Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Indoor football last night, it went well, I took it easy enough.
    Today 8.1 miles in 1 hour 15 mins, I was very stiff from the weights last night in particular my hamstrings, but good run heart rate is getting lower during the runs so thats good news aswell.

Speed session, my first time running fast since the race 18/5.
    1/2 mile warm up followed by 6x 1/4 mile fast with 1/4 mile recovery and then the final 1.75 miles as a cool down,
    total 5 miles, the fastest 1/4 mile I did was 1.31

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

good log Woddle, great consistency, keep it up.

I also started back running in the last 12 months after a long break.

Not up to tackling a Marathon any time soon though, afraid of the effects on my joints (the ankle & knee ones). I am happy to get a few good 5Ks or 10Ks.

I will keep an eye on what you are doing for inspiration.

Thanks dna leri and all the best with your own training.
    Tonight I was a bit weary of doing weights as I didn't want to mess my running up for the weekend with stiffness, however I still did it but with less reps
    Deadlift 30k 8,8,8
    Squats 20K 8,8,8
    upright row 20k 6,6,6
    Barbell curl 20k 6,6,6
    Shoulder press 20k 5,5,5
    and another exercise for tricep

going to try and add situps and planks also, not a bad start,I'll see how I get on for a couple of weeks anyway.
    7 miles planned for tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Great to see you've started on weights Woddle - give it another week or two and you'll never look back! Building muscle will strengthen those bones as well, all good news for your running.

Have you lost much of the gut through running? You're putting in fairly serious mileage looking at this log.

• Advertisement

2558238212_5129793b15.jpg
    2557420531_a6c4078a3f.jpg
    Thanks celestial, the 2nd pic was from April this year, as you can see there is quite a big gut, however 2 months on and there has been an improvement, I'll post the latest pic tomorrow, the first pic is where I'm trying to get to, that was 2002 the addidas 5 mile in 33:3?

Today 7 miles in 62:30, good run until I hit a car at mile 6.I was in St Endas park running across the empty car park when a car came in and could have parked anywhere, he decided to try and park on my trajectory, I let a roar, he slammed on the breaks and I hit the back of his car, in anger I put an open hand and slammed it on his boot, for this if your reading I am sorry and for the bad language but you had a whole car park to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Way to go woddle :) Always good to see a fellow strength-training runner (though I'm not much of a runner these days, especially compared to the milage you're putting in!) I just keep the weight challenging, and round the 8-10 rep range, that way i seem to get 'pleasant' (this may not be the right word! :p) DOMS rather than absolute agony for a few days. It means you can still go running the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Hey woddle my man how is it going??

Weights are great for burning off the fat, but if your looking to loose weight then its diet aswell, all the training in the world will make a difference but the diet is critical,

How is yours?? Also fair play to you for the running, hate it myself :D:D

Are you in a gym?? I found a big difference when I put in a diet change and weights, so go for it and it will fall off you guaranteed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Keep it up my man and you won't be long getting back to where you were in 02! As you know I'm probably in the same boat myself.

As regarding the car I've had to do something similiar more times than I can remember. :mad:

Going to sign up for Dublin in the next few days will you be joining me?????

Cheers lads, enjoyed the two weights sessions so far, and the diet aint bad, a bit like sungod, good for 4 days and then bad for 3, I have such a sweet tooth its not even funny, I even rob the girls sweets when there not looking:p.
    And as for Dublin, absolutely, already signed up, but Longford first.
    14 miles today 2 hours and 19 mins, I consumed a gel at mile 9, not bad but did feel funny in my mouth though.
    40.4 miles run this week, which is a first, so I'll step back to about 30 next week and concentrate on running faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

hi woddle , congrats on a 40 mile week. i tried using gels on one of my long runs just to see if my stomach could handle them, now i only use them during marathons every one id different i just didnt want to get to rely on them on long runs and maybe not feel the benefit on race day. maybe that sounds stupid but it works for me.
    i take it your doing the full in longford ?
    if so that gives you 8 weeks to dublin ,i did the exact same after connemara i had 2 months to cork and some thought i was cracked doing another marathon so soon but i enjoyed cork even more and felt stronger during the second marathon.
    so once your sensible, take a short break after longford and ease back into it you'll have a blast.

