Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

squinn2912 wrote: »
    That’s just sh1tty. Sorry to hear it. Cow ok?

Ye shes a bit mad. She didn't mind me handling her in shed but when she saw ths vet I had to put her in the crush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye shes a bit mad. She didn't mind me handling her in shed but when she saw ths vet I had to put her in the crush.
    I've had pbr's cows/bulls that would have been shown around the country at various shows when they were calves at foot with their dams, weanlings, in-calf heifers, etc. Irrespective of how calm/docile they were on the halter they always reacted when the Vet came. I reckon they remembered the various TB jabs. Often had some that had to be loaded into the crush before the Vet arrived otherwise they would jump a five bar gate and the last you would see of them is their tails up heading across country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

It's only the 3rd of feb, well over 20% calved, milkers and maiden heifers out full time last 2wks, feels like a warm April morning today. Couldn't ask for a better start, what else will the spring bring however ha?

Another set of twins. Another vet job. 4 legs coming together. Both dead. 3 sets of twins so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Another set of twins. Another vet job. 4 legs coming together. Both dead. 3 sets of twins so far

He second set this morning at 4, first one alive just about, second one dead. Feckin hate twins. It had one set i think last year so will prob have more than average this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Mooooo wrote: »
    He second set this morning at 4, first one alive just about, second one dead. Feckin hate twins. It had one set i think last year so will prob have more than average this year

Far safer with the one good calf. They're always a siege

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭stanflt

Just a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

stanflt wrote: »
    Just a few

Bloody waiting for tags here off them which were ordered the 20th Jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Timmaay wrote: »

Ordered mine just after Christmas, got them last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭emaherx

Just a few

Busy few hours :D

endainoz wrote: »
    Ordered mine just after Christmas, got them last week.

I was very good and ordered mine af the end of November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was very good and ordered mine af the end of November.

Same here, got caught once and have a reminder on my phone to order at the end of November in case I forget.

A few in bagging up now, one might go before morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Timmaay wrote: »

Ordered the 13th here. Still waiting.
    Rang last week and I'm supposed to be in the batch going out this week from tomorrow on.

According to that you'll be next week.

Ordered the 13th here. Still waiting.
    Rang last week and I'm supposed to be in the batch going out this week from tomorrow on.

According to that you'll be next week.

Is that cormac or mullinahone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,776 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is that cormac or mullinahone?

Mullinahone of course..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just a few

About time ya got them sorted

Reggie. wrote: »
    About time ya got them sorted

For an army man I was surprised you couldn’t even handle a few hols calves this morning

For an army man I was surprised you couldn’t even handle a few hols calves this morning

He prefers angus dont ya know?

He prefers angus dont ya know?

Oh I know- I don’t know how he handles them thou

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Mullinahone of course..

Cormac turn around is a few days , very efficient crowd

• Advertisement

Now do you really want to go there. Shall I mention the slurry tower

I think they are gone dearer than mullinahone now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Gave Cormac a real mixed bag order..... Calf tags.. Replacement cattle tags.. Factory lamb tags. Sets of EID sheep tags. Replacement sheep tags.

All in the door in 5 days under 1 postage cost. Would have been happy with 2 weeks turnaround.

If they were twice as dear as mullinahone I'd still order off them after putting up with their crap service for over 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Now do you really want to go there. Shall I mention the slurry tower

This deserves a thread of its own Reggie go on spill what did he do now !!!!!

mahoney_j wrote: »
    This deserves a thread of its own Reggie go on spill what did he do now !!!!!

I noticed he was giving you guff yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭golodge

Had the first calf born on the 2nd of February, massive charx bull calf, but calved okay. Two more due at the end of month, then three due in March and then the main calving will start with all heifers and cows in April. All Ai calves, so fingers crossed that everything will be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I noticed he was giving you guff yesterday

Yep but no mods to report him to ,.really hurt my feelings ..........

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Yep but no mods to report him to ,.really hurt my feelings ..........

Somehow I think you'll survive

Mine seem to be taking 2 weeks with them

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Another vet job here yesterday. First calver. I left her alone for a decent while but handled her when not much progress was being made. Calf coming backwards and two huge legs so on to the vet straight away. Got the calf out okay although we had a bit of a job even out the side door. Huge bull calf. He hasn't stood since. I managed to milk a bit out of the cow and he drank it alright which was positive. Got a bit more into him this morning before work and my BIL will feed it this afternoon (hopefully it will still be alive). Not been the easiest calving season so far. Wrecked again today at work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

What kind of bull is the calf off?

tanko wrote: »
    What kind of bull is the calf off?

