Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Woddle,
    If the July file above is your training plan, I think it can be tough enough to do a tempo run Wed followed by a speed session Tuesday, especially if you are new enough to running and in particular these types of sessions. I do a hard speed session Tuesday and Thursday's tempo session can be difficult, e.g. tonight I just had to rest and will try it tomorrow instead, as I'm still not recovered enough from Tuesday. So, see how it goes, but if you find you are getting very tired, maybe put and easy day between your hard days.
    What kind of pace/distance are you doing for your tempo runs and speed sessions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Cheers racing flat, any advice is much appreciated, tempo run would be 9 min miles with 3 miles in the middle at 8 min pace and increase the distance each week, and the speed session would be 2 mile warm up follwed by 10 x 300m, with 300 m recovery between each one and finish it off with a 2 mile cool down, I've kind of taken bits and pieces from a few marathon training plans, irish runner and Longford,
    I'm going to give my football a miss during this period as that does zap me of energy, as its played so late on a Tuesday night,
    I'll give it a go next week and see how I go from there, I've built the milage up to the 40s now and stepped it back the week before last, so hopefully I can give it a burst, I'm putting in all the stretches and I'm addicted to my foam roller.

Woddle wrote: »
    Cheers racing flat, any advice is much appreciated, tempo run would be 9 min miles with 3 miles in the middle at 8 min pace and increase the distance each week, and the speed session would be 2 mile warm up follwed by 10 x 300m, with 300 m recovery between each one and finish it off with a 2 mile cool down, I've kind of taken bits and pieces from a few marathon training plans, irish runner and Longford,
    I'm going to give my football a miss during this period as that does zap me of energy, as its played so late on a Tuesday night,
    I'll give it a go next week and see how I go from there, I've built the milage up to the 40s now and stepped it back the week before last, so hopefully I can give it a burst, I'm putting in all the stretches and I'm addicted to my foam roller.

As the tempo run doesn't seem overly intense you might get away with doing this Wednesday and speed session Thursday. By that I mean your 2 mile race pace is 6.37/mile. Based on this, you should be able to run for 1 hour at about 7.20 pace. While there are nmany definitions of 'tempo run', as I understand it, the tempo run is used to improve your lactate threshold. i.e. when you are running, your body produces lactic acid, but it can utilise this. However, above a certain threshold pace, the body accumulates lactic acid faster than it can utilise it, so it builds up, increasing the acidity in the body so that performance is hampered, ie you slow down. This threshold pace is typically the max pace that you can maintain for an hour. So training slightly slower than this pace will mean that your body will get used to running at this pace and subsequently get more used to dealing with the lactic acid etc, so that ultimately you can run faster before this threshold or turnpoint. So for you around 7.30pace might be fine for 20minutes. This would be a comfortably hard session, it would be like a race where you weren't giving it your all, you'd be wishing for it to be over, but knowing that if you wanted to you could speed up. But to do this the night before a speed session would be difficult. You going at 8.00min mile pace is probably closer to a marathon pace run, still good training. Are you training for a marathon? If so, your idea of increasing the distance of your tempo run each week is good. If your focus is the 5 mile, maybe increasing the pace of the tempo run and limiting to 20mins or so would be better?

I would imagine your 300s are at about 65-70secs each? Good session. With the miles up in the 40s now also, you shoudl see good improvements over the next few weeks/months. Thought of joining a club? Generally brings people on a great deal.

Great info and much appreciated, my goal is a 3:45 at the Longford marathon in August, so I wanted to have a good burst in July before I have to start tapering in August, I have yet to do 300s, I was doing 8x0.25 miles in 1:30 - 1:40, and I'm always aware that I don't push myself hard enough, so July is all about making me mentally stronger aswell as running better.

Great info and much appreciated, my goal is a 3:45 at the Longford marathon in August, so I wanted to have a good burst in July before I have to start tapering in August, I have yet to do 300s, I was doing 8x0.25 miles in 1:30 - 1:40, and I'm always aware that I don't push myself hard enough, so July is all about making me mentally stronger aswell as running better.

Your 2 mile race time predicts you about a 3.30 marathon (although I find the mcmillan site a bit ambitious for marathon times, for me anyway), so 3.45 is definitely a realistic target I think. This is 8.30pace roughly. I think you'd be better off doing longer tempo runs at marathon pace, or shorter ones at 'threshold pace'. Maybe your 8min mile tempo pace has you in no mans land/junk miles territory as Jack Daniels calls it?