now if i could only take my own advice:D

p.s on your sweet tooth i live 30 seconds away from my local shop so nipping over for a yorkie to have with my cuppa is just too easy so im torn between moving house or bulldozing the shop

well Sungod it was reading your log, that let me think I could do both.
    Took Monday off, so as to let the body get ready for a few days of speed.
    Today 4 miles in 31:52 but I thought what the hell, lets see how fast you can run a mile, 6:29, but I should not have done this on mile 1.
    Tomorrow will be a tempo run and Thursday 1/4 mile intervals and rest on Friday.
    Indoor football and weights later

did weights before I went football last night, really enjoyed them.
    5 miles today - tempo session - 39:44
    1st mile and last mile slow and 2,3,4 at 7:40 pace.
    Intervals tomorrow and rest on Friday

My wife went out after work today, so I said I would use this as a rest day from running, so I did my weights, introducing an extra set(4) and an extra exercise barbell row.
    Funny enough after weights I wanted to run so I jumped on the treadmill 5k 26mins, then the rower for 300 strides which I completed 2 and a half mins faster than the last time, about 6 weeks ago.
    And then I topped it off with a session of tabata on the bike. feel great after it.
    My weight has been steady for the last 2 weeks which is annoying me, so really need to concentrate more on diet, heres a couple of pics and I'll probably throw up new ones every 3,4 weeks, might give me a better idea of where I'm at
    .2574033276_33750df139.jpg
    2573211479_a304ebbc11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Keep it up Woddle, weights and diet will make a big difference especially with all the running

My wife wants me to take the fat picture down at the great run, she thinks I look special and she's afraid her friends will see,sad.I told her 'NO' its there to remind me of how bad things got and how far I've come, yeah.
    7.36 miles/11.84 km in 1 hour 4 mins which was 8:48 pace.
    Starting today Im taking gems 8 week challenge, here are my measurements as of this morning
    Neck 12.75
    Chest 37
    Bicep 11
    wrist 5.5
    Waist 34.5
    Hips 34
    Top of legs 23
    Knee 14.75
    calf 13
    Body weight 11 st 9 / 163 lbs /74.09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Kudos woddle - the pics look great. An inspiration :) Good luck with the 8 week challenge, I'm not sure i'd have the discipline so fair play to you. i tend to be really good for a few weeks and then I'll spot a box of lindt lindor somewhere and cave in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭celestial

Woddle wrote: »
    My wife went out after work today, so I said I would use this as a rest day from running, so I did my weights, introducing an extra set(4) and an extra exercise barbell row.
    Funny enough after weights I wanted to run so I jumped on the treadmill 5k 26mins, then the rower for 300 strides which I completed 2 and a half mins faster than the last time, about 6 weeks ago.
    And then I topped it off with a session of tabata on the bike. feel great after it.
    My weight has been steady for the last 2 weeks which is annoying me, so really need to concentrate more on diet, heres a couple of pics and I'll probably throw up new ones every 3,4 weeks, might give me a better idea of where I'm at
    .2574033276_33750df139.jpg
    2573211479_a304ebbc11.jpg

Wow well done, you've lost a load of flab since the last photo!!

Always keep in mind that your *weight* may not go down very much from here on in as you've started lifting weights - don't mind the scales - watch how your clothes fit and your photo progress.

Cheers for the supportive comments guys.
    After writing yesterdays log my left shin (this time) started to niggle at me, I got on the treatment asap ice,rest and ibrufon, woke up today with no niggle:D. I decided to give my long run a miss, I'll do it tomorrow instead, but I did do 10 mins rower 4 sets of my weights routine with more reps and I upped the deadlift to 35k. I finished with a 5k on the treadmill in 25 mins, I also started on my protein shake today, strawberry flavour tastes alright and no sweets or snacks today or yesterday so 8 week challenge is off to a good start.