My own Limo stock bull. All other calves so far have been handy sized in fairness but this lad is a monster in comparison.

Parishlad wrote: »
    Another vet job here yesterday. First calver. I left her alone for a decent while but handled her when not much progress was being made. Calf coming backwards and two huge legs so on to the vet straight away. Got the calf out okay although we had a bit of a job even out the side door. Huge bull calf. He hasn't stood since. I managed to milk a bit out of the cow and he drank it alright which was positive. Got a bit more into him this morning before work and my BIL will feed it this afternoon (hopefully it will still be alive). Not been the easiest calving season so far. Wrecked again today at work!

Best of luck, think of these days the day you sell him and that will make it worth the while. I had an awful time getting a heifer to take to her bull calf. Got them sold 6 weeks later for £1600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

orm0nd wrote: »
    Gave Cormac a real mixed bag order..... Calf tags.. Replacement cattle tags.. Factory lamb tags. Sets of EID sheep tags. Replacement sheep tags.

All in the door in 5 days under 1 postage cost. Would have been happy with 2 weeks turnaround.

If they were twice as dear as mullinahone I'd still order off them after putting up with their crap service for over 20 years.

And their tags don't fall out for no apparent reason.

And their tags don't fall out for no apparent reason.

What's the empty rate like for bvd samples?

What's the empty rate like for bvd samples?

I only had 1 so far out of about 150. You just need to be careful the little circular cutter hasn't fallen off the tag before you tag them. It won't take the sample if it has.

Had forth calf here this morning. 4th ch heifer in a row, handy enough but had a nice pull with her. Cow probably a bit over conditioned not helping matters.

Best of luck, think of these days the day you sell him and that will make it worth the while. I had an awful time getting a heifer to take to her bull calf. Got them sold 6 weeks later for £1600

Thanks! He's just after flooring 2 litres so he is lively and trying to stand. Just need to get his hind legs sorted. He's very bent over at the knuckles so a bit of physio will be called for later I guess.

Had forth calf here this morning. 4th ch heifer in a row, handy enough but had a nice pull with her. Cow probably a bit over conditioned not helping matters.

That cow is in some order! Strange I'd have expected the calf colour to follow the ch bull more so. Nice comfortable pen too.

• Advertisement

That cow is in some order! Strange I'd have expected the calf colour to follow the ch bull more so. Nice comfortable pen too.

She was still wet in the pic. Came a grand colour out of a black cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

She is a nice colour and a fair size calf god bless her, by the look of the bag on the cow she will make some job of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Shed working as planned, I see. No regrets building it?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Shed working as planned, I see. No regrets building it?

Only that I didn't make it 4 times the size it is.

Twin set number 3 landed, bull and heifer running at near 10% twins now hope that trend stops soon. Still 20 odd heifer calves in the group

I rang the vets yesterday to calve a cow with twins. I gave my eircode. About 40 minutes later I got a call from the vet that he was on the road and for me to come and get him. This fela had been out on a call to me last week and had used the eircode to get here. I drove around and couldn't find him. He rang again , wanting me to go find him, I said I didn't know where he was. I rang the office and they got him to a pub a couple of miles away and I met him there. It was over an hour after I called that he was in my yard. He kept saying my eircode was wrong. He looked back in his diary and it was the same as the one he used last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I rang the vets yesterday to calve a cow with twins. I gave my eircode. About 40 minutes later I got a call from the vet that he was on the road and for me to come and get him. This fela had been out on a call to me last week and had used the eircode to get here. I drove around and couldn't find him. He rang again , wanting me to go find him, I said I didn't know where he was. I rang the office and they got him to a pub a couple of miles away and I met him there. It was over an hour after I called that he was in my yard. He kept saying my eircode was wrong. He looked back in his diary and it was the same as the one he used last week.
    Unfortunately there has been a nationwide demise in large animal Veterinary practitioners. Thankfully our Vet continues to service our herd but unfortunately has reduced the number of BTE herds that they used to attend in order to concentrate on the more lucrative market of small animals/pets.

That’s a big change when dry. Some turn out of a team.

After all my yapping we had a set of twin bulls today. Vet assisted and all ok. Got biesling into them twice they haven’t sucked yet but can now both stand and walk a bit, one doing well. Should tighten up ok. Best thing, we both had thought the cow was down to 2 spins but three are milking so she should be fit for them

Fine heifer calf at 3.30 this morning from a fleckveih cross fecking stillborn. No hard pull or slow calving or anything. Right sickener

Calved a big old cow there calf was backwards. Legs bent back.All good. Off to watch football for an hour to destress.

• Advertisement
Advertisement