8 400s in 90-100 is a good bit faster than your 2 mile race pace, so that seems an appropriate pace, so I wouldn't say based on that session you don't push yourself hard enough. If the marathon is the ultimate goal, I'd be doing longer intervals a little slower. Maybe 6 800s in 3.30 with at least 2 mins recovery between each and gradually build up to 8 or maybe even 10? Or do 6-10 of 3min hard 3 min easy, quite a nice session, seems easy at the start, not so at the end.

• Advertisement

agreed, I'll give the 6x800 ago today, see how I get on, as your making alot of sense, thanks

Dying to go home now myself and do my tempo run having missed it last night as I was jut too tired. One of the benefits of taking a day off every week is that if you miss a session you can fit it in on the day off...

Cheers for this session racing flat
    6x800m with 400m recovery except for one, I needed 800m
    3:14
    3:26
    3:48, 800 m recovery
    3:48
    4:09 up a hill
    3:30 down the hill.
    Total 6.63 miles 10.67K in 55 mins 8:17 pace.
    overall found it tough, I'll start with 300 and finish with 800 at the end of July.
    Enjoy your own session

8 tough miles this morning, didn't enjoy it and bottom of my left foot on the side is a little sore.
    1 hour 11, 8:57 pace, I was aiming for 8:30 pace as this will hopefully be my marathon pace.
    On a plus side I now weigh 159 lbs or 11 stone 5, and can fit in to my fav trousers, last time I could do that was 2002, the only thing is my wife hates those trousers.
    Hopefully long run tomorrow, but I will check my foot out later,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭getfit

Really enjoying your log - find it great to inspire me to keep going. Am trying to get myself back into shape too. The running is going pretty well. I'm knocking out 25-35 miles a week depending on whether I'm playing a GAA match or going to GAA training (not great for my training, but enjoy the fun)... My easy/steady runs are at about 8.30/8.45 pace (Av HR of 141-145), which is okay, but I'm not able to shake the love handles and extra fat. I'm 5'11 and weigh 13 stone 3lbs. Would love to get under 12 stone, and I feel it would help my times in a big way - but it's hard work...

Anyway, the reason I posted is that I see you seemed to find your last 8 miler very tough. Could this be beacuse it was after the 6x800s?? It's been a long time since I did 6x800, pretty much 9-10 years ago when I was running 2.02 for 800m and 4.30 for the mile. That session was one that always left me drained and streesed the body far more than a 10x200 or a 5/6 mile tempo session would. It's a great session for improving your fitness though - but you'd need a good rest after it!

Would you agree????

• Advertisement

I concur, they took alot out of me, going to do 200s this Thursday.
    Sat night I got all my running gear out drink, gel walkman, bag, watch, took a couple of ibrufon and went to bed, really wanted to do my long run, little one woke at 4am and as I put her back I knew there was no way I'd be running Sunday, my foot was killing me, hence rest day today also and it feels about 95%, so My new program starts a day late, but back in to it tomorrow, bit of cycling today and weights on Sunday.

7.7 miles 11.58K in 59:09 8:13 pace, pushed it a littl e harder than I normally would as a result of missing 2 days, heart rate 160 73%.
    Foot was and is still sore, I put my ancle strap on and wore 2 of my thickest pairs of sock, seemed to do the trick.
    I took what racing flat said on board regarding the tempo and speed to close together, so Wednesday will be the new rest day with tempo on Tuesday and speed on Thursday, won't be taking this Wednesday off though.

10 miles tempo run 16K 1 hour 27 mins 8:43 pace.
    miles 6,7,8 run at 8 min pace.
    Very tired now, speed session tomorrow.

Very tired now, speed session tomorrow.

Be careful buddy. If you are very tired tomorrow, might be as well to knock the speed session on the head, do it the next day? I've learnt too many times the hard way. Tired but plough on with a planned session only to wake up run down/sore throat/cold the next day and end up missing 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Yes Woddle consider Racing Flat's advise.
    Listen to your body.
    If you postpone the speed session and perhaps do an easy 3 or 4 mile instead.

