to Dublin than Meath managed :o

Monday 23rd Nov: 8 mile easy @ 8:33 - nice and easy trot from the house on my lunchbreak on tired legs. Also felt a little groggy after opening a bottle of whiskey I'd been saving to celebrate Cavan winning Ulster. The run blew a few cobwebs away!

Tuesday 24th Nov: 8 mile @ 8:42
    - Late evening run at the club Gaa pitch track - legs coming back to life a wee bit. Had a sports massage first thing that morning for the first time since February - they was lots of yelps and ows!! :o:o

Wednesday 25th Nov: Rest

Thursday 26th Nov:8 mile easy at 8:46 A nice and gentle run after a mental day at work.

Friday 27th Nov: 6 x 1mile @ 5:58 pace with 90 sec recovery

This had been down for Wednesday but finally got to it after work today in the semi dark at the gaa pitch track. Felt surprisingly ok as I was expected the tiredness I was feeling to catch up with me.

Hit the first one bang and felt ok. Never really struggled so very happy with that.

Splits were:
    5:58
    5:55
    5:53
    5:56

Cool down mile was at 7:15 pace so obviously was feeling good!

Delighted with this!

Total: 8 mile

Saturday 28th Nov: 8.3 miles @ 8:20 avg pace
    Was meant to be 9 but was staying close to the house so a lot of passing the house. Kids were out playing football when I passed at 8.3 miles so joined in!

Legs were tired on this one.

Sunday 29th Nov: 10 mile @ 6:50 pace

Felt this would be a toughie but felt surprisingly ok. After 40 laps of the Gaa pitch track, I'm looking forward to getting outside my 5km limit!!

Splits for the 10mile:
    6:43
    6:41
    6:42
    6:40
    6:45
    6:50
    6:49
    6:54
    6:49
    6:51

Total: 10 miles

Weekly Total: 50.3 mile - very happy with that week's work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

2 super sessions - good man.

Wow did I let this go so long again!!! That's the first of the new year's resolutions there :o

Monday 30th November: 7 miles @ 8:43 late evening run. Was working until very late and was very tired heading out for this. Had planned 8 but happy that I managed 7 miles around the football pitch in the dark!!

November monthly total: 222 miles - will take that!!

Tuesday 1st December: 15 x 35 sec hills with 2 mile warm up and cool down. 2 mile handy warm-up at 8:15 avg pace and then into the hills. Consistently hit the same spot and kept it honest. happy with this one too.

Total 6 miles

Wed 2nd December: 9 miles @ 8:15 avg pace. Legs felt better than I was expecting after the hills.

Thurs 3rd Dec: 7 mile easy @ 8:57 avg pace. Kept this very handy around football pitch after work.

Friday 4th Dec: 4 x 1 mile @ 6:20 with 1 mile recovery in 7:30
    Got out at lunchtime for this and down to gaa pitch track again. Splits for this 6:13; 7:24; 6:18; 7:24; 6:18; 7:18; Very happy with this and felt nice and controlled. Total. 8 miles with warm-up and cool down.

Sat 5th Dec: Rest

Sun 6th Dec: 12 x 400metes in 82/83 sec with 60 sec rec Back down to GAA pitch just before dark for this. Splits were 87;81;81;80;80'80'79;81;81;80;83;82. Apart from the first one where I just couldn't get the legs moving any quicker was very happy with this and felt I was strong for all. Total 6.5 miles.

Weekly total: 43.5miles (Dec 36.5)

Mon 7th Dec: 8 mile easy @ 7:48 avg pace - legs felt nice and fresh

Tues 8th Dec Rest - woke up with a heavy head cold

Wed 9th Dec: Rest

Thurs 10th Dec: Rest

Fri 11th Dec: 7 mile easy Feeling much better so went for an exploratory easy run straight after work. Kept it nice and handy - avg pace 8:28.

Sat 12th Dec: Planned to do a 5 mile tempo run I missed during the week as hadn't done one in a while. Splits were 6:28;6:22;6:25;6:21;6;20;6:19. Accidentally done 6 miles and delighted with the pace. Total 8.6 miles with warm up and cool down.

Sun 13th Dec: 7 mile easy @ 8:24 - nice and easy early run in the rain.

Weekly total: 30.6 miles

Mon 14th Dec: 2 mile @ 6:25 pace / 3min jog /8 x400m in 82/81 sec with 65 sec rec Legs were strangely heavy for this and first 2 quick miles were way off pace @ 6:37 and 6:41. Got going for the 400mtrs - splits 82;82;81;83;82;83;83;85. Total 6.3 miles. Not the best session ever but it got done and finished it out!!

Tues 15th Dec: 11 miles @ 8:04 avg pace. Went running with 2 of the lads from the club and we kept going when we hit 8. Enjoyed the company and miles flew by.

Wed 16th Dec: 3 x 2 mile @ 6:25 pace with 1 mile rec in 7:45 Out straight after work again for this at gaa pitch track. Splits 6:22;6:22; 7:21; 6:23;6:30; 7:41; 6:27;6:23; Absolutely delighted with this as body was tired going into it. Total 10.3 miles

Thurs 17th Dec: 5.2 miles easy at 6am with company @ 8:25 - Legs were tired so left it at 5.2 when running buddy left me.

Fri 18th: Rest

Sat 19th Dec: Plan was 7 x 1km in 3:40 with 80 sec rec Knee was feeling sore and was worried about a flare up of the tendonitis so decided to do the easy run instead today. 7 mile easy @ 8:27 avg pace.