Was not in the humour for tonights run, as my wife started in a gym today and texted me at 7 to see if she could go for coffee after with her friend, I can't see myself getting use to that, like come on work out, come home and let me workout, but I have to be supportive cause this is her first effort at any exercise, maybe I can talk her in to starting a log, am I bad.
    10 miles in 90 minutes.

• Advertisement

4 sets of each.
    Deadlift 40k reps 8
    Squats 22.5K reps 8
    upright row 22.5k reps 5
    Barbell curl 22.5k reps 5
    Shoulder press 22.5k reps 5
    Barbell row 22.5k reps 8
    Indoor football in an hour, and still no sweets in 4 days.

The rain put me off doing a long run and encouraged me to try and run quickly so 5 miles (8k) in 41:41 8:20 pace but my heart rate was extremely high, I know I've said it over and over but the indoor football on a Tuesday night is doing me no favours, as it doesn't finish till 22:30 and drains me of energy on a Wednesday.
    Weight 161 lbs 11 more and Ill be happy:D
    367 miles ran since Feb 20, so not long before a new pair of runners

So was not in the humour, the rain was putting me off, I was just standing in the bedroom looking out the window, I was already dressed and stretched, thinking how bad would I be to just not go and how would I feel later watching the match tonight, so I went 4 miles 6.44k in 33:09 8:17 pace, not a great run at all felt awful but at least I did something, hopefully the rain will go away for tomorrow allowing me to do a 8 - 10 mile. No weights tonight, going to them in the morning and no more barbell row, don't think I'm doing it right.

thats more like it weatherwise. went running with 2 friends today which was a welcome change, I'm normally a loner when I run and that's how I like it, but my motivation has been low this week so I was glad for the change,
    8.45 miles 13.6 K in 1:14 which is 8:47 pace.
    Today is normally a rest day but I have to work tomorrow, my first time since September and its a once off aswell, and I just couldnt pictur working and running on the same day, so thank God I'm a stay at home dad, and roll on September when there both in school:)

What terrible weather, but after reading showry's log, I was game. It rained the whole time and the wind was so bad, there were trees in my way, one fell 10 meters in front of me, and while up the mountains I felt guilty about passing big branches in the middle of the road ( I kept picturing an accident happening) so I moved them and a wheely bin, I now know I like the blackcurrant carbo mix thing.
    17.25 miles 27.75K in 2 hours 42 mins 9:25 pace, and my heart rate stayed at 70%, so happy with this, brings milage for the week to 44.7.

Thankfully just missed the rain, 5 miles 8K in 42 mins 8:25 pace, legs a little stiff and had to run in a differnt pair of runners as my kayano are still soaked from yesterday. Weights later tonight.

Decided late last night, that I would give the Raheny 2 mile race a go,just to see where I'm at speed wise so , surprised myself with 13:14:D, 6:37 pace.
    I went through the first mile in 6:24 way too fast, and the second one in 6:50. I was shattered after, heart rate maxed at 192 and average was 181,
    If I do it next week I def won't be doing weights 5 hours before hand in an effort to go sub 13, the weights drain me a little. Went indoor football after the race, so absolutely wrecked,
    Shame the southside don't have a similar series as it took me an 1 hour 15 to get there.

Very tired today, managed 6.43 miles at 9 min pace, legs where tired but heart rate was my lowest yet, 149, 67%
    Ive done myself a new program, Ill throw it up tomorrow, time to take the training to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Woodle fair play to you. You are certainly putting the work. Is your next target race the 5 mile in the Park ?

• Advertisement

Cheers, and yes I'm targeting a 35min 5 miler, I reckon 36 would have been more appropriate, but I'm an optimist. I have a new training schedule which will start next week.
    Today Weights
    Barbell curl 22.5K,6,6,6,5
    Upright Row 22.5K,6,6,6,5
    Squats 22.5K,10,10,10,10
    Shoulder Press 22.5K,5,5,5,4
    Deadlift 40K,10,10,10,10
    45K,5
    47.5K,5
    50K,5
    55K,3

Bench Press 22.5K,5
    27.5K,5