Who am I to argue with racing flat and abhainn, so 5 miles 8K easyish in 44 mins 8:48 pace.
    I feel like such a cheater, I went to amphibian king today rather than my usual sportsworld, I really wanted to check out the gait analysis stuff,the staff were very helpful and I tried on a total of 6 pairs before settling on the brooks adranaline gts8, they seem good, I just felt the kayano 14 just where not right, and after 370 plus miles in them it's time to get a new pair and ready for Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good man Woddle wise decision today, though I am no expect. I try and learn from my mistakes
    Was in amphibian king meself this evening, around 6 ish. There was someone getting the gait analysis done when I was leaving, it wasn't you?

No it wasn't me. I was there at lunch time with 3 wild kids.
    Glad I took it easy yesterday because I gave todays session my all. Decided on pyramids.
    Warm up 1.8K 9:41
    400m 1:28 rest 51 seconds
    800m 3:19 rest 1:50
    1200m 4:47 rest 2:30
    1600m 7:11 rest 4:00
    1200m 4:58 rest 2:00
    800m 3:21 rest 1:49
    400m 1:34 rest 59 seconds
    cool down1.11 K 6:00
    total 5.77 miles 9.28K, pace 7:20, heart rate aver 171
    Found it tough but def my best session to date, the only one that I ran slower was the 1600 I was suppose to do it in 6:48 but all the others I was ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

looks like a great session - i must give it a go!

also, didn't even know of this Fitness logs section! Looks like I've been posting in the wrong place as usual..! I'm one of those that asks for health advice in the tech forum

Great session! Don't worry about the mile time - that will gradually come down. Where did you get it? Or just make it up yourself? www.runningforfitness.org gives 15 different types of speed session based on your times, I think on one of the pace your race pages.

• Advertisement

Thats exactly where I got it, I put in 29 year old and 35 mins for 5 miles, I think I got it from reading one of your posts, so cheers. The pyramid just stood out as a good session.

Took yesterday off as I was a bit tired and I wanted to have a good long run as next weekend is a race so it will be slightly compromised.
    I was hoping to run today between 9 and 9:30 min/miles but I was slowed down a bit by a friend for the first 13 miles when he then finished up, he had to stop tie his lace numerous times,, when up the mountain he had to have a number 2, that was the porridge he ate half an hour before the run, and he complained about his knee the whole time,I never stopped for him just slowed down as I don't like stopping it makes it hard for me to start up again. I really do prefer my Sunday run on my own and he knows that, it was a once off and it was a nice change I suppose.
    20.50 miles 33K in 3 hours 19 pace 9:45

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi woddle nice going on the 20+ mile's this morning do you plan on many 20+ runs before the taper for longford

I have another 2x 20 plus planned, I really wanted to do 22 miles this morning, just sth about that number but I could feel my baby toe getting sore this morning so I cut it short, turned out to be a huge water blister,
    I would love to do a 1/2 marathon at the end of July, give me a better idea of pace, out of curiousity would you know at what % of your heart rate you have been running marathons. Today I ran at an average of 68% but I'm unsure of how much more I should push myself, I know I have more in the tank, but would love to know how much without blowing up.

i have'nt a clue woddle i have never wore a heart monitor or even checked my heart rate resting or running, i really dont get to involved in the science of running ,
    the national half marathon is on in waterford this year on the 7th of september , but just thinking that will be just after longford so prob wont suit you

I've just had a look at a few race calendars, can't find any 1/2 marathon dates that suit, but I still have the adidas 10 mile in the middle of August

there is a 10 mile race in tipp on the 27th of july that im prob going to do it would give you a better indication for marathon pace

I was going to take the day off but I treated myself and kids to pizza hut, felt I deserved it after yesterday, but when I got home started feeling guilty so 3.1 miles 5K in 27:30, pace 8:52.
    Tomorrow tempo run,
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 4 or 5 miles with a few bursts of 200m
    Friday rest
    Sat race
    Sun 10 miles, I hope
    And then back into my new program for the following 2 weeks

Ok so plan for this week has already changed from structure to see how I feel.
    Went football last night instead of a run and today 5 miles 8K in 38:31, pace 7:42.
    Happy with the run decided that after each mile, I would give it a burst for 1/4 of a mile. I felt I had another bit left in the tank but 3:30 worth I dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

you're going well Woddle,
    that's a great speed session - going to give that a try I think

Advertisement