Sun 20th Dec: Rest Not happy with the knee so decided an extra day's rest might help the knee - lots of icing and recovery.

Weekly total: 39.5

Mon 21st Dec: Started a session but really didn't feel happy so pulled the plug and turned this into a 3 mile easy run

Tues 22nd Dec: 5 mile easy @ 8:21

Wed 23rd Dec: 3 mile easy @ 8:24 and lots of knee rehab exercises

Thurs 24th Dec - Sat 26th Dec: Rest -knee rehab

Sun 27th Dec: 6 mile easy @ 8:21 to test the knee and thankfully no issues. 2 mile @ 6:15 pace / 3min jog / 12 x 200m in 39/40 with 60 sec rec

Weekly total: 17miles

Mon 28th Dec: 7 mile easy @ 8:17 - again no issues with the knee

Tues 29th Dec: 7 mile @ 8:37. easy run with some of the lads from the club around Cavan Town.

Wed 30th Dec: 2 x (200,400,800,800,400,200with 60sec rec and 3 min between sets. Target 39,81,2:50 )

Actuals: 39;80; 2:53; 2:56; 83;39 40;82;2:54; 2:54; 84; 40)

Total: 7 miles - a toughie but delighted the knee was fine!!

Thurs 31st Dec: Rest

Dec total: 144.6 miles

So there ends 2020 - I done a reasonably solid years training but obviously didn't get to test the training in races. Onwards and upwards for 2021!!

• Advertisement

Good to see you getting some quality in over the break.

So new year and time to think about plans for the year. Given all the external factors at play I've decided that I will treat this, for now, like a normal year running wise. So I'm training as if Bohermeen is happening and the plan is aimed at a quick half marathon time which will also be the hard slog/ base building work to be ready for the shorter stuff (if it happens over the summer).

Will take it month by month so focus for January is on getting the base built nice and strong - so lots of miles and focus mainly on tempo/ half marathon paced runs.

Friday 1st Jan: 6 mile easy@ 8:09 Nice and easy 6 mile – ran down to local gaa pitch track, loads of laps of the pitch and back home. Will be plenty of laps of the pitch in January!!

Sat 2nd Jan: 2 x 3 mile @ 6:35 avg pace with 0.5 mile recovery @ 8min pace: I knew this would be a tester of the fitness and the knee heading out. Started with a 10 minute easy warm-up from the house and then onto the gaa pitch track for the fast bits. Splits for first 3 miles were 6:33; 6:29;6:29. Recovery went way too fast as usual!! Splits for next 3 were 6:28;6:32; 6:27. A slow recovery back home brought the total miles to 9. Very happy with this one as no issues with the knee. Done plenty of work on the knee that evening anyway. Total 9 miles

Sun 3rd Jan: 10 mile LSR @ 8:29. A very boring 40 laps of the football pitch track in the cold and ice but it got done. Legs were unsurprisingly heavy and tired. Followed by more physio work on the knee that evening.
    January to date: 25 miles

Mon 4th Jan: 6 mile @ 8:24. Out just before lunch and down to the gaa pitch track again. Plan had me down for a fast mile @ 6:20 pace after the 6 easy but pulled the plug on that as the legs were very tired, sore and heavy from the physio work and miles last week.

Tues 5th Jan: Free

Wed 6th Jan: 7 mile tempo 4@ 6:40 last 3@ 6:35 pace: Got out just before it got dark for this. Footpaths were slippy so took it handy on the way down to the pitch. The track was ok so got stuck in. Splits were 6:40; 6:36;6:34 6:34; 6:33; 6:37; 6:34. Very happy with this – only slight downside was pace slipped over last two miles when I was trying to up it!! Total of 9 mile with warm-up and cool down.

Thurs 7th Jan: Rest. Had to bring my car to Dublin to main dealer for work before the warranty ran out. Ended up hanging around for the day and with restrictions there really wasn’t much to do so ended up walking from the Naas Road to the Phoenix Park (with some diversions around the war memorial gardens on the way) to pass the time. Totalled 14 miles walking while waiting for a call to pick up the car. So by the time I got back home, the legs refused to get out the door. Done some physio exercises for the knee instead.

Fri 8th Jan: 8 mile 7easy last 1 @ 6:10 pace Back to icy football pitch track, picking my step. First 7 miles @ 7:59 avg pace. Last mile was 6:21 – fastest I could get the legs going!

Sat 9th Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:12 avg pace: Left this till the afternoon to allow a bit of a thaw and before it started freezing again. Back down to football pitch track and zoned out. Legs felt tired and heavy. More physio exercises for the legs afterwards

Sun 10th Jan: 11 mile 9 @ 7: 00 last 2 @ 6:45 pace Finally there was a bit of a thaw and I could run without watching every step. Had to use track again and had to mentally prepare myself for 44 laps! Splits were 6:54; 6:55; 6:49; 6:53; 6:45; 6:54; 6:56; 7:00; 7:02; 6:50; 6:45. Really pleased with this one and once I hit the pace I got in the zone and miles flew by. Track was a bit of a mud bath though.

Weekly Total: 42 miles – Jan to date: 67 miles

Monday 11th January: 9 mile 8 easy last 1 @ 6:15 pace: Headed out at lunchtime for this and ran from the house. Last one at 6:20 avg pace.

Tues 12th Jan 7 mile easy: @ 8:26 Headed out for this straight after work and got it done.

Wed 13th Jan: 9 mile tempo 3@ 6:38 last 3 @ 6:32 pace last 3 @ 6:26 pace. Bit of a disaster this one but wasn't unexpected and it was one of those runs that I went into in the wrong frame of mind completely . I was feeling tired heading out for this and I let the session get into my head too much. Shows the power of the mind and I had probably convinced myself I was going to fail it before I started.

Started with 10mins easy and then into the tempo. Splits for 1st 3. 6:35;6:48; 6:45 and was blowing hard. But I never relaxed into the effort or the pace - the head was all over the place. Walked for 4 minutes to recover and went again. Hit 6:49 struggling and just turned it into an easy run for a total of 8 miles. Annoyed with myself for letting the mind win the battle but have to learn from sessions like this and importance of going into them in the right frame of mind.

Thurs 14th Jan: 8 mile easy. Out again straight after work and down to gaa pitch track. Total 8.2 miles @ 8:26 avg pace. Body felt tired and heavy.

Fri 15th Jan: 3 mile @ 6:18 pace / 3min rec / 6 x 800meters in 2:50 with 50 sec rec. I was very close to swerving this as I really didn't feel like I could hit this. Splits for 3 miles were 6:24;6:26; 6:21 and happy enough with that as wasn't going to flog myself about the pace. Splits for 800s 2:52;2:53; 2:56; 2:53;2:56; 2:55. Didn't hit the paces but happy to get the session done and it was a good honest workout - had no more to give! Total: 8.5 miles

Sat 16th Jan: 4 mile easy @ 9:15. I'd done up a programme for the under age teams to do at the local club so took the young lad out to do his and finished out 4 miles very handy while he kicked a ball around.

Sun 17th Jan: 12 mile 7 @ 6:55 last 5 @ 6:50 pace. Another one I was feeling like I would struggle with so decided not to worry too much about the pace. Headed from the house and pace was all over the place for 1.75 miles down to the football pitch and was really struggling. Avg pace 7:11. Walked for 4 minutes while I had a good chat to myself!!! Ground out the remaining 10 miles at a decent clip around the gaa pitch track. Splits 6:42; 6:49; 6:52; 6:56; 6:53; 6:49; 6:51; 6:46; 6:45; 6:40. Very happy to get that done and salvage the run. Very pleased that I learned something from earlier in the week and actually won the battle with the mind today.

Weekly total: 56.7 miles – January to date – 123.7 miles

A tough week but delighted with the work I done on Sunday and need to remember that I can't knock every session out of the park or hit the prescribed pace straight away every day.

Monday 18th Jan: 8 mile @ 8:40 avg pace. Got out at lunchtime for this and kept the pace nice and handy.

Tues 19th Jan:
    With the awful weather I had decided to swop days around and take a rest day here. A very busy day at work and a break in the rain encouraged me to get out the door and get a few mile in. Got 5 mile done around GAA pitch track and while I don’t remember and heavy rain while I was running I still got soaked to the bone. Still happy that I got out. 5 mile @ 8:45 avg pace.

Wed 20th Jan: 8 mile easy @ 8:40 avg pace with 6 x 30 strides. Out straight after work again for this and young lad joined me for the last few miles. Just tipping along.

Thurs 21st Jan: 9 mile @ 8:39 avg pace straight after work again. Lots of laps around the pitch!!

Fri 22nd Jan: 2 x 5 mile @ 6:30 pace with 1/2 mile rec in 4:00 Went out as soon as I finished work for this and wanted to learn from last week. Didn’t worry about pace as I knew this was a monster session and if I focussed on time too much early on, it would make this so much tougher. So after a 10 minute warm-up I set off and just tried to relax into it. Watch beeped at 6:30 for 1st one and felt ok so tried to keep the effort the same. Was listening to Ciara Magean on Second Captains talking about Jerry McKiernan and that took my focus away from how tough the session was. Second Captains has begun to grate on my nerves recently but this was a great interview and Ciara was very brave to talk so soon after hearing the news. 5th mile beeped and nearly took me by surprise. Splits for 1st 5: 6:30;6:31;6:25;6:22; 6:26.

Focussed on getting the breathing right for the recovery which went way too fast but went into the second 5 mile feeling good and again didn’t fixate on the pace too much. Felt strong once I got going again and ground out the last few miles. Splits 6:18; 6:32; 6:33; 6:34; 6:31.

Pace slipped over last few but overall delighted with that session. Cool down took me to 12 miles. A good days work!

Sat 23rd Jan: Plan had me down for 9 mile easy. Was waiting for a bit of a thaw before heading out but it was slow coming. Gave running buddy a call and he fancied a few miles so headed out on a route we hadn’t done in a while close to the house. We lost light and he was happy to leave it at 6 so left it at that too. Was feeling creaky at the start but body loosened out after a few miles. 6 miles @ 8:38.

Sun 24th Jan: 12 mile easy followed by 4 x 30 sec strides

Had no choice but to head down to GAA pitch track for this after overnight snow left the roads treacherous and it was snowing as I headed out so wasn’t feeling the love for this at all. Was out of the normal podcasts so went digging and found an old podcast with an hour long interview with Catherina McKiernan. That helped the laps fly by and zoned out once I figured out which slippy bits to avoid on the track!! Brilliant interview and it was great timing to hear Catherina talking about doing your best on the day and her love for running and not obsessing about times and PBs and the focus on monitoring HR. Her approach to running and training really resonated with me and I must look into getting a proper HRM!. Anyway that got me through 49 laps of the pitch for 12 miles in the snow @ 8:09. Went back out an hour later for another 7 laps with the young lad pacing him on his session.

Weekly total: 60 miles – January to date 183.7 miles
    First time I've hit 60 miles in a week and body is holding up well. The week was focussed on building the miles with just one big session and was delighted with how that went.

Monday January 25th: 7 mile easy @ 8:48 easy pace. Very handy run straight after work at the Gaa pitch.

Tuesday 26th Jan: 4 x 1mile @ 6:00 pace with 1/2 mile recovery in 4:00min Out after work for this and down to Gaa pitch track which was in a real mess after all the melted snow had done it’s worst. It was more like a cross country course than a running track. It made the going tough and had to really keep an eye on where I was putting my feet. Focus was more on effort than speed. Ended up just taking a standing recovery between the 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th just to clear the runners of all the mud. Pace increased after each rep as I got more tuned into where I needed to put my feet!! Glad to get this done and thankfully the runners are near the end of their useful life as they will never be clean again!

Splits: 6:21; 6:10; 6:03; 6:04 – Total 8 mile

Wed 27th Jan: 7 mile easy @ 8:31 – Nice and handy lunchtime run around town with a few laps of the gaa pitch thrown in to see what state it was in!!

Thurs 28th Jan: Rest

Friday 29th Jan: 7 mile tempo 3 @6 :30 last 2 @ 6:25 last 2 @ 6:20 pace
    I wasn’t sure I would manage this as I was struggling all afternoon with a dodgy stomach but decided to get out the door the minute work finished and head down to the track to see how I would get on. Didn’t feel great in the warm-up and resolved not to push too hard if this wasn’t happening. Surprisingly got into a rhythm early on and just went with. Stomach did start protesting over the last 3 miles but knew the pace was good so just ignored it and kept going. Absolutely delighted with this especially when I was feeling so off!

Splits 6:20; 6:20; 6:26; 6:23; 6:19; 6:22; 6:20 – Total 9.5 miles.

Saturday 30th Jan: 9 mile easy @ 8:35. Was still not feeling great but needed the fresh air so headed out tentatively to see how I would get on. Managed the 9 mile without too much of a struggle, helped by listening to my brother's podcast - he has always dabbled in local radio and is on a station in Dublin now and has a sports podcast so dipped into the back catalogue and really enjoyed it - listened to him interviewing Ger Canning and then David Silk who wrote a book about Alex Ferguson's time at Man United.

Sunday 31st Jan:
    Rest. Had a long run in the plan but after pretty much no sleep and feeling fairly crap, I decided to wait until later on to do this. Didn’t feel much better and stomach was annoying me so decided a rest day would be better than flogging myself. Youngest was also complaining of a dodgy tummy so probably just a bug that we both picked up.

Weekly Total: 40.5 miles
    A decent week with good work done on both key sessions - not perfect by any means but I worked hard at them. Missing the long run meant the mileage was lower than previous weeks but it was the right call.

January Total: 224.2 miles Happy with the month's work all things considered. The 5km limit is a pain when I live in rural Ireland and am following the same route (mainly gaa pitch tracks and in the village between the speed limit signs) day after day. There is also a feeling nagging away that while I'm mainly nailing the big tempo sessions, it is a lot easier on the track and it doesn't necessarily transfer to the road. Not a lot I can do about that at the minute though!

New month but focus remains the same - HM in March.

Monday 1st February: 7.25 miles @ 8:18 pace. Nice and handy run at the gaa pitch track by myself.

Tuesday 2nd February 5 x 1 mile @ 5:50 with 80 sec rec. Out the door straight after work for this and the warm-up was a handy jog down to the gaa pitch track. Took me a while to get going on the first mile but expected that as I was sitting at the one spot all day. Soon got going though and was hitting the right pace by the 3rd one. Breaks felt short but overall really enjoyed this and happy with the paces. Track was a bit messy in a few spots too which was worth a few seconds :o

Splits 6:02; 5:52; 5:49; 5:49; 5:51.

Total: 8miles

Wednesday 3rd February: 9 mile easy @ 8:19 pace. Out at lunchtime for this and kept it handy around home. An enjoyable run.

Thursday 4th February Rest – Spent the day in Dublin getting my car fixed so could do nothing but walk around. Ended up walking 17 miles around in circles so decided I’d take a break from the running when I got home.

Friday 5th February: 9 mile easy @ 8:48 Late evening run on very tired legs at the gaa pitch but thankfully zoned out and the miles flew by

Saturday 6th February: 2 mile @ 6:20 pace / 3min rec /5 x 800m in 2:55 with 70 sec rec Missed a few opportunities to get out so this ended up being a late run after a day’s manual labour in the garden. Knew I would struggle to hit the paces so just focussed on an honest workout with pace not the primary concern. Wise call that as knew from lap one that there was no speed in the legs at all. ��

First 2 miles were 6:41 and 6:43 and that’s all that was in the legs. Splits for 800s were 3:05; 3:04;3:03; 3:06; 3:04

Total: 6. 5miles

Sunday 7th February: 13 mile easy – Out the door early for this into a bitter easterly mind. This was a real mental struggle as the wind would cut you in two. Ground it out mile by mile. 13 @ 8:41 avg pace.

Weekly total: 52.75 miles

A reasonably solid if unspectacular week but at this stage in the plan, its about ticking the sessions off and getting the miles in.

Monday 8th Feb: 8 mile with last 1 @ 6:50 pace Out straight after work for this and ran through the village and finished it out at the gaa pitch track. Last mile in 6:49 :)– quite pleased with that as it was too dark to see the watch so the whole mile was completely by feel. 8 @ 8:27 avg pace

Tuesday 9th February: Only window to get out was at lunchtime in the snow. Was meant to do 9 but was stuck for time so left it at 8 mile on a very snowy pitch track. Bitterly cold easterly wind blowing too. 8 mile @ 8:09 avg pace.

Wednesday 10th February: 5 x 1 mile @ 6:15 pace with 1 mile rec in 7:40. Have figured that after work is the best time for me doing these sessions during the week so out the door once I finished work and jogged down to the Gaa pitch track. This was one of those sweet sessions were I knew from the first lap that I would nail it. Hard to beat that feeling!

Splits for this were: 6:12; 7:23; 6:10;7:26; 6:13; 7:36;6:05; 7:52; 6:08

Total: 10.5 miles with warm-up and cool-down.

Thursday 11th February: Rest 5 mile @ 9:04 Meant to be a rest day but got a call from running buddy to see if I fancied a run after work. Grabbed the chance as snow is forecast for Saturday so figured I could move the rest day to then if needs be. Headed to the football pitch and it was bitter cold – the wind would cut you in half. Still enjoyed the easy pace and the chat as we trundled around. No hanging around afterwards – straight into the car and home.

Some serious training going on there J!!

Tuesday session looks sweet!!

Some serious training going on there J!!

Tuesday session looks sweet!!

Thanks - yes happy with the way things are going at the minute and delighted with Tuesday's session. If only I had a race to put it to good use against but a TT will have to do!!

You are moving well yourself - some serious work going on!

Friday 12th Feb: 10 mile tempo 5 @ 6:50 last 5 @6:45

Headed out straight after work was for this one in the bitter cold again with a fair wind in places. A one mile warm-up and straight into the tempo. Felt good and controlled from early on. Checked the watch after the first mile and then just switched off focussing on keeping the effort controlled as the miles ticked by. 6:40;6:43;6:42;6:37;6:37;6:40; 6:36;6:39;6:38;6:34. Finished with a nice and easy jog recovery for 11.5 miles total. Very happy with this one.

Sat 13th Feb: Rest – Was toying with the idea of doing something easy but took the rest day as the weather was awful.

Sun 14th Feb: 14 mile @ 7:22 pace Had to get this done early as had a few things that I needed to do today and wanted to see the rugby. However, it was too dangerous to head out with the wind when I planned to get out so headed for the treadmill instead. Managed 9 mile @ 7:20 pace when I had to stop as was so overheated I was starting to see stars - the radiator was on in the room and it was too windy to open the window. Took a while to recover but got out the door later on to finish out the 5 miles. Didn’t push the pace too much and hit the 5 in 7:40 avg pace when the wind calmed down. Was feeling very creaky and never loosened up. Not perfect but got it done.

Weekly total: 56.5 miles A horrible week weather wise so happy to hit the main sessions and keep the mileage up. I'm keeping on top of the rehab for the knee so all good on that front too. Just hoping spring is on the way soon!!

• Advertisement

Another two weeks training in the bag and very happy with them. Good mileage and key sessions being hit - it's all about consistency these days!!!

Monday 15th Feb: 9 easy @ 8:37 (last @ 6:50) Out straight after work for this and followed the usual route around the village and finished it out at the gaa pitch track.

Tues 16th Feb: 9 mile easy @ 8:35 avg pace. Straight after work again. Kept it nice and handy

Wed 17th Feb: 8 easy@ 8:32 with 6x 30 sec strides: Usual straight after work run – same route as Monday.

Thurs 18th Feb: 5 easy @ 9:03. Got a late evening call from running buddy so joined him for a very handy run around the football pitch. Enjoyed this with the miles flying by.

Fri 19th Feb: 7 mile easy @ 8:41. Had intended on 9 but time ran away from me so could only squeeze in 7. Usual after work route.

Sat 20th Feb: 5 x 1 mile @ 6:15 with 1 mile rec in 7:50. Got out before lunch for this. Started with a 1 mile easy warm-up and then got stuck in. Found it tough to hit the paces for the quick ones and hard to slow down on the easy ones so not the best executed run but a good workout. Properly goosed after it. Splits 6:25; 7:30; 6:17; 7:13; 6:22; 7:43; 6:25; 7:46; 6:16; 7:46 Total: 10miles

Sun 21st Feb: 13 easy @ 8:45 avg pace. Done 6 mile easy on my own before running buddy joined me for the last 6 mile. We went exploring and done a very hilly route but enjoyed the run in a nice bit of sunshine.

Weekly total: 61 miles

Mon 22nd Feb: 9 easy @ 8:52 with last @ 6:49: Usual after work run on usual after work route. Only difference is I can go a wee bit further off the footpaths as the evenings get brighter.

Tues 23rd Feb: 8 mile @ 8:55 Late evening run with running buddy. Nice and handy pace.

Wed 24th Feb: 9 mile @ 8:23 Got delayed this evening so swopped session and just done an easy run on the usual route.

Thurs 25th Feb: Free

Fri 26th Feb: 2 mile @ 6:20 / 3min jog /4 x 1 mile @ 6:15, 6:10,6:05, 6:00 pace with 80 sec rec: Out the door as soon as I finished work and down to the gaa pitch track for this. A 1 mile warm-up and then into the 2 mile. Found it tough from the word go but just about managed 6:20 on the button for both miles. Splits for the 1 miles were: 6:01; 6:04; 6:01; 6:03. Found the miles tough but way overcooked the first two so made it harder on myself than it needed be. A good workout nonetheless – total 8 miles.

Sat 27th Feb: 7 mile easy @ 8:56 avg pace. Got out very late for this with the head torch with running buddy on some quite rural roads. Pace was slow as I had spent the day doing work in the garden so body was creaky.

Sun 28th Feb: 14 mile (1st 7@7:20, 2nd 7 @ 7:10) Knew this would be tough from the get go as the body was still feeling the effects of a hard days manual labour on Saturday. Considered throwing in the towel a few times over the first few miles as was finding it tough and was sweating profusely. The last few were all about digging in and getting it done as the body tired.

Splits: 7:16: 7:07; 7:15; 7:16; 7:20; 7:14; 7:16; 7:09; 7:12; 7:12; 7:07; 7:11; 7:05; 7:07.

Absolutely delighted with this as it was a real mental battle and would have been easy to abandon this and had loads of excuses to do so. But grinding it out for 56 laps and hit the target paces (more or less) was a mental victory.

Total: 14 miles

Weekly total: 55 miles

Monthly total: 225.25 miles

Super workouts, once we get back racing, I think you'll be changing the title of this log.

Great sessions, consistently executed

Agree with A

TbL

March Update:

Didn't realise that I left this so long!! March started out well but then got hit with an achilles injury that I'm laying the blame on a change of runners. Changed to Adrenaline 21s after about 6 years of no issues with Adrenalines and disliked them straight away. After a few weeks the achilles flared up so ditched the runners for a new pair of Adrenaline 20s. Thankfully I had still an exercise sheet from the physio for the achilles from a visit about 5-6 years ago for a similar issue. Allowed me to manage the issue and keep running at the same time.

Mon Mar 1st: 8 mile easy - 8 mile @ 8:22. Headed out at lunchtime and kept it nice and handy.

Tues March 2nd: 2 mile @ 6:10 pace / 3 min rec /12 x 35 sec hill reps / 2min rec /2 mile @ 6.10pace. Headed out at first light for this as the hill I use is usually busy with walkers apart from first thing. Started with a nice and handy jog down to the pitch track and into the 2 miles. Struggled to wake-up and hit the right pace but didn't overly push the pace. Hit the first two is 6:21; 6:20. Then into the hills and hit the same spot each time so kept the effort and pace consistent. Back down to pitch for 2nd two miles. Hit 6:09 for the first one but achilles started to bother me during this and was getting progressively worse so pulled the plug after the 1st mile and slowly walked home. Iced it up and done some stretches physio gave me years ago and that helped. Total 7.2 miles

Wed Mar 3rd: Free

Thurs Mar 4th: 8.2 miles @ 8:37 avg pace with 4 x 30 sec. Late evening run at the football pitch at a nice and handy pace.

Fri Mar 5th: 8 mile easy @ 8:41. Another late evening run and again kept it handy and thankfully no achilles issues.

Sat Mar 6th: 5 x 1 mile 6:15, 6:10, 6:05, 6:00, 5:55 with 75 sec rec. Went out before lunch for this and again back to GAA pitch track and got stuck in after a 10 minute warm-up. Splits for the miles were: 6:14;6:07;6:02;5:58; 5:52. Total 7.5 miles. Very happy with this

Sun Mar 7th: 12 mile easy @ 8:23avg pace. Out the door early and done 5 miles on my own before joining running buddy for 5 miles and then finished the last 2 miles home on my own. Felt good and upped the pace over the last two miles on the hills.

Weekly total: 50.9 miles

Mon Mar 8th: 8 mile @ 8:19 Nice and easy lunchtime run from the house

Tues Mar 9th: 8 mile easy @ 8:15 Another easy late evening run but Achilles was grumbling late on.

Wed Mar 10th: Rest

Thurs Mar 11th: 8 mile easy @ 8:51 avg pace. Out straight after work for this and took it handy. Achilles ok after a lot of icing.

Friday Mar 12th: 2.5 mile with 1 @ 6:37 pace. Plan had me down for 4 x 1mile but knew after first quick mile that it wasn’t going to happen. Achilles was fine initially but was very sore once I injected pace and got progressively worse – was afraid of doing damage so pulled the plug on this.

Sat Mar 13th: Rest

Sun Mar 14th: Rest – ordered new runners!!

Weekly total: 26.5 miles

Mon Mar 15th: 10 mile easy @ 8:27 avg pace. 6am run around the football pitch track. Achilles felt ok. First run in the new Adrenaline 20s

Tues Mar 16th: 8 mile easy @ 8:37 avg pace. Another 6 am run around the same gaa pitch track. Achilles slightly niggly near end.

Wed Mar 17th: Rest

Thurs Mar 18th: 8 mile easy @ 8:34 avg pace. Late afternoon run from the house. Plenty of hills but minded the achilles.

Fri Mar 19th: 7 mile easy @ 8:30 avg pace. Another easy run straight after work.

Sat Mar 20th: 6.25 mile easy @ 8:14 avg pace. Easy run with running buddy- enjoyed this as I explored our 5km limits on the other side of the parish.

Sun Mar 21st: 11 mile easy @ 8:15 avg pace. Started out on my own. Had company for the middle bit and finished the run back home on my own. Achilles was sore after this. Quite a hilly route too.

Weekly total: 50.25 miles

Mon Mar 22nd: Rest

Tues Mar 23rd: 6 mile easy @ 8:39 avg pace. Late evening run at the football pitch track. Kept it very handy

Wed Mar 24th: 7 mile easy @ 8:36 avg pace. 6 am run with company at the football pitch track.

Thurs Mar 25th: 7 mile easy @ 8:22 avg pace. Another easy 6 am run with company.

Fri Mar 26th: Rest
    Sat Mar 27th: 6 mile easy @ 8:46 avg pace. Late evening around football pitch track

Sun Mar 28th: 11.5 mile easy @ 8:16 avg pace. Had company for this and went exploring again. Achilles starting to niggle on last few hills.

Weekly total: 37.5 miles

Mon Mar 29th: 6 mile easy @ 8:36 avg pace. Out late for this and ran from the house.

Tues Mar 30th: 7 mile easy @ 8:30 avg pace. 6 am run with company on gaa pitch track.

Wed Mar 31st: 7 mile @ 7:29 avg pace with 5 at half marathon effort. Finally felt confident enough to test the achilles with speed as the recovery was going well. No fixed plan in mind but again kept to the easier track surface and decided to test the fitness and achilles with half marathon effort. Didn’t look at the watch until after so happy to see the split for the quick bits. Achilles held up really well and could have continued at that pace for another bit so all very positive!!

Splits: 6:45; 6:51; 6:47;6:44; 6:41

Monthly Total: 185.15 miles

So a positive end to the month and while quality work was missing for a few weeks, I'm figuring it was no harm to have a few easy weeks to allow the body to recover from a few months hard training and thankfully the achilles is under control now.

Thurs 1st April: 6 mile easy @ 8:32 avg pace. Nice and handy run from the house. Kept the effort handy and no issues with the achilles.

Friday 2nd April: Rest

Sat 3rd April: 6.5 miles easy @ 8:28 avg pace. Early morning run with running buddy on a very hilly route – enjoyed this as the sun was starting to come out and burn off the mist.

Sun 4th April: 11 mile easy @ 8:11. Out again with running buddy exploring the local area. Pace picked up gradually the further we went and enjoyed exploring new routes. Achilles felt a bit tender at the end but nothing too serious.

Weekly total: 43.5 miles

Mon 5th April: 7 mile easy @ 8:25 easy. Late afternoon handy run.

Tues 6th April: 8 mile easy @ 8:53 avg pace. A late evening run with running buddy on our very hilly route. Enjoyed this.

Wed 7th April: 9 mile progression run (of sorts!): I was in a few minds about what to do here so eventually headed out straight after a long days work and decided I wanted to work hard and blow off a bit of steam but not flog myself. Eventually decided to cover the watch and gradually pick up pace and go by feel. Eased into this and headed into the hills at the start and when I landed at the football pitch 5 mile in I knew I was moving well so upped the pace again. Decided to call it quits when the watch beeped for 8 mile and just slowly jogged home. Splits. 7:34; 7:20;7:22; 7:34 (very big hill!!); 7:08; 6:41; 6:49; 6:38; 8:57. Delighted with this and shows the value of easing into a run!!

Thurs 8th April: Rest

Fri 9th April: 7 mile easy @ 8:33 avg pace. 6 am easy run at local football pitch track with running buddy.

Sat 10th April 4 x 1 mile @ 6:20 pace with 1 mile recovery in 7:30 between each fast mile. Was a bit wary of this when I seen it on the plan and only got to it late in the afternoon after spending the day in the garden doing manual labour. Had a 20 minute powernap before I headed out which wasn’t the best idea as I felt groggy and off for the whole session. It didn’t really affect the session just felt a bit spaced out!. It flew by all the same until a hail shower started on the last fast mile and was delighted to get home and out of the hail. Splits for fast miles were 6:09; 6:06; 6:13; 6:15

Total 8 miles.

Sun 11th April 12 mile easy @ 8:23 avg pace. Out with running buddy for the first 10 mile and then finished it out on my own. Really enjoyed this as miles clipped by and body felt good. Slight reaction from the achilles on the last mile but nothing major.

Weekly total: 51 miles

Mon 12th April Rest

Tues 13th April 7 mile tempo @ 6:45 pace. This was a big one for me. I was worried that doing tempos at the track since Christmas was making me soft and I would struggle one I hit the roads again. So was determined to get this one right. Headed out straight after work around Cavan Town. Started with a 1 mile warm-up and then cruised into the tempo run with a promise to ease into it and go easy on myself. Miles flew by and never really struggled with this and finished nice and strong. Delighted and finished the 7 at 6:41 avg pace. Splits – 6:43; 6:51; 6:43; 6:32; 6:46; 6:33; 6:37. Finished with an easy cool down mile.

Absolutely delighted with this - a huge confidence booster.

Total: 9 miles

Wed 14th April: 7 miles easy @ 8:48 Legs were tired after yesterday’s tempo run and was out with running buddy at 6am for this. Done it at the pitch track and kept the pace really handy. Had planned on 8 mile but left it at 7.

Thurs 15th April: 4 mile @ 6:30 / 3min jog / 3x 1 mile @ 6:20, 6:15, 6:10 pace with 70 sec rec
    Second big session of the week. Again got out straight after work and started with a handy jog down to the football pitch track. Again settled in nice and easy and this flew by. A good honest workout and again very happy with this.

Splits – 4 miles: 6:16; 6:19; 6:27; 6:26
    1 mile splits: 6:15; 6:10; 6:11

Total: 8.5 miles

Fri 16th April 8 mile easy @ 8:35 avg pace Another 6am start for this with running buddy. He left after 10km and I finished the rest by myself. Legs were understandably tired after this.

Sat 17th April: 15 x 35 sec hill reps with 2 mile warm up and cool down
    After a chat with coach and with minding the achilles in mind, instead of hills done these on the flat at the track at one mile pace.

Started with a two mile warm-up and then got stuck in. Enjoyed this session as it flew by. A good blow-out. Finished with a creaky slow jog back home.

Total 6.5 miles

Sunday 18th April: 12 mile 10 @ 7:20 last 2 @ 7:10 pace.

Early start for this and tried to ease into the run. Somehow managed to miss most of the mile beeps on the garmin so wasn't clued into the pace I was running so went with it. First 10 miles flew by even if I was feeling a bit tired but hit a long hill on the 11th miles and pretty much ran out of juice so eased off a bit on it. Finished strong so happy with that. Splits 7:14; 7:10;7:22; 7:11; 7:08;7:10; 7:09; 7:13; 7:12; 7:10; 7:11; 7:56 (ran out of gas on big hill); 7:13.

I made this harder on myself than I should have but overall am happy with the run especially after a tough week.

Have also signed up for the Antrim Coast Half at the end of August so nice to have a race on the horizon.

Weekly Total: 51 miles

Sunday 18th April: 12 mile 10 @ 7:20 last 2 @ 7:10 pace.

Early start for this and tried to ease into the run. Somehow managed to miss most of the mile beeps on the garmin so wasn't clued into the pace I was running so went with it. First 10 miles flew by even if I was feeling a bit tired but hit a long hill on the 11th miles and pretty much ran out of juice so eased off a bit on it. Finished strong so happy with that. Splits 7:14; 7:10;7:22; 7:11; 7:08;7:10; 7:09; 7:13; 7:12; 7:10; 7:11; 7:56 (ran out of gas on big hill); 7:13.

I made this harder on myself than I should have but overall am happy with the run especially after a tough week.

Have also signed up for the Antrim Coast Half at the end of August so nice to have a race on the horizon.

Weekly Total: 51 miles

I’ll see you there, at the start line anyway :)

TbL

Monday 19th April: Rest

Tuesday 20th April: 7 miles @ 8:09 avg pace. Nice and handy run at lunchtime up to the local gaa pitch track. Body felt creaky at the start but eventually freed up.

Wednesday 20th April. 12 mile with 2x5 mile @ 6:45 with 1 mile rec in between

Emboldened by last weeks straight after work tempo run, went with the same strategy and the same lumpy route again. Surprised at how warm it was and thankfully had a hat on me against the glare of the sun. Started with a one mile easy warm-up and then into the first set of 5 miles. Again eased into it and just checked the watch a few times over the first half mile to make sure I wasn't overcooking it and then eased into it. Was cruising along and felt good. (6:31; 6:39; 6:41;6:32; 6:40)

The recovery mile got the heart rate down and was ready to go again once the mile beeped. Felt good again and was never in any discomfort. I did manage to miscalculate where I was finishing the last mile and ended up running most of the final mile uphill and legs were goosed at that stage and pace naturally slipped a wee bit. Still very happy with this and shows that the training is going well. Great to nail these sessions for the confidence (6:36;6:43;6:46;6:45;6:57)

A quick cool down jog back to car and I was done. 30 minutes later I was out on the football pitch with the young lad - no problem sleeping last night :pac:

Total: 12.5 miles.

Thurs 22nd April: 6 mile easy followed by 4 x 30 sec strides with 20 sec rec
    Another lunchtime run for this at a nice handy pace on tired legs. 6 miles @ 8:33. Strides weren’t as tortuous as I expected!!

Fri 23rd April: 7 mile easy @ 8:48 avg pace. A nice and handy 6 am shuffle with running buddy solving the world’s problems!!

Sat 24th April: 18 x 35 sec hill reps with 3 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down: Decided against the hills to mind the achilles so used the pitch track and had a good honest blow out. Session flew by and happy with the consistency and effort. Total 6.5 miles.

Sun 25th April: 11 mile easy: 11 mile @ 8:10 avg pace. Headed out with one of the lads from the club on a nice flat route he had picked out for a half marathon time trial on quite country roads. Headed out early and sun was beating down on us. Really enjoyed this run in unfamiliar territory and miles flew by.

Weekly total: 50 miles

• Advertisement

Mon 26th April: 5 x 1 mile in 6:08 with 90 sec recovery. The plan was to get out straight after work and get done before dinner. However was still on calls at 6 o clock so under massive pressure for time. Not best prep but threw on the gear and got down to the pitch track and got stuck in after a short warm-up. Got into the zone on the second after struggling with the first and just went with it. Brain was still problem solving work stuff and zoned out a few times. Not the most evenly paced run ever but would have been easy to can the session so pleased that it got done.

Splits: 6:14; 6:01; 6:00; 6:04; 6:06

Total: 6.9 miles

Tues 27th April. 7 miles @ 8:43 pace. 6am start with running buddy. Got a few laps in before he landed to do 10k and left it at 7 miles when he finished as body and mind were very tired.

Wed 28th April: 2 mile easy then 4 mile @ 6:50, 6:40, 6:35, 6:35 pace. In a continuing theme this week and a chaotic day at work, my last chance to get this done was when kids were at Athletic training – less than 20 minutes after I finished the dinner. Was under stress at work so was not going to put myself under pressure too much pace wise. Missed the split for mile one but when I seen 6:58 for mile 2, I just tried to maintain that effort and forgot about the watch. Dinner started to try make a reappearance over last 2 miles so eased up on the pace. Splits 7:39; 6:58; 6:51; 6:42; 6:56; 7:11

Thurs 29th April: 6.1 miles @ 8:48 - 6am run with running buddy. Made up the mile from earlier in the week!

Fri 30th April: Free

Monthly Total: 201.5 miles

Advertisement